Duluth East vs Elk River

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins?

Hounds
41%
ER Elks
59%

Total votes: 46

keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup »

Really? Dude...its just a blog and some of us really enjoyed the banter! Back to the thread........great win for East and like him/them these kids are ready every year come spring time. Maybe instead of bashing the elks we should admire the job Mike does and look forward to the inevitable show down with Rapids. FREE SATS
north_bear

Post by north_bear »

east hockey wrote:
north_bear wrote:
Houndhockey wrote: Sounds like a lot of whining and sour grapes to me. Elk River craps the bed in the playoffs every year. Call it a home game for East but I guarantee that East would've won most of these playoff games on the road due to their mentality, coaching, and tough road schedule throughout the year.
Nothing is guaranteed. Easy to make the claim when the games are in East's backyard. Funny no state titles with all that mentality and coaching...
:P
Who has no state titles?

Lee
Referring to the claim that East could have won most section games if they had not been held in Duluth because they have the "mentality, coaching, and tough road schedule". Wondered why they don't have any recent titles with all those intangibles.
Thunderhawk Fanatic!!
Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

I've never been a guy to tell you that I told you so, but I said after the Marshall lost that East would be just fine. They had the same record as the year before and Randolph was at home in a white lab coat cooking up all kinds of smoking potions. He is looking towards the sky and screaming.... "It Verks, it Verks! Soon Ze Hounds will rule Ze world!

If you don't believe me, go back and look it up.

East will win this Section and I'm gonna look like a Genius! Well, okay maybe not a Genius but at least a little street cred on the board.
GPGT

Post by GPGT »

north_bear wrote:
east hockey wrote:
north_bear wrote: Nothing is guaranteed. Easy to make the claim when the games are in East's backyard. Funny no state titles with all that mentality and coaching...
:P
Who has no state titles?

Lee
Referring to the claim that East could have won most section games if they had not been held in Duluth because they have the "mentality, coaching, and tough road schedule". Wondered why they don't have any recent titles with all those intangibles.
It's pretty simple. The state tournament is against the north. They purposefully have the games in the cities , giving the southern teams the advantage. Shame on them
MWS coach

Post by MWS coach »

Houndhockey wrote:
MWS coach wrote:
karl(east) wrote: :lol: Might've been a better idea than what they did. Yeah, the Hounds put those nerves to rest with an awfully impressive first period. Utter demolition, with the first goal 37 seconds in off the faceoff, two very pretty ones for the 2nd and 3rd goals, and a very ugly one for the 4th right after the 3rd. After that, the Elks settled in some, but East went in to cruise control after responding to the first Elk goal. It got somewhat interesting near the end--though the 3rd ER goal was a mile offsides, as shown by the Amsoil video board--but a late too many men penalty ruined any shot at a comeback.

Credit the Hounds for rising to the occasion in the playoffs yet again. Thursday is going to be a war. As for ER...yikes. That's 7 times in 8 years their season has ended against the Hounds. Other than the past two, they haven't been close.
It was a cross checking penalty in front of the net, not to many men. The whistle and subsequent center ice face off prior to that was for player leaving the bench to early when pulling the goalie. Hounds no doubt outplayed the Elks in the first and played well but Elks were also not moving their feet, couldn't catch a pass, and terrible in D zone. Worst period of hockey the Elks played all season. Second goal pretty? It went off the back of the goalies skate right to hound who was crashing the net (uncovered). 3rd goal was a nice individual play as hound F beat Elk D around the corner cut back to the front of the net and buried it. From my vantage point there was one "nice" goal. Not that it really matters as no matter how they go in, it was still 6-3 and Hounds outplayed Elks to end their season AGAIN. Long bus ride home without their coach who had more important things to do than to coach....
Sounds like a lot of whining and sour grapes to me. Elk River craps the bed in the playoffs every year. Call it a home game for East but I guarantee that East would've won most of these playoff games on the road due to their mentality, coaching, and tough road schedule throughout the year.
Hound, how is any of what I said whining? Twice said Hounds outplayed Elks. Sour Grapes? if that is what you want to call it, to travel up to Duluth every year and come back with the loss stings more and more every year. Enjoy your run and be very, very thankful you have the coach that you do. If not the best in the business, certainly one of the best.
Bayside Tigers

