Klatt Resigns

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Wet Paint

Post by Wet Paint »

WestMetro wrote:Myself don't see anything wrong with an 18 year old captain putting out a very general note that some things happened that shouldn't have , whole team apologizes to community, and will work hard to avoid in the future. I would certainly very much respect such a step.
A quick look at their roster and I think their captains are all off playing Jr hockey. They will probably be back in town just in time to pick up their diploma so I suppose you will see the note in mid june or so.
scoreandscoreoften

Post by scoreandscoreoften »

So does Klatts decision affect the decisions of the two underclassmen accepting spots on the U17 team? I read 4 have already said yes with a fifth undecided. Are they both gone???
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Yes I know where they are. And also know it wouldnt take long to punch up a statement, including praise and thanks for Trent , and send it to BobLee
Usthockey13

Post by Usthockey13 »

scoreandscoreoften wrote:So does Klatts decision affect the decisions of the two underclassmen accepting spots on the U17 team? I read 4 have already said yes with a fifth undecided. Are they both gone???
I bet know both will say yes and head to NDP. The question now is what does Miller do? Stay or head to Jrs
grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 »

This is very surprising to me for sure. I felt like the next few years were going to be a nice run. I hope everything works out for the best.
green4

Post by green4 »

There is no way he was asked to resigned based on kids drinking. It is more likely he was asked to resigned because of the medal fiasco than the kids drinking. I get that the kids broke the rules, but to get rid of a coach because kids are being kids and celebrating a successful season is beyond ridiculous.
GoldenBear69

Post by GoldenBear69 »

Excerpt from Klatt's statement - "I thought that I was going to have enough time to do my job as a scout for the NY Islanders and coach the high school team. It has become clear to me that I do not have the time needed to do both to the level that is required."
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

green4 wrote:There is no way he was asked to resigned based on kids drinking. It is more likely he was asked to resigned because of the medal fiasco than the kids drinking. I get that the kids broke the rules, but to get rid of a coach because kids are being kids and celebrating a successful season is beyond ridiculous.
Giving Blake that medal wasn't a fiasco, was a nice gesture IMO. I don't know all the details, but understand why he resigned. I feel let down as a fan as to those responsible for this. It is just awful that the bright future GR had to look forward to is gone.
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

My guess this just wasn't a one time drinking celebration. Maybe this has been part of the problem with the under achieving and inconsistent play the last few years. Some players follow the rules and others don't. Losing Klatt is a big blow for future years. Maybe some lessons learned?
green4

Post by green4 »

TheHockeyDJ wrote:
green4 wrote:There is no way he was asked to resigned based on kids drinking. It is more likely he was asked to resigned because of the medal fiasco than the kids drinking. I get that the kids broke the rules, but to get rid of a coach because kids are being kids and celebrating a successful season is beyond ridiculous.
Giving Blake that medal wasn't a fiasco, was a nice gesture IMO. I don't know all the details, but understand why he resigned. I feel let down as a fan as to those responsible for this. It is just awful that the bright future GR had to look forward to is gone.
That's my point, the medal thing isn't a big deal, teenagers drinking is even less of a deal. Literally happens at every high school in America. And I do mean literally
kniven

Post by kniven »

green4 wrote:
TheHockeyDJ wrote:
That's my point, the medal thing isn't a big deal, teenagers drinking is even less of a deal. Literally happens at every high school in America. And I do mean literally
If high school hockey was easy/no rules, everybody would do it. The "hard" makes it great :)
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

Best I can do to tell the story for now: http://apatientcycle.com/2016/03/25/exit-trent-klatt/
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

green4 wrote:
TheHockeyDJ wrote:
Then go play junior gold or don't play sports, playing is a privilege. Every kid knows the rules and consequences, they even give their word to abide by them. That's why it is a big deal. He rewarded a kid who broke the rules, making underage drinking an accepted behavior on his team, sending the message he didn't care about MSHSL rules. Then while he was in charge more drinking happend under his nose. Whatever his knowledge or complacency was on the drinking he had to go, there is no way the school district could allow that to happen.

If these kids couldn't not drink over the three months a hockey season lasts then they have a huge sense of entitlement, a problem with alcohol, or both. Underage drinking is a big deal, just because it is common doesn't make it OK, and certainly doesn't justify it.
greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider »

Well said Goldy.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Good perspective Karl!

And good reporting by BobLee last night on GRHS Hockey.

Any mainstream media coverage yet?

A bad/sad series of events for one of the states most storied programs which was on top of the world after the Section 7 win just a month ago
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

goldy313 wrote:Underage drinking is a big deal, just because it is common doesn't make it OK, and certainly doesn't justify it.
A LONG TIME AGO, as a 9th grader, I was the last guy cut from my high school team. There was no JV, so I returned to my community's program for 14-15 year olds, which back then was called "midgets". Then, about two-thirds through the season, three guys were dismissed from the high school team after they were caught drinking. Back then that was the penalty for this offense - you were out for the rest of the season. But that was my ticket to varsity hockey, so even though the team wasn't as good with me and two other younger guys replacing three more experienced and talented upper classmen, we didn't complain. And the coach, to the best of my knowledge, was completely unaware of the drinking incident until it became known. So there was never even a thought of him losing his coaching position (and rightfully so, IMO).

