2014-15 AA High School Hockey Predictions

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

Some scattered thoughts on the upcoming season, plus a remembrance of former Duluth East coach Glenn Rolle, who passed away this past week:

http://apatientcycle.com/2014/08/01/201 ... om-august/
Nuts&Bolts

Post by Nuts&Bolts »

Great article Karl. Please tell us more about your move. Reading recent threads helps me understand your transfer will be permitted by the MSHSL making you immediately eligible to participate - jk. A nice pick-up for metro area teams and fans with your local coverage but I suspect a couple of trips up 35 are planned to catch some action and have the secret pow-wows with Coach Mike. Tell us you are in the metro for the next couple of years on assignment and are going to help the Star Tribune/Hockey Flub fix there mess or will be connected with another newer venture to cover and promote the high school hockey ranks. :lol:
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

Nuts&Bolts wrote:Great article Karl. Please tell us more about your move. Reading recent threads helps me understand your transfer will be permitted by the MSHSL making you immediately eligible to participate - jk. A nice pick-up for metro area teams and fans with your local coverage but I suspect a couple of trips up 35 are planned to catch some action and have the secret pow-wows with Coach Mike. Tell us you are in the metro for the next couple of years on assignment and are going to help the Star Tribune/Hockey Flub fix there mess or will be connected with another newer venture to cover and promote the high school hockey ranks. :lol:
I'll be switching residences, so I'm in the clear. :wink:

And no, I'm afraid I wasn't recruited down there to help out the Strib/Hub team or any other hockey news site. I will probably put out a few feelers once I'm down there, though, to see what I can contribute. Don't expect anything earth-shattering; this is a hobby for me, not a job. But it'd be a shame to move down there for two winters and not take advantage of some of the opportunities that present themselves.
BP

Post by BP »

1) Edina
2) Lakeville North
3) Wayzata
4) BSM
5) STA
6) EP
7) Holy Family
8) Grand Rapids
9) Elk River
10) Hill-Murray
11) Prior Lake
12) Blaine
13) Duluth East
14) CDH
15) Maple Grove
16) WBL
17) Farmington
18) Burnsville
19) Centennial
20) Stillwater

Others: Minnetonka, Andover, Roseau, Moorhead, Lakeville South, Jefferson.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

BP, Ive got EP out of the top 10, although they do have some good talent in Graham, Schoo, Aguilar,Middlestat,Sullivan. What other names do think will help keep them in the top 10, and how is their goaltending situation? Also, do you think this will be Grahams last season at EP?
BP

Post by BP »

WestMetro wrote:BP, Ive got EP out of the top 10, although they do have some good talent in Graham, Schoo, Aguilar,Middlestat,Sullivan. What other names do think will help keep them in the top 10, and how is their goaltending situation? Also, do you think this will be Grahams last season at EP?
Really good group of AA Bantams might bridge the gap for them. They seem to find an endless amount of talented goalies year in and year out. Lee always finds a way to get these guys going and play well. I really like Graham a lot, this may be his last year if he has a huge year. It'll be interesting to see how he fairs without Spinner....but I think he'll do just fine.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

BP, at the rate Middlestadt is burning up the Elite League, 5th in points, I may have to reconsider dropping EP out of top 10. Graham and Middelstadt should be quite a scoring combo. But reluctant to move them back into top 10 without knowing more about caliber of their goaltending.
Can you or anyone else offer insights, I don't see any comments about EP in the 2014-2015 Goalie thread.
Puckstopper81

Post by Puckstopper81 »

The goaltending at EP this year is plentiful. From what I've heard, 11 to 12 goalies trying out for varsity this coming season. The front runners are most likely the two JV goalies from last year. Both posted strong numbers while playing arguably the toughest JV schedule last season. Team will definately struggle after losing Snuggerud and Spinner. Graham will lead the offence while Middlestadt will struggle with the physical play. Defence for EP will probably be the weakest link along with the long in the tooth coaching. To survice, EP definately has to play all their lines versus what they did last season relyng on only on their top two lines over and over. It could go either way, a season that suprises a lot of people or a season that everyone will want to forget.
edgeUcated

Post by edgeUcated »

Puckstopper81 wrote:The goaltending at EP this year is plentiful. From what I've heard, 11 to 12 goalies trying out for varsity this coming season. The front runners are most likely the two JV goalies from last year. Both posted strong numbers while playing arguably the toughest JV schedule last season. Team will definately struggle after losing Snuggerud and Spinner. Graham will lead the offence while Middlestadt will struggle with the physical play. Defence for EP will probably be the weakest link along with the long in the tooth coaching. To survice, EP definately has to play all their lines versus what they did last season relyng on only on their top two lines over and over. It could go either way, a season that surprises a lot of people or a season that everyone will want to forget.
Puckstopper81 I would beg to differ -- Believe defense will be EP strength by far. Three returning starters from last years state tournament team (Schoo, Aguilar, Sullivan). Expect a couple of solid JV and/or Bantams to emerge to round off a very solid D-corp for EP. Forwards should be in great shape for EP with Graham and Middlestadt leading the way. Been following Middlestadt in the Elite League and does not appear to have ANY issues with the physical play (against the best of the best). Expect a good mix of Jr and Sr forwards to provide a very solid 1-3 lines. I think goaltending will be the biggest deciding factor here -- EP went with 2 senior goaltenders last year, so no returner with varsity game experience to speak of right now. Not sure about the rumor of 11 to 12 goalies trying out.... With all that said NOT sure anyone can match up against Edina returners.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

For now, Im going to be cautious and continue to keep EP out of my preseason top 10, and possibly even top 20, until hear more about goaltending situation with broad consensus i.e no mention of EP in the 2014-15 Goalie thread.

