7A 2015-2016 Prediction

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

howardst

Post by howardst »

I'm sorry ranier. You could not be more wrong. I am a jacket but with that said I believe a real fan can point out the obvious strengths but also wants to see improvement to allow for future success. All the guys you pointed out have points and that is great but wen all there points go through the hand of one player that is in its self a weakness. I am a fan not a fanatic. My so called love for greenway is way more a respect for a program that has come from the cellar and has earned the right to be proud. When things are unjust it is what it is. If Hibbing truely had the superior depth, better goalie, best player, and even coaching, as you have stated then they have no flaws and it would be far fetched to believe that you would not be surprised if greenway beat them in feb. it's time a voice of reason came out and pumped your brakes on all is golden with the jackets. I do believe the have decent depth but not great. Nope they do have a great player and another forward that is approaching great in Lee but the rest are just good players made better by a absolute stud in perunovich. Depth is a whole diff animal. I want that depth to develop. Patriots prove every year they are deep when someone goes out with injury, yup even Brady was out most of the year a few years back and guess what, there depth, coaching, systems allowed them to continue winning. Hibbing does not have that. Please relax on the perfect team, enjoy the ride they are on. Merry Christmas and happy new year
Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

howardst wrote:I'm sorry ranier. You could not be more wrong. I am a jacket but with that said I believe a real fan can point out the obvious strengths but also wants to see improvement to allow for future success. All the guys you pointed out have points and that is great but wen all there points go through the hand of one player that is in its self a weakness. I am a fan not a fanatic. My so called love for greenway is way more a respect for a program that has come from the cellar and has earned the right to be proud. When things are unjust it is what it is. If Hibbing truely had the superior depth, better goalie, best player, and even coaching, as you have stated then they have no flaws and it would be far fetched to believe that you would not be surprised if greenway beat them in feb. it's time a voice of reason came out and pumped your brakes on all is golden with the jackets. I do believe the have decent depth but not great. Nope they do have a great player and another forward that is approaching great in Lee but the rest are just good players made better by a absolute stud in perunovich. Depth is a whole diff animal. I want that depth to develop. Patriots prove every year they are deep when someone goes out with injury, yup even Brady was out most of the year a few years back and guess what, there depth, coaching, systems allowed them to continue winning. Hibbing does not have that. Please relax on the perfect team, enjoy the ride they are on. Merry Christmas and happy new year
I think it's pretty clear to anyone watching that the Jackets could beat the Patriots this year. I agree that you are a Greenway fan! 😜
rainier

Post by rainier »

Let's take a look at your latest inane rant, shall we?

[quote="howardst"]I'm sorry ranier. You could not be more wrong. I am a jacket but with that said I believe a real fan can point out the obvious strengths but also wants to see improvement to allow for future success. I agree, I have been saying all along Hibbing needs to get better. You are the one claiming I'm saying Hibbing is "perfect", which I haven't even come close to doing. I think Hermantown is the favorite in 7A, while you think Hibbing is. Tell me again who thinks too highly of Hibbing?

All the guys you pointed out have points and that is great but wen all there points go through the hand of one player that is in its self a weakness. So the fact that 85% of New England's scoring goes through Tom Brady is a weakness according to you? And we all know Carolina is a sham because if Newton gets hurt or has a bad game, it's over for them. Of course Hibbing takes a big step back if their best player doesn't play or has a bad game. But, now listen closely, so does every other team! What is Hermantown ranked without Aamodt? What is EP ranked without Mittlestadt?

You do realize Lee, Bestul, DeBoom, etc. are still putting the puck in the net, right? They're not just standing there while Perunovich shoots the puck off their stick blades and into the net. These goals aren't a bunch of open net tap-ins that even a squirt B2 could make. Give these other kids some credit.

