Achiever Academy leaves MSHSL, reorganizes as Tier 1 program

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

almostashappy

Achiever Academy leaves MSHSL, reorganizes as Tier 1 program

Post by almostashappy »

http://www.startribune.com/sports/preps/266141541.html

I still don't care much for the idea of a school centered around hockey, but at least this move is a better fit for what they're trying to do.
Two minutes for...embellishment (ding!)
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

While we knew this was coming, along with the other MinnHock provisional rules , as well as matters otherwise being contemplated by MinnHock, Elite and MSHSL, it nevertheless cant help but refocus the issue of trying to look 5-10 years out to possibilities for age 15-18 hockey in Minn.

1) A new similar non MSHSL school in NW Metro

2) Two new similar schools in West/Southwest metro ( part of the impetus for two will be Edina may have won 4 or 5 titles in a row by then and MSHSL may ironically contribute to the non MSHSL ( or additional private MSHSL) school trend by having to put some "breakup" pressure on Edina Public HS hockey dominance)

3) One similar in north central Minn, will have to be the boarding school concept

4) A net import of highly regarded national youth coaching talent to these schools

5) More import of 15-16 year old talent from Canada and Scandinavia

6) Public MSHSL talent will slowly diminish as more Minn youth association talent migrates to these schools from wealthier families. Unless MSHSL eases competition rules.

7) Unknown whether these instate non MSHSL schools will slow the early U18 departure to outstate juniors. Conceivable, but it all depends.

8) Trend cant help but have an impact on the MSHSL March State Tourney at the X.

9) However, there will certainly be more and more competitive head to head top talent games to see during the course of overall 12 month cycle. If you don't care about municipal loyalty.
Tenoverpar

f

Post by Tenoverpar »

For some reason I don't see the Bauer-Emerson vs Shattuck St Mary's rivalry being all that compelling anytime soon...
Last edited by Tenoverpar on Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
imlisteningtothefnsong

Post by imlisteningtothefnsong »

Here is a link to the new version

http://www.bauer-emerson.org/
almostashappy

Post by almostashappy »

WestMetro wrote:While we knew this was coming, along with the other MinnHock provisional rules , as well as matters otherwise being contemplated by MinnHock, Elite and MSHSL, it nevertheless cant help but refocus the issue of trying to look 5-10 years out to possibilities for age 15-18 hockey in Minn.

1) A new similar non MSHSL school in NW Metro

2) Two new similar schools in West/Southwest metro ( part of the impetus for two will be Edina may have won 4 or 5 titles in a row by then and MSHSL may ironically contribute to the non MSHSL ( or additional private MSHSL) school trend by having to put some "breakup" pressure on Edina Public HS hockey dominance)

3) One similar in north central Minn, will have to be the boarding school concept.....
Why does the emergence of several new Tier 1 hockey programs outside of the MSHSL require several new schools? Can't you have kids who stay at their home high school and play for a non-MSHSL hockey team?

The problem for me is lumping AA in with SSM as private schools who play Tier 1 hockey. For all of its issues, SSM at least offers live teachers and a rigorous academic program (and a bricks and mortar library, for that matter). AA gets by with on-line classes. Not in any way an ideal learning environment or experience.
Two minutes for...embellishment (ding!)
InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya »

I have to agree. Even crazy hockey parents recognize that on-line learning can't offer the same education that a quality high school can - if it could, Northfield would be a ghost town, and everyone would have a degree from Southern New Hampshire University. I think the current system has a bloat of people looking for anything other than what they feel stuck with, but interest will wane after the first stories of kids from DSLHS that had interest from coaches at Michigan or Ohio State or Notre Dame or Air Force Academy but zero interest from the admissions office. It's one thing to be an accredited high school; quite another to earn a reputation desired by colleges.
DrGaf

Post by DrGaf »

InigoMontoya wrote:I have to agree. Even crazy hockey parents recognize that on-line learning can't offer the same education that a quality high school can - if it could, Northfield would be a ghost town, and everyone would have a degree from Southern New Hampshire University. I think the current system has a bloat of people looking for anything other than what they feel stuck with, but interest will wane after the first stories of kids from DSLHS that had interest from coaches at Michigan or Ohio State or Notre Dame or Air Force Academy but zero interest from the admissions office. It's one thing to be an accredited high school; quite another to earn a reputation desired by colleges.
One day
One night
Saturday's Alright
Night time
On line
something somthing Anytime
blah blah blah blah
get your degree
NATIONAL
AMERICAN
UNIVERSITY
Sorry, fresh out, Don't Really Give Any.
buttend

Re: Achiever Academy leaves MSHSL, reorganizes as Tier 1 pro

Post by buttend »

almostashappy wrote:http://www.startribune.com/sports/preps/266141541.html

I still don't care much for the idea of a school centered around hockey, but at least this move is a better fit for what they're trying to do.

