Greatest comeback in state tournament game?

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

hermantown2000

Greatest comeback in state tournament game?

Post by hermantown2000 »

I am wondering what was the greatest comeback in a state tournanent game to win? I know teams have rallied from three goal deficits but has anyone rallied from 4 or more goals.
SFA1992

Post by SFA1992 »

who came back from 3 goals recently? :lol: :lol:
Hockeyfan330

Post by Hockeyfan330 »

Wasn't necessarily a huge comeback, but Mahtomedi vs Hermantown in the 2010 state semifinals was one of the best games I've ever seen. Hermantown kept going down two goals in the third period and the tied it up with under five minutes to go.

Mahtomedi scored at the buzzer, bench cleared in celebration, gloves off and everything. Refs looked at the replay and the puck crossed the line just after the period ended so it went to OT.

Hermantown won in overtime on a breakaway. Talk about an emotional game, fans were incredible (especially the Mahtomedi student section) place was packed for the Friday morning session. It was everything you could hope for in a state tournament semifinal game.
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

That was the first game I remember them opening up the upper deck for the A semis....they needed more room.

That was a classic, and the game that converted me to Class A hockey. The Friday afternoon is EXTREMELY fun for fans!
dherman8

Post by dherman8 »

Hockeyfan330 wrote:Wasn't necessarily a huge comeback, but Mahtomedi vs Hermantown in the 2010 state semifinals was one of the best games I've ever seen. Hermantown kept going down two goals in the third period and the tied it up with under five minutes to go.

Mahtomedi scored at the buzzer, bench cleared in celebration, gloves off and everything. Refs looked at the replay and the puck crossed the line just after the period ended so it went to OT.

Hermantown won in overtime on a breakaway. Talk about an emotional game, fans were incredible (especially the Mahtomedi student section) place was packed for the Friday morning session. It was everything you could hope for in a state tournament semifinal game.
I remember being at that game and at the end being confused after it seemed Mahtomedi won. Knew Hermantown was going to take it after the no goal. That was crazy.
Hockeyfan330

Post by Hockeyfan330 »

Doc Holliday wrote:That was the first game I remember them opening up the upper deck for the A semis....they needed more room.

That was a classic, and the game that converted me to Class A hockey. The Friday afternoon is EXTREMELY fun for fans!
Those are always great games, but like you said, that game was truly a classic. My dad used to take me out of school on that Friday to go to the X and watch the games and hit the expo.
Bigshooter44

Post by Bigshooter44 »

Edina East 1974 down 3-0 going to third vs Henry Sibley & rally for a 5-3 win. This old man was there, very impressive by the cake.
slacsap

Post by slacsap »

Hill down 3-0 to Moorhead in 1993 semis before rallying for a 5-3 win.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Bigshooter44 wrote:Edina East 1974 down 3-0 going to third vs Henry Sibley & rally for a 5-3 win. This old man was there, very impressive by the cake.
I was there too, and unfortunately my brother was on the losing end. If memory serves there was just a tick under 10 minutes remaining when Edina got the first of their five goals.
tezer13

Post by tezer13 »

Roseau 9-8 OT win over Burnsville in 1984 Cons Final

I may be wrong - it was a looong time ago, but I think Roseau was down by quite a bit, but I can still remember cheering while watching this one.
LASERBLUE135

Post by LASERBLUE135 »

Well they lost the game, but anyone who was in the building for Burnsville's 3 goals to tie GR in the last 3 minutes surely was wowed by the volume of the half filled X. Those who left early...I wouldn't be able to live with myself.
pekyman

Post by pekyman »

dherman8 wrote:
Hockeyfan330 wrote:Wasn't necessarily a huge comeback, but Mahtomedi vs Hermantown in the 2010 state semifinals was one of the best games I've ever seen. Hermantown kept going down two goals in the third period and the tied it up with under five minutes to go.

I remember being at that game and at the end being confused after it seemed Mahtomedi won. Knew Hermantown was going to take it after the no goal. That was crazy.
Unbelievable game! Winning goal was scored in OT by sophomore Jared Thomas, currently a UMD Freshman. I think that was the last time those 2 teams have played.
BP

Post by BP »

Hastings vs Blaine.....down with 42 seconds left against Blaine, 6-5. Danny Welch scored to tie it, then scored on a breakaway with .7 seconds left to win it, 7-6.
DanFromWoodbury

Post by DanFromWoodbury »

BP wrote:Hastings vs Blaine.....down with 42 seconds left against Blaine, 6-5. Danny Welch scored to tie it, then scored on a breakaway with .7 seconds left to win it, 7-6.
Completely forgot about that one. What a game! Probably the best tournament goal I've seen in terms of timing, importance and highlight reel quality.
Joe2015

Post by Joe2015 »

Put East against St Thomas Academy on that list: wow
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

Joe2015 wrote:Put East against St Thomas Academy on that list: wow
Definitely.
Be kind. Rewind.
greenway1969

Post by greenway1969 »

Just saw the greatest comeback this afternoon.
Ogie

Post by Ogie »

Wasn't that one whale of a 3rd period & OT we just saw?
Buy ya a soda after the game!
greenway1969

Post by greenway1969 »

Greenway's comeback against Eden Prairie in 2001. Sertich scored the tying goal with 12 seconds left and Gino Guyer scored the winning goal in overtime.
Pass the Puck

Post by Pass the Puck »

What a Great comeback yesterday for DE!!

I see a couple posts about the 1974 Edina East vs Sibley comeback.

I posted this the other day under a different subject.

It's the audio of Frank Buetel calling the 3rd period of that come back in 1974.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w33n67lbcPQ

Reminiscing of undefeated teams and upsets or comebacks.

The 1974 Edina -East team came in to the tourney 21-0, had to cancel 2 games because of the gas crunch.., and beat Harding 9-0 in the first game and then ran into a really good Sibley team on Friday night. Sibley had us down 2-0 going into the third period and then scored again to make it 3-0.

Then, with 9 minutes left in the game, Edina proceeded to score 5 goals in 6 minutes to win 5-3.

Then beat Bemidji 6-0 for the championship to become the first and only Edina team to go undefeated. 24-0

Check out this link on youtube, it's the audio of the 3rd period of that game with Frank Buetel calling the play by play. I threw some pics and articles of that era to glance at as you are listening to possibly, as I would like to think, the Greatest comeback in tourney history ..? !!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w33n67lbcPQ Very Happy