Section 3AA

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Hockey922

Re: 3

Post by Hockey922 »

Tenoverpar wrote:CDH is fully capable of losing to anyone(see Apple Valley 12').
CDH is also fully capable of beating anyone (see Eagan 13' and STA 14')
almostashappy

Post by almostashappy »

HShockeywatcher wrote:
almostashappy wrote:
Simpleton wrote:It would appear the Eagan win solidifies CDH/STA in top 2 spots and EV/Eagan in next 2. Question now is what order for each of the 2 groups? If 'how you finish' is more important than 'how you started' then STA could have an argument for #1 and Eagan for #3.

Obviously we'll know by Sunday...
Just curious....what's the case for STA seeded higher than Eastview?

- They could end up with identical won/loss records.
- Both have beaten Lakeville North.
- Eastview tied Rosemount, STA tied Holy Angels.
- Eastview lost twice to Burnsville, STA lost twice to....Breck?
- STA beat Hill, Eastview beat...Andover?

Of course, if you're talking who is #2 and who is #3, then the only real difference is last line change, or whether you like your home or road sweaters better.
That being said, even with the bullets you pointed out which are clearly cherry picked, I'm very curious how one walks away from even those bullets with "Eastview is definitely better than St Thomas."
Well if I cherry-picked, feel free to point out what I left on the tree. :wink:

I wasn't trying to convince anyone that Eastview is "definitely better than St. Thomas" with that bullet list. It was created to show why I disagreed with the assertion that Eagan's victory over Eastview "solidified" CDH/STA as the top two seeds in the section. The seedings are far from cut-and-dry, in my opinion.
Simpleton

Post by Simpleton »

Rosemount vs. Woodbury result tonight may have big impact on 'bottom 6' seeding. Interesting to see if any of the 6 can knock off one of the top 4.
almostashappy

Post by almostashappy »

Simpleton wrote:Rosemount vs. Woodbury result tonight may have big impact on 'bottom 6' seeding. Interesting to see if any of the 6 can knock off one of the top 4.
It happened last year. :)

The only impact I see on that game is if Rosemount loses....that would definitely put East Ridge in at 5, in my opinion. If the Irish win, then you can have a healthy debate over which team deserves that seeding. Case can be made for both sides.

I'm wondering if the flies on the wall during the 3AA seed meeting will see conference factions break out. If the five SEC teams stick together, they can outvote the 4 SSC teams regardless of which way STA swings. (note: I wrote that last sentence out before I realized that some sensitive souls might take it the wrong way. No bashing implied or intended).
HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher »

almostashappy wrote:Well if I cherry-picked, feel free to point out what I left on the tree. :wink:

I wasn't trying to convince anyone that Eastview is "definitely better than St. Thomas" with that bullet list. It was created to show why I disagreed with the assertion that Eagan's victory over Eastview "solidified" CDH/STA as the top two seeds in the section. The seedings are far from cut-and-dry, in my opinion.
I'd say that within the list leaving EV's loss to LN off is pretty key. I'd also add the comparisons aren't very similar. But oh well.

I think most view Eagan as the bottom of the 4. So if they beat EV, that would "solidify" the other two above them possibly. I think CDH should be top 2 with wins over Eagan and STA. I think STA looks better on paper than both Eagan and EV, but I also think the following seeding would be difficult to argue with, for example:
1. EV
2. CDH
3. Eagan
4. STA

Ultimately, we'll likely see these 4 teams in the semis and finals and see 3 good hockey games regardless of who is in them.
almostashappy

Post by almostashappy »

HShockeywatcher wrote:I'd say that within the list leaving EV's loss to LN off is pretty key. I'd also add the comparisons aren't very similar. But oh well.
I'm fine with noting that EV both beat LN and lost to LN, as long as we further note that while STA beat Hill Murray, they also lost to HM. Pretty same-same to me, but I can see your viewpoint.