I am a fan not a fanatic. My so called love for greenway is way more a respect for a program that has come from the cellar and has earned the right to be proud. When things are unjust it is what it is. Unjust? What does this mean? How are things unjust for Greenway? I also have great respect for what Greenway has done, and have said so many times.

If Hibbing truely had the superior depth, better goalie, best player, and even coaching, as you have stated then they have no flaws and it would be far fetched to believe that you would not be surprised if greenway beat them in feb. it's time a voice of reason came out and pumped your brakes on all is golden with the jackets. I do think Hibbing has superior depth over Greenway, and it showed in the 3rd period. As far as the goalie, I stated earlier that Greenway had the advantage because they had a good senior in nets and Hibbing had a freshman, so stop putting words in my mouth. I do think Hibbing has the best player on these two teams, which is obvious. I do not think Hibbing has better coaching, I think Greenway does. No flaws? Give me a break. I never said this, and have said many times that the defense behind Perunovich needs to improve. I also said the pp needs to improve, and it went 4/5 in the Greenway game, so that is solid improvement. Pump my brakes? Dude, you are the one who is convinced Hibbing is better than Hermantown. The most audacious thing I have said about Hibbing is "I think they belong in the #3-#10 range in Class A." Hibbing is currently ranked #5. Yeah, I'm a shameless homer out of touch with reality. :roll:

I do believe the have decent depth but not great. I agree, I've never said they had "great" depth. What I've said is that they have more depth than they've had in a long time, which is true. They have good depth relative to Hibbing teams of the last 8-9 years, not good depth relative to an Eden Prairie, which seems to be the standard you are setting. Other than a Hermantown or Breck, no class A team is going to get a lot of scoring from their 2nd and 3rd lines. You think Hibbing has "decent" depth, and you also think Hibbing is better than Hermantown, so then according to you, Hibbing has enough depth to win 7A. Why do you keep harping on their depth if you already believe it is good enough for them to beat the #2 ranked team?

Nope they do have a great player and another forward that is approaching great in Lee but the rest are just good players made better by a absolute stud in perunovich. I agree, but it's good enough for them to be 9-0 and be ranked #5 in A. (Remember, the goalie has had a lot to do with Hibbing success this year, too) And it's good enough for you to think they will beat Hermantown, too. How is Mahtomedi's 2nd and 3rd line doing this year? Apollo is ranked #3, and aren't their skater studs limited to Lucia and Breidenbach? Where are their other great players? I don't get the point of your argument, especially when you are the only one who is guaranteeing a Hibbing win over Hermantown.

Depth is a whole diff animal. I want that depth to develop. Patriots prove every year they are deep when someone goes out with injury, yup even Brady was out most of the year a few years back and guess what, there depth, coaching, systems allowed them to continue winning. They didn't win the Super Bowl. Only with Brady do they win it all.

Hibbing does not have that. Please relax on the perfect team, enjoy the ride they are on. Merry Christmas and happy new year. Stop telling me to "relax on the perfect team". You are the one who thinks Hibbing is better than the #2 ranked team in the state. All I've said is that Hibbing is the #2 team in 7A, statewide they are in the #3-#10 range, and that they have good depth relative to recent Hibbing squads. Do me a favor, please give me one of my quotes where I imply that Hibbing is a perfect team. Please do it. Please find any quote of mine that can be in the same stratosphere as you thinking Hibbing is better than Hermantown.

You came on this forum with guns blazing about how Hibbing was better than Hermantwon, so much so that I said you should "pump the brakes on Hibbing". I believe your actual quote was "Hibbing has a great goalie and a ton of firepower." You were so high on Hibbing, but also on Greenway too, so much so that several others commented on how weird it was for a Hibbing fan to be so passionate in defending Greenway. You talked about how you have seen Virginia, Eveleth, and Denfeld play, yet Hibbing has not played any of those teams...but Greenway has. Once Hibbing beat Greenway, your posts took an ugly turn against Hibbing, as all of a sudden Hibbing was a "one player team" that "couldn't beat any above average team". Funny, these are exactly the kind of statements one would expect from a frustrated Greenway fan after the loss.

