Hibbing vs Grand Rapids

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Mite-dad

Post by Mite-dad »

Now that that is all figured out, let's focus on what is really important. Why is gas so cheap in Hibbing and so high in Grand Rapids?
greenway1969

Post by greenway1969 »

Wet Paint, even though you meant Hibbing, it was just a Freudian slip. Your statement is completely applicable to a Greenway/Rapids showdown.
north_bear

Re: Hibbing vs Grand Rapids

Post by north_bear »

northwoods oldtimer wrote:
TheHockeyDJ wrote:
howardst wrote:Any thoughts? Hibb can score can Rapids? Pride of the range is on the line. Will perunovich control the ice?
Can Rapids score? Good grief. How's outscoring their opponents 18-4 their last 3 games.

Now back to conversation that isn't ridiculous. I unfortunately have not been able to see Peronuvich play yet, probably won't until Feb. 20. A month ago I probably would have thought this game could be close. GR looks like they finally have their lineup set and even vs Hermantown last week they really didn't play a bad game, but I know some fans can only be surface analysts. The only games GR really didn't play very well were at LVN, EP, and ER. Coach Klatt was mad after those games, he was not mad after Hermantown.

Back to this game, Hibbing Memorial Arena is one of my favorite barns, probably going old school it is my favorite outside of the IRA, followed closely by the old DECC and Hodgins. The 7AA tourney at Hibbing was one of the best atmospheres you can find for HS hockey. Not saying I want to ever leave Amsoil Arena, but they are great memories.

GR should win this game, but this game feels a lot closer to the old IRC days when Hibbing played AA. I think much like GR's game at Cloquet, Hibbing can keep it close and they'll need outstanding goaltending. I think GR wins 4-1.
9 of those were against "little sisters of the poor". Don't get your chest too puffed up on the margins DJ.
Should be a good one Hibbing always tough in their barn and Perunovich is the best player in the north not even close. If GR Stay out of the box they should have a shot to win. Should be a dandy.
Are you counting Hermantown as "north"? Aamodt or however it's spelled is a better player/defenseman than Perunovich and he has more size. I think this will be a dandy of a game. Hope it's a full house. I don't think Hibbing has played many good teams lately. Will be interesting to see if they can hold up against Rapids depth at forward.

I'll take Rapids 4-2.
Thunderhawk Fanatic!!
rainier

Post by rainier »

north_bear wrote:
TheHockeyDJ wrote: Can Rapids score? Good grief. How's outscoring their opponents 18-4 their last 3 games.

Now back to conversation that isn't ridiculous. I unfortunately have not been able to see Peronuvich play yet, probably won't until Feb. 20. A month ago I probably would have thought this game could be close. GR looks like they finally have their lineup set and even vs Hermantown last week they really didn't play a bad game, but I know some fans can only be surface analysts. The only games GR really didn't play very well were at LVN, EP, and ER. Coach Klatt was mad after those games, he was not mad after Hermantown.

Back to this game, Hibbing Memorial Arena is one of my favorite barns, probably going old school it is my favorite outside of the IRA, followed closely by the old DECC and Hodgins. The 7AA tourney at Hibbing was one of the best atmospheres you can find for HS hockey. Not saying I want to ever leave Amsoil Arena, but they are great memories.

GR should win this game, but this game feels a lot closer to the old IRC days when Hibbing played AA. I think much like GR's game at Cloquet, Hibbing can keep it close and they'll need outstanding goaltending. I think GR wins 4-1.
9 of those were against "little sisters of the poor". Don't get your chest too puffed up on the margins DJ.
Should be a good one Hibbing always tough in their barn and Perunovich is the best player in the north not even close. If GR Stay out of the box they should have a shot to win. Should be a dandy.
Are you counting Hermantown as "north"? Aamodt or however it's spelled is a better player/defenseman than Perunovich and he has more size. I think this will be a dandy of a game. Hope it's a full house. I don't think Hibbing has played many good teams lately. Will be interesting to see if they can hold up against Rapids depth at forward.

I'll take Rapids 4-2.
I disagree that Aamodt is better than Perunovich.

-Perunovich had more points in the Elite League (33 to 22).
-Perunovich committed to UMD last year as a sophomore, Aamodt has yet to commit anywhere as a senior.
-Perunovich made the national team last summer that played in Europe, and the NTDP U-18 team asked him to play for them in their recent games vs UMD and SCSU. I don't believe Aamodt has made any such teams.
-Perunovich is on NHL Central Scouting list, I don't see Aamodt on there.

