AA QF: Anoka vs. #1 Eden Prairie

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins?

Tornadoes
19%
Eagles
81%

Total votes: 32

karl(east)

AA QF: Anoka vs. #1 Eden Prairie

Post by karl(east) »

ANOKA VS. #1 EDEN PRAIRIE
-The preseason favorite, star-studded Eagles face a north metro upstart in primetime. These two last played in 2012, in a game won by Eden Prairie.

Anoka (18-9, #22, 3-seed in 5AA)
State appearances: 6 (first since 2003)
Championships: 1 (2003)
Key section wins: 6-2 vs. #13 Centennial, 6-3 vs. #25 Maple Grove
-The Tornadoes are the biggest surprise at the Tourney this season, as both Blaine and Centennial fell in the 5AA playoffs. Their unquestioned star is Isaac Johnson (23), a junior with serious upside; Michael Talbot (16), Blake Neumann (19), and Reese Grailer (20) also put up strong regular season points totals. A capable defense is led by Travis Hudek (6) and Colin Hans (12). They’ve been streaky, as they lost six in a row before starting the ten-game streak that has carried them through to State. The Tornadoes’ hopes at an upset rest on goaltender Spencer Olson (29), trying to contain Casey Mittelstadt, and looking for occasional opportunities, perhaps by using their strong power play.

Eden Prairie (19-7-2, #8, 2-seed in 2AA)
State appearances: 9 (3 in a row)
State championships: 2 (2009, 2011)
Key section wins: 4-2 vs. #7 Holy Family, 4-2 vs. #16 Prior Lake
-The road wasn’t always smooth, but the Eagles were the preseason #1, and are one of the few preseason favorites to make it to the Tourney. Casey Mittelstadt (11) is the state’s finest player, and his jaw-dropping moves are enough to give the Eagles the favorite tag. Michael Graham (16), a Mr. Hockey finalist, anchors a second line that includes potent seniors Cole Lawrence (17) and Nolan Sullivan (12). Offensive-minded Nicky Leivermann (4) leads a capable defense, along with Louie Roehl (3). For all their talent, the Eagles don’t usually bury their opponents, relying instead on individual brilliance, a strong power play, and playing with a bit of an edge. Goaltending can be a concern, but if the Eagles can keep the pressure off their netminder, they’ll be in good position to once again deliver with their top-flight talent.
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

Going with the major upset.
tututangous

EP goaltending

Post by tututangous »

The key to beat EP is getting many shots on goal. On average the goalies let in 2goals for every 15 shots. They win by holding opponents to under 24 shots. If Anoka throws all their icing shots and dump and chase shots on him something may go in. I'd he does cover the puck at least Anoka will get an offensive zone start.

Pinching middlestat to the boards will also shut him down. Throw a body on him, but don't miss!

In any case I'm going to watch as many A and AA games I can! Great weekend!
kniven

Post by kniven »

mulefarm wrote:Going with the major upset.
I'll take another upset as well. These Anoka boys just don't care who you are. There just going to thump your skull for you. That would be EP....
ladybing

Post by ladybing »

By now it has become fairly apparent that Mittelstadt doesn't really get shut down. If you take penalties, they make you pay. Upsets happen all the time, but I like EP in this one.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

Anoka. [ EP would have been unbeatable w\Rassmuson.]
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

Reporter: "What is your prediction for the fight?"
Clubber Lang: "Prediction?"
Reporter: "Yes, prediction...."
Clubber Lang: (Menacing look....) "PAIN!"

EP by 3 goals, perhaps one of them an empty netter.....
@hockeytweet

Post by @hockeytweet »

If you believe gambling on high school sports isn't a sin, withdraw all of your bank accounts, bleed the 401k dry, get a 2nd mortgage---

and bet it ALL on the Eagles in this game!

If Holy Family and Prior Lake couldn't find a way to contain Mittelstadt, Anoka sure as heck isn't going to figure it out.

