Is coach Pauly to blame for Benilde's Semi exit?

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

MNHockeyFan wrote:
East Side Pioneer Guy wrote:If you've got a team, loaded with talent you can probably just let 'em have at it.
True, but was BSM really "loaded with talent"? Which is why I asked my question about how many D1 players they had on this year's team. Quite often you will see "loaded" teams with 5 or more D1 commits.
They have one, Mayer (UConn). To really assess this, though, you really need to look out a few years back...it's very rare that a team has more than 2 or 3 commits actually playing, but they'll sometimes end up with 6+ after a few years of juniors. This Benilde team will certainly add a few more with time.

That said, I think most everyone would agree they overachieved this regular season. The coaching staff certainly did a good job of getting everyone on the same page to play some great up-tempo hockey, and an undefeated season--especially with their difficult schedule--is a feat.

At the same time, I stand by what I said on this week's podcast. Their aggression leaves them vulnerable in back, and that phrase about defense winning championships is a cliche for a reason. It's not that you can't win playing like this--BSM obviously did in 2012--but it's risky, and may require overwhelming talent to pull off. Unless they have that talent or show a greater commitment to taking care of things in their own zone, I'm going to be a bit of a skeptic of Pauly teams in the playoffs.