Aamodt is an outstanding player that will be in D1, and he does have a size advantage over Perunovich, but Perunovich's hands and mobility are top 3 in the state.

Again, I think Aamodt is fantastic, but I'd take Perunovich any day.

Back on topic, Perunovich will need to make some of his patented filthy passes in order for Hibbing to win this one.
"You can't triple stamp a double stamp." -Harry Dunn
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

elliott70 wrote:I don't think of THawks as being inconsistent, but just not playing to what we were given to believe was their potential.

When that happens the conclusion would be they were not as good as we were told. I think the team is in that 8 to 10 range in AA. That they will give section 7AA a run. if they get through that they will need to pick it up a bit to get to the top (as will most, as the top 4 will be tough).

And if you do not know the top 4 its LN, EP or HFC, Blaine and BSM.

Then ER (or DE or GR), STA (Rosemount), Bemidji or Moorhead, and Stillwater or HM.

Interesting that each section has at least two if not 4 teams that have a shot at getting to state. A lot of parity this year.
Very accurate statements elliott70.
Wet Paint

Post by Wet Paint »

elliott70 wrote:I don't think of THawks as being inconsistent, but just not playing to what we were given to believe was their potential.

When that happens the conclusion would be they were not as good as we were told. I think the team is in that 8 to 10 range in AA. That they will give section 7AA a run. if they get through that they will need to pick it up a bit to get to the top (as will most, as the top 4 will be tough).

And if you do not know the top 4 its LN, EP or HFC, Blaine and BSM.

Then ER (or DE or GR), STA (Rosemount), Bemidji or Moorhead, and Stillwater or HM.

Interesting that each section has at least two if not 4 teams that have a shot at getting to state. A lot of parity this year.
Very accurate statements elliott70.
I agree with most of that but the problem I have is that when I go see them play a team and they are pretty much up to hype play wise and then go see them play another game and they are pretty much the opposite. You can even see it from 1 period to the next sometimes. Rapids has a Jekyll and Hyde personality which I think is correctly being labeled as inconsistent.
greenway1969

Post by greenway1969 »

I've seen Aamodt and Perunovich play against the same team (Greenway). Although Aamodt is a great player, he does not have nearly the same impact that Perunovich can have on a game. Aamodt was able to create space on some occasions but not enough to change the game. He never was able to go end to end with the puck. If he started in the defensive end Greenway didn't let him through the neutral zone. I don't know how many times Perunovich did go from end to end. Let me put it another way, take away Perunovich and Greenway would have beaten Hibbing. Take away Aamodt and I think Hermantown would still have prevailed.
north_bear

Post by north_bear »

That just shows you how much depth Hermantown has and how much Hibbing relies on their all star. I think you mean take away the Greenway penalties and Hibbing loses. Aamodt doesn't need to make rushes up ice all the time. He has talented forwards that can do that. He is able to log so many minutes each game because he defends in back while the forwards work the puck. Perunovich is a quick, shifty skater with great hands. He is fun to watch him. And is very dangerous running the power play.
Thunderhawk Fanatic!!
northwoods oldtimer

Sats81 wrote:
TheHockeyDJ wrote: Can Rapids score? Good grief. How's outscoring their opponents 18-4 their last 3 games.

How quickly you have forgotten how delusional our old friend DJ is!

Don't be surprised to see the bluejackets come out on top this game. Remember, Rapids isn't exactly the model of consistency.

If names won games/championships they are the answer, but it doesn't. Grit, rising to the occasion, character does, (Rapids seems to lack here)...that will get em riled up!
DJ, If rapids can show a pulse each shift out for rest of season I will eat crow by seasons end. Reports I am getting is they are not able to muster steady effort it takes. Maybe the preseason top 5 hype set the table higher than expected for this team than can be delivered, I don't know. I trust the guys around the state on here can give a good unbiased opinion of a team. Laying 2 real stinkers in front of a state wide audience down at Edina does not help this team gain credibility. Sounds like the staff has it going in the right direction, so Hibbing should be as always a great test. Anyway you slice it you have to love Memorial for hockey. Hope the fans are treated to a good game.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

I remember HMB from Hound playoff games in late 60s,it was always cold, but haven't been back there since. Also have family roots in Chisholm from era when HMB was built. So got to pull for underdog Hibbing in this one. Agree Perunovich is best in state, but Wyatt is 2nd , all Metro D come after those two. Most importantly, is there a live stream and who will be posting to Forum and give us crowdsize at the outset and other game comments beyond the short FTP tweets?
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

