Grand Rapids at Hermantown

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins?

HTown by a ton.
37%
HTown.
47%
Grand Rapids with a lucky bounce.
No votes
Or THawks finally get it together for a nice win.
16%

Total votes: 19

elliott70

Grand Rapids at Hermantown

Post by elliott70 »

Who wins?
gitter

Post by gitter »

It would be a nice win for GR, but I'm taking the Class A in this one.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

Bruce Plante and the "Class A public school champs"....4-1
kniven

Re: Grand Rapids at Hermantown

Post by kniven »

elliott70 wrote:Who wins?

I have many friends in who live inHermantown. They all tell me Hermantown hockey is single A because they can't compete with double AA. I disagree, but he must know something. Grand Rapids is AA and Hermantown is A. = AA beats A according to my friend.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

kniven wrote:

I have many friends in who live inHermantown. They all tell me Hermantown hockey is single A because they can't compete with double AA. I disagree, but he must know something. Grand Rapids is AA and Hermantown is A. = AA beats A according to my friend.
I have a nephew that plays youth hockey for a AA HTown team. I am not sure how he and his parents feel about it.
But now that you have me thinking I am going to ask them (and my close friend, Jim Knapp, that lives in HT and knows a bit about hockey).
Froggy Richards

Post by Froggy Richards »

kniven wrote:

It's all BS. If that were true then they wouldn't be AA in Bantam and Peewee. They are chasing trips to State and Trophies, just like STA was. The difference is that STA figured it out after awhile.

Hermantown draws players from an area 10 times the size of Rapids and Cloquet and AA seems to work just fine for them. Not to mention Roseau, which is tiny in comparison.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Froggy Richards wrote:
kniven wrote:

It's all BS. If that were true then they wouldn't be AA in Bantam and Peewee. They are chasing trips to State and Trophies, just like STA was. The difference is that STA figured it out after awhile.

Hermantown draws players from an area 10 times the size of Rapids and Cloquet and AA seems to work just fine for them. Not to mention Roseau, which is tiny in comparison.

Tiny anyway you look at it.
:D
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

MSHSL enrollments:
Hermantown 615
Cloquet 586
Grand Rapids 941
Roseau. 371
As far as hockey resources like quality feeder program how would you rank these 4 programs?
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

kniven wrote:

Remember this AA team is a below .500 AA team.
pekyman

Post by pekyman »

Froggy Richards wrote:
kniven wrote:

You sure seem bitter. Beaten by the small school one too many times?
You also like to spew quite a bit of BS yourself.
pekyman

Post by pekyman »

alcloseshaver wrote:MSHSL enrollments:
Hermantown 615
Cloquet 586
Grand Rapids 941
Roseau. 371
As far as hockey resources like quality feeder program how would you rank these 4 programs?
I think you are missing the Esko/Carlton part.
It's CEC as in Cloquet, Esko and Carlton.
Karson Kuhlman, UMD Bulldog is from Esko you know.
Played for Cloquet.
pekyman

Post by pekyman »

pekyman wrote:
Froggy Richards wrote:
kniven wrote:

As far as Roseau, did you know that thier program has 3 sheets of indoor ice and that one of them, the NORTH RINK, is open 365 days a year.
Many in their program attribute the success of the team there in large part to that rink. That's what I have heard anyway.
FYI, Hermantown has 1 sheet of indoor ice for its entire High School Boys and Girls program and Youth Hockey.
Froggy Richards

pekyman wrote:
Froggy Richards wrote:
kniven wrote:

Which part of my post is BS? You left that part out.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

pekyman wrote:
Hermantown 615
Cloquet 586
Grand Rapids 941
Roseau. 371
Played for Cloquet.
Esko 367
Carlton 117
Cloquet 586
Total 1070
pekyman

Post by pekyman »

Froggy Richards wrote:
pekyman wrote:
Froggy Richards wrote: It's all BS. If that were true then they wouldn't be AA in Bantam and Peewee. They are chasing trips to State and Trophies, just like STA was. The difference is that STA figured it out after awhile.