The other three teams probably would probably see a bit of an advantage to have last line change against Eagan (given relative strength of their top d-pair). But since I agree that the Cats are probably looking at a 4 seed, that's a moot point if and when they advance from the QF round. Unless the higher seeds have trouble doing the same, of course. :wink:
almostashappy

Post by almostashappy »

Simpleton wrote:Rosemount vs. Woodbury result tonight may have big impact on 'bottom 6' seeding. Interesting to see if any of the 6 can knock off one of the top 4.
Woodbury 3
Rosemount 2

Here we were talking about Rosemount being a potential 5 seed, but now they might be looking at a play-in game next Tuesday against Apple Valley.

5) East Ridge 9-14-1
6) Hastings 10-13-2
7) Woodbury 8-17
8 ) Rosemount 7-15-2
9) Apple Valley 5-19
10) Park 3-21-1
Simpleton

Post by Simpleton »

almostashappy wrote:
Woodbury 3
Rosemount 2

Here we were talking about Rosemount being a potential 5 seed, but now they might be looking at a play-in game next Tuesday against Apple Valley.

5) East Ridge 9-14-1
6) Hastings 10-13-2
7) Woodbury 8-17
8 ) Rosemount 7-15-2
9) Apple Valley 5-19
10) Park 3-21-1
Woodbury has won some important games down the stretch (ER and Rsmnt). Hastings' bigger wins have come outside of the section so it's possible Woodbury could end up with the 6th seed.

Curious to see how 1-4 ends up. If CDH doesn't get the 1 seed then that tells you section/head-to-head games aren't as primary a factor as some would hope/believe. I know they've struggled a bit as of late, but 8-0 is still 8-0.
almostashappy

Post by almostashappy »

Simpleton wrote: Curious to see how 1-4 ends up. If CDH doesn't get the 1 seed then that tells you section/head-to-head games aren't as primary a factor as some would hope/believe. I know they've struggled a bit as of late, but 8-0 is still 8-0.
And 1-2-2 is still 1-2-2. :P

Even if head-to-head does matter a lot, CDH didn't play Eastview. I think that with a 18-6-1 record that EV will end up the top seed, using the same logic that made Eagan top seed last year (despite their blemished regular season record against section teams). The fact that (as far as I know) everybody has Eastview ranked higher than CDH will also be in the back of the minds of the coaches.

That said, I wouldn't at all be surprised to see CDH get top seed, if for no other reason than the fact that the SEC has a majority voting bloc.
hipcheck62

Post by hipcheck62 »

A little off topic but I am curious how they assign the sections. Seems unfair that the 2AA top seed gets a bye in the first round. Why don't they move one of the 10 teams in 3AA to 2AA to give them 8?
Traxler

Post by Traxler »

hipcheck62 wrote:A little off topic but I am curious how they assign the sections. Seems unfair that the 2AA top seed gets a bye in the first round. Why don't they move one of the 10 teams in 3AA to 2AA to give them 8?
I think 2AA had 8 teams until someone opted back to single A. I forget which team it was, but it was mentioned in another thread at the beginning of the season that when Kennedy dropped to single A another team was opting up, but something fell through with that opt-up, so Section 2 was left with 7 teams.
Nuts&Bolts

Post by Nuts&Bolts »

It's almost obvious Almost that you want your Wildcats to play EV. To compare EV getting the 1 seed this year to Eagan getting the 1 seed last year is funny. Scorekeeper wouldn't even make that comparison. :P
almostashappy

Post by almostashappy »

Nuts&Bolts wrote:It's almost obvious Almost that you want your Wildcats to play EV. To compare EV getting the 1 seed this year to Eagan getting the 1 seed last year is funny. Scorekeeper wouldn't even make that comparison. :P
The comparison is valid, to the limited extent that some people were arguing last year that CDH should have gotten the top seed because they were undefeated in the regular season play against section opponents (as opposed to Eagan, who had lost a game to Eastview). If that argument was made within the seed meeting, it didn't carry enough weight, since Eagan still got top seed.

This is not last year, and I'm not claiming that it is. Eastview's record isn't nearly as good as Eagan's was, and CDH has improved on their unblemished record against section foes with regular season wins against good teams in the section (i.e. STA and Eagan).

