Transfer disputes

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Bluewhitefan

Re: Jared Mickelson

Post by Bluewhitefan »

Rich Clarke wrote:Mickelson is now no. 12 on the JV while Jack Foley has moved up to varsity. Is this about eliminating any eligibility concerns before he plays a varsity game, or is he only the 6th or 7th best defenseman available to Edina this year?
Maybe Whopper2 can let us in on the secret.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Weird, since there are some transfer moves elsewhere this year that are much more gray than this one.

If doesn't get resolved, suspect JM will go back to Omaha rather than play JV
Bluewhitefan

Post by Bluewhitefan »

WestMetro wrote:Weird, since there are some transfer moves elsewhere this year that are much more gray than this one.

If doesn't get resolved, suspect JM will go back to Omaha rather than play JV
I'm not sure we know how gray this one is or isn't. If the family claimed to have moved and then didn't, but rented an empty apartment, shame on them for trying to skirt the rules. If the administration, including Giles, didn't fully research the eligibility before tryouts, shame on them. Face meet egg.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

I'm confused. If he's not on the varsity roster how is that skirting the rules? :?
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

I guess the question is what happened between the other day when JM was on the varsity roster, and now he is not. What is a coaching decision, an MSHSL decision, or ? If an MSHSL decision, why? and might that cast into doubt a few other high profile people?
Bluewhitefan

Post by Bluewhitefan »

MNHockeyFan wrote:I'm confused. If he's not on the varsity roster how is that skirting the rules? :?
Note the use of the word "if" in my post. Obviously, something happened in the timeline between Whopper2 stating he would "fill the gap" at D for the Hornets, to him being on the published varsity roster on MSHSL, to him not being on that roster. It certainly would be skirting the rules if he tried out while ineligible, and was placed on a roster while ineligible. I'm not surprised that you're confused.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Bluewhitefan wrote:It certainly would be skirting the rules if he tried out while ineligible, and was placed on a roster while ineligible.
Not if he was determined to be ineligible AFTER he tried out and initially placed on the roster. Lots of "ifs" in this story and we shouldn't jump to conclusions until all the facts are known.
Bluewhitefan

Post by Bluewhitefan »

MNHockeyFan wrote:
Bluewhitefan wrote:It certainly would be skirting the rules if he tried out while ineligible, and was placed on a roster while ineligible.
Not if he was determined to be ineligible AFTER he tried out and initially placed on the roster. Lots of "ifs" in this story and we shouldn't jump to conclusions until all the facts are known.
you say tomato, I say...

IF he is ruled ineligible, and bolts town, because he won't play JV, then by trying out, they certainly attempted to skirt the rules. Either that, or they are pretty naive. Not to mention the fact that they stole a spot from someone else, without making sure he was eligible.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Whatever the case, I didn't notice they were short of talent or missed JM much tonite against HF at Plymouth.

Even so, still curious about what happened. Coaching decision, team dynamics reaction, kid decision, Dad decision, MSHSL decision, or ?

Earlier in this thread, someone said he would return to Omaha instead of playing JV here, so will be interesting to see if that occurs.
Whopper2

jm

Post by Whopper2 »

he was ok untill tuesday. edina ad he was ineligable. they didnt want to have this brought up and risk their third title. He said he didnt think we lived in edina. I do and imvited him to come over . he needed to check out one of my other properties. told him the one in question has a purhase agreement and had a renter but we could get it done the next day. he said he contacted the mshsl and they said all the funiture had to be out no food in the house and needed to look thru closets and draws onweek buy week. I said ok would that be good enough. He said no called me a liar. asked for a meeting with the mshsl . he said he would take care of it. I thought he was getting us to quit. There is supose to be due process with the mshsl to get this solved within 3 days. This way there was no to go. Then he took jared into office at school and bullied him for more than a half hour asking him the same questions over and over then called me said he was takeing him off varsity. After our call he turned to jared and said Whats going thru your head now. then laughed ha ha ha. He called said edina was getting high profile attorneys and they would be contacting me. let me say we enrolled him in eagan but the mshsl said we would have to move so we bought a place in edina. Ive told everyone we were staying in mn and finishing school there even thu we had options for whl omaha and the ehl tampa bay. Jareds a honor student that why we sent him to spa the best school in the state but didnt want to move to st paul. I dont plan on selling my place in edina even if i move ouy of state . there no way my wife could be away from grand kids for any lengh of time. this is all about edina try to get rid of us to protect them from future problems. People were right when they said new people werent welcome. I want to thank all the people who have reached out, Jareds hockey brothers, friends and the latino community.Bye the way jared played on the jv last nite and had a good game and seems to be supported by the boys on both teams..there are more issues here than the hockey thing and are going to be dealt with.
Bluelightspecial

