Hermantown at Grand Rapids

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

TheHockeyDJ

Hermantown at Grand Rapids

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

This will be a good test for both teams going into the playoffs. I will be curious to see if Quinn Mischke and/or Alex Adams return for Rapids tonight. Alex has been out for about 3-4 games, Mischke is Rapids top defensemen and has been out since November. Frank Brimsek finalist Hunter Sheperd will be tested plenty in this tilt.

Rapids 4-3 in OT.
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine
kniven

Re: Hermantown at Grand Rapids

Post by kniven »

TheHockeyDJ wrote:This will be a good test for both teams going into the playoffs. I will be curious to see if Quinn Mischke and/or Alex Adams return for Rapids tonight. Alex has been out for about 3-4 games, Mischke is Rapids top defensemen and has been out since November. Frank Brimsek finalist Hunter Sheperd will be tested plenty in this tilt.

Rapids 4-3 in OT.
Rapids gets this one at home. I agree with the DJ
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

Hermantown 4-1
pipersniper12

Re: Hermantown at Grand Rapids

Post by pipersniper12 »

TheHockeyDJ wrote:This will be a good test for both teams going into the playoffs. I will be curious to see if Quinn Mischke and/or Alex Adams return for Rapids tonight. Alex has been out for about 3-4 games, Mischke is Rapids top defensemen and has been out since November. Frank Brimsek finalist Hunter Sheperd will be tested plenty in this tilt.

Rapids 4-3 in OT.
Mischke and Adams are questionable tonight and Mark is out tonight.
Hunt|Fish|Hockey
greenway1969

Post by greenway1969 »

Hermantown 2, Rapids 1, end of period 1. Best period of hockey I've seen Rapids play. Hunter Shepherd has a couple of unbelievable saves.
Bigcat99

Post by Bigcat99 »

GR comes out slow (yet again) and gives up two goals in first five minutes... finally shows some life in latter part of period and gets one back. SOG in favor of HTown 17-9 after one.
It is what it is!
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

greenway1969 wrote:Hermantown 2, Rapids 1, end of period 1. Best period of hockey I've seen Rapids play. Hunter Shepherd has a couple of unbelievable saves.
Besides Adams and Mischke being out, I heard Mark is also out along with a few others either out or trying to play with the flu. Glad to hear they are playing hard and seemed to pick it up even more after Htown went up 2-0.
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine
PuckRanger

Post by PuckRanger »

Avery Peterson ties it on a deflection. 2-2 later in the 2nd.
Frequent_MN_Flyer

Post by Frequent_MN_Flyer »

Rapids up 3-2 late in the second. Another penalty coming to Hermantown. Cheap knee to knee.
PuckRanger

Post by PuckRanger »

Bischoff scores for Grand Rapids to put them up 3-2 as a delayed penalty was coming on Hermantown for a knee-to-knee hit on Avery Peterson. Peterson was very slow to get up, but appears to be alright. What I do not understand is the penalty was still assessed after the goal was scored, so GR is on the powerplay now.
Frequent_MN_Flyer

3-2 Rapids after 2. After slow start Rapids is absolutely dominating one of the best teams in the state. Very encouraging considering we have some kids battling illness and no Mischke or Adams.
greenway1969

Post by greenway1969 »

Rapids 3, Hermantown 2, end of period 2. Rapids was even better this period. Best job of forechecking they've done all year.
Frequent_MN_Flyer

greenway1969 wrote:Rapids 3, Hermantown 2, end of period 2. Rapids was even better this period. Best job of forechecking they've done all year.
See, even greenway1969 has good things to say about Rapids. 8)
PuckRanger

Post by PuckRanger »

Shots on goal in the 2nd period were 17-6 in favor of Grand Rapids. Thunderhawks have completely taken over since the later half of the first period.
PuckRanger

Post by PuckRanger »

Rapids goes up 4-2. Bischoff from Peterson.
Frequent_MN_Flyer

5-2 Rapids! WOW

4 mins left
PuckRanger

Post by PuckRanger »

5-3 Final. Hermantown dominated early, but Grand Rapids pretty much owned this game from the later half of the first period on. Hermantown scored a 4-on-4 goal with 40 seconds left to make it look a little more respectable.
bemused

Post by bemused »

Frequent_MN_Flyer wrote:5-2 Rapids! WOW

4 mins left
AP for Mr. Hockey!
greenway1969

Post by greenway1969 »

