2015 Central Scouting Final Rankings

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

thespellchecker

2015 Central Scouting Final Rankings

Post by thespellchecker »

8-TIME weekly & 2-Time Season Pick Em Champ
Tron

Post by Tron »

Who is the highest MN born player in the draft?
The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One »

MSHSL
79 Jack Sadek - Lakeville North
110 Jake Jaremko - Elk River
114 Will Borgen - Moorhead
158 Lukas Jaycox - Warroad
164 Jack Becker - Mahtomedi
186 Jack Poehling - Lakeville North
191 Nick Poehling - Lakeville North
208 Jack McNeely - Lakeville North

Other Minnesotans
26 Paul Bittner - Portland-WHL
27 Brock Boeser - Waterloo-USHL
28 Tom Novak* - Waterloo-USHL (WI kid, Gopher recruit, played at St. Thomas Academy)
132 Matt Freytag - Tri-City-USHL
183 Karson Kuhlman - UMD
202 Ryan Zuhlsdorf - Sioux City-USHL
Last edited by The Exiled One on Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
green4

Post by green4 »

Tron wrote:Who is the highest MN born player in the draft?
Bittner-26th
Boeser-27th
Novak-28th (Novak is from River falls but played at STA)

I expect Boeser to go first of all these guys. I have seen some scouts such as Craig Button who has had him in the low teens, this one has him in the top 10
http://www.tsn.ca/craig-s-list-suspense ... 3-1.249965
notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT »

I personally expected more from the revered 97 birth year in Minnesota.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

Congrats to all 4 LN boys on the list. Great to see. All well deserving and hard workers.
warriors41

Post by warriors41 »

It looks like Jared Bethune dropped off the list completely. He was ranked 101 in the mid season rankings but I don't see his name on this one. It would appear going to the WHL didn't work out this time, unless I'm just missing something.
The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One »

warriors41 wrote:It looks like Jared Bethune dropped off the list completely. He was ranked 101 in the mid season rankings but I don't see his name on this one. It would appear going to the WHL didn't work out this time, unless I'm just missing something.
Alec Baer is also missing.

To be fair, the USHL has the same effect. Playing at higher levels will either showcase your talent or expose weaknesses. Jake Wahlin, Jason Krych, and Tye Ausmus are also missing from the lists.
Last edited by The Exiled One on Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
green4

Post by green4 »

The Exiled One wrote:
warriors41 wrote:It looks like Jared Bethune dropped off the list completely. He was ranked 101 in the mid season rankings but I don't see his name on this one. It would appear going to the WHL didn't work out this time, unless I'm just missing something.
Jesse Gabrielle and Alec Baer are also missing.

To be fair, the USHL has the same effect. Playing at higher levels will either showcase your talent or expose weaknesses. Jake Wahlin, Jason Krych, and Tye Ausmus are also missing from the lists.
Gabrielle is 73rd
The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One »

green4 wrote:Gabrielle is 73rd
Oops
JoltDelivered

Post by JoltDelivered »

notTONIGHT wrote:I personally expected more from the revered 97 birth year in Minnesota.
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this draft year the 2nd half 96's and first half 97's? This draft list isn't representative of the entire 97 birth year? Or am I thinking about that wrong?
"I find tinsel distracting"
The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One »

JoltDelivered wrote:
notTONIGHT wrote:I personally expected more from the revered 97 birth year in Minnesota.
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this draft year the 2nd half 96's and first half 97's? This draft list isn't representative of the entire 97 birth year? Or am I thinking about that wrong?
Birthdays between and including 9/16/96 and 9/15/97 are eligible for the first time. If they go undrafted, they will be eligible for the subsequent two drafts. The Poehling twins are in their second year of eligibility.
CreaseMonkey

Post by CreaseMonkey »

I overheard two scouts talking in Grand Rapids, and they felt it was a huge mistake to leave for the WHL. Said he exposed his game as pure North/South and it would bite him in the butt.

Maybe he can change that, but his window is a lot smaller without the NCAA option to extend his amateur status.

Would love to be a fly on the wall when one of his HS teammates possibly gets selected, and he does not.
warriors41

Post by warriors41 »

CreaseMonkey wrote:
I overheard two scouts talking in Grand Rapids, and they felt it was a huge mistake to leave for the WHL. Said he exposed his game as pure North/South and it would bite him in the butt.

Maybe he can change that, but his window is a lot smaller without the NCAA option to extend his amateur status.

Would love to be a fly on the wall when one of his HS teammates possibly gets selected, and he does not.
That's interesting.

There is an annual thread on this forum about if the better option is college and WHL and I think it largely depends on the circumstances. This year we see an example of how it can go right and how it can go wrong. Paul Bittner from Crookston is definitely in a better situation today than he would be if he stayed. Bethune probably hurt himself. There's always risks involved. Its probably best to keep the decision in the family, and not hire outside advisors for help.
warriors41

Post by warriors41 »

CreaseMonkey wrote:

That's interesting.

There is an annual thread on this forum about if the better option is college and WHL and I think it largely depends on the circumstances. This year we see an example of how it can go right and how it can go wrong. Paul Bittner from Crookston is definitely in a better situation today than he would be if he stayed. Bethune probably hurt himself. There's always risks involved. Its probably best to keep the decision in the family, and not hire outside advisors for help.
The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One »

warriors41 wrote: Paul Bittner from Crookston is definitely in a better situation today than he would be if he stayed.
Better than if he stayed at Crookston HS? Absolutely. The USHL probably would have been just as good though.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Green 4.

This is Malmquists 2nd year of eligibility?

Your thoughts on why he is not listed after his huge senior year?