I don't think anyone on this board actually believes you are a Hibbing fan. Keep trying though, it's kind of funny. I respect your team and there isn't much that separates Hibbing and Greenway. It would be a surprise to no one if Greenway beat them later in the season.
/quote]
"You can't triple stamp a double stamp." -Harry Dunn
howardst

Post by howardst »

I have seen the Ev vs vie game. It was awesome intensity. Fun game to watch. I went to the denf vs green due to being in Duluth already. Tbonz has great beers for ore game. Hibbing will give a herm team that is not close to what they were last year everything they can handle due to having the most dynamic player northern mn has seen well maybe ever. My so called love for greenway comes from my backing up my opinion that they should be the 3rd team in 7a. So you are allowed to state why they are not and I can state why they should and will be. As far as your opinion where you or anyone thinks I'm from I don't care. I will be taking in a Rapids game also. So when I give my review of them I will be a Rapids fan. Lol. Nope. I'm a open minded has fan that bases opinions on what I see , and how the numbers fall. My opinion Gary's from yours mostly on greenway and how they stack up. Oh well. I do believe if Hibbing can build some depth ( and they need to ). They will be a force. Problem is until someone other than lee or per unit makes a play to make others better rather than just finishing my gut is a coach like plante or Clafton will come up with a plan to stop them. Go jackets. Versich needs to figure something out. Decenzo would!
stromboli

Post by stromboli »

Rainier and Howard. Merry Christmas boys!! I'm not sure who's in the right, but keep it up! I'm rooting for the 7A thread to overtake 3A this year.
howardst

Post by howardst »

Me to. Lol. At least 7a is a contender, lol. Now if two Hibbing guys can find common ground life will be good.
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

Greenway is my team for 7A, I sure hope they keep up the pace so I can watch them at Amsoil.
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine
ShakestheClown

Post by ShakestheClown »

I think any question of Ullan being tested/untested were answered in the Brainerd game. He flat out stole that game from Brainerd.
rainier

Post by rainier »

ShakestheClown wrote:I think any question of Ullan being tested/untested were answered in the Brainerd game. He flat out stole that game from Brainerd.
I agree that Ullan was excellent and had a couple outstanding saves early on, but I wouldn't say he "stole" the game from Brainerd. Hibbing dominated the second half of that game and only allowed one SOG to Brainerd in the 3rd period. Even in the 1st when Brainerd had 13 shots, Hibbing still had more quality scoring chances and many odd man rushes they didn't convert on. (greenway1969 also posted this)

I also agree that he has answered any doubts about his ability to compete at the varsity level, as he stands tied for 1st in the state in wins, is 1st in GAA, and is 4th in sv%. Completely insane when you consider he is a freshman. Upcoming tests vs Cloquet, Rapids, Apollo, TRF, Greenway, and Hermantown will give him some more chances to show what he can do against top competition.
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

Nice write up on the green machine.

http://www.mnhockeyhub.com/news_article ... r_id=32770
greenway1969

Post by greenway1969 »

I really liked what Coach Clafton said in the article. Rapids really missed on hiring a great coach. He knows how to handle the players. Greenway was an undisciplined mess when he arrived. He now has them playing as a unit and pretty much eliminated all the chippy play. The player that had the three penalties against Hibbing did not have one in the Schwann's Cup. I don't know if he played in the first two games, but he did against Minneapolis. Apparently Clafton got through to him. He also has them playing with aggressiveness and intensity on every shift. Greenway better appreciate him while they have him, I don't think he'll be around for that long of a time.
rainier

Post by rainier »

Scott Perunovich was asked to fill in for the USNTDP U-18 game vs UMD this Saturday. Apparently the national team is down a defenseman. Kind of neat that he gets to play against his future team and possibly some future teammates too.

