Percent chance LVN does not lose a game.

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

% chance LVN does not lose a game

>80%
32%
60% -80%
15%
40%-60%
8%
20%-40%
12%
<10%
32%

Total votes: 59

edgeless2

Post by edgeless2 »

Sats- Getting a little salty, I like it!
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

For the third time, I promised myself to stay away from this thread and also not to venture again to South Metro for a while.

Violated both again tonite, and watched the Panthers take care of their most likely impediment to 25-0, beating BVL at home 3 to 0 including an empty
netter

Was surprised at number of empty seats on the BVL side, but they may have sold out their capacity since lots of standers

BVL kept things close with some decent neutral ice disruption on the smaller rink, and Lubby grabbing some good snipes. And you gotta like Ahcan, I could watch him play every night.

BVL had some good quality looks , but Edquist shut them down.

Max Johnson took a couple penalities including a major with about 4 minutes left of period 3, although announcer garbled the call so I never did hear the specifics. Nick took a cheapo minor earlier in the game, was not happy about it, I was seated right behind the box and Lakeville moms covering ears at the language.

Later, he made up for it with a goal.

All in all, Panthers took care of business and the march continues. See you at Shakopee 4 pm February 14 for the 25th.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

WestMetro wrote:For the third time, I promised myself to stay away from this thread and also not to venture again to South Metro for a while.

Violated both again tonite, and watched the Panthers take care of their most likely impediment to 25-0, beating BVL at home 3 to 0 including an empty
netter

Was surprised at number of empty seats on the BVL side, but they may have sold out their capacity since lots of standers

BVL kept things close with some decent neutral ice disruption on the smaller rink, and Lubby grabbing some good snipes. And you gotta like Ahcan, I could watch him play every night.

BVL had some good quality looks , but Edquist shut them down.

Max Johnson took a couple penalities including a major with about 4 minutes left of period 3, although announcer garbled the call so I never did hear the specifics. Nick took a cheapo minor earlier in the game, was not happy about it, I was seated right behind the box and Lakeville moms covering ears at the language.

Later, he made up for it with a goal.

All in all, Panthers took care of business and the march continues. See you at Shakopee 4 pm February 14 for the 25th.
West Metro-

I am beginning to think you may be the cheerleading coach?!?

According to Chris "Know Nothing" Dilks, LN is tough to cheer for because of their "cheap play" and "whining to officials".

Chris is tough to listen to because of the BS he spews.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

No cheerleading. Just the facts as I see them. Both the facts in front of me, and things I can try to project forward.

Have no loyalty to any particular team, just roaming around to the best hockey games from corner to corner of the metro.

I am excited for Minnesota hockey history to have 5 kids decide to stay with MSHSL and forgo juniors , in order to have a shot at a 25-0 season and a state title.

And then the Burnsville Braves gathered up their motivation and depleted post Boeser talent base to put up a good game and keep the margin close. Just as theyve done all year. And the best on ice display of all is Jack Ahcan, a kid a little shorter in stature with the best pure hockey talent skating with giants all around him, and perform he did! I didnt see any hint of intimidiation in his eyes, and I noticed the Panthers gave him the respect he deserves.

Who can ask for more in terms of a high skill high performance athletic event for 16-18 year old kids at the top of their game.

(In terms of Dilks and others' comments including some that Ive made in the same vein myself, those more relate to individuals on ice style rather than the team success. There can be no doubt about team success and potential. But, earlier in the Mr Hockey thread, I mentioned that those individual on ice style issues could impact the final winner selection.)
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

WestMetro wrote:No cheerleading. Just the facts as I see them. Both the facts in front of me, and things I can try to project forward.

Have no loyalty to any particular team, just roaming around to the best hockey games from corner to corner of the metro.

I am excited for Minnesota hockey history to have 5 kids decide to stay with MSHSL and forgo juniors , in order to have a shot at a 25-0 season and a state title.

