Mr. Hockey 2016

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Bluelightspecial-II

Post by Bluelightspecial-II »

Crusty wrote:You guys are over thinking this, Tufte has got this thing wrapped up. Their last 3 games are a bunch of cupcake teams, Tufte will just be padding his stats.
I don't think many are questioning who will be Mr Hockey. More about the selection process be a complete joke!
gopherman23

Post by gopherman23 »

Crusty wrote:You guys are over thinking this, Tufte has got this thing wrapped up. Their last 3 games are a bunch of cupcake teams, Tufte will just be padding his stats.
Yeah, you're right about that. He had a hat trick plus two assists today. He now has 39+26 (65) with three games left against Champlin, AC Wings, and Roseville.
gopherman23

Post by gopherman23 »

Tufte with his third straight hat trick. He is up to 42 goals now.
north_bear

Post by north_bear »

Sweet... :roll:
Thunderhawk Fanatic!!
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

gopherman23 wrote:Tufte with his third straight hat trick. He is up to 42 goals now.
They showed some highlight clips on Channel 9 sports tonight. The news guy was impressed enough to remark that he looked "like a man among boys".
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

Is he as good as Bjugstad was in High School?
HSHockeyFan08

Post by HSHockeyFan08 »

[quote="mulefarm"]Is he as good as Bjugstad was in High School?[/quote]

Not even close.
gopherman23

Post by gopherman23 »

HSHockeyFan08 wrote:
mulefarm wrote:Is he as good as Bjugstad was in High School?
Not even close.
I think that statement is a bit of hyperbole. I'd give the edge to Bjugstad, but Riley has definitely closed the gap with his dominant play. Even though Tufte decided to stay in the High School ranks, he has been rising in the latest draft expert rankings. If he has a good showing in the USHL, I think that he will solidify himself as a first round pick.
nahc

Post by nahc »

So Mr. Hockey is based on points accumulated during the season no matter what level they play?
InYourFace09

Post by InYourFace09 »

nahc wrote:So Mr. Hockey is based on points accumulated during the season no matter what level they play?
Should it be based on name recognition based of past performance? :shock:
gopherman23

Post by gopherman23 »

nahc wrote:So Mr. Hockey is based on points accumulated during the season no matter what level they play?
Actually no. If that was the case, Chaz Smedsrud would be the favorite to win Mr. Hockey. :D

What is your actual beef?
nahc

Post by nahc »

No beef at all. Was just wondering how the skater was selected. Competition plays a huge role in the numbers most skaters put up so there has to be more to the selection than pure goals and assists right? I don't know so am just asking...........
barsouth

Post by barsouth »

10 Games Played 6 points for one finalist. 20 GP 22 Points for another... Who knows what the selection process is anymore? We know the candidates aren't chosen this way... "The Mr. Hockey Award is given to the outstanding senior high school boys’ hockey player in the state of Minnesota ."
summer

Post by summer »

TheNightman wrote:
WestMetro wrote:That's a pretty good list. I might sub in Jackson Cates for Jette
Cates was the last guy I left off, and I did so because he's being outscored by his younger brother.

Jette has a decent chance of being drafted, which seems to be a pretty large factor.
Jette has potential, but really hasn't earned his ranking
TheNightman

Post by TheNightman »

summer wrote:
TheNightman wrote:
WestMetro wrote:That's a pretty good list. I might sub in Jackson Cates for Jette
Cates was the last guy I left off, and I did so because he's being outscored by his younger brother.

Jette has a decent chance of being drafted, which seems to be a pretty large factor.
How many times have you seen him play?
Bluelightspecial-II

Post by Bluelightspecial-II »

TheNightman wrote:
summer wrote:
TheNightman wrote: Cates was the last guy I left off, and I did so because he's being outscored by his younger brother.

How many times have you seen him play?
Plenty, and I agree.
Whiner33

Post by Whiner33 »

summer wrote:
TheNightman wrote:

We all have potential! 🍌🍌🍌
10minutemajor

Post by 10minutemajor »

You guys crack me up. Nitpicking the selection process in general and certain players in particular based on what would best serve anyone you think should be on the list. Mr. Hockey finalists are selected by NHL scouts, USHL/Junior scouts and coaches, select media from throughout the State, and (I believe) DI/DIII College Hockey coaches, not by fans, parents, relatives, friends or even high school coaches. There’s a reason for that. It would seem to me that those involved in the selection process have the credentials to make an educated decision, as they have been watching and evaluating potential nominees for years – during the HP process, in Elite League, and throughout the players’ high school careers. As far as I can see, this is the way it has been done for quite some time.

Now the kids are seniors, and 10 have been nominated for an award that is the culmination of years of hard work – a body of work that makes them who they are as of their senior year in high school. Are there more than 10 kids who have the potential to be on the list? Sure. But they can’t all make it, and those that are on the list are there for a reason. Those that aren’t on the list have been left off for a reason. Personally, I think if a kid has impressed the selection committee throughout the years and made the cut even though he played fewer games (for reasons not within his control) immediately preceding the vote, that’s pretty impressive. And as far as I can see, he was a pre-season pick to be on the Mr. Hockey list and the Reed Larson list. Correct me if I’m wrong, but getting hurt doesn’t make a kid suddenly less talented or take away what he has accomplished. In the meantime, everyone else you think got jobbed by the process had plenty of games to prove their worth and apparently didn’t do so. That’s life.