That's got to be kind of strange to play against division one college players one night, and then three days later play against high school kids.

http://bulldoghockeyblog.areavoices.com ... efenseman/
Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

rainier wrote:Scott Perunovich was asked to fill in for the USNTDP U-18 game vs UMD this Saturday. Apparently the national team is down a defenseman. Kind of neat that he gets to play against his future team and possibly some future teammates too.

That's got to be kind of strange to play against division one college players one night, and then three days later play against high school kids.

http://bulldoghockeyblog.areavoices.com ... efenseman/
I have to get out and see this kid play. Does Hibbing play in the Duluth area again this year?
rainier

Post by rainier »

They play at Superior on the 12th and at Hermantown on Feb. 11th.
rainier

Post by rainier »

Team name [overall record (7A record)]

1. Hermantown [10-1-1 (2-0)] The Hawks got a great win to start off the week when they dispatched of top 5 A team Delano, 5-2. They followed this up with their second win over Roseville this season, and then won the Hilltopper Classic by shredding Cloquet 8-3.
The Hawks seem to be hitting their stride, and they face a tough test next week as they head up to Grand Rapids. After last year’s 10-2 shellacking, the Thunderhawks will be angry and looking for revenge, but will Plante’s single A juggernaut be too much once again? I’ll take Hermantown to win 5-2.

2. Hibbing [11-0 (2-0)] The Bluejackets had a good week as they pummeled Northern Lakes and also made a statement by shutting out Brainerd, the 4th highest scoring team in AA. Goalie Ullan got all the press for making some incredible saves in the 1st period, but for me the story of the game was Hibbing coming back and outshooting Brainerd 2 to 1 over the last two periods, as they limited the Warriors to a mere one shot on goal in the 3rd period. Not bad considering Brainerd put up 5 goals against Rapids the following night.
This week opens with a tough challenge as Cloquet comes to town Tuesday, followed by a trip to Virginia Thursday, where the Blue Devils are always tough. Hibbing just never seems to be able to beat the Lumberjacks, even when the teams have seemed to be fairly evenly matched. Therefore, I think Hibbing will suffer its first blemish to their record, as I predict a 3-3 tie. (Hopefully Perunovich playing with Team USA vs UMD on Saturday will give him some extra juice heading into the Cloquet game.) :)

3. Greenway [12-2 (4-2)] The Raiders took the Schwan Cup Open division by beating three decent A teams in Spring Lake Park, Princeton, and Minneapolis. That’s enough for me to move them to #3 given Denfeld’s struggles against mediocre teams. Although they still lack a signature win against a top 10 A team, they will have a chance to separate from the rest of the 7A pack even more with two wins this week. They first hit the road to North Shore, a team whose only loss is to a solid St Louis Park team, and then they host I-Falls. I expect the Raiders to keep rolling along until their big game vs Hermantown on the 12th.

4. Denfeld [6-6-1 (3-1)] The Hunters have been playing some decent teams in St Louis Park and Apple Valley, but they were shutout in both games and also barely beat a weak Owatonna team. Thus, Denfeld drops to #4 as their OT win over Greenway fades into the distance without the Hunters showing any follow up wins.

5. North Shore [11-1 (2-0)] The Storm continued to march along against weaker competition, but they just keep getting it done and their only loss is 5-4 to a decent St. Louis Park team; in fact, they kept it closer than Denfeld did vs St. Louis Park.
We can speculate all day how good the Storm actually are, but now we will finally get some real evidence, as they play their next nine games vs teams from 7A, a stretch that includes two games vs Greenway and one vs Denfeld. If North Shore can hold serve vs the teams below them, split with Greenway and/or beat Denfeld, they have a real chance of moving into the top 4.
However, if they want to entertain any notions of moving into the top 3, then they must beat Greenway, the team they face on Tuesday, and then take care of Eveleth on Thursday.

