LPH Ranking and Sec 7

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

howardst

LPH Ranking and Sec 7

Post by howardst »

Looks like mommas come around to daddys way of thinking!!!!!

3 of the top 7 out of sect 7

Hmmmm. Looks like the powers that be must be reading my posts and the slow learners are starting to catch up.

Not saying any rankng is fact but no question all three are in the conversation.

Yup Sect 7 is the best section in class A this season, its just their turn.
Shortshift

Post by Shortshift »

Dude??? Who ever said 7 wasn't strong? How big is the trophy for being the strongest section? You do know that only 1 team from section 7 gets to move on to the tourney don't you?

When section 7 wins the title I and maybe a few others will bow down to your knowledge of "rankings"! Cause rankings mean everything! I don't think they can or will but I sure hope Apollo takes it to Hibbing tomorrow night. You are painting such a huge bullseye on 7.

I do want to add that it is awesome that Hibbing and Greenway are back where they once ruled. Even Virgina can be added to the talk. Enjoy it! But you are beating it to the point where nobody cares!
DrGaf

Post by DrGaf »

who is in section 7a?
Sorry, fresh out, Don't Really Give Any.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

DrGaf wrote:who is in section 7a?
Only one team - Hermantown.
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

I'm really excited for the playoffs for this section, but how many 7A threads do we need?
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine
howardst

Post by howardst »

Dj. We need to make sure we have at least two more than posts about Grand Rapids. Lol. Good hearted banter is proof Class A is not the red headed step child of AA. Lol. Sure only one team gets out of the section but I can't say the 7AA is any more exciting or challenging than 7A. Sorry your offended we are not all gloating over Rapids and East. Heck neither of them would be a top seed in A
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

howardst wrote:Dj. We need to make sure we have at least two more than posts about Grand Rapids. Lol. Good hearted banter is proof Class A is not the red headed step child of AA. Lol. Sure only one team gets out of the section but I can't say the 7AA is any more exciting or challenging than 7A. Sorry your offended we are not all gloating over Rapids and East. Heck neither of them would be a top seed in A
Put a lot of words in my mouth. I know 7A is good. I don't start 50 threads on 7AA though.
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine
DrGaf

Post by DrGaf »

elliott70 wrote:
DrGaf wrote:who is in section 7a?
Only one team - Hermantown.
oh yes. I know them.
Sorry, fresh out, Don't Really Give Any.
rainier

Re: LPH Ranking and Sec 7

Post by rainier »

howardst wrote:Looks like mommas come around to daddys way of thinking!!!!!

Hmmmm. Looks like the powers that be must be reading my posts and the slow learners are starting to catch up.

Not saying any rankng is fact but no question all three are in the conversation.

Two things:

1. Where were you last year when 7A was better than it is this year?
-Hermantown is a top 1-2 team like they were last year.
-Hibbing is a top 5 team just like Marshall was last year.
-Greenway is top 10 just like Denfeld was last year.
-Hibbing last year was a much better team than this year's #4 seed Denfeld.

2. I wouldn't woof too much about 7A given that our favorite section has only won one A title in the last 18 years. I know the metro privates sandbagged their way to oodles of trophies, but Warroad and EGF each got it done a couple times, so why not Hibbing, Greenway, or Virginia? I realize Hibbing and Greenway played AA for a good chunk of those years, but not even one title amongst the three best range A teams? I'm proud of range hockey too, but one of us has to win a title at some point.
"You can't triple stamp a double stamp." -Harry Dunn
howardst

Post by howardst »

Well if was only the champ that mattered every year only 2 teams had a good year then. Hmmmm. I disagree Being competitive and having some kind of say in the process is what every team longs for. I also disagree that sec 7 had 3 in the top 7 in the last few years. This is the deepest 7 has been. It's just there year Doesn't mean they will win it. Remember it's the thrill of the hunt that drives the players state wide and not just the kill
howardst

Post by howardst »

My guess is 2001 greenway probably had the best chance to win the class A as they took 3rd in AA and lost in the semis in ot. Hibbing I can't say has ever really been near the top and Virginia had a few great players but could never climb the mountain.
Hockey7326

Post by Hockey7326 »

howardst wrote:Dj. We need to make sure we have at least two more than posts about Grand Rapids. Lol. Good hearted banter is proof Class A is not the red headed step child of AA. Lol. Sure only one team gets out of the section but I can't say the 7AA is any more exciting or challenging than 7A. Sorry your offended we are not all gloating over Rapids and East. Heck neither of them would be a top seed in A
That's why Rapids beat Hibbing right? Yeah good brain. Get off the forums. Nobody likes you. You're ruining Class A hockey for everyone on these forums because you spit complete bull crap out of your mouth. Nobody cares what you have to say anymore because you just repeat the same thing everytime. You never have anything new to say. Shut up and get off the forums.
elliott70

Re: LPH Ranking and Sec 7

Post by elliott70 »

howardst wrote:Looks like mommas come around to daddys way of thinking!!!!!