Post by Bayside Tigers »

alcloseshaver wrote:What will it take to getter better and win?
Well. Scoring less goals than the Hounds doesn't work. Scoring more goals than the Hounds doesn't work. Throw Mr. Hockey at them, that doesn't work. Coaching change? Been working for the Wild, it could work for the Mighty Elk.
Usthockey13

Post by Usthockey13 »

Bayside Tigers wrote:
Well. Scoring less goals than the Hounds doesn't work. Scoring more goals than the Hounds doesn't work. Throw Mr. Hockey at them, that doesn't work. Coaching change? Been working for the Wild, it could work for the Mighty Elk.
Coaching change wouldn't help, they've done that already too and still can't beat them.
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

Never though I would miss SARS this much. It cost him his job but he did not tolerate bad penalties and you were held accountable. Gordy not going anywhere but needs to realize how to get thru to the players, it is an art form for some. Zerban will be gone to the NAHL, at least he waited until the season was over...
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

Usthockey13 wrote:
Bayside Tigers wrote:
Coaching change wouldn't help, they've done that already too and still can't beat them.
Am I the only one who misses Tony? One of the most colorful high school coaches I've ever seen. I also gained a lot of respect for him when he showed up the the Duluth School Board meeting where they discussed Randolph's "non-renewal of contract".

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
mnmouth

Post by mnmouth »

east hockey wrote:
Usthockey13 wrote:
Bayside Tigers wrote: Well. Scoring less goals than the Hounds doesn't work. Scoring more goals than the Hounds doesn't work. Throw Mr. Hockey at them, that doesn't work. Coaching change? Been working for the Wild, it could work for the Mighty Elk.
Am I the only one who misses Tony? One of the most colorful high school coaches I've ever seen. I also gained a lot of respect for him when he showed up the the Duluth School Board meeting where they discussed Randolph's "non-renewal of contract".

Lee
I gained respect for him when he felt bad after beating Hibbing in 1999 7AA final because it meant no Northern rep at State in a Northern Section.
CCM68

Post by CCM68 »

alcloseshaver wrote:Never though I would miss SARS this much. It cost him his job but he did not tolerate bad penalties and you were held accountable. Gordy not going anywhere but needs to realize how to get thru to the players, it is an art form for some. Zerban will be gone to the NAHL, at least he waited until the season was over...
How are you always "in the know"?
sanryam

Post by sanryam »

alcloseshaver wrote:Zerban will be gone to the NAHL, at least he waited until the season was over...
Is this confirmed or just speculation?
Bayside Tigers

Post by Bayside Tigers »

east hockey wrote:Am I the only one who misses Tony? One of the most colorful high school coaches I've ever seen. I also gained a lot of respect for him when he showed up the the Duluth School Board meeting where they discussed Randolph's "non-renewal of contract".

Lee
NO. Love this post, especially coming directly from an official Duluth East representative. I like to see at least someone remembers that. For all the hate that surrounded him, he was truly an honorable man, and he backed it up. You'll never find another character like Sarsland. Truly one of a kind. I am proud to say we actually made & brought "T-SARS COACH OF THE YEAR" signs to our games when I was in high school. Without digging up the past & going into detail, I'll just say the way he was ousted on a technicality, for something so stupid, was such an injustice. To him, the Elk River hockey legacy, and the game. And that's an understatement. I'll now always have a love/hate relationship with ER just because of it.

p.s. What are the odds that Sarsland would have eked out a win in the past 5 years in sections? Come on, at least 1, probably in the 14/15 season. Lets put this down in the books as fact.