HS AA/A Pre-Season Top 10

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Wblhcky2424

Post by Wblhcky2424 »

Drop WBL out of the top 20, top returning forward Dylan Gast will miss the season due to a torn ACL
Last edited by Wblhcky2424 on Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
GoldenBear69

Post by GoldenBear69 »

Bemidji only lost 3 starters, but they have BIG holes to fill. 1) Leading scorer and emotional leader (who will step it up and carry the load?); 2) #2 D-man and strong leader (lack depth at D); and 3)starting goalie...and his backup (inexperienced between the pipes)

Going into the season, goaltending will be the biggest question mark. Can one of last year's JV goalies fill that void? Or is there a kid coming up from bantam?
stromboli

Post by stromboli »

Class A
Tony’s List:
1. Hermantown
2. EGF
3. Luverne
4. St. Cloud Apollo
5. Delano
6. Breck
7. SPA
8. St. Cloud Cathedral
9. Orono
10. Mahtomedi

Maybe missing: New Ulm, Kennedy, Mankato West

Thoughts?

Based on consistency alone, Hermantown is the favorite until someone proves otherwise.

EGF needs to fill too many holes to be ranked #2 to start the season. Although they return Tweeten and Loven, they lost five of their top seven scores, including Dixon Bowen, and both senior goaltenders. Probably a step down from the last few years’ success, and are more of a spoiler team given that their returners know how to win come playoff time. May not even be the best in section 8. The Prowlers and Lakers (Jon Richards, F) should both be in the mix.

Luverne needs to prove they can play against top-ten teams away from home. They are not a top-five team, and may not be a top-ten team until they prove they can. They are, however, a great example of an up and coming program built on community support, and have a few undeniable talents, like Nelson.

Saint Cloud Apollo like a few others on this list only lost a couple of players. They were one of last year’s best overall defensive teams, as highlighted by last year's state playoff matchup in a 1-0 win over Breck in overtime. They return one of the state’s most experienced goaltenders, in Althaus, and will be led again by Breidenbach and Lucia (Don’s nephew). Apollo may need to get by one of this year's dark horse teams to get out of sections. (I’m interested in what Fergus Falls will look like this year. Anyone with knowledge?)

Like EGF, Delano probably has too many holes to fill to be a pre-season top-five pick, IMO, and are a bit of an unkown commodity. They return enough scoring punch from last year that it will be interesting to see if they can fill the holes left by last year’s seniors -- most notably on the backend with the loss of several big senior D, and no returning goalies. (Anyone with some insight on this team? I’m assuming Meyers is returning?)

Breck lost only three starters from last year’s squad. Should be a better scoring team this year and are led again by Chase Ellingson, who is among the scoring leaders in Elite League, along with seniors Will Blake and Tyler Scott. Return one of the better D cores with Weigel, Paulson, and Strom Bros. Untested goaltending, but the same could have been said last year, with Stephen Headrick gonig on to be a Brimsek finalist.

Saint Paul Academy only lost a couple of players. Return some definite scoring punch with the McCabe Bros, Jallen and Co. Also return one of last year’s break-out freshman goalies in Andy Beran. Will need to prove they can beat Mahtomedi but should be ready for the challenge by sections. The only knock on this team, if there is one, is the lack of games against tougher AA competition.

St. Cloud Cathedral like others returns most of its team from last year, has a new coach, and an up and coming goalie in Keegan Karki (potential NDTP recruit). Despite a nice run at the end of last year, Cathedral was barely over a .500 team last year and needs to improve to compete in section 6, which looks to be another dogfight, and to have a legitimate shot at getting past Apollo.

Orono is not a top ten team -- lost nearly all of their top scorers and goaltender Jon Flackne. A rebuilding year.

Mahtomedi: Even without Jack Becker and losing a few more seniors than some others on this list, the Zephyrs should be an experienced, physical squad. They return experienced goaltending, and they usually play enough strong AA teams to be battle tested. Those outside of the section might be underestimating this team, but I gaurantee SPA won’t, and it should be a great matchup.

My pre-season top 5:

1) Hermantown
2 -5) Alphabetical: Apollo, Breck, Mahtomedi, and SPA should all be in the mix
blueblood

Class A

Post by blueblood »

I nominate Stromboli for this year's Class A weekly rankings. A very solid analysis of several top teams.
ted2you

Class A

Post by ted2you »

I love Class A hockey:

The focus on this board is almost exclusively AA Hockey and sometimes I get annoyed by that. While I'm not going to pretend that there is parity between AA and A schools, I would suggest that the top 4-5 Class A teams can play with the elite teams in the state each year.

Things I like: At the highest level they play great hockey. There are some really good hockey players that come out of it. While it might be considered heresy, I would suggest that the 2013-14 EGF team could have beaten the Class A Champion Edina had they met.

There are some great team stories. Most teams will have a run for a while and then move back to the pack.

It rewards small schools that have a strong program.

You can watch certain programs grow and develop (see Delano, ) to name a couple.

There is a lot of ebb and flow to their seasons due to less depth.

Things I find less appealing.