6. I-Falls [6-6-1 (1-3-1)] The Broncos had their nice 4 game win streak snapped by Warroad, but they did well in going 2-1 at the Warroad tourney. This is a plucky bunch that could upset somebody down the road in 7A. This week they face a tough game in Greenway, and they also have a rematch with Virginia, a team they tied the first game of the season.

7. VMIB [3-7-2 (0-2-2)] The Blue Devils have played a tough schedule so far, probably the 2nd or 3rd toughest in 7A, and they hung tough with a good Brainerd team, thus they move up to #7. The Bugaboo for them has been their inability to beat lower tier 7A teams, as ties with I-Falls and Eveleth have held them back.
They get a chance to exorcise one of those demons this week, as they get another crack at I-Falls. Despite me liking I-Falls, I still believe the young talent in Virginia will continue to grow into the varsity level, and I like them to move up as the year goes along. They also host Hibbing this week, a game they will be jacked up for, and given how the Blue Devils competed with Rapids for most of the game and how they hung with Brainerd, Hibbing should not take this team lightly. Crazy things happen in rivalry games.

8. Proctor [8-5 (2-2)] The Rails return to action after a whopping 14 days off. They have had their ups and downs this season, but a huge opportunity looms this week when they face Denfeld at Heritage. If Proctor is looking to make a move, this is the game to do it. They also face Hayward this week, and they should win that one.

9. Eveleth-Gilbert [5-9-1 (2-4-1)] The Bears got off the schneid by winning two games to halt their eight game winless streak. Their only game this week is against North Shore, so it is a big chance for Eveleth to right the ship.

10. Ely [3-6-1 (0-2)] Ely is a great town.

7A Game of the Week: Greenway at North Shore-While most would likely pick the Raiders to win, an upset by the Storm would really mess seeds 3-5 up and send them all the way up to #3. But I don’t see that happening. The Storm played well against St. Louis Park, but I think Greenway is a significant step above of SLP and they will show it in Two Harbors this week. I’m picking Raiders to win 5-2.
rainier

Post by rainier »

Fun to see Scott Perunovich get some ice team with the NTDP U-18 team tonight vs UMD. He didn't get to play a ton, but he held his own out there. I wonder if Sandelin told the team not to hit their future teammate too hard. :)

Gonna be quite a contrast going back to hs hockey three days from now.
howardst

Post by howardst »

Rainier. I'm back buddy. Great trip. I see you finally see it my way. Its ok. Some don't see it as well as I do and as quick. Lol. Just kidding. I see peruni had a great night
greenway1969

Post by greenway1969 »

Greenway did a good job last week in the Schwan's Cup to prove they are a solid top 20 Class A team. They not only won, but won by good margins or at least heavily outshot their opponents. However, I would still have Denfeld as #3. If Greenway can beat North Shore and the Falls this week then I would put them at #3. My guess is that North Shore will be really up for the game, so this will be another big challenge. It will probably be a one goal game, either way. As for the Falls, Greenway has a very difficult time against the Falls no matter how bad the Falls is or how good Greenway is. Greenway's best team ever ('87) lost to the Falls during the season. The Falls is the surprise team this season and have exceeded expectations.
rainier

Post by rainier »

1. Hermantown [12-1-1 (2-0)] The Hawks had another great week as they shutout Grand Rapids on the road and then pummeled St. Cloud Cathedral. This week they travel to Greenway on Tuesday and then host Bemidji on Saturday. These could both be good games or the Hawks could put their foot down and breeze through both; they have the team to do it.

2. Hibbing [13-0 (3-0)] The Bluejackets got by Cloquet and Virginia by identical 3-2 scores to stay unbeaten for the season. This week they start off in Superior on Tuesday before hosting Grand Rapids on Thursday. Hibbing should be a solid favorite over Superior, but in order to have a chance of beating the T-Hawks, they must capitalize on their good scoring chances, something they didn’t do against Virginia. Next week’s game vs Denfeld should be big for seeding in 7A.