And then the Burnsville Braves gathered up their motivation and depleted post Boeser talent base to put up a good game and keep the margin close. Just as theyve done all year. And the best on ice display of all is Jack Ahcan, a kid a little shorter in stature with the best pure hockey talent skating with giants all around him, and perform he did! I didnt see any hint of intimidiation in his eyes, and I noticed the Panthers gave him the respect he deserves.

Who can ask for more in terms of a high skill high performance athletic event for 16-18 year old kids at the top of their game.

(In terms of Dilks and others' comments including some that Ive made in the same vein myself, those more relate to individuals on ice style rather than the team success. There can be no doubt about team success and potential. But, earlier in the Mr Hockey thread, I mentioned that those individual on ice style issues could impact the final winner selection.)
West Metro-

Could you give me some examples of this? From this season? Just curious.
cake83

Post by cake83 »

I just read this thread for the first time, and although the bickering has been fun, I wanted to ask a question about something people were claiming earlier in the replies...

I saw a small argument break out over whether LN going undefeated will make them one of the best teams of all time or of the modern era or whatever.

I recently rewatched the championship game from last year and it really was one of the most one-sided contests I can ever remember watching on Saturday night in March. Edina didn't just get lucky bounces, they controlled the puck, the pace, and dictated the game from start to finish. The refs didn't even drop the puck with a minute of clock left and just let the running time close out the season.

I get that LN is a much better team this year, but Edina is significantly worse this year than they were last and still skated a close game with them on the road. I still hear plenty of people that think Edina could beat LN on neutral ice today. I could be wrong and if you disagree, please remain respectful, but wouldn't last year's Hornets team with Zuhlsdorf, Bellows, Munson, Fidler, and Nanne be likely to crush the Panthers again this year?

One more thing, after the regular season ended last year, Edina went on to win their section and the state title by outscoring teams a combined 30-7 (average score would be 6-1.4). An undefeated regular season would be a real neat accomplishment, but I don't even think they are the best HS team of the last two years, let alone one of the greatest ever.
Last edited by cake83 on Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nahc

Post by nahc »

Cake, spoken like a true eater of the dessert!!! I agree though that Edina's team from last year was pretty darn good!!!!!!!!
Froggy Richards

Post by Froggy Richards »

cake83 wrote:I just read this thread for the first time, and although the bickering has been fun, I wanted to ask a question about something people were claiming earlier in the replies...

I saw a small argument break out over whether LN going undefeated will make them one of the best teams of all time or of the modern era or whatever.

I recently rewatched the championship game from last year and it really was one of the most one-sided contests I can ever remember watching on Saturday night in March. Edina didn't just get lucky bounces, they controlled the puck, the pace, and dictated the game from start to finish. The refs didn't even drop the puck with a minute of clock left and just let the running time close out the season.

I get that LN is a much better team this year, but Edina is significantly worse this year than they were last and still skated a close game with them on the road. I still hear plenty of people that think Edina could beat LN on neutral ice today. I could be wrong and if you disagree, please remain respectful, but wouldn't last year's Hornets team with Zuhlsdorf, Bellows, Munson, Fidler, and Nanne be likely to crush the Panthers again this year?

One more thing, after the regular season ended last year, Edina went on to win their section and the state title by outscoring teams a combined 30-7 (average score would be 6-1.4). An undefeated regular season would be a real neat accomplishment, but I don't even think they are the best HS team of the last two years, let alone one of the greatest ever.
Obviously the key is going undefeated. If Edina's team last year was undefeated they would be in the conversation, but they weren't. Right or wrong that's just how it is.
cake83

Post by cake83 »

Froggy Richards wrote: Obviously the key is going undefeated. If Edina's team last year was undefeated they would be in the conversation, but they weren't. Right or wrong that's just how it is.
I don't think I agree. Teams win championships all the time without having the best regular season record or statistical accomplishments. Across seasons, strength of schedule becomes hard to compare. The general strength of other programs changes. When and where you play someone can be all the difference.

