Wayzata vs Ep- thoughts?

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

green4

Wayzata vs Ep- thoughts?

Post by green4 »

There wasn't a thread fr the game and I'm itching to hear what people thought so I am making this now. I thought it was a fun, exciting game. I have a small bias against ep, so I'm glad wayzata won, but I also like watching schools win their first title.
I thought the refs called it a bit too tight, and if EP won I might have complained a little more about te Sorenson major, but no need now.
I know it is unlikely, but with a loss like that, maybe mittlestedt returns to EP.

Anyways, what did the rest of you think of te game?
topcheese9

Post by topcheese9 »

Wayzata played the more complete game and deserved this one. They were winning the 50/50 battles, tighter in their own end. Wayzata was clogging the middle and making it tough for EP to get those premium looks. One heck of a game though that still could've went either way.

I would also like to talk about Mittelstadt. That kids talent is off the charts. Does anyone else feel like they are watching Patty Kane? I realize its a super lofty comparison but I think Casey could be a top 10 pick when he's draft eligible....
Nuts&Bolts

Post by Nuts&Bolts »

Somebody please just explain how Hacking Hank makes the all tournament team. One assist in three games and Wayzata's best 5 minutes all week is when he's sitting in the box for a major. He really did little to nothing other than run around looking for heads. There were at least 2 other Wayzata D men that were much better on the ice all tournament.

Another string for the refereeing but at least two hits tonight would 'easily' have lead to game DQs. No consistency in the regular season and state tournament.
topcheese9

Post by topcheese9 »

Also, O'Learys timeout was just what the doctor ordered. People will probably forget about that but it was a huge factor in their turnaround.
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

The bestt game of the tournament.

I thought the first major was a clear cut call, the second was close but I still agree with the 5 minutes, boarding is an automatic major now. You can't, as a league, preach safety then on the biggest stage ignore it. The hits were getting high at that point and escalating. He took a good run at him.

I give Wayzata a ton of credit for fighting back and putting the pressure on EP after the time out. The flip side is up 3-1and a five minute power play EP should have put Wayzata away, in my opinion it is pretty embarrassing they didn't. Smith let the game get away I thought.

O'leary rolling 4 lines through the first two games payed off huge in that 3rd period, EP looked gassed while Wayzata still had legs. The best team won, not the teams with all the superstars.

Coolest thing of the night.......Wayzata students dancing and clapping along with the Grand Rapids band doing the song during the Stillwater timeout.
TheNightman

Post by TheNightman »

Nuts&Bolts wrote:Somebody please just explain how Hacking Hank makes the all tournament team. One assist in three games and Wayzata's best 5 minutes all week is when he's sitting in the box for a major. He really did little to nothing other than run around looking for heads. There were at least 2 other Wayzata D men that were much better on the ice all tournament.

Another string for the refereeing but at least two hits tonight would 'easily' have lead to game DQs. No consistency in the regular season and state tournament.
He is their best defensive defenseman, and if you don't believe me, O'Leary would tell you the same.
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

I got to agree with nutsandbolts here
He wasn't their best defenseman in this tournament.
meridian90

Post by meridian90 »

Nuts&Bolts wrote:Somebody please just explain how Hacking Hank makes the all tournament team. One assist in three games and Wayzata's best 5 minutes all week is when he's sitting in the box for a major. He really did little to nothing other than run around looking for heads. There were at least 2 other Wayzata D men that were much better on the ice all tournament.

I talked to a guy working in the scorer's box after the game. Hank was about 1 word away from getting tossed, after being given about 10 chances to stop swearing at officials and scorers in the box. Pretty classless.
green4

Post by green4 »

The first major was clearly worth 5, but my issue with it was that the ref didn't call anything until he noticed the EP player was slow getting up. Wayzata definitely possessed the puxk between the call and the hit. I'm pretty sure they even took a shot. It was clearly a penalty, but if you are gonna make the call, make the call.