How can a program that could not meet MN HS eligibility rules last year be rewarded with Tier1 Status this year? Are they not still listed as a Minnesota High School? People/Clubs/Businesses for years have been trying to get Tier 1 status and these guys get it 4 months after getting pulled from MNHS hockey section play?

I really want to hear the story on how this happened!
Whiner33

Post by Whiner33 »

imlisteningtothefnsong wrote:Here is a link to the new version

http://www.bauer-emerson.org/
Good luck to you peeps😀.... Your never going to make it but keep trying 😳
Froggy Richards

Re: Achiever Academy leaves MSHSL, reorganizes as Tier 1 pro

Post by Froggy Richards »

buttend wrote:
almostashappy wrote:http://www.startribune.com/sports/preps/266141541.html

How can a program that could not meet MN HS eligibility rules last year be rewarded with Tier1 Status this year? Are they not still listed as a Minnesota High School? People/Clubs/Businesses for years have been trying to get Tier 1 status and these guys get it 4 months after getting pulled from MNHS hockey section play?

I really want to hear the story on how this happened!
That's a great question. I don't have any inside information but if you look at the known facts it makes sense to me. MN Hockey did not want to expand Tier 1. They've said in their own press release that they are very wary of threatening the existing model. They obviously felt like they had to, so it makes sense that they would do it in a way that would have the least affect on Association and High School Hockey. I think they accomplished that. The Before and Afters are great and have no affect on the current structure. Granting one more full time puts them at a quota that they are probably comfortable with and can now shut the door on any more.

If you don't want to expand it but feel like you have to, who better to give it to than Achiever? A "school" that probably has a better than 50% chance of failure. They have good hockey people in place but it would take them years if not decades to build a respected Academic Institution. Three to four hours of online classes per day? That's just not going to cut it. The only way I send my kid there is if I've come to the realization that he will never amount to anything academically, so we might as well go all in on the Hockey thing. How many parents are ready to make that decision? No doubt that some will, but those are probably people that you don't want in your Association. If they had to add a Tier 1 program, this was probably the best case scenario.
Wet Paint

Post by Wet Paint »

What would happen if they formed a co-op with another school? Seems like that would be the way to go, find another school that wants into the Tier 1 scene and form a co-op with them and get their education element taken care of. Would be good for the other school also as they would get kids who wanted to play Tier 1 hockey.
Froggy Richards

Post by Froggy Richards »

Wet Paint wrote:What would happen if they formed a co-op with another school? Seems like that would be the way to go, find another school that wants into the Tier 1 scene and form a co-op with them and get their education element taken care of. Would be good for the other school also as they would get kids who wanted to play Tier 1 hockey.
I'm sure it would have to be approved by MN Hockey, which doesn't seem likely. And, of course, they would have to find a school willing to excuse their Students for 3-4 hours a day for Hockey practice. That seems even more unlikely.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Eventually, MSHSL, Association Boards, Municipality Rink Owners, and School Boards are going to jointly have to figure out all these puzzles. Meanwhile, impatient families with money are going to find/create their own routes to get their kids to the competition and education level they believe is best (rightly or wrongly)
Nevertoomuchhockey

Post by Nevertoomuchhockey »

DrGaf wrote:
InigoMontoya wrote:I have to agree. Even crazy hockey parents recognize that on-line learning can't offer the same education that a quality high school can - if it could, Northfield would be a ghost town, and everyone would have a degree from Southern New Hampshire University. I think the current system has a bloat of people looking for anything other than what they feel stuck with, but interest will wane after the first stories of kids from DSLHS that had interest from coaches at Michigan or Ohio State or Notre Dame or Air Force Academy but zero interest from the admissions office. It's one thing to be an accredited high school; quite another to earn a reputation desired by colleges.
One day
One night
Saturday's Alright
Night time
On line
something somthing Anytime
blah blah blah blah
get your degree
NATIONAL
AMERICAN
UNIVERSITY
Haven't laughed that hard in months.