Grand Rapids Coaching Opening

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

alcloseshaver

Grand Rapids Coaching Opening

Post by alcloseshaver »

Twitter reporting Rothstein has stepped down at Rapids.
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

Wasn't expecting that. Lots of candidates to discuss I'm sure. Trent Klatt comes to mind for me.
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

Isn't Klatt a full time scout for the Islanders? If so I can't see him doing the Head HS gig? I would bring back Buzz, one year as head coach and a state championship, tough to be that!
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

That was certainly abrupt. Details, anyone?
north_bear

Post by north_bear »

Totally caught off guard by this announcement today. He will be a guest on the local radio station tomorrow morning, KOZY 1320 at 930. I think some details will be revealed then.

I appreciated his time as head coach. Really thought he was in it for the long haul though. But if he isn't into it or not 100% dedicated then it's best for everyone to find someone else. Lots of good options in the area, excited to see who they pick.
Thunderhawk Fanatic!!
Edinahopkins

Post by Edinahopkins »

Thank God GR hockey is saved
hadenuf

Post by hadenuf »

I'm sure the parents had a part in this. Lots of grumbling after the season from the experts, I mean parents. I wouldn't want to deal with them either next year. Thanks for your time John!
goaline

Post by goaline »

Edinahopkins wrote:Thank God GR hockey is saved
Someone with the chops of Edinahopkins can do the saving -- I'm sure the built in public scrutiny is right in his wheelhouse.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

A few notes on Rothstein's departure: http://apatientcycle.com/2015/04/12/exi ... rothstein/
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

In reality, I don't see too many younger guys getting into HS coaching for the long haul. Many are not going into education, other top candidates are going the junior route if they want to make a career of it. I can't think of a good young coach who is a teacher that has come along recently? I maybe missing something, but most hires seem to be 3-5 years and out.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

mulefarm wrote:In reality, I don't see too many younger guys getting into HS coaching for the long haul. Many are not going into education, other top candidates are going the junior route if they want to make a career of it. I can't think of a good young coach who is a teacher that has come along recently? I maybe missing something, but most hires seem to be 3-5 years and out.
Yes and no. There are certainly more options now for coaches, and many ways to make a living strictly in hockey that weren't available 20 years ago. But HS coaching seems to offer a certain level of stability that some people will always be drawn to. People like Curt Giles and Mike Randolph have certainly had opportunities to go elsewhere, but they've stuck with it because they're happy with where they are.

It's also hard to tell if young guys will stick around, since by the time we know if they will or not, they're not exactly young anymore. There are a lot of fairly young HS coaches out there, and I'm guessing at least some of them are in it for the long haul. This is probably even more true in small northern towns...younger people who live there are usually there for a reason. If they wanted out, they'd be gone by now.
DrGaf

Post by DrGaf »

karl(east) wrote:
mulefarm wrote:In reality, I don't see too many younger guys getting into HS coaching for the long haul. Many are not going into education, other top candidates are going the junior route if they want to make a career of it. I can't think of a good young coach who is a teacher that has come along recently? I maybe missing something, but most hires seem to be 3-5 years and out.
Yes and no. There are certainly more options now for coaches, and many ways to make a living strictly in hockey that weren't available 20 years ago. But HS coaching seems to offer a certain level of stability that some people will always be drawn to. People like Curt Giles and Mike Randolph have certainly had opportunities to go elsewhere, but they've stuck with it because they're happy with where they are.

It's also hard to tell if young guys will stick around, since by the time we know if they will or not, they're not exactly young anymore. There are a lot of fairly young HS coaches out there, and I'm guessing at least some of them are in it for the long haul. This is probably even more true in small northern towns...younger people who live there are usually there for a reason. If they wanted out, they'd be gone by now.
Giles I know ... Who is Randolph?
Sorry, fresh out, Don't Really Give Any.
MWS coach

Post by MWS coach »

DrGaf wrote:
karl(east) wrote:

I think he meant Rudolph??
DrGaf

Post by DrGaf »

MWS coach wrote:
DrGaf wrote:
karl(east) wrote: Yes and no. There are certainly more options now for coaches, and many ways to make a living strictly in hockey that weren't available 20 years ago. But HS coaching seems to offer a certain level of stability that some people will always be drawn to. People like Curt Giles and Mike Randolph have certainly had opportunities to go elsewhere, but they've stuck with it because they're happy with where they are.

Dunno ... must be some guy from Duluth or something. ????
Sorry, fresh out, Don't Really Give Any.
Wet Paint

Post by Wet Paint »

DrGaf wrote:
MWS coach wrote:
DrGaf wrote: Giles I know ... Who is Randolph?
I heard of a guy up there named Rudolph or something like that but he said that running a trap was something that he would never do in high school hockey so it can't be him.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

Wet Paint wrote:
DrGaf wrote:
MWS coach wrote: I think he meant Rudolph??
I heard of a guy up there named Rudolph or something like that but he said that running a trap was something that he would never do in high school hockey so it can't be him.
Yup, John Rudolph. Longtime DE baseball coach. He got a call from the Twins once, but was smart enough to stick with the Hounds. :mrgreen:
Immigrant Fan

Post by Immigrant Fan »

Rothstein kept the team competitive, always seemed composed on the bench, never did anything for which the community would be ashamed, and the players did not look like they ran amok. I assume he did well leading these young men in the right directions, so that is what is important. Thanks to him.

Tough to change coaches before such an apparently promising season, but I see from the article in the local paper, Coach Rothstein believes there are some good, local, young coaches who may be ready to step into the role. I hope the local administration is able to find the right skillset and personality to keep the program advancing.
Not born here...
...but, would hate to leave
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

Any indications on possible candidates?
boblee

Post by boblee »

Sats81 wrote:Any indications on possible candidates?
A pure guess, but the type of person Rothstein has described over and over again would fit Guy Clairmont Jr.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

boblee wrote:
A pure guess, but the type of person Rothstein has described over and over again would fit Guy Clairmont Jr.
So its Rothsteins choice as to who is going to succeed him? Or are you implying his input to administration will be taken strongly?
hadenuf

Post by hadenuf »

You obviously have not met the Grand Rapids Administration.
boblee

Post by boblee »

Sats81 wrote:
boblee wrote:
So its Rothsteins choice as to who is going to succeed him? Or are you implying his input to administration will be taken strongly?
I don't think I am saying either. I am just saying that Rothstein talked about the young coaches in Grand Rapids and Clairmont came to mind.
boblee

Re: Grand Rapids Coaching Opening

Post by boblee »

alcloseshaver wrote:Twitter reporting Rothstein has stepped down at Rapids.
I think this is funny. Twitter didn't report that Rothstein stepped down. GRHS Hockey Online reported it using Facebook & Twitter.
alcloseshaver

Re: Grand Rapids Coaching Opening

Post by alcloseshaver »

boblee wrote:
alcloseshaver wrote:Twitter reporting Rothstein has stepped down at Rapids.
I think this is funny. Twitter didn't report that Rothstein stepped down. GRHS Hockey Online reported it using Facebook & Twitter.
That didn't come right, Where did Mr. Twitter Play? :)
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

boblee wrote:
Sats81 wrote:
boblee wrote: A pure guess, but the type of person Rothstein has described over and over again would fit Guy Clairmont Jr.
I don't think I am saying either. I am just saying that Rothstein talked about the young coaches in Grand Rapids and Clairmont came to mind.
How about boblee?

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006