Last time I checked, this wasn’t an award for the most points scored (even amongst forwards) or the most games played immediately preceding the voting. Everyone knows there’s more to hockey than points, especially for defensemen, and especially for athletes playing in a low-scoring defense-minded program. How do you know what is being asked of a player or what it takes for a player to impress the selection committee?

In other posts throughout this forum several of you have called out various nominees for their point totals and have decided that others are poor skaters or are overrated – even those that have “enough” points in your world. You have complained that out-state kids don’t get enough attention. I think I’ve even seen people say Tufte underperformed during his time in the USHL. (Huh?) And sadly, you seem to think Hockey Hub stats are the be-all of reliability, which they aren’t. Heck, if you look close enough, you can see that some players have exactly as many SOG’s during a given game as they do goals. I’m pretty sure they aren’t shooting at a 100% clip. Some schools don’t update or correct their stats because they feel if kids are worried about that, they are selfish and not playing a team game. I’m guessing that never occurred to you as you drone on about points. For a long time I think the Hub even said Staum had played every game of the season, which you all have pointed out ad nauseum isn’t the case.

I guess what I’m trying to say is that the people with best hockey knowledge had the chance to observe these kids for more than a snapshot in time and decide who (now that they are seniors) is worthy of this honor. I think they did a good job – and I say congrats to all.

(P.S.) How long until you start complaining that a goalie with a losing record got nominated for the Brimsek? Certainly that can’t be right!
scoreandscoreoften

Post by scoreandscoreoften »

10minutemajor wrote:You guys crack me up. Nitpicking the selection process in general and certain players in particular based on what would best serve anyone you think should be on the list. Mr. Hockey finalists are selected by NHL scouts, USHL/Junior scouts and coaches, select media from throughout the State, and (I believe) DI/DIII College Hockey coaches, not by fans, parents, relatives, friends or even high school coaches. There’s a reason for that. It would seem to me that those involved in the selection process have the credentials to make an educated decision, as they have been watching and evaluating potential nominees for years – during the HP process, in Elite League, and throughout the players’ high school careers. As far as I can see, this is the way it has been done for quite some time.

Now the kids are seniors, and 10 have been nominated for an award that is the culmination of years of hard work – a body of work that makes them who they are as of their senior year in high school. Are there more than 10 kids who have the potential to be on the list? Sure. But they can’t all make it, and those that are on the list are there for a reason. Those that aren’t on the list have been left off for a reason. Personally, I think if a kid has impressed the selection committee throughout the years and made the cut even though he played fewer games (for reasons not within his control) immediately preceding the vote, that’s pretty impressive. And as far as I can see, he was a pre-season pick to be on the Mr. Hockey list and the Reed Larson list. Correct me if I’m wrong, but getting hurt doesn’t make a kid suddenly less talented or take away what he has accomplished. In the meantime, everyone else you think got jobbed by the process had plenty of games to prove their worth and apparently didn’t do so. That’s life.

Last time I checked, this wasn’t an award for the most points scored (even amongst forwards) or the most games played immediately preceding the voting. Everyone knows there’s more to hockey than points, especially for defensemen, and especially for athletes playing in a low-scoring defense-minded program. How do you know what is being asked of a player or what it takes for a player to impress the selection committee?

In other posts throughout this forum several of you have called out various nominees for their point totals and have decided that others are poor skaters or are overrated – even those that have “enough” points in your world. You have complained that out-state kids don’t get enough attention. I think I’ve even seen people say Tufte underperformed during his time in the USHL. (Huh?) And sadly, you seem to think Hockey Hub stats are the be-all of reliability, which they aren’t. Heck, if you look close enough, you can see that some players have exactly as many SOG’s during a given game as they do goals. I’m pretty sure they aren’t shooting at a 100% clip. Some schools don’t update or correct their stats because they feel if kids are worried about that, they are selfish and not playing a team game. I’m guessing that never occurred to you as you drone on about points. For a long time I think the Hub even said Staum had played every game of the season, which you all have pointed out ad nauseum isn’t the case.

I guess what I’m trying to say is that the people with best hockey knowledge had the chance to observe these kids for more than a snapshot in time and decide who (now that they are seniors) is worthy of this honor. I think they did a good job – and I say congrats to all.

(P.S.) How long until you start complaining that a goalie with a losing record got nominated for the Brimsek? Certainly that can’t be right!
I definitely can see why people could have different views on who should be chosen. What exactly is the criteria in choosing Mr Hockey? To be honest, I'm not sure. Is it what they accomplished their senior year? Is it what they accomplished during their high school career? Is it about what they did as a super PW? I don't question the people making the choices aren't the most qualified, I do question if what a player does in HP has anything to do with Mr Hockey as you infer. Please correct me if I'm wrong but, Isn't the Mr Hockey award a MSHL award? Nothing at all to do with HP. So, if someone could explain what criteria is used in choosing the finalists, it might go a long way minimize all the complaining.
hockeygirl2

Post by hockeygirl2 »

"Some schools don't update or correct their stats"

I'm not saying this has occurred with any of the finalists but I do know that each coach has the ability to enter, change, correct, or do whatever they want with the stats, games played, etc at any time after the game on Hockey Hub. There's no verification of any of it. In fact there are several times when my better half has been scoring the game as the official scorer and goal scorers have been changed and "extra" assists have been added that are different then what the refs called on the ice. Not saying this has occurred with any of the finalists as I am sure it is well deserved by all, just letting everyone know how hockey hub works, which is at the sole discretion of each individual coach.