3. Greenway [14-2 (6-2)] The Raiders exposed North Shore this week 6-0 and then trounced I-Falls 10-1. These wins solidify their spot at #3, and this week they have a chance to make a run for #2 and possibly even #1 if they beat Hermantown and then Hibbing later in the season. While a victory over the Hawks seems like a long shot, they do have the goaltending to pull off such an upset. Greenway’s other game is vs St. Cloud Tech, a game they should win.

4. Denfeld [8-7-1 (4-1)] The Hunters got back on the winning track by taking down Proctor and North St Paul this week. Not that these are huge wins, but both were shutouts, once again showing that Denfeld’s strength is their defense and goaltending. Games vs Cloquet and Blake this week likely won’t have too much effect on their status in 7A, but the following week’s game vs Hibbing looms large as their chance to jump back into the top three. If nothing else, North Shore’s big loss to Greenway means the Hunters will have a home quarterfinal, assuming they do indeed beat North Shore later in the season.

5. North Shore [12-2 (3-1)] The Storm got a dose of 7A reality as Greenway put them away in convincing fashion, however they followed that up by beating Eveleth 2-1, yet they outshot the Bears 2 to 1. They will get a chance to hold on to their #5 spot this week with road games vs Virginia and I-Falls. A loss to one or both of those teams will mix up the lower seeds in 7A that much more, while two wins would all but guarantee no worse than #5.

6. VMIB [4-8-2 (1-3-2)] The Blue Devils started the week off by getting their first 7A victory by beating I-Falls, but then lost a heartbreaker to Hibbing. The game vs Hibbing showed that Virginia has a goalie who can keep them in games and give them a shot at some upsets. They have a chance on Tuesday to make a big statement as North Shore comes to town. With a win, Virginia could leapfrog the Storm and have some momentum as they head into their rematch with Greenway next week. The Blue Devils’ other games this week are vs Willmar and Hutch.

7. I-Falls [6-8-1 (1-5-1)] The Broncos fell to Virginia despite outshooting them 34-25, so they put themselves in position to win, but found out how good Westerholm is for Virginia. They then found out how good Greenway is, as the Raiders put double digits up on them. The purple and gold face Eveleth and North Shore this week, so perhaps they can pull off the upset and climb back up the rankings.

8. Proctor [8-7 (2-3)] The Rails fell to Hayward and Denfeld this week, but they should win both their games this week as they face Moose Lake and Ely.

9. Eveleth-Gilbert [5-10-1 (2-5-1)] The Bears lost by just one goal to North Shore, an encouraging sign, but they’ll have to show more if they want to move up. They play I-Falls this week and then a weekend of Willmar and Hutch.

10. Ely [4-6-1 (0-2)] Ely is a cool town.

7A Game of the Week: Hermantown at Greenway-Yes, the Hawks are heavy favorites, but Greenway is coming off a week where they outscored their opponents 16-1, so they are humming right now. Greenway has the goaltending and a top line that can beat many teams, but the crazy depth that Hermantown has is something the Raiders have yet to see this season. While I’d love to see the upset, I just don’t see Greenway’s defenseman being able to slow down the Hawks’ relentless forecheck. I’m thinking 6-2 Hermantown.
greenway1969

Post by greenway1969 »

I agree with Greenway being #3 at this point. However, if Denfeld beats everyone below them I think they'll deserve the #3 seed. I'm a firm believer that head-to-head competition should carry the most weight. If Greenway could somehow manage a win against Hermantown or Hibbing, then they would have a stronger case for claiming #3 seed.
lsqrank01

Post by lsqrank01 »