I don't think the 2nd one was a major, but if they want to call it tight that is fine, but then Johannes' high elbow hit should have been 5 too. It was just as dangerous and worthy as Sorenson's
Just my opinion on those two calls
green4

Post by green4 »

meridian90 wrote:

I talked to a guy working in the scorer's box after the game. Hank was about 1 word away from getting tossed, after being given about 10 chances to stop swearing at officials and scorers in the box. Pretty classless.
if you watched him through the handshake line and his post game press conference I think you would think he is full of class.
Kids get emotional and I don't doubt he had some choice words for the officials, but I don't think that makes him classless. I'm not sure I believe him swearing at scorers in the box, that doesn't really make sense.
Nuts&Bolts

Post by Nuts&Bolts »

Best defenseman when? He played pretty good last year at times. If O'Leary would call him the best D man in this tournament for them then I don't think much of him as a coach. And when the ref comes over to the box and opens the door to tell the player to shut his mouth while pointing at him there's a problem. Can't think of a time when a player avoided at least a 10 minute misconduct for the mouth. Anyone within about 15 rows of the penalty box could hear the mental outburst.
meridian90

Post by meridian90 »

green4 wrote:
meridian90 wrote:

if you watched him through the handshake line and his post game press conference I think you would think he is full of class.
Kids get emotional and I don't doubt he had some choice words for the officials, but I don't think that makes him classless. I'm not sure I believe him swearing at scorers in the box, that doesn't really make sense.
Was throwing F bombs etc at the box attendants and scorers for telling him to sit down and watch his mouth, that's when they called the official back over.

It's easy to be classy after you've won the game. but it has to be an all the time thing. He deserved the penalty he got.

I was surprised the EP player didn't get 5 in the third for the elbow though.
green4

Post by green4 »

meridian90 wrote:
green4 wrote:
meridian90 wrote: I talked to a guy working in the scorer's box after the game. Hank was about 1 word away from getting tossed, after being given about 10 chances to stop swearing at officials and scorers in the box. Pretty classless.
Was throwing F bombs etc at the box attendants and scorers for telling him to sit down and watch his mouth, that's when they called the official back over.

It's easy to be classy after you've won the game. but it has to be an all the time thing. He deserved the penalty he got.

I guess I just don't have an issue with that. To be honest I don't think the storekeepers should try to get involved because with an emotional kid it can really only escalate.
I think at that age if you make a play that you think is clean and you get run up for 5 minutes, nothin is gonna change your mind and youre gonna be upset.
I don't think it is right to run your mouth at officials, it's not respectful, but he is a kid who will learn. It's an emotional game and you have to learn how to contain that emotion, but I don't think that makes him a classless person because he became irate.
meridian90

Post by meridian90 »

green4 wrote:
meridian90 wrote:
green4 wrote: if you watched him through the handshake line and his post game press conference I think you would think he is full of class.

I guess I just don't have an issue with that. To be honest I don't think the storekeepers should try to get involved because with an emotional kid it can really only escalate.
I think at that age if you make a play that you think is clean and you get run up for 5 minutes, nothin is gonna change your mind and youre gonna be upset.
I don't think it is right to run your mouth at officials, it's not respectful, but he is a kid who will learn. It's an emotional game and you have to learn how to contain that emotion, but I don't think that makes him a classless person because he became irate.
I've seen 4-5 kids be tossed in the regular season over the past two years for less egregious use of colorful language.

I don't care how emotional you are, if an official asks you to sit down, you don't just respond with a "F*** you."
green4

Post by green4 »

meridian90 wrote:
green4 wrote:
meridian90 wrote: Was throwing F bombs etc at the box attendants and scorers for telling him to sit down and watch his mouth, that's when they called the official back over.

I've seen 4-5 kids be tossed in the regular season over the past two years for less egregious use of colorful language.

I don't care how emotional you are, if an official asks you to sit down, you don't just respond with a "F*** you."
I don't disagree, he should have been tossed if he said that, I once got tossed for telling a ref he missed an icing.
My point is, I don't think that makes him a classless person, that is all.
Probably best to move on from this subject. I think my views will be different then most of the members on here and I don't want to get hung up on this subject.
north_bear

Post by north_bear »

Congrats Wayzata on your first title! Glad to see you guys get it done. Shutting down Casey is imperative when facing EP and the Trojans D was up to the task.

