Wayzata

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

mnhockfan99

Post by mnhockfan99 »

I think Way takes down Hill tonight.
Just Checking

Post by Just Checking »

Conrad wrote:
From what I have seen, the D1 signees on the team are being outperformed by the D1's on the other teams. And it always seems that a certain player starts fights at the end of the game.
My phone is not allowing me to look on D1 commit website so forgive the ignorance.
As I stated earlier I have only seen one game, STA, but Zimmer looked like he was still on the mend. Senden looked disinterested or hurt who knows. But Stevens and Dingman were fantastic. If they are already D1 don't group them in with being out performed at least not in that game. If they dohave commitments then I guess. I agree with you. I just can't imagine they will go long without getting offers from high end programs. I was very impressed. STA Broetsman and Jerry do not but will soon. IMDAO :lol:
GOPHERFAN119

Post by GOPHERFAN119 »

I had the opportunity to watch Wayzata play LVN. Personally, although they lost, I thought it was one of the better games they have played all year. They played with a little bit more passion.

The coach seemed to play the 1st and 2nd more often and less playing time for the 3rd line. I thought pairing Stevens with Sorenson was a good move.

The difference to me was the strength of LVN 3rd line vs Wayzata 3rd line and better goaltending from LVN.

The game could have gone either way as Wayzata had some great scoring chances in the 3rd but could not get it past their goalie.

Keys to the rest of the season will be taking fewer penalties, getting more scoring from Zimmer-Duma and Patterson as well as strong goaltending. As someone referenced earlier, playing D1 commits Senden and Zimmer on the PK might be helpful.

They can play with anyone when they want too. Sometimes they seem disinterested and play flat.

Hoping for a strong 2nd half of the season and great finish.

Go Trojans.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Just Checking wrote:
Conrad wrote:
From what I have seen, the D1 signees on the team are being outperformed by the D1's on the other teams. And it always seems that a certain player starts fights at the end of the game.

My phone is not allowing me to look on D1 commit website so forgive the ignorance.
As I stated earlier I have only seen one game, STA, but Zimmer looked like he was still on the mend. Senden looked disinterested or hurt who knows. But Stevens and Dingman were fantastic. If they are already D1 don't group them in with being out performed at least not in that game. If they dohave commitments then I guess. I agree with you. I just can't imagine they will go long without getting offers from high end programs. I was very impressed. STA Broetsman and Jerry do not but will soon. IMDAO :lol:

Gotta luv it!
:lol:
GoldenBear

Post by GoldenBear »

In highschool hockey where so many penalties are called for what a few years ago were deemed good checks or weren't called as penalties, It makes no sense to me to not have a division 1 forward play penalty kill. How many shorties does malmquist have this year? Poehlings? If the perceived best by good d1 coaches aren't on the ice when short handed that is about 20 percent of the game they are just watching and chatting with the student managers and eating popcorn and becoming dis interested. I would think you would want your best skaters on the ice as much as possible during big games, crucial situations and when you are short a player. Am I nuts for making that statement? I really don't know but I'm pretty sure the d1 s aren't afraid to block shots or wiggle their sticks while standing still for wayzata. I may be wrong I assume a coach would put the division 1 commit on the ice during these times vs a first year freshman or third/ fourth liner. If not hello juniors. My two cents. GB
CasseauCougar

Post by CasseauCougar »

Just Checking wrote: My phone is not allowing me to look on D1 commit website so forgive the ignorance.
Senden (verbal D1 commit to N Dakota) has to be hurt with only 2 goals on the season as a forward.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

GoldenBear wrote:In highschool hockey where so many penalties are called for what a few years ago were deemed good checks or weren't called as penalties, It makes no sense to me to not have a division 1 forward play penalty kill. How many shorties does malmquist have this year? Poehlings? If the perceived best by good d1 coaches aren't on the ice when short handed that is about 20 percent of the game they are just watching and chatting with the student managers and eating popcorn and becoming dis interested. I would think you would want your best skaters on the ice as much as possible during big games, crucial situations and when you are short a player. Am I nuts for making that statement? I really don't know but I'm pretty sure the d1 s aren't afraid to block shots or wiggle their sticks while standing still for wayzata. I may be wrong I assume a coach would put the division 1 commit on the ice during these times vs a first year freshman or third/ fourth liner. If not hello juniors. My two cents. GB
Agreed on all of this. Malmquist and Nick and Jack are some of the most lethal penalty killers I have ever see in HS hockey. Incredible really. Almost a disadvantage for the other team to have a PP with them out there. Malmquists anticipation is second to none
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

CasseauCougar wrote:
Just Checking wrote: My phone is not allowing me to look on D1 commit website so forgive the ignorance.
Senden (verbal D1 commit to N Dakota) has to be hurt with only 2 goals on the season as a forward.
Thats what happens these days when they get kids to commit as freshman and sophomores..i havent seen him play a ton (5-7 times) but I didn't think he was D1 caliber...hope he proves me dead wrong.
GoldenBear