Trends thru Jan 12, 2016

Code: Select all

MN MN
LSQRANK State Tier Score                            Team          LG  SEC  AA  A    CLS     GP  (WW-LL-TT) percent
====================================================================================================================
    12  MN     HS   998.4273                  Hermantown      MnHSHL   7       2      A     13  (11- 1- 1) 0.885  
    20  MN     HS   997.2500            Hibbing/Chisholm      MnHSHL   7       3      A     13  (13- 0- 0) 1.000  
    28  MN     HS   996.7816                    Greenway      MnHSHL   7       6      A     16  (14- 2- 0) 0.875  
    95  MN     HS   993.6011               DuluthDenfeld      MnHSHL   7      25      A     16  ( 8- 7- 1) 0.531  
   108  MN     HS   993.2935  Virginia/MountainIron-Buhl      MnHSHL   7      31      A     14  ( 4- 8- 2) 0.357  
   127  MN     HS   992.8552                  NorthShore      MnHSHL   7      37      A     15  (13- 2- 0) 0.867  
   164  MN     HS   991.6125          InternationalFalls      MnHSHL   7      45      A     15  ( 6- 8- 1) 0.433  
   200  MN     HS   990.6350             Eveleth-Gilbert      MnHSHL   7      49      A     16  ( 5-10- 1) 0.344  
   215  MN     HS   990.2927                     Proctor      MnHSHL   5      53      A     16  ( 8- 8- 0) 0.500  
   357  MN     HS   985.3286                         Ely      MnHSHL   7              A     11  ( 4- 6- 1) 0.409  
HockeyStorm

Post by HockeyStorm »

Move Denfeld up to #3 (Greenway #4) after beating section 7AA Cloquet-Esko-Carlton. Move North Shore down to #6 (Virginia #5) after losing to International Falls.
rainier

Post by rainier »

HockeyStorm wrote:Move Denfeld up to #3 (Greenway #4) after beating section 7AA Cloquet-Esko-Carlton. Move North Shore down to #6 (Virginia #5) after losing to International Falls.
Greenway just played a one goal game with Hermantown, a great team that crushed CEC and beat Denfeld 4-1, so I wouldn't drop Greenway just yet. Denfeld vs Hibbing next Tuesday should be a good one.

What was final score? Hub is showing 3-1 CEC win. :?:
HockeyStorm

Post by HockeyStorm »

rainier wrote:
HockeyStorm wrote:Move Denfeld up to #3 (Greenway #4) after beating section 7AA Cloquet-Esko-Carlton. Move North Shore down to #6 (Virginia #5) after losing to International Falls.
Greenway just played a one goal game with Hermantown, a great team that crushed CEC and beat Denfeld 4-1, so I wouldn't drop Greenway just yet. Denfeld vs Hibbing next Tuesday should be a good one.

What was final score? Hub is showing 3-1 CEC win. :?:

4-3
rainier

Post by rainier »

1. Hermantown [13-2-1 (3-0)] By the Hawks’ standard, they had a bad week, as they barely got by Greenway and then lost to Bemidji at home. However, there is no shame in either of those results, and #2 Hibbing did not seize the opportunity for #1 in their game against GR. Hermantown starts the week off by pummeling Proctor, but the weekend will get interesting as they host solid AA team WBL on Friday, followed by consensus top 4 A team Mahtomedi on Saturday. As of now, it appears the only way Hermantown would not be the #1 seed is if they lost to Hibbing.

2. Hibbing [14-1 (3-0)] The Bluejackets completely decimated Superior on the road, but then saw their undefeated season go up in smoke as GR came to town and won. The loss hopefully light a fire under the Bluejackets, as they saw they can hang with a team of that caliber, but they must continue to improve if they want to beat a time like that.
Hibbing faces their toughest week of the season, as they host three good A teams. The Denfeld game on Tuesday is huge for seeding purposes, as a Hibbing loss could easily drop them to #3, given how well Greenway played Hermantown. On Friday and Saturday, improving Warroad and top ten TRF head to the Memorial Building. With a 3-0 week, Hibbing can cement their spot in Class A’s top five, but a loss to any of those teams will have people continuing to question if they truly are top 5 A material.