As for what I would want....I want the Cats to do well in the regular season finale against AV tomorrow night. And then I want them to take care of business in the QF round next Thursday. And after that?

I really don't care. There's great reasons for Eagan fans to want to see match-ups against all three of the other high seeds: CDH, to avenge the regular season loss; Eastview, to avenge last year's section final; and STA, because....well, because they're STA.
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

That's sure a lot of whining about seeding for a section that's likely going to be 2 and out...
InYourFace09

Post by InYourFace09 »

Sparlimb wrote:That's sure a lot of whining about seeding for a section that's likely going to be 2 and out...
Sounds like you should go back to the girls forum.....
Thevalley

Post by Thevalley »

Sparlimb wrote:That's sure a lot of whining about seeding for a section that's likely going to be 2 and out...
A section that is going to be 2 and out? I don't know if you've been paying attention to this season but I would highly doubt if any of the top 4 seeds in this section make it to the tourney and go 2 and out. I think any of these top 4 teams would have a chance at least at the semis if not the championship game. They've shown they can beat anybody in the state.

STA over Hill??
Eagan over Edina??
EV over Lakeville North??
HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher »

Thevalley wrote:
A section that is going to be 2 and out? I don't know if you've been paying attention to this season but I would highly doubt if any of the top 4 seeds in this section make it to the tourney and go 2 and out. I think any of these top 4 teams would have a chance at least at the semis if not the championship game. They've shown they can beat anybody in the state.

STA over Hill??
Eagan over Edina??
The only tournament worthy opponents CDH has beaten are in their section. But I agree about the other 3 8)
Traxler

Post by Traxler »

I'm trying to figure out which sections are likely to lose out at state. I think we can all agree on Section 8 and I would have to put Section 3 as the other.

That being said this doesn't take into account upsets. We all know that White Bear Lake can upset Hill-Murray. And, if they do, they'll certainly lose in the first round again (what's their record at 25, 26, or 27 first round losses?). So it's possible for the Section 3 team to win a game.

Most years I'm surprised at who finishes in 7th and 8th place at the tournament. Maybe I'm the only one, predicting this can be as hard as predicting the championship game teams.
Thevalley

Post by Thevalley »

HShockeywatcher wrote:
Thevalley wrote:

STA over Hill??
Eagan over Edina??
The only tournament worthy opponents CDH has beaten are in their section. But I agree about the other 3 8)
Hence why I didn't have them listed as beating a note worthy opponent like the other three.
almostashappy

Post by almostashappy »

3AA Seedings:
1) Cretin-DH,
2) Eastview,
3) St Thomas Acad,
4) Eagan,
5) East Ridge,
6) Hastings,
7) Woodbury,
8) Rosemount,
9) AV,
10) Park

https://twitter.com/FollowThePuck/statu ... 4292781056

Looks like head-to-head, 8-0 against reg season section opponents, and maybe SEC voting block mattered. CDH might get a QF rematch against Apple Valley, and HSHW gets to see his favorite road jerseys in the semi's. (Hey Hastings! I'm not giving you a chance against STA in QF! Don't bother posting this on your locker room bulletin board, because I'd feel really, really dumb if you proved me wrong! :lol: )
Simpleton

Post by Simpleton »

No big surprises. Will take a pretty large effort for any of bottom 6 to knock off one of top 4.
Hockey922

Post by Hockey922 »

When are the play-in games?
BlueLineSpecial

Post by BlueLineSpecial »

Cretin is a soft #1 seed, period. STA has the most top end talent in this section. Eagan is a team getting it together at the right time and Eastview is there, doing what they've done all year. IMO this is STA's to lose tho. regardless it should be one of the more fun sections.
The City of Hill Murray is beautiful this time of year
NIFALTY

Post by NIFALTY »

Tuesday 7PM at Woodbury and Rosemount
mnhockfan99

Post by mnhockfan99 »

I think STA would be my pick now but I think the games I
have seen their tender is a legit question mark, whichever plays - I think the other top seeds have much better goaltending..but can you stop that deadly top unit of STA?