Post HP 16 Section Rosters Here

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

oldman70

Post by oldman70 »

DrGaf wrote:
keepyourheadup wrote:I agree with Sats on this one. If a kid doesn't make the final 54 or even his section team it's just not that important. Getting cut from the section team might have been the best motivation my son ever had during youth hockey. Can the process be infuriating? Absolutely , but if a kid can play they'll find him eventually.
Just register in Edina.
Haters are going to hate :(
DrGaf

Post by DrGaf »

oldman70 wrote:
DrGaf wrote:
keepyourheadup wrote:I agree with Sats on this one. If a kid doesn't make the final 54 or even his section team it's just not that important. Getting cut from the section team might have been the best motivation my son ever had during youth hockey. Can the process be infuriating? Absolutely , but if a kid can play they'll find him eventually.
Just register in Edina.
Haters are going to hate :(
Absolutely.
Sorry, fresh out, Don't Really Give Any.
MWS coach

Post by MWS coach »

Whiner33 wrote:
MWS coach wrote:
Sats81 wrote:Here's the bottom line:

If your kid, or any kid is good enough to play at the next level HE WILL GET NOTICED eventually. This is not a make or break deal. If anything, it is a good teaching lesson that sometimes life isn't fair! People can and will complain till the end of time that this process is political or unfair, but it won't change anything.
Just to be clear, not talking about my kid. Missing my point, which is the same others have made over and over, these events are clearly a $$$ grab based upon reputation and name. Your right nothing will change until those in charge decide to change it if they ever will. What is sad is it does not have to be like it is.
Without a doubt cost for four games, a meaningless practice a jersey and socks is expensive, but all of my kids that have played in these events have really had a ton of fun, made new friends and played in some really good games. I know some of the families on our team stayed in St. Cloud and made a fun weekend out of it outside of hockey as well. Scouts??? I am sure I saw several at the 2005 in St. Cloud.... REALLY, it is not always about scouts and whom is watching, especially at the youngest ages. I don't ever recall either of these festivals promoting there would be scouts in attendance either. GEEZ

This was your quote above on the youth forum now you changed your tune over on the high school forum eh....
Yes, comparing apples and oranges. you are talking about a Youth Hockey Selects Tournament that is a much different animal costs are much different and there is no advancement in a Selects tournament. You get invited to a Selects tournament, if you decide to play, you play have fun and end the weekend. HP is a process which is used to identify prospects for advancement for players which are fast approaching that time in their life when someone may tell them they can no long play (except for beer league of course). The $$ aspect of it is no where near the same when you talk about the $$ Grab. Let's start with Section tryout 4 hours of ice for $80 with about 45 kids on the ice at one time. 9 D on one team for Section 7 tryout. 2 Two hour sessions on the same day. There is no tryout for Selects, you get invited to the festival. HP Festival weekend $170 for no practices and Three games, not to mention they charge you $20 to get in the door. Selects, no charge to get in the door, 4 games and two hours of practice ice. Clearly cost is much cheaper for selects than HP. Two family members attend HP $290, Selects $180.

The main difference is Selects is a fun tournament that as I said was expensive but with no advancement. HP is a process designed to identify players for advancement to the next level and cost is higher. If someone isn't making $$$$ off of HP Process, those managing it are doing something wrong. I have no issue with $$$ being made, why can't people just admit it? Ok money grab is a strong way of saying making money, but in the end isn't that the same thing?

Selects = Fun for a youth hockey player
HP = Opportunity for advancement for a high school age player

Both expensive and overpriced, yes.
MWS coach

Post by MWS coach »

elliott70 wrote:
MWS coach wrote:
Sats81 wrote:Here's the bottom line:

If your kid, or any kid is good enough to play at the next level HE WILL GET NOTICED eventually. This is not a make or break deal. If anything, it is a good teaching lesson that sometimes life isn't fair! People can and will complain till the end of time that this process is political or unfair, but it won't change anything.
Just to be clear, not talking about my kid. Missing my point, which is the same others have made over and over, these events are clearly a $$$ grab based upon reputation and name. Your right nothing will change until those in charge decide to change it if they ever will. What is sad is it does not have to be like it is.
How do you define money grab?
And who do you think is grabbing the money?
I define money grab is making money in excess of costs. Do the math, someone is making money off of the HP Process, or it is being managed very poorly. I have not idea who is making $$$ is or whom ultimately gaining from it and frankly I don't care. My guess would be profits are attributed to other causes and or making it more affordable to those that do advance. I have never thought any thing nefarious is happening, but why can't people just look at the facts and admit, yes this is a money maker?
MWS coach

Post by MWS coach »

No disagreement with this, was going to say thanks Captain obvious to Stats, but.....
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

And getting cut from the section team for your son seemed to turn out just fine for him! (Still absolutely UNREAL he got cut from any team!)
keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup »

It was good for him in the long run, I can absolutely sympathize with those who seem shocked by the selection process. I left the rink shaking my head just completely bewildered by how it played out. I can't blame any parent for feeling the process is flawed but rest assured if your child has the ability and desire he/she will get there.

FWIW, this was the same year the 93 Icemen disbanded and there were 3 pretty good players that couldn't even find an invite AAA team to play on. Mike Rielly, Mario Lucia and Justin Kloos had basically been cut when the Blades and Icemen merged. Funny how that worked out.