( Would appreciate if Puckstopper could provide any specifics about the top two JV goalie's stats from last year, or is their a link? Agree it would be harder to find a tougher JV schedule last year)
Puckstopper81

Post by Puckstopper81 »

I guess we will have to wait and see. Like anything when it comes to kids, it's pretty much a crap shoot! :D

WestMetro...look for Varsity and JV stats under www.mnhockeyhub.com.
JV stats are under "More", "Other Leagues", then "MSHSL JV".

Good luck to all this coming season!
GOALIEPOPS

Post by GOALIEPOPS »

warriors41 wrote:The Bemidji Lumberjacks will take section 8AA. The section will be once again weaker than we are used to and they quietly have some pretty good talent. They just have to put it all together.
Please don't discount Moorhead.. All 5 D-men and goalie returning and a bunch of hungry scrappers up front. Look for Borgen and Mehnert to be a top D tandem in the state. Moorhead should have a fine season. Bemidji will be tough no doubt. [/quote]
gorilla1

Post by gorilla1 »

Should be a great season. Edina will be tough to beat. I like EP and Graham should have a big year. It'll be interesting to see the loss of Spinner. I hear those talking about Mittelstadt and why he might turn into something he's not there yet. He can't make his own shots/opportunities and has to depend on others to set him up. Goalies will be an issue.
7feetunder

Post by 7feetunder »

love these predictions. Edina looks solid for this year..............again. Sigh.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Sticking with my July 22 top 10 rankings so far....

Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:12 pm

Rank Returning key players

1 Edina Malmquist, Bellows , Wait ,Zuhlsdorf, Masterman
Dornback,Mishmash,Fuss,Bohlby,,Foley,Meyer ,

2. LV North Poehlings,McNeeley, Enebak, Sadek, goalie Edquist

3 Benilde Jungels,Kaske,Newhouse, Roo,Heimbold , Austin
Calengar, Long

4 STA Broetzman , Versich, Tufto, Donahue,McDonald,Hurley

5 Hill Murray Mikey Anderson, Olsen,Mills, Zarembinski, Staum.
Coach Lechner is worth a couple notches in the rankings.

6 Wayzata Stevens, Zimmer, Sorenson, Senden,Duma, Dingman,

7 Elk River Kierstad, Jaremko,,Johnson,Lutz,Schwab

8 Holy Family Peterson, Garin, Redden, Runyon,Anderson, Heifort

9 Maple Grove Passolt, Huff, Kelly,Franta, Zajicek, Goodman

10 Duluth East Spencer, Altman,Altman,Dow,Howg
Coach Randolph worth a couple notches
Puckstopper81

Post by Puckstopper81 »

gorilla1 wrote:Should be a great season. Edina will be tough to beat. I like EP and Graham should have a big year. It'll be interesting to see the loss of Spinner. I hear those talking about Mittelstadt and why he might turn into something he's not there yet. He can't make his own shots/opportunities and has to depend on others to set him up. Goalies will be an issue.
And goaltending wasn't an issue with EP last year? Gerdes, who played almost every game for the Eagles last season, didn't help their cause one bit in the State Tourney. His horrible play in the Semis handed the Championship game to Lakeville North. Even a decent game from Gerdes would have landed EP in the finals against Edina.

Bigger question is why so many goalies with talent leave EP program? Just in the last couple years, Rasmussen left to go to HF, Lacome left to go to HF, Kielly left to go play AAA. What's up with that?
WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus »

Puckstopper81 wrote:
gorilla1 wrote:Should be a great season. Edina will be tough to beat. I like EP and Graham should have a big year. It'll be interesting to see the loss of Spinner. I hear those talking about Mittelstadt and why he might turn into something he's not there yet. He can't make his own shots/opportunities and has to depend on others to set him up. Goalies will be an issue.
And goaltending wasn't an issue with EP last year? Gerdes, who played almost every game for the Eagles last season, didn't help their cause one bit in the State Tourney. His horrible play in the Semis handed the Championship game to Lakeville North. Even a decent game from Gerdes would have landed EP in the finals against Edina.

Bigger question is why so many goalies with talent leave EP program? Just in the last couple years, Rasmussen left to go to HF, Lacome left to go to HF, Kielly left to go play AAA. What's up with that?
Two of those three left because they believed Gerdes was going be #1 and get the majority of the duty.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

WarmUpTheBus wrote:
Puckstopper81 wrote:

Two of those three left because they believed Gerdes was going be #1 and get the majority of the duty.
None of them believed gerdes would get the number 1 spot or were even concerned about that - they all left for what they thought to be better schools, coaching and or more opportunites to be seen. Rass was always a Catholic school kid and would have stayed that way - LaCombe hated EP schools, liked EP, but hated the school and I think Kielly went for more games and exposure
NLHockey

Post by NLHockey »

Can't be seen sitting on the bench. It's very easy to leave talent on the bench in that position - lots of factors play into this...coaching biases, relationship (or lack therof) with athlete, lack of experiencing identifying goalie talent, etc. Good for them gettting to a place where they could get better exposure and possibly coaching.
SuperStar wrote:
WarmUpTheBus wrote:
Puckstopper81 wrote: And goaltending wasn't an issue with EP last year? Gerdes, who played almost every game for the Eagles last season, didn't help their cause one bit in the State Tourney. His horrible play in the Semis handed the Championship game to Lakeville North. Even a decent game from Gerdes would have landed EP in the finals against Edina.

None of them believed gerdes would get the number 1 spot or were even concerned about that - they all left for what they thought to be better schools, coaching and or more opportunites to be seen. Rass was always a Catholic school kid and would have stayed that way - LaCombe hated EP schools, liked EP, but hated the school and I think Kielly went for more games and exposure
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Ok, my final preseason prediction shown below:

Dropped Duluth East from Top Ten, Replaced with EP

Moved Elk River up Ahead of Wayzata

Otherwise, pretty much the same as July 22

2014-2015 2013 -2014
Rank Record Returning key players

1 Edina 20 -4-1 Malmquist , Bellows? , Wait ,Zuhlsdorf,
Masterman Dornbach, Mishmash, Fuss, Bohlby, Foley,Meyer, Pugh, Boe

2. LV North 20-4-1 Poehlings,McNeeley, Enebak, Sadek, Reis, goalie Edquist

3 Benilde 13 -8-3 Jungels,Kaske,Newhouse, Roo,Heimbold , Austin Calengar, Risteau . Goaltenders Long /Bischell

4 St. Thomas 18-6-1 Broetzman , Versich , Tufto, Donahue,McDonald,Hurley Smallidge, Goalie Snow

5 Hill Murray 22 -3 . Mikey Anderson, Olsen,Mills, Zarembinski, Staum. Goalie Wendlandt Coach Lechner is worth a couple notches in the rankings.

6 Elk River 18-6 Kierstad, Jaremko,,Lutz,Johnson Schwab, Goalie Meyers

7 Wayzata 19 -5 -1 Stevens, Zimmer, Sorenson, Senden,Duma, Dingman, Patterson Goalie Schilling

8 Eden Prairie 14 8-3 Graham, Schoo, Aguilar,Middlestat,Sullivan, Goalies Durocher/Thompsom

9 Holy Family 19-5-1 Peterson, Garin, Redden, Runyon,Anderson , Goalie Heifort

10 Maple Grove 14-8-3 Passolt, Huff, Kelly,Franta, Zajicek, Goalie Goodman
PuckDaddy

Post by PuckDaddy »

WestMetro wrote:Ok, my final preseason prediction shown below:

2014-2015 2013 -2014

3 Benilde 13 -8-3 Jungels,Kaske,Newhouse, Roo,Heimbold , Austin Calengar, Risteau . Goaltenders Long /Bischell

4 St. Thomas 18-6-1 Broetzman , Versich , Tufto, Donahue,McDonald,Hurley Smallidge, Goalie Snow

5 Hill Murray 22 -3 . Mikey Anderson, Olsen,Mills, Zarembinski, Staum. Goalie Wendlandt Coach Lechner is worth a couple notches in the rankings.

7 Wayzata 19 -5 -1 Stevens, Zimmer, Sorenson, Senden,Duma, Dingman, Patterson Goalie Schilling

8 Eden Prairie 14 8-3 Graham, Schoo, Aguilar,Middlestat,Sullivan, Goalies Durocher/Thompsom

As far as EP goes - agree with Durocher. The two AA Bantam goalies from last year should battle for the other spot. Also - watch out for Prior Lake. My sleeper pick. They should be climbing the latter and be good for the next 2 years or so. Good crop of '98s and they added a pretty good goalie in Scietz (sp)
Bluewhitefan

Post by Bluewhitefan »

Added Gleekel from Blake
Puckstopper81

Post by Puckstopper81 »

PuckDaddy wrote:

2014-2015 2013 -2014

As far as EP goes - agree with Durocher. The two AA Bantam goalies from last year should battle for the other spot. Also - watch out for Prior Lake. My sleeper pick. They should be climbing the latter and be good for the next 2 years or so. Good crop of '98s and they added a pretty good goalie in Scietz (sp)
With a stacked team last year, neither EP Bantam AA goalie could bring the State Championship home.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

As you know from my July and March original top 10 predictions, I did not have EP in top 10 due to heavy graduation and concern about goaltending. However, with the spectacular play of Middlestadt and Graham, and with solid returning other cast, I finally had to move them up. Both JV goalies had excellent stats last year. We will see before long whether everything gels for EP
green4

Post by green4 »

Bluewhitefan wrote:

Added Gleekel from Blake
Blake is becoming quite the feeder program for Benilde lately