Hermantown at Greenway Raiders

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who will win?

Poll ended at Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:56 pm

Hermantown
84%
Greenway
16%

Total votes: 25

northwoods oldtimer

Hermantown at Greenway Raiders

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

Who will win this 7A game Tue Jan 12, 2016 night at Hodgins-Berardo Arena, Coleraine? Hermantown by a lot or close game with Greenway pulling upset?
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

Hermantown 4-1
rainier

Post by rainier »

Greenway's top line could make some noise against Herm's 2nd and 3rd D pairings, but the Hawks offensive talent will be too much for the Raiders' defense.

I'd love to see LaDoux pull a rabbit out of his hat and steal the game, but it's hard to see it happening.

6-2 Hermantown.
"You can't triple stamp a double stamp." -Harry Dunn
greenway1969

Post by greenway1969 »

Hermantown 4-2 if Greenway stays out of the penalty box or 5-1 if they don't. In other words 5-1 Hermantown.
Sanford

Post by Sanford »

Hawks 8-1
pekyman

Post by pekyman »

This should be a good game! Like to go watch it. Where is Greenway?
pats12

Post by pats12 »

pekyman wrote:This should be a good game! Like to go watch it. Where is Greenway?
NW side of "trout" lake. Hermantown 7-1.
greenway1969

Post by greenway1969 »

It's a school district comprised of seven small town east of Grand Rapids: LaPrairie, Coleraine, Bovey, Taconite, Marble, Calumet and Pengilly. It has an enrollment of 258 in grades 9-12. The high school is located in Coleraine.
rainier

Post by rainier »

pekyman wrote:This should be a good game! Like to go watch it. Where is Greenway?
If anyone is wondering where Hermantown is, it's a suburb in a metro area of 150,000 people. It's located in the swamp behind the mall in Duluth. And even though the roster contains players from Duluth, Proctor, Hibbing, Colorado, and Hermantown, the locals like to pretend the program is "small school hockey made up of hometown kids". And the players are good enough to play AA all through youth hockey, but somehow they magically become single A once they get go high school. It is a strange, fascinating place. :D
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

h 6
g 1
howardst

Post by howardst »

I believe this is a mismatch but was it over when the germans bombed pearl harbor?
hadenuf

Post by hadenuf »

rainier wrote:Greenway's top line could make some noise against Herm's 2nd and 3rd D pairings, but the Hawks offensive talent will be too much for the Raiders' defense.

I'd love to see LaDoux pull a rabbit out of his hat and steal the game, but it's hard to see it happening.

6-2 Hermantown.
2nd and 3rd defense pair? Never saw them vs Rapids. Seemed like Aamodt and Gotz played 50 minutes.
hadenuf

Post by hadenuf »

rainier wrote:Greenway's top line could make some noise against Herm's 2nd and 3rd D pairings, but the Hawks offensive talent will be too much for the Raiders' defense.

6-2 Hermantown.
2nd and 3rd defense pair? Never saw them vs Rapids. Seemed like Aamodt and Gotz played 50 minutes.
kniven

Post by kniven »

rainier wrote:
If anyone is wondering where Hermantown is, it's a suburb in a metro area of 150,000 people. It's located in the swamp behind the mall in Duluth. And even though the roster contains players from Duluth, Proctor, Hibbing, Colorado, and Hermantown, the locals like to pretend the program is "small school hockey made up of hometown kids". And the players are good enough to play AA all through youth hockey, but somehow they magically become single A once they get go high school. It is a strange, fascinating place. :D
So they have outside kids play consistently for Hermantown? Interesting. But they don't recruit. Talent just wants to play there. I bet Marshall going AA is going to have an impact
pekyman

Post by pekyman »

rainier wrote:
rainier wrote:
Yes it must seem fascinating for you to see a community and hockey program like Hermantown. You should come down and spend some time observing the program and get some ideas on improving yours. I'll give you a hint: community involvement, dedication, commitment, hard work, to name a few. The Hermantown youth program developeds kids into hockey players whether their born here or come at a later date. Give each MN HS hockey organization 30 of the same cloned kids at age 3 and develop them to HS age and play a tournament. My money would be on the boys developed through Hermantown. I am really sick of you trashing Hermantown like it is some Twin Cities metro private school recruiting players from all over the country, just so your Hibbing team can have a better chance of losing at state; and mark my words, you would lose. In the past seven years the best your Hibbing team would have done at state in class A is lose a semi-final game. I have no idea what the future holds for the Hermantown hockey program. If it was in AA, with a school size of 615, it would be the smallest school in AA except for Roseau and there is no EAST in Section 8. This A/AA designation in youth hockey is only in its 3rd year. Hermantown has played East in youth hockey since the beginning of time and you could count on 1 hand, maybe 2, the numder times that Hermantown a HT peewee or bantam team has beaten East. Many of the games have been blowouts. It has been only very recent that the games have become more competitive and a part of that has been a fall in East and an improvement in HT. If there is a move to AA it will be on Hermantown terms, not yours. So you really know nothing of Hermantown, the community, it's work ethic or its history. Your just up on da range in your pathetic little hole spewing your bs to shame HT into AA so your team doesn't have to work as hard to get to state. Did Hibbing get that spring/summer/fall hockey program up and running yet?
kniven

Post by kniven »

pekyman wrote:
rainier wrote:
rainier wrote:

Yes it must seem fascinating for you to see a community and hockey program like Hermantown. You should come down and spend some time observing the program and get some ideas on improving yours. I'll give you a hint: community involvement, dedication, commitment, hard work, to name a few. The Hermantown youth program developeds kids into hockey players whether their born here or come at a later date. Give each MN HS hockey organization 30 of the same cloned kids at age 3 and develop them to HS age and play a tournament. My money would be on the boys developed through Hermantown. I am really sick of you trashing Hermantown like it is some Twin Cities metro private school recruiting players from all over the country, just so your Hibbing team can have a better chance of losing at state; and mark my words, you would lose. In the past seven years the best your Hibbing team would have done at state in class A is lose a semi-final game. I have no idea what the future holds for the Hermantown hockey program. If it was in AA, with a school size of 615, it would be the smallest school in AA except for Roseau and there is no EAST in Section 8. This A/AA designation in youth hockey is only in its 3rd year. Hermantown has played East in youth hockey since the beginning of time and you could count on 1 hand, maybe 2, the numder times that Hermantown a HT peewee or banCEC boys hockey boys and girls on the road tonight and tomorrow in Eden Prairie and Andover. "Good things" #hugefantam team has beaten East. Many of the games have been blowouts. It has been only very recent that the games have become more competitive and a part of that has been a fall in East and an improvement in HT. If there is a move to AA it will be on Hermantown terms, not yours. So you really know nothing of Hermantown, the community, it's work ethic or its history. Your just up on da range in your pathetic little hole spewing your bs to shame HT into AA so your team doesn't have to work as hard to get to state. Did Hibbing get that spring/summer/fall hockey program up and running yet?
Bottom line. Hermantown high school hockey is really good. And I think it's great for northern Minnesota to have quality team, wether it be A or AA. Winning is fun for the players. Kids just want to win and play for a program in high school that's wins every year. Sure, I am jealous being a CEC fan. We've got Hermantown in town Monday night for Bantam AA game then in Hermantown later this month for high school. It's all good :)
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

howardst wrote:I believe this is a mismatch but was it over when the germans bombed pearl harbor?
Animal House, gotta luv it.
greenway1969

Post by greenway1969 »

Thank you Elliott. I was trying to remember where I had heard that before.
Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

greenway1969 wrote:It's a school district comprised of seven small town east of Grand Rapids: LaPrairie, Coleraine, Bovey, Taconite, Marble, Calumet and Pengilly. It has an enrollment of 258 in grades 9-12. The high school is located in Coleraine.
Did Mike Peluso play HS Hockey at Greenway or did he play Juniors? How about his brother Joe? Were you around back then?
rainier

Post by rainier »

pekyman wrote:
rainier wrote:
rainier wrote:
Yes it must seem fascinating for you to see a community and hockey program like Hermantown. You should come down and spend some time observing the program and get some ideas on improving yours. I'll give you a hint: community involvement, dedication, commitment, hard work, to name a few. The Hermantown youth program developeds kids into hockey players whether their born here or come at a later date. Give each MN HS hockey organization 30 of the same cloned kids at age 3 and develop them to HS age and play a tournament. My money would be on the boys developed through Hermantown. I am really sick of you trashing Hermantown like it is some Twin Cities metro private school recruiting players from all over the country, just so your Hibbing team can have a better chance of losing at state; and mark my words, you would lose. In the past seven years the best your Hibbing team would have done at state in class A is lose a semi-final game. I have no idea what the future holds for the Hermantown hockey program. If it was in AA, with a school size of 615, it would be the smallest school in AA except for Roseau and there is no EAST in Section 8. This A/AA designation in youth hockey is only in its 3rd year. Hermantown has played East in youth hockey since the beginning of time and you could count on 1 hand, maybe 2, the numder times that Hermantown a HT peewee or bantam team has beaten East. Many of the games have been blowouts. It has been only very recent that the games have become more competitive and a part of that has been a fall in East and an improvement in HT. If there is a move to AA it will be on Hermantown terms, not yours. So you really know nothing of Hermantown, the community, it's work ethic or its history. Your just up on da range in your pathetic little hole spewing your bs to shame HT into AA so your team doesn't have to work as hard to get to state. Did Hibbing get that spring/summer/fall hockey program up and running yet?
If Hermantown is such a player development machine, as you suggest, then why do they step down to A when they reach high school? If they are so good at developing players, then why doesn't the high school team play at the same level as the youth teams? Shouldn't they be getting better every year they are in such a superior program?

Do you honestly believe that being in a metro area of 150,000 people has nothing to do with Hermantowns success?

As far as not being able to beat East, Cloquet and Rapids beat East this year, and Hermantown has beaten those two teams by a combined score of 13-3 this year. C'mon pek, you can't really believe Hermantown can't compete in 7AA.

Okay, I'll get the Hibbing program on par with Hermantown.
Step one: Have 150,000 people within a 10 minute drive of your program.
You're gonna have to give me a few weeks to work on that.

Your team should be in AA, and everyone knows it.
greenway1969

Post by greenway1969 »

The Peluso's played at Greenway. One of Greeenway'a defensemen (Sundquist) has Peluso connections. Tom and Jim were a couple years younger than me.
Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

rainier wrote:
pekyman wrote:
rainier wrote: If anyone is wondering where Hermantown is, it's a suburb in a metro area of 150,000 people. It's located in the swamp behind the mall in Duluth. And even though the roster contains players from Duluth, Proctor, Hibbing, Colorado, and Hermantown, the locals like to pretend the program is "small school hockey made up of hometown kids". And the players are good enough to play AA all through youth hockey, but somehow they magically become single A once they get go high school. It is a strange, fascinating place. :D
rainier wrote: If anyone is wondering where Hermantown is, it's a suburb in a metro area of 150,000 people. It's located in the swamp behind the mall in Duluth. And even though the roster contains players from Duluth, Proctor, Hibbing, Colorado, and Hermantown, the locals like to pretend the program is "small school hockey made up of hometown kids". And the players are good enough to play AA all through youth hockey, but somehow they magically become single A once they get go high school. It is a strange, fascinating place. :D
If Hermantown is such a player development machine, as you suggest, then why do they step down to A when they reach high school? If they are so good at developing players, then why doesn't the high school team play at the same level as the youth teams? Shouldn't they be getting better every year they are in such a superior program?

Do you honestly believe that being in a metro area of 150,000 people has nothing to do with Hermantowns success?

As far as not being able to beat East, Cloquet and Rapids beat East this year, and Hermantown has beaten those two teams by a combined score of 13-3 this year. C'mon pek, you can't really believe Hermantown can't compete in 7AA.

Okay, I'll get the Hibbing program on par with Hermantown.
Step one: Have 150,000 people within a 10 minute drive of your program.
You're gonna have to give me a few weeks to work on that.

Your team should be in AA, and everyone knows it.
Yes, they would compete in AA every year, but they have the best of both worlds right now so why would they change it? The kids get to play AA in Youth and the High School plays mostly AA teams already. And they get to play on TV every year at the X and are the favorites to win the Championship. That's what attracts the parents from the other programs up here. If they weren't going every year that pipeline could eventually dry up. It may cost them a few Elite players in the future but those kids are few and far between. We would all love to see another top Northern team in AA, but I guess I don't see where it would make much sense for them to opt up.
thegreatone99

Re: Hermantown at Greenway Raiders

Post by thegreatone99 »

northwoods oldtimer wrote:Who will win this 7A game Tue Jan 12, 2016 night at Hodgins-Berardo Arena, Coleraine? Hermantown by a lot or close game with Greenway pulling upset?
I go with Greenway pulling the upset over Goliath, go Raiders !!!!!!!!
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

I wish I could make it to this game.

Hopefully, some 'bored' member will be there and give some updates - more than just the scores.

I am sure there will be Twitter reports, but the board updates tend to be better.
greenway1969

Post by greenway1969 »

I'll try to give a little more info. Hope Greenway makes a game of it. After I saw what Hermantown did to Rapids, that's a tall order.