Post by GoldenBear »

Sats, you were being polite in your opinion on Senden. That being said, I watched the North/Wayzata game and Senden was put on a line against Poehlings and that line was plus one against the Poehlings. That is what Senden appears to be good at that may translate into a good D1 acquistion for ND, not all about the goals and as I stated earlier I don't think he is getting a lot of ice time, but yes D1 should have more than two goals in high school. That being said, have the Poehlings been shut out--zero points in any games this year? last year? Will be interested to see if Wayzata keeps that line together rest of year. GB
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

GoldenBear wrote:Sats, you were being polite in your opinion on Senden. That being said, I watched the North/Wayzata game and Senden was put on a line against Poehlings and that line was plus one against the Poehlings. That is what Senden appears to be good at that may translate into a good D1 acquistion for ND, not all about the goals and as I stated earlier I don't think he is getting a lot of ice time, but yes D1 should have more than two goals in high school. That being said, have the Poehlings been shut out--zero points in any games this year? last year? Will be interested to see if Wayzata keeps that line together rest of year. GB
Pretty rare that Nick or Jack don't register something on the scoresheet....that being said I know sat against Eagan only Nick had an assist on the PP. There were probably 4 games last year were neither of them got a pt.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

GoldenBear wrote:Sats, you were being polite in your opinion on Senden. That being said, I watched the North/Wayzata game and Senden was put on a line against Poehlings and that line was plus one against the Poehlings. That is what Senden appears to be good at that may translate into a good D1 acquistion for ND, not all about the goals and as I stated earlier I don't think he is getting a lot of ice time, but yes D1 should have more than two goals in high school. That being said, have the Poehlings been shut out--zero points in any games this year? last year? Will be interested to see if Wayzata keeps that line together rest of year. GB
Come to think of it, I don't think the twins OR Ryan got a point in the Wayzata game....
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Lost a close one last nite, although apparently they dominated play and SOGS.

So I guess Wendlandt must have had a hot night in net.

Hearing Stevens was hurt, and Sorenson look tired or flu bug?

Anyone have further details, outlook on Stevens?
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

I was channel-surfing between this one and the GR-Hermantown train wreck. While Wayzata did lead in shots for the first few periods, that's a bit misleading...they were mostly from the outside, and they had very few good chances. Hill's D did seem to wear down a bit in the 3rd and the Trojans started to have more good chances, but Wendlandt did enough to hang on.

It seemed like the Trojans were never totally in sync, though Hill's D certainly had something to do with that. It looked like they were using some of their top players on the PK last night. Losing Stevens in the 1st period certainly didn't help. Sorensen seemed pretty active to me, though maybe more so in the first 2 periods.
bemused

Post by bemused »

karl(east) wrote:I was channel-surfing between this one and the GR-Hermantown train wreck. While Wayzata did lead in shots for the first few periods, that's a bit misleading...they were mostly from the outside, and they had very few good chances. Hill's D did seem to wear down a bit in the 3rd and the Trojans started to have more good chances, but Wendlandt did enough to hang on.

It seemed like the Trojans were never totally in sync, though Hill's D certainly had something to do with that. It looked like they were using some of their top players on the PK last night. Losing Stevens in the 1st period certainly didn't help.

Sorensen seemed pretty active to me, though maybe more so in the first 2 periods.
Active enough to increase his PIM to 45 so far this year with a charging penalty. Leads all top ten teams per the Hub.
GOPHERFAN119

Post by GOPHERFAN119 »

Did anyone else notice Pat's line changes for period 2 and 3 - moving Zimmer to the 3rd line ? He started the game on the 1st line.
Conrad

Post by Conrad »

Sorenson has 1 assist and 45 penalty minutes thru 13 games. Pretty alarming stats from one of your top D.
backdoor

Post by backdoor »

Stevens took a big hit in the second period. He went off holding his arm, ( not sure which one) looked like a shoulder or elbow injury. he didn't return.
MegaMan

Post by MegaMan »

Stevens has a broken wrist, 4-6 weeks.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

MegaMan wrote:Stevens has a broken wrist, 4-6 weeks.
Ouch.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Congrats to Trojans on taking care of business on home ice , without their captain, beating EP 4 to 2. Proved something to me, I thought they were a bit overranked, but now they rightfully should move ahead of EP in the next polls.

Schilling kept them in the game turning back 30 + shots from more potent EP offense.

Then, EP D men left the middle/ high slot unprotected a few times in the third period, and Trojans put in two to win.