Sometimes coaches will play with lines or play a different goalie for a night or two, or an injury might cause a slump during the season, and sometimes teams just get lucky/unlucky. A perfect season is great, but I don't think you credit them as a better team historically over teams that had a few losses. You have to measure the product on the ice by more than a statistical anomaly.
Traxler

Post by Traxler »

This thread started as just a question about how likely LVN is to run the table. After several responses Tenoverpar made the ridiculous comment that they may be in the discussion for best team of all time. Venomous objection to that statement ensued. Now it seems that this thread has devolved into a question of whether they're the best of all time.

I agree with cake83 (as much as it pains me to agree with an Edina fan) that last year's Edina team is better than this year's Lakeville North team. I also don't think that you have to be undefeated to be the best team of all time. I also think Duluth East's 2011-2012 team was better than this year's Lakeville North team even though they lost to Lakeville South in the quarters.

I hope Lakeville North wins all their games. Not because I think they will lay claim to the best team in the history of MN High School Hockey, but because it will mean that Edina won't win their 3rd straight title. :)
GoldenBear

Post by GoldenBear »

I think they will lose tonight GB
Traxler

Post by Traxler »

GoldenBear wrote:I think they will lose tonight GB
That would be impressive if Prior Lake can beat Lakeville North but can't handle Rosemount...
GoldenBear

Post by GoldenBear »

US beat Russians.
Traxler

Post by Traxler »

GoldenBear wrote:US beat Russians.
I doubt the Prior Lake coach has skated his team as much as Herb Brooks skated his.
GoldenBear

Post by GoldenBear »

Good point. I will hedge my bet and say Wayzata beats Edina then.
Traxler

Post by Traxler »

GoldenBear wrote:Good point. I will hedge my bet and say Wayzata beats Edina then.
I can certainly cheer for that!
green4

Post by green4 »

Froggy Richards wrote:
cake83 wrote:I just read this thread for the first time, and although the bickering has been fun, I wanted to ask a question about something people were claiming earlier in the replies...

Obviously the key is going undefeated. If Edina's team last year was undefeated they would be in the conversation, but they weren't. Right or wrong that's just how it is.
You can call me biased if you want, but I completely disagree. I'm not sure if they were one of the best teams in the era of players leaving early, but to say they don't belong because they weren't "undefeated" is a joke.
Take a look at that team, they returned 8 players (8!!!) from the team before them! They lost 10 players to graduation including 5 defenseman and their starting goalie. On top of that, their best player, Connor Hurley leaves early.
Yeah, they still had Malmquist, but you had to wonder if he would still be as dynamic without Hurley setting him up. After Malmquist, the leading returning point scorer is Tyler Nanne with only 19, but they move him back to defense because of the loss at graduation. (People were skeptical at first, but this was a good move). Munson was next with 16, Fidler only had 11!

They had no business going undefeated with that many new players last year, but they played the hardest schedule in the state and still won 20 regular season games.
The stats that cake83 provided show how good this team was, and just because they did not go undefeated does not mean they should not be in contention for one of the best teams in this recent era.
green4

Post by green4 »

Oooh, I also have an odd feeling about the game tonight between North and PL. I don't know if the Lakers will win, but I think they will give them a real tight one.

I will go complete opposite of their first meeting, 2-1 Lakers.

With that said, I hope North wins, I want to see them undefeated until they get to the state championship and lose to Edina 8-2
nahc

Post by nahc »

Thrusday night results Lakeville North 4 Prior Lake 1. Prior Lake didn't score until they were down 4 goals. Norths number 1 line did not register a point and North still took it to Prior Lake. North's goalie is the real thing and if he continues to play the way he currently is, North will be VERY difficult to beat the rest of the season including the tourney......!!!
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

This blog needs a new title. Or a spinoff: Will LVN beat Edina on March 7?

Absent an act of god or multiple key injuries, the Panthers will win 25, then 28, then 30. Only remaining question is the 31st game against Edina at the X on March 7

Edina has been on a long run, just like LVN. Recently crushed EP and Wayz

Last years championship game, and talent comparison, is mute at this point.