Also, very cool to see the Wayzata student section join forces with the Rapids students during the 3rd place game. They were chanting RRRAAAPPPIIIDDDSSS and several other things to Stillwater. Made the atmosphere much more lively with limited overall crowd numbers.
Thunderhawk Fanatic!!
Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

green4 wrote:
meridian90 wrote:
green4 wrote: if you watched him through the handshake line and his post game press conference I think you would think he is full of class.

You're 100% correct in my opinion.
Ogie

Post by Ogie »

Everything I suspended my ski season in SLC for.

Damn, I love the tourney. :D
Buy ya a soda after the game!
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

topcheese9 wrote:Also, O'Learys timeout was just what the doctor ordered. People will probably forget about that but it was a huge factor in their turnaround.
It was the turning point of the game. Wayzata was hitting hard but illegally for almost 2 full periods. It ended there, they stayed out of the box and played brilliantly from then on. I thought it was over at 3-1, but the Trojans kept believing and proved they were the better team tonight. They had the best goalie in the tournament and that proved to be a bigger difference than Mittelstadt. EP's goalie was not great tonight and that lost the game. Congrats to Wayzata on their first hockey title.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

Congrats to the Trojans on their championship (and for giving me a perfect AA bracket). :D

It was a fantastic game, probably the most entertaining final to a neutral in 10+ years outside of East-EP in 2011. As others have noted, the timeout was crucial, and once the Trojans sprung Paterson and Duma for the shorty, you could feel the momentum swing. After that, they locked in defensively, sustained some great zone time that allowed them to expose EP where they were weakest (in net), and wore things down. Wayzata's 4th line got a shift with under 3 minutes to go, and while I'm sure that caused the Trojan faithful's hearts to skip a few beats, it shows what confidence he has in his depth and his style that he's managed to get the whole team to buy into. This was a team where literally everyone on the bench contributed to a title, though probably none more so than the man in the net, Schilling. That's championship hockey.

On the majors: I thought the first major was legit, and the 2nd looked more like 2 for charging, but like goldy explained, if they do follow the league's stance to the letter, you understand why they called it.

On Hank: You either love him or you hate him. He takes things to absurd levels, and I've heard so many stories that at some point I basically just laugh at them all and just say it's Hank being Hank. Nothing he does surprises me anymore. Yes, to make it at a higher level, he is going to have to find a way to reel himself in some. Whatever antics he pulls, though, he is an awfully good defensive defenseman. O'Leary said it straight up in the first press conference: he is what he uses to shut down other teams' top players. He basically did that in three straight games. O'Leary doesn't really line match with forwards, but he does with his D, and Hank is always on the other teams' best. He held Casey in check quite a few times tonight (just one point, after 11 in the first two games), and his hits get the entire team going. Love him or hate him, he is Wayzata's most important skater, and he has a goofy energy that infects the whole bench. You see a lot of him in how this team plays.
GP4Lhockey

Post by GP4Lhockey »

karl(east) wrote:Congrats to the Trojans on their championship (and for giving me a perfect AA bracket). :D

It was a fantastic game, probably the most entertaining final to a neutral in 10+ years outside of East-EP in 2011. As others have noted, the timeout was crucial, and once the Trojans sprung Paterson and Duma for the shorty, you could feel the momentum swing. After that, they locked in defensively, sustained some great zone time that allowed them to expose EP where they were weakest (in net), and wore things down. Wayzata's 4th line got a shift with under 3 minutes to go, and while I'm sure that caused the Trojan faithful's hearts to skip a few beats, it shows what confidence he has in his depth and his style that he's managed to get the whole team to buy into. This was a team where literally everyone on the bench contributed to a title, though probably none more so than the man in the net, Schilling. That's championship hockey.

On the majors: I thought the first major was legit, and the 2nd looked more like 2 for charging, but like goldy explained, if they do follow the league's stance to the letter, you understand why they called it.