Post by Bluelightspecial »

Or maybe they know your Home is in Eagan/Rosemount and will always be and didn't want to take a chance. Feel very bad for Jared! Great kid!
alcloseshaver

Re: jm

Post by alcloseshaver »

Whopper2 wrote:he was ok untill tuesday. edina ad he was ineligable. they didnt want to have this brought up and risk their third title. He said he didnt think we lived in edina. I do and imvited him to come over . he needed to check out one of my other properties. told him the one in question has a purhase agreement and had a renter but we could get it done the next day. he said he contacted the mshsl and they said all the funiture had to be out no food in the house and needed to look thru closets and draws onweek buy week. I said ok would that be good enough. He said no called me a liar. asked for a meeting with the mshsl . he said he would take care of it. I thought he was getting us to quit. There is supose to be due process with the mshsl to get this solved within 3 days. This way there was no to go. Then he took jared into office at school and bullied him for more than a half hour asking him the same questions over and over then called me said he was takeing him off varsity. After our call he turned to jared and said Whats going thru your head now. then laughed ha ha ha. He called said edina was getting high profile attorneys and they would be contacting me. let me say we enrolled him in eagan but the mshsl said we would have to move so we bought a place in edina. Ive told everyone we were staying in mn and finishing school there even thu we had options for whl omaha and the ehl tampa bay. Jareds a honor student that why we sent him to spa the best school in the state but didnt want to move to st paul. I dont plan on selling my place in edina even if i move ouy of state . there no way my wife could be away from grand kids for any lengh of time. this is all about edina try to get rid of us to protect them from future problems. People were right when they said new people werent welcome. I want to thank all the people who have reached out, Jareds hockey brothers, friends and the latino community.Bye the way jared played on the jv last nite and had a good game and seems to be supported by the boys on both teams..there are more issues here than the hockey thing and are going to be dealt with.
Is this for real? Who typed it...
blueblood

Edina

Post by blueblood »

I think whopper2 had one too many barley pops with his whopper when he posted his comments above.
50cent

Post by 50cent »

Whopper2 wrote:he was ok untill tuesday. edina ad he was ineligable. they didnt want to have this brought up and risk their third title. He said he didnt think we lived in edina. I do and imvited him to come over . he needed to check out one of my other properties. told him the one in question has a purhase agreement and had a renter but we could get it done the next day. he said he contacted the mshsl and they said all the funiture had to be out no food in the house and needed to look thru closets and draws onweek buy week. I said ok would that be good enough. He said no called me a liar. asked for a meeting with the mshsl . he said he would take care of it. I thought he was getting us to quit. There is supose to be due process with the mshsl to get this solved within 3 days. This way there was no to go. Then he took jared into office at school and bullied him for more than a half hour asking him the same questions over and over then called me said he was takeing him off varsity. After our call he turned to jared and said Whats going thru your head now. then laughed ha ha ha. He called said edina was getting high profile attorneys and they would be contacting me. let me say we enrolled him in eagan but the mshsl said we would have to move so we bought a place in edina. Ive told everyone we were staying in mn and finishing school there even thu we had options for whl omaha and the ehl tampa bay. Jareds a honor student that why we sent him to spa the best school in the state but didnt want to move to st paul. I dont plan on selling my place in edina even if i move ouy of state . there no way my wife could be away from grand kids for any lengh of time. this is all about edina try to get rid of us to protect them from future problems. People were right when they said new people werent welcome. I want to thank all the people who have reached out, Jareds hockey brothers, friends and the latino community.Bye the way jared played on the jv last nite and had a good game and seems to be supported by the boys on both teams..there are more issues here than the hockey thing and are going to be dealt with.
What's wrong with playing in Eagan?
observer

Post by observer »

Goofy idea from the beginning.
almostashappy

Post by almostashappy »

50cent wrote: What's wrong with playing in Eagan?
Response 1: Absolutely nothing.

