Duluth East vs. Duluth Marshall -- 12/16/15 @ Amsoil Arena

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who Takes the first win after 16 years

Hounds
65%
Toppers
35%

Total votes: 17

GPGT

Duluth East vs. Duluth Marshall -- 12/16/15 @ Amsoil Arena

Post by GPGT »

Should be an interesting matchup regardless of records just for the fact it's the first time these two teams have played since 1999.

WHo ya got in this one??
Usthockey13

Re: Duluth East vs. Duluth Marshall -- 12/16/15 @ Amsoil Are

Post by Usthockey13 »

GPGT wrote:Should be an interesting matchup regardless of records just for the fact it's the first time these two teams have played since 1999.

WHo ya got in this one??
Hounds 5-1
GPGT

Post by GPGT »

Well with the hounds falling off the map as of late, this should make for an interesting game.. I'll still take East, 3-2 in this one
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

How many games has Marshall had all their players back? It was originally going to be video streamed but one of the schools denied them.

Audio is available on 921thefan.com or listen to this station via the iheart radio app on your mobile device.
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine
hockeyfan2612

Post by hockeyfan2612 »

5-3 Hounds
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

This is a game East should easily win, Marshall has nothing more than a bunch of 4th line duster/benders. East 8-0.
Usthockey13

Post by Usthockey13 »

TheHockeyDJ wrote:This is a game East should easily win, Marshall has nothing more than a bunch of 4th line duster/benders. East 8-0.
reverse psychology there DJ?
gitter

Post by gitter »

TheHockeyDJ wrote:East should easily win.
Where is that 'easily' kid/guy....he was a treat.
HSPuckFan

Post by HSPuckFan »

Will this game be streamed anywhere?Would love to be able to watch it.
Go Zephyrs
GPGT

Post by GPGT »

HSPuckFan wrote:Will this game be streamed anywhere?Would love to be able to watch it.
I'm assuming not... Easts athletic department isn't a fan of streaming games
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

As I recall in the past some people criticized East for avoiding Marshall. How long has it been since the two played one another? Anyone know what led to the change this season?
Traxler

Post by Traxler »

MNHockeyFan wrote:As I recall in the past some people criticized East for avoiding Marshall. How long has it been since the two played one another? Anyone know what led to the change this season?
1999 was their last game I think. I assume the change is because Marshall opted up and East gained 3 games on their schedule without the Schwan Cup.
InYourFace09

Post by InYourFace09 »

MNHockeyFan wrote:As I recall in the past some people criticized East for avoiding Marshall. How long has it been since the two played one another? Anyone know what led to the change this season?
Marshall is now AA and East can't avoid playing them.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

Hey, someone who's older than me: anyone remember which year Randolph was the head coach at Cathedral? Was it 86-87? It can't have been later, because Cathedral became Marshall the next year, and he was definitely an assistant at Denfeld in 85-86, when they made their first Tourney trip. I guess it could have been before his Denfeld stint.

If it was 86-87, though, then he was the coach the last time Cathedral/Marshall beat East.

To find another East loss to Cathedral, you have to go back to 1979. Of course Cathedral did have some very strong teams in the 60s that beat East with some regularity. The all-time series (probably missing some 50s games) is at 48-15-2 East (12-0 vs. Marshall, 36-15-2 vs. Cathedral).

I believe Randolph was on the phone with Flaherty within a few hours after the opt-up announcement to schedule this game. Remember, he is a Cathedral alum. It was certainly something he wanted...with a precondition.
GPGT

Post by GPGT »

karl(east) wrote:Hey, someone who's older than me: anyone remember which year Randolph was the head coach at Cathedral? Was it 86-87? It can't have been later, because Cathedral became Marshall the next year, and he was definitely an assistant at Denfeld in 85-86, when they made their first Tourney trip. I guess it could have been before his Denfeld stint.

If it was 86-87, though, then he was the coach the last time Cathedral/Marshall beat East.