Rapids totally controlled the third period with some great forechecking and physical play. I don't know what the coaches did to get the players to start playing with some intensity but they deserve a lot of credit. The way Rapids was playing the last month I had written them off. If they continue to play like tonight they will be a challenge to any team in the Section.
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

PuckRanger wrote:5-3 Final. Hermantown dominated early, but Grand Rapids pretty much owned this game from the later half of the first period on. Hermantown scored a 4-on-4 goal with 40 seconds left to make it look a little more respectable.
. That is a nice win over a quality team. Must have solved the D zone lapses. Good timing for a big win.
greenway1969

Post by greenway1969 »

They did a good job of moving the puck out of their own zone. Hermantown has a good forecheck but the decision-making and the quickness of the the decisions allowed Rapids to move the puck up ice.
Immigrant Fan

Post by Immigrant Fan »

Definitely the T-Hawks best game of the year. Take away that first 5 minutes and it was a dominating performance. I wanted to say it was a beat down, but that won't happen to a H-town team coached by Plante; they are just too good.

They pounded on Peterson pretty severely, including the cheap shot boarding in the last couple minutes. Hopefully, he is ok. I think AP made a pretty strong case for Mr Hockey. He came-up with 4 points against a top team in a nearly must win game, he has the character traits (nice man; family; loyalty to home and teammates), definitely captains this team, and has game.

A good night for Rapids fans.
Not born here...
...but, would hate to leave
north_bear

Post by north_bear »

Immigrant Fan wrote:Definitely the T-Hawks best game of the year. Take away that first 5 minutes and it was a dominating performance. I wanted to say it was a beat down, but that won't happen to a H-town team coached by Plante; they are just too good.

They pounded on Peterson pretty severely, including the cheap shot boarding in the last couple minutes. Hopefully, he is ok. I think AP made a pretty strong case for Mr Hockey. He came-up with 4 points against a top team in a nearly must win game, he has the character traits (nice man; family; loyalty to home and teammates), definitely captains this team, and has game.

A good night for Rapids fans.
Very well said and accurate account of the game and Avery Peterson. He had a kneeing and boarding penalty called on hits on him, cheap hits by Hermantown trying to eliminate the best player. Avery looked a little dinged after the kneeing hit; was a little slower on his feet but his passing and puck possession skills were just as good.

Great total team effort by GR tonight, huge performance from everyone in a huge game! They showed great fight and resolve after getting down 2-0 early and battling back to dominate play and score 5 unanswered goals. Very disciplined play also, didn't take a penalty until the 3rd I believe.

Hope they can keep this intensity up!
Thunderhawk Fanatic!!
Winter is Coming

Post by Winter is Coming »

I have seen a few of their games this year and the thing that jumped out at me last night was the team work. I had a buddy who used to say that granted there is no I in team but there is a ME. Until last night Rapids was very Me. I have not seen all of their games this year but have made it to a bunch of them so this might not be new. Prior to this the Rapids kids looked like a gaggle of skaters on the ice not really playing together not passing not really coordinating. They would get into the zone or on the PP and would spend lots of time dancing around and sloppy passing trying to open up a shooter for the perfect shot on goal. Most of the time they either did not get off a shot or lost the puck and had to start over. last night they went into the lockerroom down by 2 to Hermantown and came out shooting away. I was surprised at how many shots they put on Hermantown's goalie from everyplace they could get their hands on the puck. Following the shot was the crashing to put back the rebound. This clearly frustrated Hermantown who expected them to do what most of the other teams do and that is to drop into survival mode and just try to get through the night alive to fight another day. I think that if GR continues to play this way and to develop that line of hockey that they are more than able to beat East and will be able to give Elk River a good run for their money if they don't beat them out right. It was a very good game and well worth the time spent coming down to see it. On the other hand I think Hermantown got exposed last night and the method to beat them was clearly displayed to all who wanted to watch it and who are able/willing to use it.
HockeyBum

I would like to add some perspective

Post by HockeyBum »

The knee to knee was uncalled for but I don’t believe it was intentional just a kid reaching for a play on a player much quicker than they are or just totally beat.

The boarding penalty was as much Avery's fault as the player being penalized. He saw him coming and turned his back on him. If I was the ref I would have sent Peterson to the box for 5/10/game misconduct simply for pulling a stupid play like that and given the Hermantown player a 2:00 min charging. Nothing cheap about it.

As for the game. Rapids out played HAHA. Great job on the coaching staff of the T-Hawks. Great forecheck.

I would like to see how the poor ref is walking today after being taken down twice in the period!!!