6AA quarter final: Benilde vs Holy Family

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins?

The Fire
50%
The Red Knights
50%

Total votes: 14

green4

6AA quarter final: Benilde vs Holy Family

Post by green4 »

I'm hoping HF can make some noise in the playoffs, but I think the low seed will end up being too much to overcome.
Tonight I have them winning 3-2 in over time.
Tron

Post by Tron »

Do you know if you get a discount at the door if you're Catholic?
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

Keep the ashes on your forehead and you get in free.
StPaulJohnsonGuy

Post by StPaulJohnsonGuy »

Dasani has agreed to suspend their sponsorship at the arena for one night only so these guys can sell their water instead. LOL!

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Both teams must be saying their prayers right now as it's all tied at 3 with just 6 minutes remaining.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Oh Oh, I see that HF's Will Garin was given a penalty at the final whistle for "Abuse of Officials". Sure hope he didn't use any naughty language.
gorilla1

Post by gorilla1 »

Perhaps if certain kids played a cleaner game, results might have been different. Regardless both teams were undisciplined.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Very entertaining game to watch, IMO. Too bad HF Lost, would have been alot better if they would have won. They had a great year.
Would have liked to see them vs EP.
thefatcat

Post by thefatcat »

gorilla1 wrote:Perhaps if certain kids played a cleaner game, results might have been different. Regardless both teams were undisciplined.

So who won? Quick recap?
Wblhcky2424

Post by Wblhcky2424 »

5 penalties by one of your best players? Garin would fit in perfectly at White Bear!
RRubberbeeskit

Post by RRubberbeeskit »

MNHockeyFan wrote:Oh Oh, I see that HF's Will Garin was given a penalty at the final whistle for "Abuse of Officials". Sure hope he didn't use any naughty language.
One player cannot go in the box 5 times in a game at play off time if you want to have a shot at the X let alone the 5 trips to the box in the 3rd period for HF. Must play a cleaner game than that to move on. Sheesh!!!
grandmeadowhockeyfan

Post by grandmeadowhockeyfan »

The one with five penalties spent a lot of time in the "SIN BIN". No wonder they lost the cathlic hockey matchup!!
Sotaboy

Post by Sotaboy »

My first bold pick...BSM wins the section!
green4

Post by green4 »

Garin had 4 penalties during the game, one after it was over. Regardless he could have had 8. He and both the coaches were letting the refs have it, I felt bad for them. I thought they did a decent job, they called a lot of penalties but both teams were really undisciplined. The Holy Family student section (who were great for most of the games) waited for the Refs to come off the ice and yelled "how much did you get paid?" repetitively.
The weirdest penalty of the night came from a Benilde defenseman who stole Matt Andersons stick in the middle of a play.

Overall, I thought it was a good, fun game to watch. Peterson had an absolute rocket on the PP for the 1st goal for the Fire. It seemed to have sparked them back to life and the 2nd period was all them. I thought Peterson and Anderson were probably the two best players on the ice, while Holy Family's top line was better than Benilde's.
Gleekel, the Blake transfer, had two goals for Benilde and was probably the X factor in the game. After the top line of HF they really fall off depth wise while Benilde has a little extra, and that was probably the difference. Gleekel was effective using his size and thats how he scored his 2nd goal to tie it midway through the 3rd. The Fire could not seem to move him from the front of the net.

The final goal with just over a minute left was scored by Jungels from the top of the Umbrella on the Powerplay, Benilde moved the puck around until there was an open lane and ripped it upper corner glove side. Garin took the penalty that resulted in the goal with a late-ish open ice hit into a BSM player's back.
The Fire nearly scored with 5 seconds left as the puck was loose in the slot at Benilde's goalie was completely out of the net.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Excellent summary by green 4,but wondering what he is doing away from Braemar? Anyway agree it was one of the most entertaining games of the year. Expected a one goal game and it turned out to be a one goal game. Although there were many justified penalties during the game, I thought the one at the three-minute mark in a tie game was a little questionable and that's what resulted in the winning power-play goal. Of course the other question-whether holy familywould have beaten either Armstrong or Hopkins, or beaten BSM if they would've had the home ice advantage. We will never know I guess.onto the next rounD
RRubberbeeskit

Post by RRubberbeeskit »

green4 wrote:Garin had 4 penalties during the game, one after it was over. Regardless he could have had 8. He and both the coaches were letting the refs have it, I felt bad for them. I thought they did a decent job, they called a lot of penalties but both teams were really undisciplined. The Holy Family student section (who were great for most of the games) waited for the Refs to come off the ice and yelled "how much did you get paid?" repetitively.
The weirdest penalty of the night came from a Benilde defenseman who stole Matt Andersons stick in the middle of a play.

Overall, I thought it was a good, fun game to watch. Peterson had an absolute rocket on the PP for the 1st goal for the Fire. It seemed to have sparked them back to life and the 2nd period was all them. I thought Peterson and Anderson were probably the two best players on the ice, while Holy Family's top line was better than Benilde's.
Gleekel, the Blake transfer, had two goals for Benilde and was probably the X factor in the game. After the top line of HF they really fall off depth wise while Benilde has a little extra, and that was probably the difference. Gleekel was effective using his size and thats how he scored his 2nd goal to tie it midway through the 3rd. The Fire could not seem to move him from the front of the net

The final goal with just over a minute left was scored by Jungels from the top of the Umbrella on the Powerplay, Benilde moved the puck around until there was an open lane and ripped it upper corner glove side. Garin took the penalty that resulted in the goal with a late-ish open ice hit into a BSM player's back.
The Fire nearly scored with 5 seconds left as the puck was loose in the slot at Benilde's goalie was completely out of the net.
Green: Thanks for the recap. Sounds like it was a fun game to be at. It's too bad it wasn't a cleaner game but that's hockey. It could have gone either way I suspect. Congrats to HF on a solid season and best of luck to those that will move on to play at the next level.
Sotaboy