Pretty much all of it.
pekyman

Post by pekyman »

elliott70 wrote:
pekyman wrote:
Hermantown 615
Cloquet 586
Grand Rapids 941
Roseau. 371
Played for Cloquet.
Esko 367
Carlton 117
Cloquet 586
Total 1070
Thank you
Froggy Richards

pekyman wrote:
Froggy Richards wrote:
pekyman wrote: You sure seem bitter. Beaten by the small school one too many times?
Pretty much all of it.
That's what I thought, so in other words you can't dispute any of it.
hadenuf

Post by hadenuf »

There is an easy fix to the problem with Hermantown. The "AA" schools should refuse to play them. Let's see how many kids want to play a schedule full of the Greenway's and Moose Lake's :lol: (sorry Rebels, no dis intended).
Froggy Richards

Hermantown 615
Cloquet 586
Grand Rapids 941
Roseau. 371
Enrollments are only a small part of the story. Herb Brooks always said the key was the base of the Pyramid.

Number of Mite Teams:

Hermantown - 10
Rapids - 7
CEC - Not listed, probably in the 7-8 range.
Roseau - 3

Hermantown also pulls in several top players at the Youth level from Gary-Morgan Park and Piedmont in Duluth. A few from Proctor and Twig as well.
NLHockey

Post by NLHockey »

hadenuf wrote:There is an easy fix to the problem with Hermantown. The "AA" schools should refuse to play them. Let's see how many kids want to play a schedule full of the Greenway's and Moose Lake's :lol: (sorry Rebels, no dis intended).
:idea: Randolph is on to something
Froggy Richards

pekyman wrote:
pekyman wrote:
Froggy Richards wrote: It's all BS. If that were true then they wouldn't be AA in Bantam and Peewee. They are chasing trips to State and Trophies, just like STA was. The difference is that STA figured it out after awhile.

As far as Roseau, did you know that thier program has 3 sheets of indoor ice and that one of them, the NORTH RINK, is open 365 days a year.
Many in their program attribute the success of the team there in large part to that rink. That's what I have heard anyway.
FYI, Hermantown has 1 sheet of indoor ice for its entire High School Boys and Girls program and Youth Hockey.
Wrong. Hermantown Girls co-op with Proctor at the High School and Youth level and use their rink 50% of the time. Doesn't matter anyway. Ice is ice, indoors or out.
Last edited by Froggy Richards on Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

Froggy Richards wrote:
Hermantown 615
Cloquet 586
Grand Rapids 941
Roseau. 371
Enrollments are only a small part of the story. Herb Brooks always said the key was the base of the Pyramid.

Number of Mite Teams:

Hermantown - 10
Rapids - 7
Roseau - 3

Hermantown also pulls in several top players at the Youth level from Gary-Morgan Park and Piedmont in Duluth. A few from Proctor and Twig as well.
They recruit don't let Plante fool you. I like hadenuf's idea a lot.
HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher »

Froggy Richards wrote:They are chasing trips to State and Trophies...
Isn't that the point?
pekyman

Post by pekyman »

Froggy Richards wrote:
Hermantown 615
Cloquet 586
Grand Rapids 941
Roseau. 371

Number of Mite Teams:

Hermantown - 10
Rapids - 7
Roseau - 3

Herm has 3 Bantam teams same as GR. Many years there are 2.
This season Bantam AA is 6-17-2 with losses to GR, East, Cloquet and many others. Don't worry so much I think after this year your going to see a much weaker Hawks team.
pekyman

Post by pekyman »

Froggy Richards wrote:
pekyman wrote:
pekyman wrote: You sure seem bitter. Beaten by the small school one too many times?
Wrong. Hermantown Girls co-op with Proctor at the High School and Youth level and use their rink 50% of the time. Doesn't matter anyway. Ice is ice, indoors or out.
Last time I checked outdoor ice was susceptible to changes in the weather whereas indoor ice is pretty much available all year long.