Not running time, but close...
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

kniven wrote:
These Anoka boys just don't care who you are.
Sat, Dec 19, 2015 Fogerty Arena, Blaine
FINAL Anoka 6 Blaine 3
Wed, Dec 23, 2015 Fogerty Arena, Blaine
FINAL Blaine 5 Eden Prairie 2
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

hockey59 wrote: Sat, Dec 19, 2015 Fogerty Arena, Blaine
FINAL Anoka 6 Blaine 3
Wed, Dec 23, 2015 Fogerty Arena, Blaine
FINAL Blaine 5 Eden Prairie 2
Thu, Dec 17, 2015 Braemar Ice Arena, Edina
FINAL Eden Prairie 5, Elk River 2

Thu, Jan 14, 2016 Anoka Arena, Anoka
FINAL Elk River 7, Anoka 2

My prediction:
-Anoka by 6........OR
-Eden Prairie by 8

Either way, running time!
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

Sat, Jan 23, 2016 Elk River Ice Arena, Elk River
FINAL Maple Grove 4 Elk River 2
Sat, Dec 05, 2015 Eden Prairie Community Center, Eden Prairie
FINAL Eden Prairie 5 Maple Grove 3
Sat, Jan 30, 2016 Anoka Arena, Anoka
FINAL Anoka 4 Maple Grove 3
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

Hmmmm, Anoka by 1, ya say?

Sat Jan 9, 2016, Eden Prairie Community Center, Eden Prairie
FINAL Eden Prairie 4, Duluth East 1
Tue Jan 26, 2016, Heritage Sports Center, Duluth
FINAL Duluth East 7 Anoka 1

Now EP by 9? This is so confusing.

I predict the score will be somewhere between 1 & 9 goals.....
sterfry9

Post by sterfry9 »

is there any reason in particular why all the EP kids take their glove off when they high five each other after a goal with the guys on the bench? ive never seen this before? ive seen the high fiving the bench guys, but not the 1 glove off thing theyre doing.
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

sterfry9 wrote:is there any reason in particular why all the EP kids take their glove off when they high five each other after a goal with the guys on the bench? ive never seen this before? ive seen the high fiving the bench guys, but not the 1 glove off thing theyre doing.
I was wondering that, too.

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
bemused

Post by bemused »

east hockey wrote:
sterfry9 wrote:is there any reason in particular why all the EP kids take their glove off when they high five each other after a goal with the guys on the bench? ive never seen this before? ive seen the high fiving the bench guys, but not the 1 glove off thing theyre doing.

Lee
what I was wondering was why somebody didn't knock Middlestadt on his ### at least once all night. But more importantly why they didn't do it when on the 6th goal he skated over in front of the Anoka fan section and saluted them?
Totally bush league..can't wait to see how he does in Jr's..
green4

Post by green4 »

bemused wrote:
east hockey wrote:

Lee
what I was wondering was why somebody didn't knock Middlestadt on his ### at least once all night. But more importantly why they didn't do it when on the 6th goal he skated over in front of the Anoka fan section and saluted them?
People say this a lot when teams play Mittlestedt. The thing is, it is hard to knock over a player that is faster, more elusive and talented on the boards. I think they tried to hit him, it just didn't go well.

And he is projected to be a first round pick so I'm guessing juniors will go pretty well for him too.
tututangous

Post by tututangous »

bemused wrote:
east hockey wrote:

Lee
Knocking him on his a$$ is easier said than done, I'd say. He's a special combo of stick handling, speed, and agility. He creates plays where there was nothing. And, he always looks like he's having so much fun.

Juniors? you really think that someone of his skill level will have to play juniors? There's nothing they can offer him. He will go straight to the gophers, maybe even a year early (he's just a junior). I don't see him sticking around 4 years there either. I see him in the NHL by age 20.

It is very apparent that he works damn hard on his skills. (I would love to see the inside of his parents' garage.) He also has a natural talent for seeing the game unfold in front of him.

Someday, Bemused, while watching Middlestat play the big game on TV, you'll be bragging about how your kid played against him...as if they were best friends.
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

I was surprised how much CM was out there late in the game. Not so much about injury, but more about 3 games in 3 days & energy level.

There was one time where somebody in the 3rd period tried to get a good hit on him....and he kind of just bounced off of him. He seems to have really good balance and is just one of those guys that is not going to simply "get knocked on his @ss."
C-dad

Post by C-dad »

kniven wrote:
I'll take another upset as well. These Anoka boys just don't care who you are. There just going to thump your skull for you. That would be EP....
Do they care now who EP is? :wink: