Blaine at Duluth East 1/2

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins?

Poll ended at Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:47 am

Blaine
47%
Duluth East
53%

Total votes: 15

TheHockeyDJ

Blaine at Duluth East 1/2

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

East might wanna go back to the 2-3 with Tufte on the ice. Blaine 6-2.
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Duluth east has the size and capability to win this one, if they start fresh and pull everything together after the layoff
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

This will be East coming out party for the turn around to the season. 4-3 win. Good match up.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

Release the HOUNDS!!!
Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

Sats81 wrote:Release the HOUNDS!!!
I'm just picturing Mike Randolph at home in his white lab coat and big dark glasses, mixing smoking potions. "It works, it works!, soon the Hounds will rule Ze World! He has everyone right where he wants them. The Hounds will Rise Again!
kniven

Post by kniven »

Jeffy95 wrote:
Sats81 wrote:Release the HOUNDS!!!
I'm just picturing Mike Randolph at home in his white lab coat and big dark glasses, mixing smoking potions. "It works, it works!, soon the Hounds will rule Ze World! He has everyone right where he wants them. The Hounds will Rise Again!
Good stuff! I wouldn't be surprised...
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

An intriguing game, to be sure. This game was wildly entertaining last year, though not very pleasant for those of us who enjoy some occasional defense. I'm heading north for the weekend and will catch this one this afternoon. Curious to get a look at this East team against one of its toughest opponents. Either it's a chance for the Hounds to have a coming out party, or it'll tell us exactly what they need to get figured out over the next month and a half.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Karl if you see a live stream, please post link
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Duluth East Hockey ‏@Houndsupdates 26m26 minutes ago
Hounds lead after 1, 2-1! Shots are 9-6 in favor of the hounds
coalboss

Post by coalboss »

2-2 after 2
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Duluth East Hockey ‏@Houndsupdates 54s54 seconds ago
The game is tied 2-2 after 2. Shots are 15-12 hounds
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Blaine Bengal Hockey ‏@BHSBengalHockey 54s54 seconds ago
Broos scores!! Wrist shot goes far side and it's 4-2 bengals with 5 to play.

----------------------------------------

Blaine Bengal Hockey ‏@BHSBengalHockey 55s55 seconds ago
Tufte completes the hat trick on an unselfish pass from Notermann empty net. 5-2 blaine.
gopherman23

Post by gopherman23 »

Tufte with the hatty!!!! 5-2 Bengals after an empty netter by Tufte. 22 goals on the season now.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

Kind of a strange game, with the score certainly not telling the story of the gameplay. East looked as good as anyone in the state in the first period, with superb puck movement and forechecking. The top line was really flying, and they were rolling four and looking sound in back. Outside of a few moments of Tufte, Blaine looked flat. They got better as the game went along, with the lower lines doing just enough and popping two in the the third period to pull away with it. East's D, after a strong start, wore down some late in the game and made a couple of key errors, and despite some steady pressure in the 3rd, they couldn't get another goal. Garrett Worth in particular was snakebitten, just missing numerous times.

So, as I've been saying all along...the talent's there for East. This was my first time seeing them, and after watching them, I have no idea how they lost the games they did. Nor do they need some mad genius scheme from Randolph to get there. They're miles ahead of where they were at this point last year. Players just need to execute, and step up and show some leadership late in a close game.

Blaine was the same Blaine team I've seen a few times now. Lots of Tufte, good grit from the rest of the forwards, steady if unremarkable D, very solid goaltending. They have their flaws, but in a year of relative parity, they're a clear top 5 team.
wannagototherink

Post by wannagototherink »

karl(east) wrote:Kind of a strange game, with the score certainly not telling the story of the gameplay. East looked as good as anyone in the state in the first period, with superb puck movement and forechecking. The top line was really flying, and they were rolling four and looking sound in back. Outside of a few moments of Tufte, Blaine looked flat. They got better as the game went along, with the lower lines doing just enough and popping two in the the third period to pull away with it. East's D, after a strong start, wore down some late in the game and made a couple of key errors, and despite some steady pressure in the 3rd, they couldn't get another goal. Garrett Worth in particular was snakebitten, just missing numerous times.

So, as I've been saying all along...the talent's there for East. This was my first time seeing them, and after watching them, I have no idea how they lost the games they did. Nor do they need some mad genius scheme from Randolph to get there. They're miles ahead of where they were at this point last year. Players just need to execute, and step up and show some leadership late in a close game.

Blaine was the same Blaine team I've seen a few times now. Lots of Tufte, good grit from the rest of the forwards, steady if unremarkable D, very solid goaltending. They have their flaws, but in a year of relative parity, they're a clear top 5 team.
Karl, why do you think he matched the Freshman D against Tufte all game? I was surprised by that because it was clear (at least to me) the youngster couldn't handle the size and strength of Blaines top line. Just curious about what you think?
"I've never seen a dumb-bell score a goal!" ~Gretter
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

wannagototherink wrote:Karl, why do you think he matched the Freshman D against Tufte all game? I was surprised by that because it was clear (at least to me) the youngster couldn't handle the size and strength of Blaines top line. Just curious about what you think?
Seemed weird to me, too. Trial by fire, I guess?

It seemed like the overall approach to the game was to roll 4 lines and 3 D pairs to wear down a thinner team, but it obviously didn't work out that way.
mnmouth

Post by mnmouth »

karl(east) wrote:
wannagototherink wrote:Karl, why do you think he matched the Freshman D against Tufte all game? I was surprised by that because it was clear (at least to me) the youngster couldn't handle the size and strength of Blaines top line. Just curious about what you think?

It seemed like the overall approach to the game was to roll 4 lines and 3 D pairs to wear down a thinner team, but it obviously didn't work out that way.
The approach did work well. East possessed the puck more & spent most of the game in Blaine's end. They lost but I'm thinking Randolph was pretty happy with rolling 4 lines & 3 sets of D against a top 5 team. He has a deep skilled team that works hard. Figure out things in their own end and East could be a lot of fun to watch come February.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

mnmouth wrote:
karl(east) wrote:

The approach did work well. East possessed the puck more & spent most of the game in Blaine's end. They lost but I'm thinking Randolph was pretty happy with rolling 4 lines & 3 sets of D against a top 5 team. He has a deep skilled team that works hard. Figure out things in their own end and East could be a lot of fun to watch come February.
Yeah, my comment was just to note that Blaine didn't really tire or wear down. Over the course of a long season, I think it's the best approach for developing this team, and agree they seem to be going in the right direction. (Not that I saw any of the earlier losses, but there's no way they would have lost those games if they'd played the way they did today.)
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Karl , I take it you see at least the potential for Hounds to stay close i.e. one goal games with Rapids , EP, and other upcoming top team contests in Jan? Can captains continue to overcome whatever morale issues hit them in Dec, that's not just the coaches job.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

WestMetro wrote:Karl , I take it you see at least the potential for Hounds to stay close i.e. one goal games with Rapids , EP, and other upcoming top team contests in Jan? Can captains continue to overcome whatever morale issues hit them in Dec, that's not just the coaches job.
Yes. If they play the way they did yesterday, I wouldn't be at all shocked to see them beat Rapids and at least give EP a tight one. And yes, when I talk about the need for leadership, I'm talking about players, not coaches.

First things first, though...Denfeld tomorrow night. East should dominate play, but they've clearly proven vulnerable to upset-minded local rivals this year, and if Alander gets hot, it could get interesting.
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

northwoods oldtimer wrote:This will be East coming out party for the turn around to the season. 4-3 win. Good match up.
Maybe next week Karl.
:wink: