Cake Eater Anthem

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

YouthHockeyHub

Cake Eater Anthem

Post by YouthHockeyHub »

From the creators of the The Hockey Helper Helmet and All Hockey Hair Team, Game On Minnesota presents:

The Cake Eater Anthem

http://bit.ly/1Pdt3cO

Creation Number 20
observer

Post by observer »

Funny!
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Funny without being hateful.
hockey9011

Post by hockey9011 »

Hilarious. Love it
hermantown2000

Post by hermantown2000 »

Thought for a second "cake eater anthem"
was referencing Duluth East but guess I am wrong!!
Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

hermantown2000 wrote:Thought for a second "cake eater anthem"
They called them that back in the 80's, but doesn't really fit anymore. Not much of an economy in Duluth anymore.
Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

Oops.
Last edited by Jeffy95 on Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
north_bear

Post by north_bear »

Except everyone else in northern mn still calls them cake eaters.
Thunderhawk Fanatic!!
north_bear

Post by north_bear »

Awesome video! Funny and well done.
Thunderhawk Fanatic!!
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

Jeffy95 wrote:
They called them that back in the 80's, but doesn't really fit anymore. Not much of an economy in Duluth anymore.
Duluth's economy these days is a heck of a lot better than it was in the 80s...compare median incomes on the east side to anywhere else in northern MN and the gap is still pretty big.
Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

karl(east) wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:
Duluth's economy these days is a heck of a lot better than it was in the 80s...compare median incomes on the east side to anywhere else in northern MN and the gap is still pretty big.
Okay, bad example. I just remember people calling them that back then. I guess my point should have been that if Edina is the standard for cake eaters, then Duluth East is not even in the ballpark. I doubt Edina High School is anywhere near 22% free and reduced lunch.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

Jeffy95 wrote:
karl(east) wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote: They called them that back in the 80's, but doesn't really fit anymore. Not much of an economy in Duluth anymore.
Okay, bad example. I just remember people calling them that back then. I guess my point should have been that if Edina is the standard for cake eaters, then Duluth East is not even in the ballpark. I doubt Edina High School is anywhere near 22% free and reduced lunch.
True, but it was much lower until Central closed a couple years ago. It's more of a relative term compared to the rest of the north...and there is still a fair amount of old money floating around the east side. The student sections (both East and their rivals) still play it up plenty.

Anyway, love the video.
mnmouth

Post by mnmouth »

Jeffy95 wrote:
karl(east) wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote: They called them that back in the 80's, but doesn't really fit anymore. Not much of an economy in Duluth anymore.
Growing up with cousins all over the place in Bovey and Coleraine, plenty of references were made to Grand Rapids as being THE cake eaters.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

This was excellent! Just wondering if its creators are actually from Edina and they're poking fun at themselves?
Oldcoach63

Post by Oldcoach63 »

Nicely done. Back when I was a football player for Richfield HS there were the two Edinas, both in our conference and all the games in that old Lake Conference were very competitive. On the two days every season that we would play one of the Edinas, the Richfield varsity football players would get called to the auditorium during the morning announcements. When we went down there the cheerleaders were waiting with a giant sheet cake much like the one in the video only much larger. It said "Edina" in big frosted letters across the top and we all "ate the cake" on game day. It must have worked as I remember beating those guys those years. Still one of my favorite HS memories.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Edina have been the 'cake eaters' since at least the 60's.
skiumah

Post by skiumah »

MNHockeyFan wrote:This was excellent! Just wondering if its creators are actually from Edina and they're poking fun at themselves?
Yes, he was. You also watch his other video, every March, right after the tournament. :wink:
DrGaf

Post by DrGaf »

nice to see the puffy north face jacket make a showing ... only thing missing was a golf visor.
Sorry, fresh out, Don't Really Give Any.
C-dad

Post by C-dad »

DrGaf wrote:nice to see the puffy north face jacket make a showing ... only thing missing was a golf visor.
Nah, the puffy North Face has been largely replaced by the fleece Mountain Hardware vest at Braemar. :wink: