AA state seedings

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

elliott70

AA state seedings

Post by elliott70 »

AA
Section 1 Farmington

Section 2 - Eden Prairie

Section 3 Burnsville

Section 4 Hill Murray - Stillwater Friday night

Section 5 Anoka

Section 6 Wayzata

Section 7 Grand Rapids

Section 8 Bemidji

Anyone care to speculate?
Last edited by elliott70 on Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:09 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

I think if Stillwater wins, they will get #1, but I don't think they deserve it.

I think EP & Wayzata will get treated well. The coaches I think ignore some of the things us fans do in terms of record/who beat who early, etc. At least #3 & #4 for the two of them. They split during the year & have similar arguments with the paths they needed to go through to win their section. I do think Wayzata 2016 trend may give them an edge.

If Lakeville wins, it will be curious what you do with them. Personally, I'd put them below Wayzata & EP simply due to schedule, which is out of their control.

If favorites win, my guesses for unseeded are 5AA (obvious), 3AA & toss-up between GR & Bemidji (my guess is that GR would get seeded ahead of Bemidji due to who they have beaten, although Bemidji's win over HM looks nice).
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Doc Holliday wrote:I think if Stillwater wins, they will get #1, but I don't think they deserve it.

I think EP & Wayzata will get treated well. The coaches I think ignore some of the things us fans do in terms of record/who beat who early, etc. At least #3 & #4 for the two of them. They split during the year & have similar arguments with the paths they needed to go through to win their section. I do think Wayzata 2016 trend may give them an edge.

If Lakeville wins, it will be curious what you do with them. Personally, I'd put them below Wayzata & EP simply due to schedule, which is out of their control.

If favorites win, my guesses for unseeded are 5AA (obvious), 3AA & toss-up between GR & Bemidji (my guess is that GR would get seeded ahead of Bemidji due to who they have beaten, although Bemidji's win over HM looks nice).
I don't disagree with this except GR did lose (big) to Hermantown and Bemidji did win.
I would like to see Bemidji and GR in opposite brackets so there would be a chance of an all north final (MSHSL would probably not want this).
Traxler

Post by Traxler »

elliott70 wrote:
Doc Holliday wrote:I think if Stillwater wins, they will get #1, but I don't think they deserve it.

I don't disagree with this except GR did lose (big) to Hermantown and Bemidji did win.
I would like to see Bemidji and GR in opposite brackets so there would be a chance of an all north final (MSHSL would probably not want this).
I think you mean you'd like to see Bemidji and Duluth East in opposite brackets...
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

I don't disagree with you and they might. They certainly have a case & I wouldn't call it a travesty if it happened. I'm just guessing at what will happen.

Case: Both Wayzata & EP have seen GR first hand. They probably don't notice their losses as much as who they've played & beaten. They saw GR hand it to Edina, they saw them beat HF, Wayzata only beat them by a goal rather recently. That may weigh in their favor in someone like O' Leary.

One never knows though...
warriors41

Post by warriors41 »

I wasn't sure why people kept seeding GR ahead of Bemidji so I looked at their schedules last night. I think GR would get the benefit of the doubt. Elliot, you cited the Hermantown contests, but Bemidji also lost to Cloquet and GR handed it to them twice. I think the conversation could be entirely different of Bemidji had won that holiday tournament.

Bemidji's best wins: Hill-Murray, Hermantown, Moorhead (twice), and then some other wins against good class A teams like EGF, TRF and Apollo.

Grand Rapids best wins: Minnetonka, Edina, Duluth East (twice if they win tonight), Moorhead, Holy Family

The only way I see Bemidji getting seeded over GR is if the coaches give the Lumberjacks credit for being at state last year and playing two very competitive games against Edina and STA with a very young team.

Another scenario that could get Bemidji seeded higher than GR is if Hill-Murray defeats Stillwater. It probably gets them seeded regardless since that's one more higher ranked team out of the tournament, but it's also an impressive win over a tournament participant that might give Bemidji the edge over Grand Rapids, but I don't think that's very likely (who the hell knows this year though).
GoldenBear

Post by GoldenBear »

I think you just have to look at LPH rankings and remove the teams that have lost:

1) Stillwater
2) Lakeville N
3) EP
4)Wayzata
5)Elliott

Assuming Stillwater and North win. GB
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

I don't want Bemidji vs Duluth East (maybe Grand Rapids) in the first round.
I don't want Bemidji vs Wayzata in the first round.

So from my perspective its 5 of 7 would be good.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

What I do not get is why Stillwater would be #1 (not doubting their ability) with their schedule?
Traxler

Post by Traxler »

elliott70 wrote:What I do not get is why Stillwater would be #1 (not doubting their ability) with their schedule?
Stillwater is closer to the metro than Bemidji.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Traxler wrote:
elliott70 wrote:What I do not get is why Stillwater would be #1 (not doubting their ability) with their schedule?
Stillwater is closer to the metro than Bemidji.
I had that thought in the back of my mind.
Traxler

Post by Traxler »

How about seeding Farmington #1 since tonight they will beat the defending champs?
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

Record is record to some. They have 1 loss, and the avenged that 1 loss by beating HF the 2nd time.