Lack of regional competitive balance. I would suggest that it is the opposite of AA where due to enrollment numbers northern schools are at a distinct disadvantage. In A, northern teams and private metro schools dominate. You could argue the second best teams from the last two years were Warroad (lost to EFG in OT) and TRF (lost to EGF in 2 OT's).

complete mismatches.

Same programs dominate year after year

State tournament field can be guessed in December.

While somewhat true with AA, Class A is more exaggerated that Statistics don't mean much and depend on more on who you play.

I just wanted to get my 2 cents worth in

Hermantown always will be the favorite.

EGF will be lucky to get out of section 8 and even with Tweten and Loven I don't see them having the horses to do much damage if they get to the dance.

TRF, Mahtomedi, and Breck are going to be really good.

The Privates will likely return to the top of the hill.

It would be a brutal twist of irony if Breck returns to the top of Class A and knocks Hermantown out again. Plante would really go crazy then.
green4

Re: Class A

Post by green4 »

ted2you wrote:

While it might be considered heresy, I would suggest that the 2013-14 EGF team could have beaten the Class A Champion Edina had they met.
I have seen people say this about 2013 when St. Thomas won A and Edina won AA. I think I have seen you say this before, and I have let it go, but there is not much action on the board right now so I will argue for the sake of a good convo.

It is very possible that EGF could have won that game with their physical and defensive style, in reality, anybody can beat anybody. But, I do believe Edina would have been heavy favorites if they played that game.
From that team they already have 8 who are playing D1 or are committed to play D1. I would expect 1 or 2 more to go D1 by the end.
3 of them have been drafted already, 2 more are expected to go this year, one being a potential 1st round pick.
On top of that, one of the players not drafted has gone down as one of the greatest Hornet hockey players of all time.

If you look at their results at the end of the year, they were peaking right when you want to. Going undefeated in the toughest conference in the state, winning 13 straight to end the year, and outscoring opponents in the state tournament 17-4.
If you saw that championship game, they made a very, very good team look pretty disorganized and out of place.
By the end of the season that team was scary good.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Back to the thread topic, Grahams announcement that he is staying at Fargo further muddies the top 10 rankings
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

Burnsville will have some really nice players, but depth might keep them from cracking the rankings.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

MrBoDangles wrote:Burnsville will have some really nice players, but depth might keep them from cracking the rankings.
Such as?
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

I am modifying my top 10 predictions based on XO latest Early Depart list, and also based on Elite League play to date.

Top 5
-------

No obvious favorite within this group, too close to call at this point. So I am just listing them in alpha order for the time being. I could make a credible case for each of them being # 1 or not being #1. To flip it around, I would have a hard time making a case why any of them shouldnt be in top 5. No doubt, others will disagree, go ahead and take your shots.

Top 5 shown in alpha order below, with key personnel.

DE: Altman, Spencer, Dow, Donovan, Peterson, Goalie: Meierhoff?

ED:Dornbach,Copeland, Sheerer, Phillips, Walker, Johnson Goalie:DeGrood?

EP: Middlestadt, Leivermann, Lawrence, Sullivan, Schoo, Goalie Durocher

HM: Ranello, Staum, Reffenberger, , Mills, Goalie: Begley

LVN: Poehling , Enebek, Johnson, Pehrson, Schneider, Klans Goalie Foss?

( Duluth East has moved up from lower top 10 to upper top 10 , compared to my earlier predictions. This is based on their Elite League talent performance, recent NHL CS assessments, as well as the Eagan tournament last summer.)

Next 5, and key personnel
---------

6 Grand Rapids-Mattson, Adams, Bischoff, McGlaughlin, Hain, Goalie: Skejskel

7 Prior Lake- Clemens, Denman, Fellows, Harris, Gackle, Hansen, , Goalie: Scites

8 BSM---Austin,Calengor, Gleekel, Heimbold,Risteau,Mayer,Moore, Goalie Bischel

9 Stillwater Cates, Cates, Manning,Sagissor, Bjugstad Goalie: Benson

10 STA--- Jerry, Smallidge, Stucker,Reim , Goalie: Kelly?

(I moved Stillwater into top 10 compared to my earlier predictions. I dropped Blaine out, based on Tufte apparently staying in Fargo)
hockeyboy22

Post by hockeyboy22 »

Graham is still coming back I have heard . I do not know where that news broke.
green4

Post by green4 »

hockeyboy22 wrote:Graham is still coming back I have heard . I do not know where that news broke.
Comes from this article, stated in the last paragraph

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/college ... ff-jackson
HILARY2016

Post by HILARY2016 »

I am bumping South into 10th spot. A addition from a sophomore Michigan tier 1 and now high school openroll from Farmington will provide depth
hockeyboy22

Post by hockeyboy22 »

[quote="green4"][quote="hockeyboy22"]Graham is still coming back I have heard . I do not know where that news broke.[/quote]

Comes from this article, stated in the last paragraph

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/college ... ff-jackson[/quote]

