Duluth East at Cloquet

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

kniven

Duluth East at Cloquet

Post by kniven »

For me, it does not get any better than this matchup especially in Cloquet. The arena is always full- every seat full of fans, and fans standing full around the top cheering for the red or purple. Randolph in his corner and Esse in his. These two coaches have the ultimate respect for each and their respective athletes. It's the greatest, and I'm just glad I am a witness to such great high school hockey in our state of hockey, Minnesota :)))
crw

Post by crw »

Potentially a lot riding on this game..
Traxler

Post by Traxler »

Any analysis, kniven, on why Cloquet's been up and down this year? I read something in the Duluth Rag that indicated that Koby Bender was out early in the year possibly resulting in their losses, but even after he came back from injury they seem to win some games I would expect them to lose and then not show up for the next game.

I would be surprised if East can win this game based on what I've seen this year. That being said, both teams have surprised me multiple times this year.
boblee

Post by boblee »

I'm going to take Duluth East by a goal, but I don't feel good about it. My gut tells me Randolph is going to get the very best out of these guys the rest of the way. I don't think that very best is going to be all that special, but I think they will grab a big win over the Jacks and solidify a top four seed.
kniven

Post by kniven »

Traxler wrote:Any analysis, kniven, on why Cloquet's been up and down this year? I read something in the Duluth Rag that indicated that Koby Bender was out early in the year possibly resulting in their losses, but even after he came back from injury they seem to win some games I would expect them to lose and then not show up for the next game.

I would be surprised if East can win this game based on what I've seen this year. That being said, both teams have surprised me multiple times this year.
1. Our goaltending needed a lot of work the first half of the season and more. The goaltending has been getting a consistent effort the last several weeks. A junior and a sophomore.

2. Koby was out from the second game of the year to maybe after the Roseau game. And it took a few weeks to get his legs back under him. Injuries - 3 of our top 4 forwards have missed significant time this year due to injury. I thinks it probably been difficult to build good chemistry with guys like that in and out with injuries along with and occasional flu bug.

3. At our game against Marshall, from my perspective, that was the first game of the year that we have had all our horses.

4. No excuses. All I can say is that Koby Bender is very good. Our goaltending seems to be getting more consistent on the positive side of things. We seem to have our full roster intact.
Traxler

Post by Traxler »

kniven wrote:
Traxler wrote:Any analysis, kniven, on why Cloquet's been up and down this year? I read something in the Duluth Rag that indicated that Koby Bender was out early in the year possibly resulting in their losses, but even after he came back from injury they seem to win some games I would expect them to lose and then not show up for the next game.

1. Our goaltending needed a lot of work the first half of the season and more. The goaltending has been getting a consistent effort the last several weeks. A junior and a sophomore.

2. Koby was out from the second game of the year to maybe after the Roseau game. And it took a few weeks to get his legs back under him. Injuries - 3 of our top 4 forwards have missed significant time this year due to injury. I thinks it probably been difficult to build good chemistry with guys like that in and out with injuries along with and occasional flu bug.

3. At our game against Marshall, from my perspective, that was the first game of the year that we have had all our horses.

4. No excuses. All I can say is that Koby Bender is very good. Our goaltending seems to be getting more consistent on the positive side of things. We seem to have our full roster intact.
Thanks for the insight. I'm excited for the game on Monday. Wish I could be there.
pekyman

Post by pekyman »

Let's see how they do against Hermantown tonight. Back on Dec 2, Cloquet lost to Herm 0-8. Expecting a much closer game this time.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

pekyman wrote:Let's see how they do against Hermantown tonight. Back on Dec 2, Cloquet lost to Herm 0-8. Expecting a much closer game this time.
Much closer, HTown 7 CEC 1 (my prediction)
kniven

Post by kniven »

elliott70 wrote:
pekyman wrote:Let's see how they do against Hermantown tonight. Back on Dec 2, Cloquet lost to Herm 0-8. Expecting a much closer game this time.
Much closer, HTown 7 CEC 1 (my prediction)
This game is also CEC's senior night. Duluth East game that is ...Esse vs. Randolph. Lumberjack vs. Greyhound. I great nite of hockey at our house in Cloquet. The state of hockey in northern Minnesota!!!!!
north_bear

Post by north_bear »

Will there be a stream available? This is shaping up to be a hell of a game.
Thunderhawk Fanatic!!
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

Back in the mid-00s, this game eclipsed White Bear-Hill as the top rivalry in the state. Several thousand in the DECC for regular season games, huge fights, and vicious chants, big-time upsets...it was an all-out war.