Response 2: The City of Eagan is split into three different school districts and four different high school collection areas. Options are Eagan High, Burnsville, Eastview, and Sibley. The latter isn't going to see a lot of scouts in the stands during any of their games.

Response 3: If somebody has zero loyalty or commitment to their local program, and has already shipped their kid off to Omaha to play AAA, getting to the Tourney and winning it could well be their first priority. If that's the goal, Edina admittedly has better odds of getting to State than the Wildcats do this year.

Response 4: It appears that the D in question played at SPA prior to playing in Omaha. Transfer eligibility is based on parent's residence. If some hypothetical kid played 9th grade at SPA, then 10th grade in Omaha (with parents staying put in their primary residence), I would think that if kid wants to return to MSHSL for junior year, then SPA would be their only varsity option (so long as parents don't move, and they don't want to try for a hardship exemption). So the real question would seem to be "What's wrong with playing at SPA?"
Two minutes for...embellishment (ding!)
hockey_is_a_choice

Post by hockey_is_a_choice »

Whopper2,

You would be hard pressed to convince a court that your son's due process rights have been violated. Most judges would look at your son's background with a jaundiced eye. You own property outside of Edina. If you have taken the homestead deduction, a court likely would deem it to be your primary residence. You could have eliminated this concern by selling the property at the same time you claim to have purchased the Edina property. That said, I suspect a judge would also be troubled by the fact that you moved your son to a new school in each of the last three years. Remember, judges are highly educated (at least seven years of post-high school education). They earn their livings using their brains. Most of them think that high school students' (and their parents') focus should be on academics, not athletics.

Your son is a good player. Get out of his way. You are not helping him. Let him play hockey for fun. He'll be fine on the Edina jv team this year. Tell him to focus on his academics. I suspect with all the school changes there are gaps in his education. Edina has great schools. Let him finish his final two years of high school at Edina. Ten years from now this will all seem like a speed bump in your son's life. He will look back on this and realize that when you try to game the system some people will call you out on it.

Hats off to the Edina AD for not allowing this type of shenanigans on his watch.
Froggy Richards

Re: Edina

Post by Froggy Richards »

blueblood wrote:I think whopper2 had one too many barley pops with his whopper when he posted his comments above.
He mentions in his post that the Latino community has reached out. Maybe English is his 2nd language. If that's the case, it's a heck of a lot better than my Spanish.
buttend

Post by buttend »

Whopper2 wrote: Then he took jared into office at school and bullied him for more than a half hour asking him the same questions over and over then called me said he was takeing him off varsity...... let me say we enrolled him in eagan but the mshsl said we would have to move so we bought a place in edina.
Dick,
First.. You are accusing the Edina AD of bullying your boy on a public forum?
Second, 8th Grade Rosemount, 9th Grade SPA, 10th Grade Omaha, 11th Grade Eagan then Edina.... I think that is a record for Mn Hockey! Every year you are trying to game the system somewhere. At this point if MSHL says your boy is eligible that in no way means your playing varsity
Enjoy JV this year!
Blahblahblogger

Morons

Post by Blahblahblogger »

Hockey is a choice: are you an attorney?
I would challenge that many of you know very little about academia, and this is why you are on here arguing about children. I am not a huge sports fan. However, I have a child at edina high school, who told me about a new kid not being treated very well.....over.....hockey! Wow. When I looked up the child's name, it brought me here. Really fellas, if his dad bought a house so he could go to Edina, so be it. I bought my home 2 years ago so that my children could have a superior education, because they're "transfers" should the get the JV treatment I their education.
The parents bought a home here, it's hockey, and there a school officials encourage and leading the poor treatment of this young man. Maybe his parents are in the wrong, but it is the job of the school and community to support every single child, not punish them for the disdain of a parent.
AND- if you're applauding the AD, you are about as clever as a vegetable. He is obviously reacting before thinking and following guidelines. He clearly is being used as a puppet by someone in the school.
It is so sad and pathetic for all of these adults. Get a grip
Froggy Richards

Re: Morons

Post by Froggy Richards »

