Coaching Openings 2015-16

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

ilovemesomehockey

Post by ilovemesomehockey »

Nuts&Bolts wrote:Some birds chirping that Brad Stepan is stepping aside. Feeling no love from some parents and/or administration (ie: AD). Anybody closer hearing anything about this one? :?:
Oh for crying out loud. Do you really think coaches dont realize what they are signing up for? Heres a news flash....high school hockey players have parents....and some (and in some cases most) of them are a$$es.Everyone has crappy parts of their jobs. Im not advocating abuse of coaches. Thats never right. I just think if you dont have thick skin, maybe the job isnt for you.
BP

Post by BP »

Billy Hengen is back at Providence. That didn't take long to hire a new coach.
Conrad

Post by Conrad »

BP wrote:Billy Hengen is back at Providence. That didn't take long to hire a new coach.
What's the history on this coach? Based on the above, it appears they were already negotiating with him before parting ways with Brokow. Do we know more details on why Brokow was let go other than parent involvement?
BP

Post by BP »

Conrad wrote:
BP wrote:Billy Hengen is back at Providence. That didn't take long to hire a new coach.
What's the history on this coach? Based on the above, it appears they were already negotiating with him before parting ways with Brokow. Do we know more details on why Brokow was let go other than parent involvement?

Former Asst at Prov, then became an Asst under Trebil at AHA. Was AHA's Head Coach for a year. Then I believe was going to go to Achiever, until that mess fell through. I believe he was the EP AA Bantam coach last year? Good guy, kids like him. He's the 03 Blades Coach, played at AHA and SCSU.
Hockeylogger

Post by Hockeylogger »

Anyone have information on the Spring Lake Park situation? How does Benson lose his job after being there for 20 years and leading the team to the State Tournament for the 1st time this year. He was also named State Coach of the Year for Class A.

It's crap like this that will eventually lead to the demise of hs hockey as we know it. If coaches continue to be driven out like this pretty soon there will be very few quality coaches left coaching in the state. This will just be another reason for players to look for other options than hs hockey.
Wet Paint

Post by Wet Paint »

Hockeylogger wrote:Anyone have information on the Spring Lake Park situation? How does Benson lose his job after being there for 20 years and leading the team to the State Tournament for the 1st time this year. He was also named State Coach of the Year for Class A.

It's crap like this that will eventually lead to the demise of hs hockey as we know it. If coaches continue to be driven out like this pretty soon there will be very few quality coaches left coaching in the state. This will just be another reason for players to look for other options than hs hockey.
A few points.

As an earlier poster said it is not a shock that high school coaches in all sports are hearing from parents all the time. Would be nice if those parents went after the teachers in the schools as hard as they do the coaches but that is another post. So, for a coach to quit because he/she can't take the heat from them makes you wonder why he took the job in the first place.

This won't result in an overt departure of kids to other options but you are right it will add fuel to the fire. Look at several of the top schools this year who had kids leave for a variety of destinations. A good coach can sway a kid to stay there but a bad one or one who appears to be bad will push him over the edge to leave. Right now there seems to be 2 kinds of coaches at the high school level. The kind who understand it and who take a more balanced approach to the kids and parents and those who have that old school "my way or the high way" thought process. Those old school coaches are finding out the hard way that it does not work so well when there are lots of highways with options for the parents and kids to take. It all comes back to the kids and parents having options now that they did not have 10 years ago or so. Back in the day you had one choice so the guy running the show could do what he wanted to do and if you wanted to participate you had to sit down, shut up and toe the line. I think that there is going to be a number of the old school guys who quit or who are going to be pulled into offices of ADs with the suggestion that you might want to "move on" down the road. That old school, yelling, screaming, back stabbing and bullying does not work anymore when you don't have a captive audience.