Speaking of protecting the slot, Hank Sorenson was his usual one man wrecking crew including of course taking some penalties. However at one point in mid 2nd period, he singlehandely , legally and without penalty took serious care of 3 EP attackers when they each had brief puck contact in front of the net, within about a 10 second sequence . He also had several offensive full sheet breakouts, the kid hits full speed after only about 2 strides.
Conrad

Post by Conrad »

Yes Sorenson was, but 2 more penalties, one of which was another roughing ie fighting at the end of the game. His penalties will hurt Trojans chances against the power houses.
GoldenBear

Post by GoldenBear »

Conrad, you just started posting this week and all of your posts are negative towards a certain player. A player who is leading the Trojans in goals this year. I'm not sure but he has to be close to having the most goals by a defencemen in the state. But you feel necessary to post only negative comments towards this player. Ok, you don't like a certain player. He plays a physical game. Point made. He probably doesn't like you too. Or your kid. I was at the Wayzata game and Sorenson's penalties were acceptable penalties. Penalties that contributed to the victory. 45 seconds left, EP Kid slashed Schilling could have injured him. Sorenson protected goalie. They will probably play EP two more times this year, I think the message Sorenson sent was right on. The fact that Wayzata coach was disputing call with refs for over a minute in an animated form, makes me think the double minor wasn't the right call. I will admit that Sorenson got his monies worth on the EP kid. The fact that Sorenson is seeing significant ice time makes me think the Trojan coaching staff doesn't have an issue with the way Sorenson is playing. Yes, it will benefit the Trojans if they don't take stupid penalities the rest of the way.
Due me a favor "Conrad", post a positive comment in your next post. GB
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Conrad free to express opinions and Golden Bear the same.

But to add more my thoughts about Sorenson.

BTW havent seen them on the ice for a while, been too busying watching LVN, ED,STA and HM

I, like Golden Bear, thought Hank played an excellent game, trying to step up to carry his own own load plus help fill shoes of Stevens. I thought his game was actually MORE disciplined than what Ive been reading in the last month, and that his penalities were appropriate. Meanwhile, he exhibited his usual aggressive legal slot protection, and also quick transition to rink length offense including a goal.

I came away from the game wanting to find my own list of top DMEN, and see if Hank should be among them if he wasnt. His size, quickness, speed, acceleration, transition game, board and corner work, two way Dmen skills, etc.

Heres who I have been carrying on my list of top 3 Dmen pairs, plus one extra (sometimes I think Ahcan is the best of all of them):

McNeeley (LVN), Sadek (LVN) ,Kierstad (Elk), Olsen (HM) Newhouse (BSM), Donahue (STA), Ahcan (BVL)

I think its time I added Sorenson onto this list, and maybe even start thinking of him in the middle of the group or towards higher end.

My own guess about Wayzata is this will be Hanks last season there, he will either head for Ann Arbor or other juniors, since Stevens will be done and Zimmer likely leaving also it will be a natural time for Hank to transition. Of course there will be team and family dynamics to consider.
bemused

Post by bemused »

WestMetro wrote:Conrad free to express opinions and Golden Bear the same.

But to add more my thoughts about Sorenson.

BTW havent seen them on the ice for a while, been too busying watching LVN, ED,STA and HM

I, like Golden Bear, thought Hank played an excellent game, trying to step up to carry his own own load plus help fill shoes of Stevens. I thought his game was actually MORE disciplined than what Ive been reading in the last month, and that his penalities were appropriate. Meanwhile, he exhibited his usual aggressive legal slot protection, and also quick transition to rink length offense including a goal.

I came away from the game wanting to find my own list of top DMEN, and see if Hank should be among them if he wasnt. His size, quickness, speed, acceleration, transition game, board and corner work, two way Dmen skills, etc.

Heres who I have been carrying on my list of top 3 Dmen pairs, plus one extra (sometimes I think Ahcan is the best of all of them):

McNeeley (LVN), Sadek (LVN) ,Kierstad (Elk), Olsen (HM) Newhouse (BSM), Donahue (STA), Ahcan (BVL)

I think its time I added Sorenson onto this list, and maybe even start thinking of him in the middle of the group or towards higher end.

My own guess about Wayzata is this will be Hanks last season there, he will either head for Ann Arbor or other juniors, since Stevens will be done and Zimmer likely leaving also it will be a natural time for Hank to transition. Of course there will be team and family dynamics to consider.
is this a joke?
GoldenBear

Post by GoldenBear »

I really like Olson for hill. Has it all: size grit and smarts. I'd like to see McNeeley and sadek get a little more meaner. Sats curious on your take that statement for these two. They both are great defencmen but the games I've seen they could be a little more physical. Agree on Acahn. Fun to watch. Great skills. Donahoigh has the gift of being able to score and like Acahn is a great skater A defenseman I also like who doesn't get a lot of credit is Myles Cunningham Blake. He's a work in process but I like his aggressiveness and puck rushing skills. He's a great athlete that gets better on the ice each time I see him Just a few thoughts WMet. GB