Looking back now, and upon reading this story, goldy313's quote above struck home. Over the years, I don't know what led to the penalty being reduced from having to miss the rest of the season to just a few games, but I wonder what the effect would be if the penalty hadn't been reduced along the way? I assume that such a stiffer penalty would deter underage drinking by high school athletes, but to what degree?
green4

Post by green4 »

goldy313 wrote:
green4 wrote:
TheHockeyDJ wrote: Giving Blake that medal wasn't a fiasco, was a nice gesture IMO. I don't know all the details, but understand why he resigned. I feel let down as a fan as to those responsible for this. It is just awful that the bright future GR had to look forward to is gone.
Then go play junior gold or don't play sports, playing is a privilege. Every kid knows the rules and consequences, they even give their word to abide by them. That's why it is a big deal. He rewarded a kid who broke the rules, making underage drinking an accepted behavior on his team, sending the message he didn't care about MSHSL rules. Then while he was in charge more drinking happend under his nose. Whatever his knowledge or complacency was on the drinking he had to go, there is no way the school district could allow that to happen.

If these kids couldn't not drink over the three months a hockey season lasts then they have a huge sense of entitlement, a problem with alcohol, or both. Underage drinking is a big deal, just because it is common doesn't make it OK, and certainly doesn't justify it.
I never said it was okay, I just don't believe it is a coach's responsibility to watch his players in their free time.
Perhaps I could have worded my previous statement differently, because underaged drinking is a huge issue, absolutely. But that has more to do with American society's perspective and acceptance of the substance.
My issue is firing a man who had kids "drinking under his nose". If that is the case then you better fire about 95% of high school and college coaches in this country, because "Whatever their knowledge or complacency" it is happening, and firing this coach will not change that.
My other issue is how the only two options given for why these kids coudn't stop drinking over a 3 month season is because they are entitled or have substance abuse issues. I'll toss out a 3rd one, they are kids. Part of being a kid is doing stupid stuff, breaking rules. It is partly how we learn. Because what these kids did was stupid, it was irresponsible and they should know better, but now they have taken away a job from a man who they all probably really cared about, just because they did some stupid, kid stuff. I don't condone what they did, but I personally don't believe they deserve the blood on their hands for another person's job when they were responsible. If you want to send a message, kick the kids off the team because like you said, it is a privilege to play for your school and if they don't see that, take away the opportunity.
I just think it could have been handled much better in a different way.
Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

goldy313 wrote:
green4 wrote:
TheHockeyDJ wrote: Giving Blake that medal wasn't a fiasco, was a nice gesture IMO. I don't know all the details, but understand why he resigned. I feel let down as a fan as to those responsible for this. It is just awful that the bright future GR had to look forward to is gone.

Are you kidding me Goldy? You can't put this on the coach. Let he who never did anything stupid as a 17 year old cast the first stone.
ndirishfighting

Post by ndirishfighting »

In my opinion Grand Rapids got what was coming to them.
Have such a rich,storied and traditional program.

You can't put all the blame on the coaches.

How about the parents, the players and there peers? Get a pair and step up!
Oh but wait we are from Grand Rapids we can do whatever the he double hockey sticks we want, cause we are better than everyone else.

Also as far as the whole medal thing as I was told he would of served a two week suspension just like a player.

As far as the players in trouble. Go play the whole season of a spring or fall sport and you don't have to sit out and miss any hockey.
If your not gonna play a spring or fall sport then miss the first two weeks and at most 3-5 games depends how the schedule is made out.
They’re kids NOT PROFESSIONALS
It’s just a game!
The Next One

Post by The Next One »

If the rumors are true and rapids players were drinking Saturday in the hotel I have 2 questions: why would they stay over on Saturday instead of going home? And is staying Saturday common practice among state entrants?
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

One of our teammates got kicked off because of drinking after the sections, so let's celebrate at the state tournament by drinking in the hotel on a school sponsored event.
JohnnyBuck

Post by JohnnyBuck »

a lot of assumptions thrown out here on why Klatt quit. Maybe he quit because he didn't have time, just like he said? What is the big deal? Time to move on. All the speculation about he drinking incident is getting old. And to put this on Klatt is ridiculous. The incident took place last summer. How is that his fault? All I can say is the East kids better look around every tree when they decide to have a beer this summer.
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

Why the shot at East?
ndirishfighting

Post by ndirishfighting »

They stayed on Saturday to go to the mr hockey banquet, usually you stay and go if you have someone nominated and could win it
They’re kids NOT PROFESSIONALS
It’s just a game!
grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 »

ndirishfighting wrote:In my opinion Grand Rapids got what was coming to them.
Have such a rich,storied and traditional program.

You can't put all the blame on the coaches.

How about the parents, the players and there peers? Get a pair and step up!
Oh but wait we are from Grand Rapids we can do whatever the he double hockey sticks we want, cause we are better than everyone else.

Also as far as the whole medal thing as I was told he would of served a two week suspension just like a player.

As far as the players in trouble. Go play the whole season of a spring or fall sport and you don't have to sit out and miss any hockey.
If your not gonna play a spring or fall sport then miss the first two weeks and at most 3-5 games depends how the schedule is made out.
I agree that if players were drinking they should pay the penalty for it. Whatever that may be.

Not really sure what the GR tradition has to do with it though. I would be willing to bet that 99.9% of the people in GR have no idea what players may or may not be doing in their free time. I would also bet that 99.9% of the people in every other community have no idea what their players are doing either.

When you get to high school age you have to be able to make your own decisions and when you inevitably make some some bad ones, you need to be held accountable. It sounds to me like that is happening in this case.

Things like this have been happening since time began and they will continue to happen as long as there are humans involved.

I don't blame any adults for any of the decisions I made as a high school kid. (And I made some stupid decisions too.)

I think it's a shame that a very fun season had to end up like this. But it is what it is. It's time to pay the penalties and get it in the rear view mirror.

I also believe it's a shame that Coach Klatt resigned. I think he had a good plan laid out for the program. IMHO.