Their effort is just as good as anyone else in 7AA. Even Elk River, while mostly a solid team, they aren't the 93 Jaguars. Was surprised they narrowly escaped Titino Grace last night. A lot of season left, the top 3 are still battling for position. Whoever emerges as the top seed is basically in the Section Final. Whomever is the 3 seed is gonna get a fight in the quarters. As coach Klatt keeps preaching, their is a right way and a wrong way to play, if they decide to do things right they're gonna be okay.
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine
Immigrant Fan

Post by Immigrant Fan »

Oh boy, this is great! Comments all over the place integrating H-town depth regardless of class, a Hibbing one-man team, Greenway's inherent superiority over anything from that pathetic town to the west, Rapids inconsistency and lack of character, and even a hockey game Thursday night.

From what I saw of Perunovich last year, he is scary good. I think he is entirely capable of carrying a team past the T-hawks. I seem to recall Beaulieu (or however you spell it) doing something similar two years ago when DLH-East came to Rapids. That kid never came off the ice and killed them all night. I could see Perunovich doing it as well.

I was over Bemidji-way today and had the opportunity to visit with some Bemidji faithful. They were lamenting the Jacks lack of consistency, recent selfish play ("worrying about their own stats and not remembering it is a team game"), and lack of effort. I was aghast. I thought Rapids monopolized those traits this season. Maybe the GR players are just high school kids after all and not that different than anywhere else. Perhaps the schizophrenia continues...or perhaps they have learned the lesson and are on the right track. Oh well, I guess I will just root for them and see where it goes.

As for H-town, I have to believe many are as tired hearing about in which class the Hawks should compete as hearing anything about Rapids. I don't care whether it is A or AA. If H-town (or Hibbing or Greenway) is in St. Paul in March I will be sitting with their fans cheering.

As for the inherent superiority of Greenway over Rapids...dude, it's Itasca County. I don't care if it is Coleraine, Bovey, LaPrairie, Cohasset, or GR, we pretty much look the same to the rest of the state. It is a nice rivalry in a very small area.

Go Lightning!!
Not born here...
...but, would hate to leave
howardst

Post by howardst »

Immigrant. - best take I ave read on here in a long time!!!
grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 »

I wish there was a video feed for this. I would really like a chance to see Perunovich(sp) play. It is fun to watch talent like that play against high school competition. I remember the Micheletti's doing some unbelievable things on the ice in those Bluejacket uniforms.

Living by Green Bay makes it tough to get over to games.
pekyman

Post by pekyman »

Immigrant Fan wrote:Oh boy, this is great! Comments all over the place integrating H-town depth regardless of class, a Hibbing one-man team, Greenway's inherent superiority over anything from that pathetic town to the west, Rapids inconsistency and lack of character, and even a hockey game Thursday night.

From what I saw of Perunovich last year, he is scary good. I think he is entirely capable of carrying a team past the T-hawks. I seem to recall Beaulieu (or however you spell it) doing something similar two years ago when DLH-East came to Rapids. That kid never came off the ice and killed them all night. I could see Perunovich doing it as well.

I was over Bemidji-way today and had the opportunity to visit with some Bemidji faithful. They were lamenting the Jacks lack of consistency, recent selfish play ("worrying about their own stats and not remembering it is a team game"), and lack of effort. I was aghast. I thought Rapids monopolized those traits this season. Maybe the GR players are just high school kids after all and not that different than anywhere else. Perhaps the schizophrenia continues...or perhaps they have learned the lesson and are on the right track. Oh well, I guess I will just root for them and see where it goes.

As for H-town, I have to believe many are as tired hearing about in which class the Hawks should compete as hearing anything about Rapids. I don't care whether it is A or AA. If H-town (or Hibbing or Greenway) is in St. Paul in March I will be sitting with their fans cheering.

As for the inherent superiority of Greenway over Rapids...dude, it's Itasca County. I don't care if it is Coleraine, Bovey, LaPrairie, Cohasset, or GR, we pretty much look the same to the rest of the state. It is a nice rivalry in a very small area.