If I recall right, last year he was in the 200 rank range, but then not drafted. He had a soft junior season scoring wise but led a development line, and also played a critical neutral zone checking role as part of their championship team.
Tron

Post by Tron »

Do politics play a roll in the NHL Draft?
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

Tron wrote:Do politics play a roll in the NHL Draft?
An easy two-word answer to your question: "Louie Nanne."
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Warrior, Elliott, Others....

You guys that know most about Bittner.......

Will we see him in a NHL uniform next fall , and how much will he be making in first year?
warriors41

Post by warriors41 »

WestMetro wrote:Warrior, Elliott, Others....

You guys that know most about Bittner.......

Will we see him in a NHL uniform next fall , and how much will he be making in first year?
I don't know a whole lot about Bittner actually. I just have a friend who coached in a summer league after Bittners freshman year and he said he didn't belong there, in a good way. My friend and his dad, who usually coach together, said he was by far the best on the ice regardless of age group. Sure enough, a few months later I think he left for the WHL.

I would doubt that we'd see him in the NHL next year though. I would think a team would give him.more time to develop. Maybe he'd go to the AHL for a year. But he does 71 points for Portland this year. Pretty impressive.
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

I don't think Bittner can play in the AHL for a couple of years. I think the agreement between the NHL and the CHL if a player does not make the NHL team they have to be sent back to their Jr team. Once they reach 20 they can play in the ahl. There are a few exceptions, for underage players that are not CHL players.
The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One »

mulefarm wrote:I don't think Bittner can play in the AHL for a couple of years. I think the agreement between the NHL and the CHL if a player does not make the NHL team they have to be sent back to their Jr team. Once they reach 20 they can play in the ahl. There are a few exceptions, for underage players that are not CHL players.
That's correct, and actually one of the primary reasons why the NCAA considers the CHL a pro league. It's not necessarily the stipend, it's that players in the league are under contract with the NHL.
green4

Post by green4 »

WestMetro wrote:Green 4.

If I recall right, last year he was in the 200 rank range, but then not drafted. He had a soft junior season scoring wise but led a development line, and also played a critical neutral zone checking role as part of their championship team.
Obviously I am not a pro scout so I can't tell you the exact reason why he is not listed. I would guess him returning to high school did not help his draft stock compared to him going to the USHL or something. His biggest knock is his size and with all the scouts who are skeptical of high school hockey, it does not end up in his favor.
This might seem odd to say, but I think playing for Edina compared to another high school team might have cost him a draft spot. Playing on such a deep team where he had the role of playing with younger, first year players and with a more defensive style probably hurt him in his draft year as a junior. If he played for Hopkins or another team that is not quite as deep he probably puts up 50 points as the team star. Instead, he did what was best for the team to help them win a championship. As a result we saw players like Cullen Munson who committed to play D1 hockey and Miguel Fidler break out and get drafted in the 5th round. These same players were examples of guys suffering from the depth of the Edina teams.
I know I am biased being an Edina fan, but I look at Jaremko and the Poehling compared to Malmquist and they all had similar numbers, similar size (Malmquist being the smallest by a little bit) while playing a similar schedule in regards to difficulty (Jaremko's being the easiest) and when I toss in defensive ability, I don't see why Dylan is not at least back in the 200's.

The good news is that getting drafted is not the most important thing in the world. I recently read an article about Nate Schmidt and how going undrafted at the time was tough, but was probably the best thing that happened to him. You look at Kloos and Jake Randolph as guys who are undrafted, but if they keep it up, might be able to sign a deal at the end of college. Dylan will have a great opportunity to play for a solid college hockey program and I hope he has a successful career where he proves all the scouts wrong.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

green4 wrote:
WestMetro wrote:Green 4.

Obviously I am not a pro scout so I can't tell you the exact reason why he is not listed. I would guess him returning to high school did not help his draft stock compared to him going to the USHL or something. His biggest knock is his size and with all the scouts who are skeptical of high school hockey, it does not end up in his favor.
This might seem odd to say, but I think playing for Edina compared to another high school team might have cost him a draft spot. Playing on such a deep team where he had the role of playing with younger, first year players and with a more defensive style probably hurt him in his draft year as a junior. If he played for Hopkins or another team that is not quite as deep he probably puts up 50 points as the team star. Instead, he did what was best for the team to help them win a championship. As a result we saw players like Cullen Munson who committed to play D1 hockey and Miguel Fidler break out and get drafted in the 5th round. These same players were examples of guys suffering from the depth of the Edina teams.
I know I am biased being an Edina fan, but I look at Jaremko and the Poehling compared to Malmquist and they all had similar numbers, similar size (Malmquist being the smallest by a little bit) while playing a similar schedule in regards to difficulty (Jaremko's being the easiest) and when I toss in defensive ability, I don't see why Dylan is not at least back in the 200's.

The good news is that getting drafted is not the most important thing in the world. I recently read an article about Nate Schmidt and how going undrafted at the time was tough, but was probably the best thing that happened to him. You look at Kloos and Jake Randolph as guys who are undrafted, but if they keep it up, might be able to sign a deal at the end of college. Dylan will have a great opportunity to play for a solid college hockey program and I hope he has a successful career where he proves all the scouts wrong.
I don't remember the %, but there was a thread on here maybe a year or so ago about players drafted in the NHL and the % of them that actually played at all in the NHL. It's very low. Unless you are drafted in the first round, you are better off NOT being drafted for free agency reasons. Worked out very well for guys like JT Brown and Nate Schmidt. Kloos and Randolph are great examples of players that will likely benefit from this as well.