Junior Hockey Expansion Team in Thief River Falls, MN

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

air force one

Junior Hockey Expansion Team in Thief River Falls, MN

Post by air force one »

I am posting here as this has a connection to the coach of the high school program. I saw the media release late Friday. A Superior International Junior Hockey League expansion team is moving into the REA in Thief River Falls, MN. I thought an interesting aspect was that current TRF boys hockey head coach, Tim Bergland, is one of the owners. After attending the EGF @ TRF game last Tuesday and looking at the TRF roster, I wonder if if Bergland might end up at the head coach of this new jr team. The cupboard is looking pretty bare after this year for the Prowlers and the one talented kid left might be the first player signed by the new jr team. The building will immediately become the best in the SIJHL.

I wonder how this will affect hockey in Section 8A/AA?

http://sijhlhockey.com/5144-2/

SIJHL MEDIA UPDATE

Release Date: Friday, Jan. 22, 2016

SIJHL announces conditional expansion franchise in Thief River Falls, Minn.

THUNDER BAY, Ont. – The Superior International Junior Hockey League announced Friday that it has awarded a conditional expansion franchise to Thief River Falls, Minn., which once confirmed, would begin play in the 2016-17 season.

The SIJHL’s board of governors voted unanimously to award the franchise, contingent on approval by Hockey Canada and the Canadian Junior Hockey League as well as an arena lease agreement between TRF Junior Hockey LLC and the City of Thief River Falls.

The franchise already received formal approval from USA Hockey during its annual winter meeting on Jan. 15 in Orlando, Fla.

The expansion team will play out of the 3,593-seat Ralph Engelstad Arena in Thief River Falls, a community of 8,700 located in northwestern Minnesota, less than an hour from the North Dakota border.

"We are extremely excited to bring Junior "A" hockey to the great community of Thief River Falls and the beautiful Ralph Engelstad Arena", stated SIJHL Commissioner Bryan Graham.

"The franchise has a solid ownership group made up of some very familiar names to hockey fans of Thief River Falls and the surrounding area", added Graham.

The ownership group consists of Kevin McCallum of Thunder Bay, Ont., Dave Beito, President of Northern State Bank, Tim Berglund, former NHL player and current head coach of TRF High School boys’ hockey team as well as local businessman and former WCHA official Tom Goddard. A fifth member of the ownership group is expected to be announced at a later date.

"Myself and my fiancé Natalee Maxwell are very excited for this opportunity to be involved with such a great ownership group and we look forward to being members of the SIJHL for many years to come", said McCallum.

"We believe we have a great city and arena that will be a diamond in the league. Commissioner Graham has worked hard to improve the league both on and off the ice and I hope hockey fans in northwestern Ontario and northern Minnesota take notice with their support of their local junior programs", added McCallum.

Thief River Falls is set to become the second SIJHL franchise in the state, joining the Minnesota Iron Rangers, who are based out of Hoyt Lakes.
Section 8 guy

Post by Section 8 guy »

Just out of curiosity........how much have the Minnesota Iron Rangers affected hockey in section 7AA to this point? How many years have they been around?
Section 8 guy

Post by Section 8 guy »

Just out of curiosity........how much have the Minnesota Iron Rangers affected hockey in section 7AA to this point? How many years have they been around?
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

A letter of understanding has been signed with this team that they will not take any player with high school or youth eligibility.

I have spoke with the primary owner and manager as well as with MH USAH and there will be no problems if the wish to remain. Everyone in District 16 favors this and I am assuming all of Section 8 does also (I have not heard of any negative feedback).

It should be a good thing for all.
observer

Post by observer »

The number of Tier III teams and the number of kids paying to play jr. and 16 and 18 AAA hockey is huge.

http://www.usahockey.com/page/show/9046 ... -directory

http://www.wshl.pointstreaksites.com/vi ... ckeyleague

& more
norcon

Post by norcon »

Section 8 guy wrote:Just out of curiosity........how much have the Minnesota Iron Rangers affected hockey in section 7AA to this point? How many years have they been around?
Not one bit. I would compare the quality of play similar to that of
junior gold...not very good! Not sure how long they've been around. Surprised if they still exist.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Iron Rangers history

Season GP W L T OTL GF GA Pts Results Playoffs
2011-12 56 9 45 - 2 155 432 20 7th of 7 Lost Survivor Series, 0-2 (Clydesdales)
2012-13 56 26 28 - 2 161 194 54 5th of 5 Won Quarterfinals 2-1 (North Stars)
Lost Semifinals, 0-4 (Wilderness)
2013-14 56 36 14 - 6 237 168 78 3rd of 6 Won Quarterfinals, 4-0 (Wilderness)
Won Semifinals, 4-2 (North Stars)
Lost Finals, 3-4 (Lakers)
2014-15 56 30 20 - 6 246 198 66 2nd of 5 Lost Semifinals, 2-4 (Ice Dogs)

Not sure if I would call it Jr. Gold.
They send a lot of kids off to D3 schools and have had kids move to D1 schools and have a couple of alumni in the NHL. It is typical a spring board to the next level of juniors or to D3. For some just a chance to play some hockey and gain the experience or learn that they just are not good enough.