Go Lightning!!
=D>
northwoods oldtimer

Ranier does Hibbing radio have an audio stream for the game?
Tough listen to that rapids broadcast.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

northwoods oldtimer wrote:Ranier does Hibbing radio have an audio stream for the game?
It's not biased it it? LOL.
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

northwoods oldtimer wrote:Ranier does Hibbing radio have an audio stream for the game?
I miss Jason Merritt on the play-by-play. The current play-by-play guy is a nice person, but I get so annoyed when something happens and he's taking 5 seconds to figure out the players name then tells us what happened. No, tell us a goal occured first, then tell us who the player is. I don't know how many times I think maybe a goal was scored or a chance missed and I'm sitting there waiting for him while he's "uh uh that is uh uh uh uh uh....I think it is Micah Miller...who got the pass and scored the goal"

What is really bad is who is sitting in my old chair at the IRA. The music selection is brutal. I rarely hear anything from past 1985. American Woman by Lenny Kravitz during warmups every game, "The Hey Song" during a faceoff in the middle of the 2nd period, and YMCA. I couldn't be more awful if I tried. There are so many resources to play good music. Such as on spotify the LA Kings have their list up under "LA Kings 2015-2016". And I appreciate the use of old classic rock and older music (sparingly), but warmups should have songs like "Blame" from Calvin Harris and "Wake Me Up" by Avicii as you'll find in any NHL arena lately.
Last edited by TheHockeyDJ on Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

Sats81 wrote:
Home radio is supposed to be biased. There are other reasons why it could improve.
north_bear

Post by north_bear »

Sats81 wrote:
What hometown radio station wouldn't be a little pro home team :?:
Thunderhawk Fanatic!!
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

ahhhhh the rapids boys. gotta love em.
north_bear

Post by north_bear »

TheHockeyDJ wrote:
I miss Jason Merritt on the play-by-play. What is really bad is who is sitting in my old chair at the IRA. The music selection is brutal. I rarely hear anything from past 1985. American Woman by Lenny Kravitz during warmups every game, "The Hey Song" during a faceoff in the middle of the 2nd intermisssion, and YMCA. I couldn't be more awful if I tried. There are so many resources to play good music. Such as on spotify the LA Kings have their list up under "LA Kings 2015-2016". And I appreciate the use old classic rock and older music, but warmups should have songs like "Blame" from Calvin Harris as you'll find in any NHL arena lately.
Every once in a while a newer track is thrown out but mostly it's oldies. Some times they play Thunderstruck during intros which is kinda cool. They could hook up any high schoolers ipod and it would instantly be way better. From what I've seen and heard Greenway has the same music Era as rapids. Gets old after awhile.
Thunderhawk Fanatic!!
boblee

Post by boblee »

WestMetro wrote:I remember HMB from Hound playoff games in late 60s,it was always cold, but haven't been back there since. Also have family roots in Chisholm from era when HMB was built. So got to pull for underdog Hibbing in this one. Agree Perunovich is best in state, but Wyatt is 2nd , all Metro D come after those two. Most importantly, is there a live stream and who will be posting to Forum and give us crowdsize at the outset and other game comments beyond the short FTP tweets?
We always have full in-game tweeting service at @grhshockey. Game can be heard online at www.kozyradio.com. I love your comments, except I would say Hibbing is the favorite.
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

north_bear wrote:
TheHockeyDJ wrote:
I miss Jason Merritt on the play-by-play. What is really bad is who is sitting in my old chair at the IRA. The music selection is brutal. I rarely hear anything from past 1985. American Woman by Lenny Kravitz during warmups every game, "The Hey Song" during a faceoff in the middle of the 2nd intermisssion, and YMCA. I couldn't be more awful if I tried. There are so many resources to play good music. Such as on spotify the LA Kings have their list up under "LA Kings 2015-2016". And I appreciate the use old classic rock and older music, but warmups should have songs like "Blame" from Calvin Harris as you'll find in any NHL arena lately.
Every once in a while a newer track is thrown out but mostly it's oldies. Some times they play Thunderstruck during intros which is kinda cool. They could hook up any high schoolers ipod and it would instantly be way better. From what I've seen and heard Greenway has the same music Era as rapids. Gets old after awhile.
Thunderstruck is definetly and old school track that belongs on the playlist, but it should be used maybe every third game, otherwise it is overused and loses its appeal.
rainier

Post by rainier »

Sadly, no. The company that owns WMFG in Hibbing streams their other stations, but for some unknown reason they do not stream WMFG.

As for video, I thought Hibbing was going to be doing the same thing as GR with the whole pay for a video package through NFHS, but I have yet to see anything.

I guess its KOZY or bust!

(On a side note, Mesabi Community Television in Virginia does a fantastic job with hockey games, better than anything I've seen from iFan.tv out of Duluthm the Cube, or NFHS. They have multiple camera angles, an announcer who actually took the time to learn opposing player's names/numbers, and an embedded view of the scoreboard so you always know score, time, even shots. Wish Hibbing had that.)
"You can't triple stamp a double stamp." -Harry Dunn