Grand Rapids at Hermantown

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins?

HTown by a ton.
37%
HTown.
47%
Grand Rapids with a lucky bounce.
No votes
Or THawks finally get it together for a nice win.
16%

Total votes: 19

HSH1212

Post by HSH1212 »

Honestly, this score confirms my suspicion all season. The best two teams in Northern Minnesota are Hermantown and Duluth Marshall and both are A teams. DM has now beaten GR two years in a row and I can't remember the last time Hermantown lost to them. Both Hermantown and Marshall also have beaten Cloquet with ease over the years. East has not been impressive this year at all. This is exactly why anyone in 7AA begrudging Duluth Marshall and Hermantown for playing A has to be careful what they wish for. DM will be immediately relevant in 7AA next year (if not the team in 7AA to beat along with Elk River) and if Hermantown ever opts up, we will be being seeing a lot less of Duluth East at the State Tournament.
pekyman

Post by pekyman »

NLHockey wrote:
Slammer wrote:Rapids is terrible. Ab

solutely terrible.[/q

:oops: unreal :roll:
Gotta hand it to Bruce - he has his teams hungry and ready for each and every game. Losing in not an option. Impressively, he is able to motivate each kid to give his all.
Now that is an accurate statement about coach Plante.
Rapids fans should not feel too bad. They got beat by a very good team that seems to be getting better with each game. Good luck against East and just be happy you don't have to face Hermantown in sections :wink:
Nuts&Bolts

Post by Nuts&Bolts »

GR 'easily' could have won tonight had Hermantown played Moorhead in the Sports Authority tournament and had the entire varsity team suspended for the game tonught. Spin the record DJ let's hear what you got.
HockeyStorm

Post by HockeyStorm »

HSH1212 wrote:Honestly, this score confirms my suspicion all season. The best two teams in Northern Minnesota are Hermantown and Duluth Marshall and both are A teams. DM has now beaten GR two years in a row and I can't remember the last time Hermantown lost to them. Both Hermantown and Marshall also have beaten Cloquet with ease over the years. East has not been impressive this year at all. This is exactly why anyone in 7AA begrudging Duluth Marshall and Hermantown for playing A has to be careful what they wish for. DM will be immediately relevant in 7AA next year (if not the team in 7AA to beat along with Elk River) and if Hermantown ever opts up, we will be being seeing a lot less of Duluth East at the State Tournament.
Don't forget about Cloquet, they seem to be turning up the wick as of late.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Might as well face the music, GR is just not very good this year. With their recent record, what class their opponents are in really hasn't mattered very much. That said, the season is far from over. Section 7AA is weak, and with a couple of wins when it really counts they still have a chance to get to state.
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

didnt get to watch this one...thankfully. Not much one can say with this result. East and CEC are next, wait and see what happens. The future is bright for GR the next few seasons. I dont think it was unreasonable to have high hopes after the first four games. I'd never seen Rapids ever dominate at Bemidji and FL the way they did on the road this year. Even the Patrick White teams never made that big of a statement to open a season.
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine
Slammer

Post by Slammer »

lol...
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

HSH1212 wrote:Honestly, this score confirms my suspicion all season. The best two teams in Northern Minnesota are Hermantown and Duluth Marshall and both are A teams. DM has now beaten GR two years in a row and I can't remember the last time Hermantown lost to them. Both Hermantown and Marshall also have beaten Cloquet with ease over the years. East has not been impressive this year at all. This is exactly why anyone in 7AA begrudging Duluth Marshall and Hermantown for playing A has to be careful what they wish for. DM will be immediately relevant in 7AA next year (if not the team in 7AA to beat along with Elk River) and if Hermantown ever opts up, we will be being seeing a lot less of Duluth East at the State Tournament.
Actually I believe Rapids won in OT two years ago in Hermantown and won again last year at home on a strong game by Avery Peterson. Prior to those two I think Htown had a winning streak going.
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine
Edinahopkins

Post by Edinahopkins »

It's simple coach Joe Broking
Otherwise keep getting killed
With all the talent that nobody
Knows Rapids has , predicting if he don't
Become coach rapids is finally going to lose kids
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Edinahopkins wrote:It's simple coach Joe Broking
The hockeyDJ with his optimistic glasses is easy to understand, but why would the Bantam assistant coach come on here and hype his buddy?