For NW MN it is a chance for some kids to try it without traveling half way across the country.
It is a chance for TRF to rent some ice that sits unused right now.
Its good for HS and youth players to learn a bit more about the next level and perhaps inspire some kids.

If they can make it work financially, great.
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

elliott70 wrote:Iron Rangers history

They send a lot of kids off to D3 schools and have had kids move to D1 schools and have a couple of alumni in the NHL. It is typical a spring board to the next level of juniors or to D3. For some just a chance to play some hockey and gain the experience or learn that they just are not good enough.

For NW MN it is a chance for some kids to try it without traveling half way across the country.
Its good for HS and youth players to learn a bit more about the next level and perhaps inspire some kids.

Thanks for the update on the team and league elliot. It sounds like a good opportunity for kids out of the region to try a little junior hockey and potentially move on. Looking at college rosters you have to play juniors now days not matter what.
JSR

Post by JSR »

It's definitely not junior gold, in fact it's ALOT better than that and the way you explained it Elliott was excellent.....

Actually what it is, is all those kids who made up those top ranked high school teams, guess what not all of them were superstars going directly to the USHL, or D1 or whatever.. in fact the overwhelming majority of them were not superstars, they were really good hockey players who played roles on top ranked MN high school teams or high level Tier AAA teams who never were the superstars of the team but loved hockey just as much, worked at it just as hard and are hoping with a bit more time and training they can extend their careers and play college hockey whether it be D3 or D1 or whatever.... so yea it actually kind of irks me when folks like norcon try and cut it down and dismiss it as if it were not worthy somehow just because they don't have the education or the hockey acumen to understand it...
Section 8 guy

Post by Section 8 guy »

Just to clarify JSR.......I think he was saying it's about like Junior Gold in Minnesota. Based on your reaction I'm guessing you thought he was comparing it to Junior Gold in Wisconsin........

:shock: :D \:D/
norcon

Post by norcon »

JSR wrote:

It's definitely not junior gold, in fact it's ALOT better than that and the way you explained it Elliott was excellent.....

Actually what it is, is all those kids who made up those top ranked high school teams, guess what not all of them were superstars going directly to the USHL, or D1 or whatever.. in fact the overwhelming majority of them were not superstars, they were really good hockey players who played roles on top ranked MN high school teams or high level Tier AAA teams who never were the superstars of the team but loved hockey just as much, worked at it just as hard and are hoping with a bit more time and training they can extend their careers and play college hockey whether it be D3 or D1 or whatever.... so yea it actually kind of irks me when folks like norcon try and cut it down and dismiss it as if it were not worthy somehow just because they don't have the education or the hockey acumen to understand it...
Wow, I think I hit a nerve here...obviously a parent. OK, I will admit comparing it to junior gold was a bit of an exaggeration, but have you actually witnessed any of these lower junior league games? I have. The hockey was not very entertaining. How many different levels of junior hockey have to be offered for these young men to keep playing and chasing a dream? If a player is good enough, he or she will get noticed. Not all are meant to go on and play college hockey. The bottom line Is these leagues are still all about trying to make a buck.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

norcon wrote: Wow, I think I hit a nerve here...obviously a parent. OK, I will admit comparing it to junior gold was a bit of an exaggeration, but have you actually witnessed any of these lower junior league games? I have. The hockey was not very entertaining. How many different levels of junior hockey have to be offered for these young men to keep playing and chasing a dream? If a player is good enough, he or she will get noticed. Not all are meant to go on and play college hockey. The bottom line Is these leagues are still all about trying to make a buck.
Which junior league is not about making money?
norcon

Post by norcon »

elliott70 wrote:
norcon wrote: Wow, I think I hit a nerve here...obviously a parent. OK, I will admit comparing it to junior gold was a bit of an exaggeration, but have you actually witnessed any of these lower junior league games? I have. The hockey was not very entertaining. How many different levels of junior hockey have to be offered for these young men to keep playing and chasing a dream? If a player is good enough, he or she will get noticed. Not all are meant to go on and play college hockey. The bottom line Is these leagues are still all about trying to make a buck.
Which junior league is not about making money?
I just love the chatter and these guys who think their kid is much better than they really are and believe these junior teams are all about developing players and looking out for their best interests.
green4

Post by green4 »

I played junior gold hockey and I had teammates who played MNJHL which is comparable in terms of tier status.
I think the biggest issue this league has is there is only 5 teams.