"Location: Bemidji
PostPosted: 04 Jan 2016 11:08

So the deepest would be Section 2, then section 6.
The best (by my definition) would be 7.
The worst would have to be 5. "

Looks like someone else called it a few weeks ago.
howardst

Post by howardst »

Yup Elliot is on board other than I would say deepest also. I feel bad a fan from sec 6 feels slighted but give a reason why I'm wrong. Personally I don't care if you like me. I have not waivered on my initial thoughts it's just a matter of my initial projections and rankings in early dec are actually proving to be right. I'm not always right (ask rainier) but I am now. Herm 1. Hibbing 3-4 greenway 6-8. Just how I see it and will never personally slam you for your opinion. I might question it. Lol. Hope you have a great end of the season and let the real fun come in a few short weeks. I'm hoping things don't just fall where the top ranked in each section advances. Would love to see some upsets but really doubt that other than Delano, Hibbing, or Mahtomedi/spa. The only real threats to win it all are the top seeds.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

howardst wrote:Yup Elliot is on board other than I would say deepest also. I feel bad a fan from sec 6 feels slighted but give a reason why I'm wrong. Personally I don't care if you like me. I have not waivered on my initial thoughts it's just a matter of my initial projections and rankings in early dec are actually proving to be right. I'm not always right (ask rainier) but I am now. Herm 1. Hibbing 3-4 greenway 6-8. Just how I see it and will never personally slam you for your opinion. I might question it. Lol. Hope you have a great end of the season and let the real fun come in a few short weeks. I'm hoping things don't just fall where the top ranked in each section advances. Would love to see some upsets but really doubt that other than Delano, Hibbing, or Mahtomedi/spa. The only real threats to win it all are the top seeds.
Luverne has faltered, so they may bow out early after being #1 (just like last year).
Cathedral could take out Apollo.
EGF might beat TRF.
Maht could be upset.
Section 5, not sure if there is a favorite.
Section 1 - same.
The only two that would be a big surprise are HTown and Breck.
howardst

Post by howardst »

Elliot do you see any of those upsets having a chance to take out a herm or breck? I guess at this point I doubt it. I don't see Litchfield, EGF, or Catherdral taking out either breck or herm
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

howardst wrote:Elliot do you see any of those upsets having a chance to take out a herm or breck? I guess at this point I doubt it. I don't see Litchfield, EGF, or Catherdral taking out either breck or herm
I only see Apollo able to beat either one.
Simply because they do not give up any goals and with TV time outs, their best can get more ice time.
HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher »

Ultimately, when discussing something like "deepest" it depends what you mean by that. For example, if you mean the section where the a lower ranked team is closest in ability to the top team, it would be worth pointing out that the lowest ranked team on PageStat in 5A is ranked 55 spots below the top ranked team, while the 4 ranked team in 7A is 57 spots below #1.

So, it depends on what you mean by deepest. By your definition, they probably are since, ya know, it's your opinion. What do you mean by deepest?
howardst

Post by howardst »

Thats a fair question.

My definition of deepest is the Section that has the most teams that would be comp in any other section to win that section. So if a team was to get moved to a new section today could they contend to come out of that section to the state tourn.

Did Apollo show a chink in the armor last night?
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

HShockeywatcher wrote:Ultimately, when discussing something like "deepest" it depends what you mean by that. For example, if you mean the section where the a lower ranked team is closest in ability to the top team, it would be worth pointing out that the lowest ranked team on PageStat in 5A is ranked 55 spots below the top ranked team, while the 4 ranked team in 7A is 57 spots below #1.

So, it depends on what you mean by deepest. By your definition, they probably are since, ya know, it's your opinion. What do you mean by deepest?
I think everyone knows what deepest means.
The section with the highest ranking teams.

Closest in ability? So if you had the 8 worst teams in the state but they were ranked 60 through 68 in their class they would be deep?
Not hardly.
Something like 3 in top 10 2 more in top 20 with the lowest around 45. That would be deep.

Now the problem, controversy, would be which ranking would you use.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

howardst wrote:Thats a fair question.

My definition of deepest is the Section that has the most teams that would be comp in any other section to win that section. So if a team was to get moved to a new section today could they contend to come out of that section to the state tourn.

No, Tech is a decent team and this game was for the public school bragging rights and between kids that will(might) be teammates next year.

And they were down a player on a team with a short bench to start.

If anything, it showed character.
howardst

Post by howardst »

Elliot - Thanks for nailing it. Rankings are just that an opinion and not fact but if you were to compile a overall ranking based off pagestat, my hockey, and lets play hockey and say used the top 20 in each and give 20 pts for 1st, 19 for 2nd and so on the add em all up and divide by 3 you would get a average. I will be doing this today and post the results.
HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher »

elliott70 wrote:I think everyone knows what deepest means.
The section with the highest ranking teams.
I disagree with your first sentence, but let's assume everyone agrees with your definition:
So, how far down in the section do you go?

Based on the LPH rankings (which go to 20):
7A has 3 in the top 20 (top 7 actually)
6A has 4 in the top 20 (top 15 actually)
2A has 5 in the top 20 and 4 in the top 16

Who's the deepest from that list? It depends on how you look at.
I have never thought of top heavy and deep as the same thing nor are they in any other context.
Hockey7326

Post by Hockey7326 »

elliott70 wrote:
howardst wrote:Thats a fair question.

No, Tech is a decent team and this game was for the public school bragging rights and between kids that will(might) be teammates next year.

And they were down a player on a team with a short bench to start.

If anything, it showed character.
Big rivalry and playing on the Olympic ice sheet probably didn't help Apollo much. Threw Althaus off his angles a bit.
@hockeytweet

Post by @hockeytweet »

Who's the deepest from that list? It depends on how you look at.
I have never thought of top heavy and deep as the same thing nor are they in any other context.
Now that's "Deep"!