AA QF: Burnsville vs. #3 Wayzata

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins?

Blaze
35%
Trojans
65%

Total votes: 34

karl(east)

AA QF: Burnsville vs. #3 Wayzata

Post by karl(east) »

BURNSVILLE VS. #3 WAYZATA
-A throwback team returns to State for the first time in 9 years to meet one of the rising powers. Wayzata comfortably won a holiday tournament meeting between these two, 5-2, though Burnsville had yet to settle on its current goalie at that time.

Burnsville (16-10-2, #18, 2-seed in 3AA)
State appearances: 9 (first since 2007)
Championships: 2 (1985, 1986)
Key section win: 7-1 vs. #14 St. Thomas Academy
-After years of miserable losses to Edina in 2AA, the Blaze found a new home in 3AA this season, and made their way back to State in style by blitzing St. Thomas Academy. This team isn’t as loaded as some of the Burnsville teams that missed out, but they do have a strong one-two punch up front in Cade Borchardt (22) and Eric Otto (17). Nolan Sawchuk (4) is third on the team in points as a defenseman. There aren’t a whole lot of standouts beyond that, but they do have a very deep stable of respectable players who allow them to hang with better teams, and Roman Ahcan (3) had a very strong performance in sections. Nick Lee (1) claimed the goalie job around midseason, and has been strong ever since. This team played very well down the stretch, and if they lean on their stars and avoid getting worn down, they could have a crack at an upset.

Wayzata (19-8-1, #4, 2-seed in 6AA)
State appearances: 4 (first since 2013)
Key section win: 5-3 vs. #11 Edina
-The Trojans look to be one of the most dangerous teams in the state heading in; while they lack the impressive offensive numbers of Stillwater, Eden Prairie, or Grand Rapids, they are probably the deepest squad in the field, and have the best defensive corps. The ever-entertaining Hank Sorensen (23) leads that group with his monster hits, crazy rushes, and copious penalties, and sophomore Nebraska-Omaha commit Grant Anderson (21) has stepped up late in the season. Mark Senden (18), a North Dakota recruit, is their leading scorer, while Luke Patterson (19) and Billy Duma (17) have also had long, successful careers. Alex Schilling (30), after some rough patches early, has been one of the state’s better goaltenders down the stretch. If they can stay out of the box and keep generating pressure up and down the lineup, they’ll be tough to beat.
WendyClark

Post by WendyClark »

Burnsville is 11-2-1 since a loss to Rosemount in early January, both loses were 1 goal games to PL AND LN.

Once again ill take Burnsville to win 4-2, they are peaking at the very right time
kniven

Post by kniven »

WendyClark wrote:Burnsville is 11-2-1 since a loss to Rosemount in early January, both loses were 1 goal games to PL AND LN.

Once again ill take Burnsville to win 4-2, they are peaking at the very right time
I'm going with the Blaze and goalie Nick Lee. I went to high school with Nick's parents in Ashland Wisconsin. Go Nick! and your teamates!
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

Nice to see B'Ville finally make it.

In the past, they had a Lake conference nemesis in Edina. This year, it will be a different Lake conference team.

No blowout, but Wayzata by 2.
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

Many on here laughed when I said Burnsville would have good team. Will be great to see them in the tourney again, but will probably be their signing out party as a contender..

Go Braves!!
@hockeytweet

Post by @hockeytweet »

Heart wants the Braves, but brain is telling me Trojans, by 3.

Hey, the heart wants what it wants.
Go Braves. I mean Blaze.
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

B'Ville controlling the play....

Wayzata's game is getting it down low, cycling, & grinding. Not able to do it right now. Burnsville's getting it in down low.

Don't know if nerves are a factor, but B'Ville right now is playing well...
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

No Schmidt since early in the period?
tututangous

goalies

Post by tututangous »

schillings needs to stop playing on his stomach. he could have stopped that first goal if he wouldn't have fallen on his gut.

Burnsville goalie is small. Crashing the net could force a goal just by pushing him in the net.

Here's hoping Wayzata regroups after that less than stellar first period.

I pick Wayzata 4-2
WendyClark

Post by WendyClark »

Depth won this game, Da Braves had their chances but couldnt capitalize

Hats off to Burnsville this year, hopefully they will make another run soon
hawkeysauce89

Re: goalies

Post by hawkeysauce89 »

tututangous wrote:schillings needs to stop playing on his stomach. he could have stopped that first goal if he wouldn't have fallen on his gut.