To find another East loss to Cathedral, you have to go back to 1979. Of course Cathedral did have some very strong teams in the 60s that beat East with some regularity. The all-time series (probably missing some 50s games) is at 48-15-2 East (12-0 vs. Marshall, 36-15-2 vs. Cathedral).

I believe Randolph was on the phone with Flaherty within a few hours after the opt-up announcement to schedule this game. Remember, he is a Cathedral alum. It was certainly something he wanted...with a precondition.
Maybe a touch off topic, but are Randolph and Flaherty cool with each other? Seems there's been jabs thrown over the years and didn't know if it was serious or not..

From what I hear Plante and Flaherty are friends , but not sure about Randolph..

That being said, is there any animosity between Randolph and Plante?
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

InYourFace09 wrote:
East hasn't avoided playing Class A Denfeld all along, so Marshall's previous Class A status can't be the reason why they hadn't played in more than a decade, until now. Must have been something more to it.
InYourFace09

Post by InYourFace09 »

MNHockeyFan wrote:
InYourFace09 wrote:
East hasn't avoided playing Class A Denfeld all along, so Marshall's previous Class A status can't be the reason why they hadn't played in more than a decade, until now. Must have been something more to it.
Denfeld is the only A team East plays. No Hermantown either for how many years, why is that also?

Wonder if Randolph thinks they should be playing with the big boys in AA and they refuse to schedule them until they do so.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

InYourFace09 wrote:Wonder if Randolph thinks they should be playing with the big boys in AA and they refuse to schedule them until they do so.
If I had to guess, the reason why he's always made an exception for Denfeld is that they haven't caused him concern about losing players. If it's a Class A/AA thing that would be pretty obvious as it pertains to Marshall (private school), and a little ironic if that reasoning also applies to Hermantown, a team that's coached by a guy who's been known to complain about a couple of schools in the Cities that HE thought should opt up. :roll:

Anyway, glad to see that East is playing Marshall once again...let the chips, or this case talented players, fall where they may! :wink:
Usthockey13

Post by Usthockey13 »

MNHockeyFan wrote:
InYourFace09 wrote:Wonder if Randolph thinks they should be playing with the big boys in AA and they refuse to schedule them until they do so.
If I had to guess, the reason why he's always made an exception for Denfeld is that they haven't caused him concern about losing players. If it's a Class A/AA thing that would be pretty obvious as it pertains to Marshall (private school), and a little ironic if that reasoning also applies to Hermantown, a team that's coached by a guy who's been known to complain about a couple of schools in the Cities that HE thought should opt up. :roll:

Anyway, glad to see that East is playing Marshall once again...let the chips, or this case talented players, fall where they may! :wink:
Mike has always stated in interviews that he would schedule Marshall and/or Hermantown once they go AA. As we see Marshall is on the schedule now that they are in 7AA. Only reason East plays Denfeld is the school district wants them to play.
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

How many fans are expected for this game?
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Usthockey13 wrote:Mike has always stated in interviews that he would schedule Marshall and/or Hermantown once they go AA. As we see Marshall is on the schedule now that they are in 7AA. Only reason East plays Denfeld is the school district wants them to play.
OK, that makes sense, thanks.
Usthockey13

Post by Usthockey13 »

TheHockeyDJ wrote:How many fans are expected for this game?
Well with the weather down here might hold some people back but i would still only expect maybe 2500? I know theyve always said if East would play Marshall they could fill Amsoil. You can see a quote from Randolph on Louie St George's twitter account about it..
hadenuf

Post by hadenuf »

80 IF ALL THE PARENTS ARE IN TOWN. :lol:
HILARY2016

Post by HILARY2016 »

hadenuf wrote:

80 IF ALL THE PARENTS ARE IN TOWN. :lol:
41 of them with most their front teeth

Duluth East can name the score in this one. I think they will pickup 10-1
GPGT

Post by GPGT »

Wow. There's gotta be about 38 people here. What an atmosphere!!! This could have been played as MARS and been half full. :D