I heard that just because he is up there for the fall everyone assumed he is not coming back. I believe I have heard he is coming back which makes EP the clear cut favorite to win state.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Yes , if he does come back then EP is presumptive No. 1, with DE ,ED, HM,LVN about equal for the preseason 2 to 5 rankings.
twolinepass

Post by twolinepass »

WestMetro wrote:Yes , if he does come back then EP is presumptive No. 1, with DE ,ED, HM,LVN about equal for the preseason 2 to 5 rankings.
Isn't concrete that he's leaving yet.
Defensive Zone

Post by Defensive Zone »

HILARY2016 wrote:I am bumping South into 10th spot. A addition from a sophomore Michigan tier 1 and now high school openroll from Farmington will provide depth
I know of the player from Michigan (defenseman), but who would be the player from Farmington?
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

HILARY2016 wrote:I am bumping South into 10th spot. A addition from a sophomore Michigan tier 1 and now high school openroll from Farmington will provide depth
Provide depth? :roll:
HsHockey1975

Post by HsHockey1975 »

GoldenBear69 wrote:Bemidji only lost 3 starters, but they have BIG holes to fill. 1) Leading scorer and emotional leader (who will step it up and carry the load?); 2) #2 D-man and strong leader (lack depth at D); and 3)starting goalie...and his backup (inexperienced between the pipes)

Going into the season, goaltending will be the biggest question mark. Can one of last year's JV goalies fill that void? Or is there a kid coming up from bantam?
Likely to take on the scoring load this year for the Lumberjacks will be either junior Brady Tatro or senior Jack Johnson, both play in the elite league and put up good numbers last year. At defense they have one of the best in the state in Nick Leitner and a very good sophomore, Chase Hartje. Goaltending will be the biggest question for them, young and will not have any varsity experience
norcon

Post by norcon »

WestMetro wrote:I am modifying my top 10 predictions based on XO latest Early Depart list, and also based on Elite League play to date.

Top 5
-------

No obvious favorite within this group, too close to call at this point. So I am just listing them in alpha order for the time being. I could make a credible case for each of them being # 1 or not being #1. To flip it around, I would have a hard time making a case why any of them shouldnt be in top 5. No doubt, others will disagree, go ahead and take your shots.

Top 5 shown in alpha order below, with key personnel.

DE: Altman, Spencer, Dow, Donovan, Peterson, Goalie: Meierhoff?

ED:Dornbach,Copeland, Sheerer, Phillips, Walker, Johnson Goalie:DeGrood?

EP: Middlestadt, Leivermann, Lawrence, Sullivan, Schoo, Goalie Durocher

HM: Ranello, Staum, Reffenberger, , Mills, Goalie: Begley

LVN: Poehling , Enebek, Johnson, Pehrson, Schneider, Klans Goalie Foss?

( Duluth East has moved up from lower top 10 to upper top 10 , compared to my earlier predictions. This is based on their Elite League talent performance, recent NHL CS assessments, as well as the Eagan tournament last summer.)

Next 5, and key personnel
---------

6 Grand Rapids-Mattson, Adams, Bischoff, McGlaughlin, Hain, Goalie: Skejskel

7 Prior Lake- Clemens, Denman, Fellows, Harris, Gackle, Hansen, , Goalie: Scites

8 BSM---Austin,Calengor, Gleekel, Heimbold,Risteau,Mayer,Moore, Goalie Bischel

9 Stillwater Cates, Cates, Manning,Sagissor, Bjugstad Goalie: Benson

10 STA--- Jerry, Smallidge, Stucker,Reim , Goalie: Kelly?

(I moved Stillwater into top 10 compared to my earlier predictions. I dropped Blaine out, based on Tufte apparently staying in Fargo)
Rapids also has John Stampohar and Micah Miller in the Elite League as back-ups.
Nuts&Bolts

Post by Nuts&Bolts »

That's great. Stillwater had most of there roster on a team. And how about Prior Lake and Edina? Team SW sure struggled. And I just don't see HM being a top 5 team.
YouthHockeyHub

Post by YouthHockeyHub »

Does anyone want to throw Blaine into the top 10 mix, per FTP, Riley Tufte is headed back to Blaine. I would have to say the Bengals are now a firm T10 team.

The reports on Graham or all over the board in Fargo/EP:

Notre Dame wants him to stay in Fargo/Play a year of Juniors
Mom is EP Team Manager (why else would she be that unless he was coming back).

I will be at EPCC next Monday to verify his whereabouts before my final Pre-season gets published. For HS Hockey sake, I hope the result is different than when I went to Braemar last year and didn't find Bellows or Zuhlsdorf.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

Yes, Blaine is top ten.

Barring a last second change, Graham should be back.

My preseason rankings come out next Wednesday. (Yikes, I need to get to work.)
kniven

Post by kniven »

karl(east) wrote:Yes, Blaine is top ten.

Barring a last second change, Graham should be back.

My preseason rankings come out next Wednesday. (Yikes, I need to get to work.)
Honestly one of the best single reads of the year for me! #countingthedays
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Yes, if Tufte returns then Blaine moves back up to 9 or 10. That's where I had them ranked b4 it looked like Riley was gone for good