Minnesota Hockey Magazine Preseason AA Top 10

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

Have officially found someone to join Chris Dilks in the clueless dept.

Follow the Puck rankings:

http://www.minnesota-high-school-hockey.blogspot.com/

Edina at 10?!? East at 1! LN at 7, Stillwater top 5, Farmington ahead of LN and Edina.

Stick to X box.
HornetsFan

Post by HornetsFan »

Sats81 wrote:Have officially found someone to join Chris Dilks in the clueless dept.

Edina at 10?!? East at 1! LN at 7, Stillwater top 5, Farmington ahead of LN and Edina.

Stick to X box.
I needed a good laugh this morning!
TheMayor

Post by TheMayor »

Sats81 wrote:Have officially found someone to join Chris Dilks in the clueless dept.

Edina at 10?!? Stick to X box.
Well, their 4 best forwards and their best D (Whopper's kid notwithstanding), played on a SW Elite team that went 5-15-1. Just sayin'. I suppose it could have been coaching.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

TheMayor wrote:

Well, their 4 best forwards and their best D (Whopper's kid notwithstanding), played on a SW Elite team that went 5-15-1. Just sayin'. I suppose it could have been coaching.
Hornets are and will be top 3 in state.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

FTP

1 EDEN PRAIRIE
2 DULUTH EAST
3 BLAINE
4 GRAND RAPIDS
5 STILLWATER
6 FARMINGTON
7 LAKEVILLE NORTH
8 ELK RIVER/ZIMMERMAN
9 BENILDE-ST. MARGARET'S
10 EDINA
11 WAYZATA
12 HOLY FAMILY CATHOLIC
13 HILL-MURRAY
14 PRIOR LAKE
15 ST. THOMAS ACADEMY
16 BEMIDJI
17 ST. MICHAEL-ALBERTVILLE
18 MAPLE GROVE
19 MINNETONKA
20 MOUNDS VIEW
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Follow the PUck
CLASS A PRESEASON TOP 20
1 HERMANTOWN
2 BRECK SCHOOL
3 ST. PAUL ACADEMY
4 ST. CLOUD APOLLO
5 MAHTOMEDI
6 HIBBING/CHISHOLM
7 ST. CLOUD CATHEDRAL
8 THIEF RIVER FALLS
9 EAST GRAND FORKS
10 LUVERNE
11 DELANO
12 FERGUS FALLS
13 ST. PAUL JOHNSON
14 NEW PRAGUE
15 BLAKE SCHOOL
16 DETROIT LAKES
17 SARTELL-ST. STEPHEN
18 WARROAD
19 ORONO
20 NORTHFIELD
edgeless2

Post by edgeless2 »

Sats81 wrote:
TheMayor wrote:

That's bold looking at rosters just on paper. BSM seems the favorite to come out of 6aa. But I suppose it's all heresay until the games get rolling Edina HF will be a nice early measuring stick for both squads. Just to second your thought Freddy takes nice pix. His writing is fairly unreadable.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

edgeless2 wrote:
Sats81 wrote:
TheMayor wrote: Well, their 4 best forwards and their best D (Whopper's kid notwithstanding), played on a SW Elite team that went 5-15-1. Just sayin'. I suppose it could have been coaching.
That's bold looking at rosters just on paper. BSM seems the favorite to come out of 6aa. But I suppose it's all heresay until the games get rolling Edina HF will be a nice early measuring stick for both squads. Just to second your thought Freddy takes nice pix. His writing is fairly unreadable.
I am the last thing from being an Edina fan. However, I do have great respect for them and their program. I don't think its bold at all to say they will be top 3....and I don't think its bold to assume they are a top 5 AA team in MN for at least the next decade. History will say same.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

If you look around on the various threads, there are now at least a dozen posters, including the "professional" and "amateurs" like me who have now posted their top 10's or in many cases top 15's or 20's

Just sticking with the top 10 for a moment. There seems to be almost (but not complete) universal consensus that BL DE EP ED GR HM LVN all belong in the top 10. That accounts for 7 of the 10 slots. There are many differing orders of these top 7. Including a couple different on #1. All this indicating a fair amount of parity in this top 7 group.

Beyond those 7, there are a lot of names within 8 to 15. Many more than the available 8 slots. And not much of consensus on ordering. So lots of parity in that group. Some of whom could conceivably break into top 7. And some of the 16-20s could breakout and go higher.