I think if Bemidji was undefeated, they'd come down at the #1 seed, no matter their schedule. Similar to Roseau in '08, although they had the benefit of being the defending champ too.

Like I said above, I don't think they deserve it....but I think they'll get it.
BodyShots

Re: AA state seedings

Post by BodyShots »

elliott70 wrote:AA
Section 1
Lakeville North - Farmington Thursday night

Section 2 - Eden Prairie

Section 3 Burnsville - St Thomas Academy Thursday night

Section 4 Hill Murray - Stillwater Friday night

Section 5 Maple Grove - Anoka Thursday night

Section 6 Wayzata

Section 7 Grand Rapids - Duluth East Thursday night

Section 8 Bemidji

Anyone care to speculate?
I'll let you know after Friday night. Ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we would all have a merry Christmas!
GopherHockey

Post by GopherHockey »

Hopefully
1. EP
2. Wayzata
3. Stillwater-
4. North-
5. Rapids
Bemidji
STA/Burnsville
Anoka/Maple Grove

Stillwater and Lakeville lower due to schedule being far worse than EP/Wayzata
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

1. SW
2. EP
3. LVN
4. WZ
5. BMJ

Rest

STA
MG
DE or GR , too close to call
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

Well, I don't know what the heck they do now. :D

Only thing I'd like to see is Wayzata & EP on opposite sides of the bracket. I don't want to see conference foes play until the championship, if they happened to get there. Of course, sometimes it can't be helped.

What I would do:

1) EP/Wayzata
2) EP/Wayzata
3) Stillwater
4) GR (if they win)
5) Bemidji

Farmington
Burnsville
Anoka

I still think Stillwater may get the #1, although I don't think they deserve it. If Hill wins, the move into 5. Move Bemidji up if East wins.....I also don't like seeing northern teams play in 4/5.
blueblood

AA Seeding

Post by blueblood »

If Stillwater wins:

1) Stillwater
2) Wayzata
3) Ep
4) Bemidji
5) Grand Rapids

If Hill wins:
1) Wayzata
2) Ep
3) Bemidji
4) Grand Rapids
5) ???
Joe2015

Post by Joe2015 »

If Stillwater wins:
1 - Stillwater
2 - Eden Prairie
3 - Wayzata
4 - Bemidji
5 - Grand Rapids

If Hill-Murray wins:
1 - Eden Prairie
2 - Wayzata
3 - Bemidji
4 - Grand Rapids
5 - Hill-Murray
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

Even with a Stillwater win I don't think seeds will matter much this season, no one has an easy first round game.

We will also get new blood in the tournament with Farmington, Anoka and Grand Rapids haven't been there in years......EP and Wayzata have huge enrollments and will have fans. I guess EP becomes the team the crowd hates this year? With no Edina or BSM, maybe Hill Murray can win and give us a true villain.
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

goldy313 wrote:Even with a Stillwater win I don't think seeds will matter much this season, no one has an easy first round game.

We will also get new blood in the tournament with Farmington, Anoka and Grand Rapids haven't been there in years......EP and Wayzata have huge enrollments and will have fans. I guess EP becomes the team the crowd hates this year? With no Edina or BSM, maybe Hill Murray can win and give us a true villain.
If Hill-Murray isn't there, the only villain will be in Class A. :)

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
LASERBLUE135

Post by LASERBLUE135 »

Blessing and a curse if GR and Bemj play in the 4/5 game. One will advance and one will have to go home early. That said, I don't think I can root for HM...
green4

Post by green4 »

Hopefully they give bemidji a 2 or 3 despite the competition. I don't want to see them play rapids in the first round. Somehow Stillwater will get the 1 seed, but they haven't played anyone in the state tournament field, at least Bemidji has played one of them.
If bemidji and Rapids do play in the 4/5 I would expect the winner to beat Stillwater in the semi
GoldenBear

Post by GoldenBear »

Free agency, it is now like football on any given sunday. Should be a great State Tournament! GB
HockeyonFire

Post by HockeyonFire »

WestMetro wrote:1. SW
2. EP
3. LVN
4. WZ
5. BMJ

Rest

STA
MG
DE or GR , too close to call
Stillwater won't beat Hill-Murray at Aldrich so....

1. Eden Prairie...h2h win over Rapids
2. Wayzata....h2h win over Rapids
3. Grand Rapids...better resume than Bem
4. Bemidji h2h win over Hill
5. Hill-Murray h2h win over Burns
6. Burnsville won and tied over Farm
7. Farmington better resume than anoka
8. Anoka