For this years rematch, Panthers have an edge in goaltending, first D pair, slight edge in 2nd DP pair. First lines both are spectacular, second lines quite even but slight edge to Edina, 3rd and 4th edge to Edina. PP edge to LV and PK edge to Edina. Coaching and rink size edge to Edina.

Game outcome will likely ride on the goaltender, neither has X playing experience. Boe was there last year on the bench. But Edquist has more big game experience in more venues.

I guess with this kind of parity, a person has to look at the hard evidence of the December 4th Panther win. So give the nod to the Panthers. Although that was home ice, on large rink, and only a 1 goal win.

Keys : For Edina, Boe remain steady and not give up any early goals.

For Panthers, key people stay out of penalty box. Dont respond to
Mishmash taunts
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

WestMetro wrote:This blog needs a new title. Or a spinoff: Will LVN beat Edina on March 7?

Absent an act of god or multiple key injuries, the Panthers will win 25, then 28, then 30. Only remaining question is the 31st game against Edina at the X on March 7

Edina has been on a long run, just like LVN. Recently crushed EP and Wayz

Last years championship game, and talent comparison, is mute at this point.

For this years rematch, Panthers have an edge in goaltending, first D pair, slight edge in 2nd DP pair. First lines both are spectacular, second lines quite even but slight edge to Edina, 3rd and 4th edge to Edina. PP edge to LV and PK edge to Edina. Coaching and rink size edge to Edina.

Game outcome will likely ride on the goaltender, neither has X playing experience. Boe was there last year on the bench. But Edquist has more big game experience in more venues.

I guess with this kind of parity, a person has to look at the hard evidence of the December 4th Panther win. So give the nod to the Panthers. Although that was home ice, on large rink, and only a 1 goal win.

Keys : For Edina, Boe remain steady and not give up any early goals.

For Panthers, key people stay out of penalty box. Dont respond to
Mishmash taunts
Spot on assessment other than giving 2nd line nod to Edina. Don't think there is a 2nd line in MN as good as LN
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

As I said , 2nd lines are quite even. I would have said a couple weeks ago slight edge to LVN. But then I saw in person how Edina crushed both EP and Wayz, so I give slight nod to Edina. But wouldnt take too much to persuade me 2nd three are dead even also.....
green4

Post by green4 »

nahc wrote:North still took it to Prior Lake.
I was at the game, shots were even and I thought the play was pretty even. It's clear North is the better, more skilled team, but they didn't take it to PL really.
nahc

Post by nahc »

I stand corrected. The game was pretty even shot wise. North was up 4-0 though at one point and was never really challenged but they did not blow out a VERY good Prior Lake squad.

Final score today: North 7 Eagan 3. The only thing that kept this game as close as it was were the 10 penalties the Panthers took........
almostashappy

Post by almostashappy »

nahc wrote:I stand corrected. The game was pretty even shot wise. North was up 4-0 though at one point and was never really challenged but they did not blow out a VERY good Prior Lake squad.

Final score today: North 7 Eagan 3. The only thing that kept this game as close as it was were the 10 penalties the Panthers took........
Boy that's some (probably inadvertent) whistling by the graveyard reporting, there. The way it's written, you make it sound as if it would have been far worse than 7-3 without the penalties, when the score was actually 4-3 after two periods (and should have been tied, if not for a waved-off goal that was good).

Greatest teams of all time do not give up 3 even-strength goals to a team that has only scored 1 or less goals in more than half of their games this year. And they have the discipline not to take 10 penalties. And they (and their fans) don't talk about potentially being the greatest of all time until after business is taken care of.

I think that the juggernaut is far closer to the knife's edge than they (and their fans) claim to be. But by all means, keep up the swagger...it will make the schadenfreude that much sweeter if/when we discuss the 30-win team that choked at the end. :wink:
Two minutes for...embellishment (ding!)