Post by Sotaboy »

My first bold pick...BSM wins the section!
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Sotaboy wrote:My first bold pick...BSM wins the section!
Bold indeed. I think the odds are against it. Have they won three games in a row all season against rated teams? It's certainly possible they can win the section, but inconsistency has been a problem for them.
C-dad

Post by C-dad »

WestMetro wrote:Excellent summary by green 4,but wondering what he is doing away from Braemar?
Why wouldn't he be? The Hornets weren't playing last night except for the 6 or 7 former Hornets (including the BSM Captains) who now skate for BSM. :wink:
OTB987

Post by OTB987 »

Tough call on which game to go - Way vs Hop or BSM vs HF but opted for the Catholics since I am Catholic and I missed Ash Wednesday so thought that might give me a little love from the guy upstairs.

I certainly picked an entertaining game to go and felt good about my $8 investment. The disappointing part was that there were 3 teams on the ice; HF, BSM and the Referees. It is my opinion that both teams were equally disadvantaged by excessive penalty calls but the flow of the game was the biggest victim as a result of the number of calls.

HF top line with #10 and #16 needs to be appreciated as one of the best in the state. I have seen a lot of games this year and I would put them up there as one of the best.

5 on 5 the game belonged to BSM. Not going to say it is BSM's depth or anything other than they had the edge when playing even strength. At least BSM was better on that given day.

Power play was tilted towards HF and "tilted" may not be a strong enough statement. HF talent coupled with maybe the PK style of BSM allowed HF to take a ton of shots and if you let #10/#16 along with #2/#18 have enough chances they will beat you.

#10,#64 and #11 for BSM were also good. They seem to benefit from BSM having the 4 seed and the last change so when 5 on 5 BSM would use #24 line against HF top line whenever possible and it was an effective strategy.

Goaltending was even. They both played good.

Crazy flurry at end of the game and would be interested in seeing a video or picture showing how HF did not score at the buzzer.

If the game was at HF I would suspect the outcome would be different so the seeding, fair or unfair, is very important and this game proved that - at least to this hockey watcher.

As for the student sections - fairly loud and entertaining. HF certainly made their opinions known about the calls when refs were getting off the ice.

Looking forward to the Tonka - Wayzata game on Saturday.
Rich Clarke

Post by Rich Clarke »

WestMetro wrote:Excellent summary by green 4,but wondering what he is doing away from Braemar? Anyway agree it was one of the most entertaining games of the year. Expected a one goal game and it turned out to be a one goal game. Although there were many justified penalties during the game, I thought the one at the three-minute mark in a tie game was a little questionable and that's what resulted in the winning power-play goal. Of course the other question-whether holy familywould have beaten either Armstrong or Hopkins, or beaten BSM if they would've had the home ice advantage. We will never know I guess.onto the next rounD
If the only way Holy Family could move onto the semis was to have been given a higher seed and easier first round game, they don't belong in the semis. For all the talk about how they were screwed in the seedings, they got badly out shot by an ordinary Benilde team and protected a third period 3-2 lead by taking four straight penalties. Home ice doesn't change that. And suggesting that the team should have had an easier game in the quarters suggests a lack of confidence it the team's true talent.
observer

Post by observer »

Bad coaching. Can't beat an equal or better team shorthanded. Stupidity is a tough way to lose a game.
OTB987

Post by OTB987 »

Rich Clarke wrote:
WestMetro wrote:Excellent summary by green 4,but wondering what he is doing away from Braemar? Anyway agree it was one of the most entertaining games of the year. Expected a one goal game and it turned out to be a one goal game. Although there were many justified penalties during the game, I thought the one at the three-minute mark in a tie game was a little questionable and that's what resulted in the winning power-play goal. Of course the other question-whether holy familywould have beaten either Armstrong or Hopkins, or beaten BSM if they would've had the home ice advantage. We will never know I guess.onto the next rounD
If the only way Holy Family could move onto the semis was to have been given a higher seed and easier first round game, they don't belong in the semis. For all the talk about how they were screwed in the seedings, they got badly out shot by an ordinary Benilde team and protected a third period 3-2 lead by taking four straight penalties. Home ice doesn't change that. And suggesting that the team should have had an easier game in the quarters suggests a lack of confidence it the team's true talent.
I would argue this is an UNORDINARY Benilde team as it relates to Benilde. No Besse, No Naas to go to when chips are down. They need to win with all their players buying in not just a few.

I would not argue that Benilde is an ORDINARY team as it relates to the rest of HS hockey excluding a couple of teams. Wayzata, Elk River, EP, Bemidji, Hill, STA, etc would all be considered ORDINARY too when I take a loose interpretation of your classification of ORDINARY.
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

How can a coach allow a player to take 4 penalties in any game, especially a playoff game. Should have figured things out after 25 games. From the outside I'd say very poor discipline and caring about the team.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Rich Clarke wrote:
Badly outshot is a complete exaggeration 27-37 is not badly out shot - Its a few shots a period- Who even knows if the shot count was accurate anyways - by my count they were both in the 30's.

Benilde has 1 State AA title to it's name in school history. Your saying they are ordinarily dominate or something? I would say they have been pretty ordinary for years, outside of a couple seasons.

Someone did mention this already - but there were 3 teams on that Ice..HF/BSM and the refs. Some dumb penalties on both sides - But the refs were overboard on some calls..