Burnsville goalie is small. Crashing the net could force a goal just by pushing him in the net.

I pick Wayzata 4-2

So if you make SC Top 10 plays and awarded player of the game....is it ok for him to play on his stomach? Whaddya say tutu?
tututangous

Post by tututangous »

hawkeysauce89 wrote:
tututangous wrote:schillings needs to stop playing on his stomach. he could have stopped that first goal if he wouldn't have fallen on his gut.

I pick Wayzata 4-2

So if you make SC Top 10 plays and awarded player of the game....is it ok for him to play on his stomach? Whaddya say tutu?
No. It's not good to play that way. I'll be happy to count the number of times these goalies up goals in the rest of the tourney from playing horizontal in the crease instead of covering the net vertically.

Agility and quickness in the net come from sliding post to post in the upright butterfly position, not from falling forward and hoping for the best. It's simple math. The volume of net space left open playing like schillings makes the probabilty of a goal much higher.

Did you get a chance to see the St. Cloud Cathedral goalie? That's how the position should be played. He is, by far, the best goalie in the tournament.
hawkeysauce89

Post by hawkeysauce89 »

tututangous wrote:
hawkeysauce89 wrote:

I pick Wayzata 4-2

No. It's not good to play that way. I'll be happy to count the number of times these goalies up goals in the rest of the tourney from playing horizontal in the crease instead of covering the net vertically.

Agility and quickness in the net come from sliding post to post in the upright butterfly position, not from falling forward and hoping for the best. It's simple math. The volume of net space left open playing like schillings makes the probabilty of a goal much higher.

Did you get a chance to see the St. Cloud Cathedral goalie? That's how the position should be played. He is, by far, the best goalie in the tournament.
Pretty tough to rely on agility and quickness when it was a tipped pass - three Burnsville players touched the puck in under a second. Great finish by Borchardt as well. I think he did what he could - last ditch effort to make the save from his stomach. I don't understand how spitefully putting down high school aged kids gets you off. Clearly some underlying issues/bias here. You are ripping on a kid who was one of the best elite league goalies last year and is having a pretty good season this year.

Obviously Cathedral's goalie is best - he just got invited to the U17 team. What an elite hockey mind you are.

Feel free to track the stats, Dr. Tutu - Lead Mathematician for MSHSL (got a nice ring to it I think)
BlueLine_D

Post by BlueLine_D »

tututangous wrote:
hawkeysauce89 wrote:

I pick Wayzata 4-2

That Cathedral goalie is something else. I've only gotten to see him a few times this year but his fundamentals are off the charts, and to be as quick as he is at 6'4" just isn't fair. When he's on his game and playing confident he's as good as there is in the state. Althaus from Apollo is another goalie very similar, with a big body and incredible fundamental skills and quickness.
hawkeysauce89

Dr. Tutu

Post by hawkeysauce89 »

Hey Toots!!! How those stats coming along?? You've been a little quiet lately! The state of MN is eagerly awaiting on your incredible hockey mind. Still not a fan of schilling? Think EP will put their JV goalie in tonight!?!? He's the best, right??!?! LOL

Dr. Tutu, if you would be so kind - comb your hair, brush your teeth, take a lap, and go to bed.
GoldenBear

Post by GoldenBear »

Sauce, you couldn't wait one more game before you got cocky. You are killing me! GB
hawkeysauce89

**sigh**

Post by hawkeysauce89 »

Regardless of tonight - proof is in the pudding. Both teams showed they deserve to be here. Should be a great game.
hawkeysauce89

Funny how that works

Post by hawkeysauce89 »

Cheers, GB 8)

Tutu - lol
GoldenBear

Post by GoldenBear »

Cheers Sauce!!
Reg7

Post by Reg7 »

BlueLine_D wrote:
tututangous wrote:
hawkeysauce89 wrote:

That Cathedral goalie is something else. I've only gotten to see him a few times this year but his fundamentals are off the charts, and to be as quick as he is at 6'4" just isn't fair. When he's on his game and playing confident he's as good as there is in the state. Althaus from Apollo is another goalie very similar, with a big body and incredible fundamental skills and quickness.
Althaus played his first junior game last night for the Bismarck Bobcats and got his first win...only gave up 1 goal in a 3-1 victory...looked good.
Reg7

Post by Reg7 »

BlueLine_D wrote:
tututangous wrote:
hawkeysauce89 wrote:

Althaus played his first junior game last night for the Bismarck Bobcats and got his first win...only gave up 1 goal in a 3-1 victory...looked good.