EdinaHopkins, really??

:? :(
grandindian

Post by grandindian »

elliott70 wrote:
The hockeyDJ with his optimistic glasses is easy to understand, but why would the Bantam assistant coach come on here and hype his buddy?

EdinaHopkins, really??

Someone is sure pushing an agenda. While I am sure Broking is a fine coach the leap in logic here is amusing. No ones buying it.
NLHockey

Post by NLHockey »

grandindian wrote:
elliott70 wrote:

EdinaHopkins, really??

Someone is sure pushing an agenda. While I am sure Broking is a fine coach the leap in logic here is amusing. No ones buying it.
:lol: Haiku form is improving
grandindian

Post by grandindian »

NLHockey wrote:
grandindian wrote:
elliott70 wrote: The hockeyDJ with his optimistic glasses is easy to understand, but why would the Bantam assistant coach come on here and hype his buddy?

EdinaHopkins, really??

Haha! Thanks for the chuckle NLHockey. Honorable Haiku too transparent.
NLHockey

Post by NLHockey »

grandindian wrote:
NLHockey wrote:
grandindian wrote:

Haha! Thanks for the chuckle NLHockey. Honorable Haiku too transparent.
I'm a fan of limericks myself - there was someone on here years ago that did a great hilarious Christmas poem - wonder if Karl could find that. In all seriousness, I don't think coaching is the issue - but I'm no expert. Too much "I" and not enough "we" and you can't coach the will to win as a team. I hope that the youngsters realize that there isn't always next year, no matter who you think is coming up from Bantams to save the team (if Shepard and Peterson couldn't make it happen...) players leave, get hurt, other teams get better. Next year is no guarantee - get on it NOW, section 7AA will never be more up for grabs than it is this year.
boblee

Post by boblee »

Grand Rapids beat Hermantown last season.

http://grhshockey.com/teams/default.asp ... &archTog=1
boblee

Post by boblee »

You must be off your meds.
Edinahopkins

Post by Edinahopkins »

Let's look at great teams edina for one
What do they have an amazing coach
John is a great guy but not a coach ,
You are not going to win by not coaching
Having fun is his game plan but are they really
Having fun right now , Joe is a great coach
Why you say my kid played for him .
He taught more then being a great hockey player
He gets them ready for life after hockey he
Gets the most out of them period . Just saying
We need a coach .
hawkenjonny

Post by hawkenjonny »

Have to agree with NLHockey. I have been involved with GR hockey at all levels in several capacities but what I am seeing on our current high school team is peewee/bantam mentality. Too many 'cute' moves and passes that are being shut down. Need better positioning and a drive to the net mind set as opposed to the dangle highlight reel lookatme style of play. Young yes, but time to step up and play HS hockey if you expect to go anywhere but home this year come playoff time. Even in a 'weak' :roll: section.
NLHockey

Post by NLHockey »

hawkenjonny wrote:Have to agree with NLHockey. I have been involved with GR hockey at all levels in several capacities but what I am seeing on our current high school team is peewee/bantam mentality. Too many 'cute' moves and passes that are being shut down. Need better positioning and a drive to the net mind set as opposed to the dangle highlight reel lookatme style of play. Young yes, but time to step up and play HS hockey if you expect to go anywhere but home this year come playoff time. Even in a 'weak' :roll: section.
Yep - IMHO, ALL the players need to stop reading their own press clippings, "stars of the game" assigned by some guy in Fargo (no offense meant, I'm sure much effort/thought goes into this), tune out the distractions, dig deep even when it isn't easy, and pay more attention to the team and the win column. Be a lot more fun sitting at the XCel in March than watching a guy or two play juniors postseason. Do THAT, and still lose, THEN I will accept that this team isn't good enough. Until then.....there's still hope.
boblee

Post by boblee »