On Hank: You either love him or you hate him. He takes things to absurd levels, and I've heard so many stories that at some point I basically just laugh at them all and just say it's Hank being Hank. Nothing he does surprises me anymore. Yes, to make it at a higher level, he is going to have to find a way to reel himself in some. Whatever antics he pulls, though, he is an awfully good defensive defenseman. O'Leary said it straight up in the first press conference: he is what he uses to shut down other teams' top players. He basically did that in three straight games. O'Leary doesn't really line match with forwards, but he does with his D, and Hank is always on the other teams' best. He held Casey in check quite a few times tonight (just one point, after 11 in the first two games), and his hits get the entire team going. Love him or hate him, he is Wayzata's most important skater, and he has a goofy energy that infects the whole bench. You see a lot of him in how this team plays.
Couldn't agree more about Hank. He's an absolutely wonderful player and through some of his negatives I think he makes up for it with the things he brings to the table. His offensive ability is great in moving the puck and finding lanes to get his shot through. He also like you said is great defensively. The biggest thing is when his team is flat or on their heels he can spark them with his big hits. The energy he can fuel his team with is what K think is his biggest contribution.
sherwood

Post by sherwood »

Congrats to Wayzata for winning their first state championship!!

Being one of Wayzata's biggest fans I would like all the Wayzata haters earlier on in the year to enjoy shoving a sock in your mouth after tonight. (Look down to the Wayzata thread below) Wayzata has proven to be the best & deepest team in the state.

Little note on EP, Middlestadt's talent is out of this world. He'll definitely go far in Hockey.

On to the 5 minute. Patterson's 5 is understandable. Sorenson's is a little weak, but I get if its a rule then you gotta put him in. Personally, I think 2 5 minute penalties in a state championship game is overkill, but rules are rules. BUT, you need to call Both ways though. For stripes to not put in Johannes in after that elbow was complete bush league if you ask me, in the case that Hank went in for 5 min for a similar penalty.

Following up on Hank. Personally I think most people that hate him, hate him cuz they ain't him. I don't care what you think, besides Schilling, he is their most valuable player. Believe me, I've watched him since he was a freshman which most of you have probably seen him just at the tourney or in bits and pieces. He knows how to shut down opponent's top forwards and had proven to over and over again. Besides that, he sets a great tone for the team. Yes, many times he could keep his mouth shut, but you know what, like they said above he is an emotional player. As competitive as they come. He's the fire to their team.

Speaking of strong D, Anderson is a huge addition to their team's strong defense. He's calm with the puck & solid D all around. Great pick for N.O.

Schilling, no words needed. Hats off to him.

All around, Wayzata plays as a team with no shining stars (Besides Shilling) & that's what won them the '16 State Champs title.

O'leary's coaching style has paid off after he became a tad more 'offensive' after the new year. So congrats to him & the team!!
Last edited by sherwood on Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jonandrews13

Post by jonandrews13 »

Congrats to Wayzata on their first State Championship. Welcome to the club, boys. I was hoping Eden Prairie would take it since they have been one of my teams for a long time now. The Trojans were the best team this week though and they earned this championship. Great defensively and in goal. Also were opportunistic and scored when they needed to. Looking forward to next year already. Seemed like I blinked my eyes Thursday morning only to open them and Wayzata was throwing their helmets, gloves, and sticks in the air in celebration. Hope everyone here had a great time this week. I know I did.
I need ER vs BJ from 2002 State Quarterfinals. PM me.
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

This is the first time I have seen Middlestat play. Does he play this motivated all the time? Every time he was on the ice he was dangerous. Will he be back, or will he play USHL or would his family adviser push him to major junior thinking he could be a top 5 pick?
gorilla1

Post by gorilla1 »

Most people hate Sorenson because he is an unbelievably cheap player. He should have been DQ'd last night as well. He left the ice on the hit,on top of a head shot. Rumblings are he's even been kicked off other team because of his cheap play. He is exactly the kind of player that should not be playing the game. Hats off to Wayzata for the win. EP had to work hard for their goals and giving up 2 easy ones that most goalies would have stopped was there undoing. Can't let Wayzata have a lead in third cause they just clog up the middle and did a nice job last night doing that as well.