But then Cloquet dropped off a bit, and while they still usually managed a good game a year and there was still plenty of intensity in the arena, it didn't quite mean as much when 7AA wasn't really on the line. The one year the Jacks had a good collection of talent (2013), they had some off-ice distractions that took the wind out of their sails.

But now, with Cloquet having beaten East last season, with East down some and the Jacks on a bit of a late season surge, and with a wide-open section...there's no reason this game should be back to the good old norm. This should be high school hockey at its best. I wish I could be there.
kniven

Post by kniven »

north_bear wrote:Will there be a stream available? This is shaping up to be a hell of a game.
Hi north_bear. I would love to stream this for hockey fans everywhere, but the AD at Cloquet shut me down from streaming. You can, however, go to www.cecboyshockey.com and listen to the audio stream.
kniven

Post by kniven »

karl(east) wrote:Back in the mid-00s, this game eclipsed White Bear-Hill as the top rivalry in the state. Several thousand in the DECC for regular season games, huge fights, and vicious chants, big-time upsets...it was an all-out war.

But then Cloquet dropped off a bit, and while they still usually managed a good game a year and there was still plenty of intensity in the arena, it didn't quite mean as much when 7AA wasn't really on the line. The one year the Jacks had a good collection of talent (2013), they had some off-ice distractions that took the wind out of their sails.

But now, with Cloquet having beaten East last season, with East down some and the Jacks on a bit of a late season surge, and with a wide-open section...there's no reason this game should be back to the good old norm. This should be high school hockey at its best. I wish I could be there.
Well said Karl. Yea, I tried to fight the ban. I gave the fight up though when money and politics were involved. I do what I do for the kids.
gitter

Post by gitter »

kniven wrote:
north_bear wrote:Will there be a stream available? This is shaping up to be a hell of a game.
Hi north_bear. I would love to stream this for hockey fans everywhere, but the AD at Cloquet shut me down from streaming. You can, however, go to www.cecboyshockey.com and listen to the audio stream.
Well that's unfortunate. Just for home games, or away games also?
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

This game is going to be streamed on www.ifan.tv
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine
kniven

Post by kniven »

TheHockeyDJ wrote:This game is going to be streamed on www.ifan.tv
Really? I don't see it listed on their webcast schedule yet.
kniven

Post by kniven »

gitter wrote:
kniven wrote:
Streaming away games is so unpredictable. Good internet access and power are usually not good enough to stream
gitter

Post by gitter »

TheHockeyDJ wrote:This game is going to be streamed on www.ifan.tv
Am I missing something? I don't see it listed on the website anywhere...
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

kniven wrote:
gitter wrote:
kniven wrote: Hi north_bear. I would love to stream this for hockey fans everywhere, but the AD at Cloquet shut me down from streaming. You can, however, go to www.cecboyshockey.com and listen to the audio stream.
Streaming away games is so unpredictable. Good internet access and power are usually not good enough to stream
Fire the AD!!! :P Boo!
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

Looks like they deleted it. Not the first time its happened.
kniven

Post by kniven »

TheHockeyDJ wrote:Looks like they deleted it. Not the first time its happened.
Yea. I'm sure the got a big "no' from the AD.
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

kniven wrote:
Sounds like this AD is a tool.
kniven

Post by kniven »

TheHockeyDJ wrote:
kniven wrote:
He's a nice guy actually. He's also the head coach for Cloquet's high school football team.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

Just sent the AD a polite but disappointed email. Might be too late to get anything done, but it's worth a try.
rainier

Post by rainier »

kniven wrote:
TheHockeyDJ wrote:
kniven wrote: Yea. I'm sure the got a big "no' from the AD.
He's a nice guy actually. He's also the head coach for Cloquet's high school football team.
What is the rationale given for not allowing these games to be streamed? I don't get why an AD would be against this.