The demise of high school hockey will not be because parents became a pain in the a$$ to the coaches. It is going to be the result of the schedule and the limitations on it. MN High School hockey does not play enough games when you look at what is available at the JR levels and at the AAA levels where kids are getting 50+ games. Also the opponents that the coaches are choosing to play or are forced to play in the name of conferences and sections are a factor. For a high end team at either the A or AA levels to forced to play or to be allowed to choose to play some of the truely low end teams which results in a blow out is a waste of time for both teams. What is going to happen is that the kids who can move on to play at either a high end public or private school or on into the world of JR hockey will make the move and those kids who can't or don't want to make the move in stay in high school and play high school hockey.

JUST TO CLEAR THIS UP AT THIS POINT. I do not know any of the coaches involved here. I am not slinging mud at any coach who has been mentioned on this thread. I have been around hockey and youth sports of various kinds and have noticed that trend. That is what I am commenting on, not this coach or that coach in particular. What made me go here was the statement that this will lead to the demise of high school hockey and as I indicated, I don't agree with that point, I think the demise is here and going on and this is just a symptom of it.
nahc

Post by nahc »

Any news on Lakeville South's Head Coaching opening?
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

nahc wrote:Any news on Lakeville South's Head Coaching opening?
I've heard they will have a decision by beginning of May.
Defensive Zone

Post by Defensive Zone »

Sats81 wrote:
nahc wrote:Any news on Lakeville South's Head Coaching opening?
I've heard they will have a decision by beginning of May.
The AD at South told a group of parents and players last week that the new head coach hopefully was going to be named by Friday, April 24th. Today!
thespellchecker

Post by thespellchecker »

Hopefully they will announce both the new HC for boys & girls together- a couples presser
8-TIME weekly & 2-Time Season Pick Em Champ
jg2112

Post by jg2112 »

thespellchecker wrote:Hopefully they will announce both the new HC for boys & girls together- a couples presser
Maybe they can both hold the pen while they sign their contracts. A "Love Toilet" for the new millenium.
nahc

Post by nahc »

Any news on the Lakeville South Head Coaching position?
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

nahc wrote:Any news on the Lakeville South Head Coaching position?
Randy Schmitz. LS is going for it all!
nahc

Post by nahc »

Stats, seriously, who is the new head coach or haven't they announced it yet?
thespellchecker

The committee is down to 2 candidates.
Defensive Zone

Post by Defensive Zone »

nahc wrote:Stats, seriously, who is the new head coach or haven't they announced it yet?
I heard today that AJ Bucchino is South's new head coach. Can anyone confirm that?
thespellchecker

Defensive Zone wrote:
nahc wrote:Stats, seriously, who is the new head coach or haven't they announced it yet?
I heard today that AJ Bucchino is South's new head coach. Can anyone confirm that?
Was one of the two finalists, haven't seen anything official yet.
BenDangle

Post by BenDangle »

YHH confirmed Bucchino hire in their "Premium" content story today.
Last edited by BenDangle on Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GoBigorGoHome

Post by GoBigorGoHome »

Scheerer in the 16s is less surprising than discovering someone actually subscribes to YHH's "premium" content. :shock:
100percenteffort

Post by 100percenteffort »

BenDangle wrote:YHH confirmed Bucchino hire in their "Premium" content story today.

They also list the kids who make it national camp at 16 and 17. A couple wow names in there. Bram Scheerer in the 16s?
Can you put a link to the national camp list on the thread?
BP

Post by BP »

Bucci added to LVS on 1st page.
Better Dead Than Red

Post by Better Dead Than Red »

Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

thespellchecker wrote:The committee is down to 2 candidates.
Who was the other candidate they were down to other than Bucchino?
oldschoolpuckster

Post by oldschoolpuckster »

I bet Eigner is excited today!! Open the floodgates to the north for the next few years for sure.
Defensive Zone

Post by Defensive Zone »

oldschoolpuckster wrote:I bet Eigner is excited today!! Open the floodgates to the north for the next few years for sure.
?Please explain