3. Greenway [15-3 (6-3)] The Raiders impressed the hell out of pretty much everyone by playing Hermantown so tough. It wasn’t so much the 2-1 score as it was that the shots were 27-19, which tells us that it was a truly competitive game, and not just LaDoux saving 48/50 just to keep Greenway in it. They played Hermantown much tougher than Hibbing played GR, so the Raiders are right on the Bluejackets’ heels, and given how tough Hibbing’s schedule gets, Greenway might grab the #2 before these teams meet for their huge rematch. Greenway beat SC Tech in a game that was closer than they would have liked, but Tech is a solid team and it is good to see there wasn’t a letdown after the Hermantown performance.
Over their final seven games, the only one in which they won’t be a heavy favorite is Hibbing, so it’s very likely this team finishes with an outstanding 21-22 wins. Greenway starts the week off by visiting an improved Virginia team; unfortunately for Virginia, Greenway appears to have improved even more. The Raiders then play North Shore and I-Falls, two teams they just recently beat by a combined score of 16-1, so, yeah.

4. Denfeld [9-8-1 (4-1)] The Hunters pulled off a great OT win vs Cloquet, but then losing to Blake dashed any hopes of the possibly moving back up to #3. (Along with the great Greenway performance.) But this week Denfeld has a chance to grab #2, as if they beat Hibbing they would be 5-1 in the section and have the victory over Greenway in their pocket also. A win over Hibbing would also be better than anything on Greenway’s resume, so the chance to be the home team in quarters and semis, along with avoiding Hermantown until the last minute (if Herm doesn’t get upset), is on the table for the Hunters this week.
A loss to Hibbing locks Denfeld into no better than #4, and also probably brings them a rematch against a Virginia team that is greatly improves since their early season meeting. Huge potential swing for Denfeld in this game.

5. VMIB [6-8-2 (1-3-2)] The Blue Devils followed their solid performance vs Hibbing last week with two nice wins over the weekend. Their goalie has been nothing short of outstanding, and that confidence can really spread to the whole team. That said, they have yet to beat a quality team, but that chance arrives Tuesday when Greenway comes to town. After that, they will get a chance to avenge their inexplicable tie vs Eveleth earlier in the season. The Blue Devils have the goalie and enough top line talent to make Denfeld, Hibbing, and Greenway all reeeeeeaally want to avoid meeting them in the quarters, and this fear can be stoked with a win or even a close game vs Greenway.

6. I-Falls [8-8-1 (3-5-1)] The Broncos scored nice victories over North Shore and Eveleth and will start their week off with a win against Ely, but the rematch vs Greenway may not be so fun, given their recent 10-1 beating at the hands of the Greenies.

7. North Shore [12-3 (3-2)] It seems strange for a team with as gaudy of a record as the Storm to be all the way back at #7, but the recent 4-3 loss to I-Falls where they got outshot 39-25 makes them a perfect fit here, along with barely beating a bad Eveleth team. While the North Shore itself is beautiful, the Storm’s remaining schedule is not, as they play a bunch more super weak teams and they are very unlikely to beat Greenway, Denfeld, Virginia, or even I-Falls. A play-in game seems very likely at this point. They should beat Eveleth this week, but going to Greenway is gonna be rough.

8. Proctor [10-7 (3-3)] The Rails took care of two bad teams this week, but Hermantown and St. Louis Park this week won’t make it easy for them to keep the streak going.

9. Eveleth-Gilbert [5-13-1 (2-6-1)] The Bears are really struggling, and are likely to only win one more game the rest of the way.

10. Ely -Ely is a great place to visit.

7A Game of the Week: Denfeld at Hibbing- The Hunters’ strength is defense and goaltending, but so is Hibbing’s, and I feel Hibbing has a solid advantage in offensive talent. Given this, and also the game being in Hibbing, I’ll take the Bluejackets to win 3-1.