NLHockey wrote:
hawkenjonny wrote:Have to agree with NLHockey. I have been involved with GR hockey at all levels in several capacities but what I am seeing on our current high school team is peewee/bantam mentality. Too many 'cute' moves and passes that are being shut down. Need better positioning and a drive to the net mind set as opposed to the dangle highlight reel lookatme style of play. Young yes, but time to step up and play HS hockey if you expect to go anywhere but home this year come playoff time. Even in a 'weak' :roll: section.
Yep - IMHO, ALL the players need to stop reading their own press clippings, "stars of the game" assigned by some guy in Fargo (no offense meant, I'm sure much effort/thought goes into this), tune out the distractions, dig deep even when it isn't easy, and pay more attention to the team and the win column. Be a lot more fun sitting at the XCel in March than watching a guy or two play juniors postseason. Do THAT, and still lose, THEN I will accept that this team isn't good enough. Until then.....there's still hope.
"Some guy in Fargo" puts in way more work than you'd probably ever imagine and watches virtually every minute of every game. Also, "some guy in Fargo writes many of the game stories, but that doesn't mean he is selecting the three stars of the game. Grand Rapids is lucky to have the best run high school hockey website in the country. If the kids get in a tizzy over the stars of the game, their issues are pretty deep. And if they are paying that much attention, they'll notice that the three stars are pretty commonly from the other team this season.

If you are trying to correlate the team having a strong website/social media presence and a deep following to them losing, then I think you're nuts.
hawkenjonny

Post by hawkenjonny »

No issue with good media for GR regardless of where it originates if it is knowledgable. Missing my point maybe? The players need to quit worrying about their own dangle and celly and start worrying about where their team is. I do not think ability is the issue, perhaps maturity? Leadership? Attitude? I do not see the problem as being rooted in any website etc. TEAM mentality and focus. Will to win and fight for the win seem to be lacking. Maybe just my perception.
NLHockey

Post by NLHockey »

hawkenjonny wrote:No issue with good media for GR regardless of where it originates if it is knowledgable. Missing my point maybe? The players need to quit worrying about their own dangle and celly and start worrying about where their team is. I do not think ability is the issue, perhaps maturity? Leadership? Attitude? I do not see the problem as being rooted in any website etc. TEAM mentality and focus. Will to win and fight for the win seem to be lacking. Maybe just my perception.
Which is why I prefaced with "no offense meant". Yikes. Hit a nerve, apparently. It is a very nice website, agreed. You completely missed the point.
Last edited by NLHockey on Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
boblee

Post by boblee »

NLHockey wrote:
hawkenjonny wrote:No issue with good media for GR regardless of where it originates if it is knowledgable. Missing my point maybe? The players need to quit worrying about their own dangle and celly and start worrying about where their team is. I do not think ability is the issue, perhaps maturity? Leadership? Attitude? I do not see the problem as being rooted in any website etc. TEAM mentality and focus. Will to win and fight for the win seem to be lacking. Maybe just my perception.
Which is why I prefaced with "no offense meant". Yikes. Hit a nerve, apparently. Very nice website, agreed. My point: TEAM, not individual.
Maybe that came across misdirected. The intent wasn't towards anyone on here, but believe me we hear it. Parents will complain to us, players will occasionally tweet or send a text in complaint. That isn't what it's all about.

Players need to go out and play a team game, coaches coach, parents be parents, and fans be fans.

I truly could not agree more in regards to your comments as to why this club is struggling. It is very disappointing.
boblee

Post by boblee »

Team mentality appears from the outside to be lacking. I totally agree. And see my other post as to what was meant by the previous post of mine. Sometimes meaning or direction gets lost on the internet.
NLHockey

Post by NLHockey »

boblee wrote:
NLHockey wrote:
Which is why I prefaced with "no offense meant". Yikes. Hit a nerve, apparently. Very nice website, agreed. My point: TEAM, not individual.
Maybe that came across misdirected. The intent wasn't towards anyone on here, but believe me we hear it. Parents will complain to us, players will occasionally tweet or send a text in complaint. That isn't what it's all about.

Players need to go out and play a team game, coaches coach, parents be parents, and fans be fans.

I truly could not agree more in regards to your comments as to why this club is struggling. It is very disappointing.
Your work is much appreciated and a fun read, especially when they are winning, I have to admit. Kids will be kids, though and they notice it. Parents see it as a marketing tool (or menace depending on the direction of the criticism) - it was not my intent to offend - I've stated my opinion, now I shall go back to casual observer