In terms of Doug's FTP list, he always seems to want to spark conversation. Funny and coincidentally, one of the first games I have on my list to watch this season after the Turkey Trot is Farmington at Braemar on Nov 24th 7 pm. Reasons: I am very curious about Farmington this year , with their several elite stars, both goalscorers and D. Secondly, Edina big names did not exactly perform to expectation during the elite season and whoever is in net will be first varsity experience.

Another early season game to watch will be SW at LVN Ames on Dec 1st at 7 pm. LVN talent all outperformed during Elite season. SW Elite talent met or exceeded, despite many that said several were undeserving.. SW definitely gets the goaltending nod with Benson.
Last edited by WestMetro on Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

WestMetro wrote:If you look around on the various threads, there are now at least a dozen posters, including the "professional" and "amateurs" like me who have now posted their top 10's or in many cases top 15's or 20's

Just sticking with the top 10 for a moment. There seems to be almost (but not complete) universal consensus that BL DE EP ED GR HM LVN all belong in the top 10. That accounts for 7 of the 10 slots. There are many differing orders of these top 7. Including a couple different on #1. All this indicating a fair amount of parity in this top 7 group.

Beyond those 7, there are a lot of names within 8 to 15. Many more than the available 8 slots. And not much of consensus on ordering. So lots of parity in that group. Some of whom could conceivably break into top 7. And some of the 16-20s could breakout and go higher.

In terms of Doug's FTP list, he always seems to want to spark conversation. Funny and coincidentally, one of the first games I have on my list to watch this season after the Turkey Trot is Farmington at Braemar on Nov 24th 7 pm. Reasons: I am very curious about Farmington this year , with their several elite stars, both goalscorers and D. Secondly, Edina big names did not exactly perform to expectation during the elite season and whoever is in net will be first varsity experience.

Another early season game to watch will be SW at LVN Ames on Dec 8. LVN talent all outperformed during Elite season. SW Elite talent met or exceeded, despite many that said several were undeserving.. SW definitely gets the goaltending nod with Benson.
The issue I have with "Doug" or FTP is he has no real rhyme or reason on how/why he ranks teams. He goes off of twitter/scores and some very meaningless stats instead of actually having his OWN opinion. Doubtful he watches many if ANY games other than the state tourney. His opinion is irrelevant to me. Much like Chris Dilks.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

One thing about Doug: he has listed out the top 5 players on each team, so a person can digest all the names and think about the comparisons to other team's kids. And also remember how they did last year or in Bantams or Elites or Nationals. ( I like to list these out myself in my rankings, along with goaltender. ) However, this doesnt tell anything beyond the top 5 kids. And like MinnScout said when he made a very bold out of consensus prediction: he doesnt believe Blaine has much beyond their top 5 names.

Since Doug moved to Sioux Falls(I think?), doubt if he has much chance to see many games in person, but probably wired up pretty good on LiveStreams.
Last edited by WestMetro on Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

WestMetro wrote:One thing about Doug: he has listed out the top 5 players on each team, so a person can digest all the names and think about the comparisons to other team's kids. And also remember how they did last year or in Bantams or Elites or Nationals. ( I like to list these out myself in my rankings, along with goaltender. ) However, this doesnt tell anything beyond the top 5 kids. And like MinnScout said when he made a very bold out of consensus prediction: he doesnt believe Blaine has much beyond their top 5 names.

Since Doug moved to Sioux Falls(I think?), doubt if he has much chance to see many games in person, but probably wired up pretty good on LiveStreams. (At the rate its going, many/most of the MSHSL stars are ending up in Omaha anyway so he see them then!)
I think with Tufte and Notreman Blaine is a force to be reckoned with. Great coach too. They are a legit top 10 squad in my mind
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Agree with that, and dont forget Kallestad and Gerads in goal, both 91% last year

Blaine is at Edina Dec 5, another good one to see but I have conflict
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

WestMetro wrote:Agree with that, and dont forget Kallestad and Gerads in goal, both 91% last year

west metro-that should be good. Tufte is real deal. Notreman should be committing soon I would assume....LN GR at ames? will you be there?
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Yes , at Ames on the 12th , Ive got noon start time marked down, dont know if thats still accurate or not.

I will try to to find a place in the small limited neutral seating section, fully expecting I might have Mrs. Johnson next to me on the right and Mrs. Stejskal on the left. Should be interesting.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

WestMetro wrote:Yes , at Ames on the 12th , Ive got noon start time marked down, dont know if thats still accurate or not.

I will try to to find a place in the small limited neutral seating section, fully expecting I might have Mrs. Johnson next to me on the right and Mrs. Stejskal on the left. Should be interesting.
And DJ on your lap?
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

elliott70 wrote:
WestMetro wrote:Yes , at Ames on the 12th , Ive got noon start time marked down, dont know if thats still accurate or not.

And DJ on your lap?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
bsmguy

Post by bsmguy »

We will have a good idea of whether the BSM Red Knights belong in the Top 10 pretty soon. They scrimmage East and Rapids this weekend, then play real games next weekend against Marshall and Rapids, after opening Tuesday against STMA. All are on the road, so it will be a tough week. If successful, BSM will have earned its Top 10 spot (for now).
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Yes, Ive got the RK ranked 8 myself, but doesnt seem to be universal consensus. After those games you mention, they go to Aldrich on Dec 3, Im still thinking about that one. But I will have to try to head for Aldrich couple times in January, and I can always see BSM over here in the West Metro.
BodyShots

Post by BodyShots »

100percenteffort wrote:
Sats81 wrote:
WestMetro wrote:Here is LPH AA ranking:

http://www.letsplayhockey.com/teams/hig ... kings.html
These seem a little more accurate, although I have a really difficult time getting my head around a lot of these polls having Wayzata in top 10. GB any thoughts?
Why should EP be ranked Pre season #1? They haven't played a game yet this year. Doesn't LN get the respect to be the pre season #1 until they at least play their first game? After that let the chips fall where they may. EP essentially has the same team as last year and granted they have two of the top talents in the state, but their time will come at #1 if it is earned.
I'm sorry, but a ranking done now is based on this years team, not last years! Your comment is ranked #1 on my list for this year! :P
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

I corrected the date for SW at LVN. For some reason I had Dec 8 on my own schedule. Hub shows Dec 1, 7 pm.
edgeless2

Post by edgeless2 »

Sats81 wrote:
WestMetro wrote:Agree with that, and dont forget Kallestad and Gerads in goal, both 91% last year

west metro-that should be good. Tufte is real deal. Notreman should be committing soon I would assume....LN GR at ames? will you be there?
LN GR should be a great matchup. I like the fact that East travels down and plays the best every year. What's the deal with LN scheduling one 2aa team and no 6aa teams? Maybe they will see them in tournaments? Is LN doing Schwan cup? Any others?
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

edgeless2 wrote:
Sats81 wrote:

LN GR should be a great matchup. I like the fact that East travels down and plays the best every year. What's the deal with LN scheduling one 2aa team and no 6aa teams? Maybe they will see them in tournaments? Is LN doing Schwan cup? Any others?
They are afraid of 6AA teams. They are in sports authority classic at BSM like they are annually.
edgeless2

Post by edgeless2 »

Sats81 wrote:
edgeless2 wrote:
Sats81 wrote: west metro-that should be good. Tufte is real deal. Notreman should be committing soon I would assume....LN GR at ames? will you be there?
They are afraid of 6AA teams. They are in sports authority classic at BSM like they are annually.
Sarcasm aside it would be nice to see them play Edina Ep Wayzata Tonka Blaine HM, in regular season. it's not like it's a huge drive.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

edgeless2 wrote:
Sats81 wrote:
edgeless2 wrote: LN GR should be a great matchup. I like the fact that East travels down and plays the best every year. What's the deal with LN scheduling one 2aa team and no 6aa teams? Maybe they will see them in tournaments? Is LN doing Schwan cup? Any others?
Sarcasm aside it would be nice to see them play Edina Ep Wayzata Tonka Blaine HM, in regular season. it's not like it's a huge drive.
Played Edina last year in reg season, year before at state. EP last 2 years at state, scrimmaged them last year. Wayzata last 2 years in holiday tourney. Blaine in holiday tourney 2 years ago, HM last 2 years reg season and last year at state. Not like they are dodging anyone. One of toughest non conf schedules in MN last few years. Maybe said schools didnt want to play them edgeless22 ?