Blahblahblogger wrote:Hockey is a choice: are you an attorney?
I would challenge that many of you know very little about academia, and this is why you are on here arguing about children. I am not a huge sports fan. However, I have a child at edina high school, who told me about a new kid not being treated very well.....over.....hockey! Wow. When I looked up the child's name, it brought me here. Really fellas, if his dad bought a house so he could go to Edina, so be it. I bought my home 2 years ago so that my children could have a superior education, because they're "transfers" should the get the JV treatment I their education.
The parents bought a home here, it's hockey, and there a school officials encourage and leading the poor treatment of this young man. Maybe his parents are in the wrong, but it is the job of the school and community to support every single child, not punish them for the disdain of a parent.
AND- if you're applauding the AD, you are about as clever as a vegetable. He is obviously reacting before thinking and following guidelines. He clearly is being used as a puppet by someone in the school.
You looked up his name and it brought you here? Funny, since I don't recall his last name ever being posted on here. Sounds like your beef is with the MSHSL. They put in the transfer rules regarding Varsity sports, not the members of this forum. His Dad bought a house in Edina so he could play hockey, he said so himself, provided that was really him posting. Had nothing to do with, "Academia." If you want him on your hockey team, take it up with the MSHSL.
OTB987

Post by OTB987 »

I was skeptical that Whopper2 was actually the Dad but after reading some of Whoppers posts it certainly appears to be the case.

Who knows what the AD said or did not say but I think it is fair to assume that Whooper may be slanted towards one side of this debate and has shown the ability to push an agenda towards his sons favor. So I cannot take what he wrote as factual.

What does appear to be factual is that he was placed on the Varsity team for a period of time so it would reasonable to assume that he was given a fair opportunity and was not shun from the process knowing that he was considered an "outsider" or a "transfer".

What I also understand to be a fact is that his eligibility put the team in jeopardy - refer back to Achiever Academy for the demise of their seasons (boys and girls) - regardless of how talented a player Edina will not jeopardize their program for any player.

AD was put in a position to have to make a decision for the betterment of the school and team and it appears the AD did his job. Again, what was said or not said in his office nobody truly knows.

Based upon Whoppers post I am given the impression he was willing to comply to the transfer rules at the last minute which is something sits solely on his lap. If he would have complied to the details transfer rules his son would be on Varsity based upon the fact that he was on the team for a period of time.

In fairness to this player, it would be nice if every AD took the time to validate the legitimacy of their transfers and enforce the rule to its intended position.
Lazy Scout

Post by Lazy Scout »

UMMMM, I don't believe the school is "punishing" the student? Sending him to JV until his eligibility is resolved is the responsible thing to do. I do believe the AD is following guidelines and this is why this kid is in this predicament. It's just not the same guidelines the dad wants to hear. This dad has shopped around for his son since 9th grade. He wants his son to play on the best team to gain recognition and he'll probably bolt his senior year anyway. If its about academics, then they should be happy to be in Edina for their schools and satisfied playing JV for a year. Heck, if it really is about academics then you wouldn't have left SPA in the first place, If your going to try and cheat the system I suggest you don't pick Edina to do it.
The parents and school district are too smart for this.
SidneysDogHouse

Post by SidneysDogHouse »

Lazy Scout wrote:

UMMMM, I don't believe the school is "punishing" the student? Sending him to JV until his eligibility is resolved is the responsible thing to do. I do believe the AD is following guidelines and this is why this kid is in this predicament. It's just not the same guidelines the dad wants to hear. This dad has shopped around for his son since 9th grade. He wants his son to play on the best team to gain recognition and he'll probably bolt his senior year anyway. If its about academics, then they should be happy to be in Edina for their schools and satisfied playing JV for a year. Heck, if it really is about academics then you wouldn't have left SPA in the first place, If your going to try and cheat the system I suggest you don't pick Edina to do it.
The parents and school district are too smart for this.
Well said! It was only a matter of time before his manipulative shopping caught up to him. Sad part is, the son probably had very little say in any of this, yet is the one paying the price for his father's actions.
Tenoverpar

f

Post by Tenoverpar »

Why are we talking about this JM Edina JV kid on the Who's not coming back discussion...the topic has been hijacked. Rosters are posted and season's under way....

Time to start the Who's not coming in 15-16 thread