Elk River (5-2-0) vs Grand Rapids (5-3-0)

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who Wins?

Elk River
46%
Grand Rapids
54%

Total votes: 13

hshockeyfan8

Elk River (5-2-0) vs Grand Rapids (5-3-0)

Post by hshockeyfan8 »

Well, the game that a lot have been waiting for this week is upon us. With huge 7AA implications, I'm hoping for a close one. I'll take Rapids, 3-2. You?
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

Tough physical game tonight for ER, late night for the players. 3 games in three days for both teams. This adds up to a close game.
Berglove Vs Peterson will be the Key, Edina was able to find some holes in him tonight. ER PP struggled. With all that said Rapids has some serious weaknesses outside of Peterson and Shepard. ER should prevail.
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

Let's see if elk river can expose youthful rapids team like the other two top caliber clubs have done. The three games three days evens the table a bit. 3 to 2 ot elks
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

Elks 4-2
Slammer

Post by Slammer »

Grand Rapids will be completely outplayed yet again, I'm guessing 6-2 ER.
DE could've "easily" won state the last 5 years.
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

Lots of season left and Rapids sure could use Quinn Mischke at D right now. I think he comes back around mid-late January. Rapids should consider putting Bischoff-Mattson-Peterson on the top line, I know it's a big section game, but it's still early in the season and that kind of talent would be at least one line that could bring offensive pressure every time they step on ice even against elite teams. Spreading out that talent just isn't bringing enough offense to compliment Sheperd and of course the defensemen have got to stop tossing up so many pizzas up the middle. This is going to be a hard fought game and it seems these two over the years have had a lot of 3-2 games. Elk River will be looking for revenge and I'm sure they'll stress stopping Peterson who beat ER twice in OT last year. I'll take Rapids 3-2 in a minor upset.
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine
Nuts&Bolts

Post by Nuts&Bolts »

Rapids beats Elk River 3-2. I don't get it. Kind of an ugly game with both teams looking tired after the 3rd game in 3 days. Good practice for the state tournament but I suspect East will be the team from 7AA.
MTStringer

Post by MTStringer »

Slammer wrote:Grand Rapids will be completely outplayed yet again, I'm guessing 6-2 ER.
That's why they skate the games.
edgeless2

Post by edgeless2 »

I'm just not getting a number 2 ranking in state and throwing up all over themselves this weekend. Obviously overrated.
Slammer

Post by Slammer »

MTStringer wrote:
Slammer wrote:Grand Rapids will be completely outplayed yet again, I'm guessing 6-2 ER.
Don't get too excited.. It's a long road to state!
Bigcat99

Post by Bigcat99 »

Nuts&Bolts wrote:Rapids beats Elk River 3-2... Kind of an ugly game with both teams looking tired after the 3rd game in 3 days...
It was actually Rapids 4th in 5 nights. But, yeah, it was ugly.

GR should be feeling fortunate, pulling out the most important of the three games where they were outplayed each night. LONG way to go till sections and a good measuring stick of the litany of things to work on.
It is what it is!
MTStringer

Post by MTStringer »

Slammer wrote:
MTStringer wrote:
Not excited at all, or making any predictions. However, I always get a kick out of all the prognosticators pointing out how a bunch of 15, 16, 17 and 18 year olds will play. I find it best to just hope for good hockey.
Slammer

Post by Slammer »

MTStringer wrote:
Slammer wrote:
MTStringer wrote: That's why they skate the games.
Not excited at all, or making any predictions. However, I always get a kick out of all the prognosticators pointing out how a bunch of 15, 16, 17 and 18 year olds will play. I find it best to just hope for good hockey.
Just because they are 16-18 years old doesn't mean the games are going to be completely unpredictable. Most games are easy to predict on who will win, that's why there is rankings and stats, and usually the stats don't lie.

But thank you for the reminder, sometimes it's easy to forget these are a bunch of teenagers and anything can happen!
Slammer

Post by Slammer »

One question- does ER still have the number one seed if you're voting? What happens if East beats GR? Then ER has beaten East, GR has beaten ER, and East has beat GR.... I'm glad I don't do section seedlings! :D
greenway1969

Post by greenway1969 »

Hats off to Rapids. They certainly have grit and determination. This is why you play the games. Elks sure put themselves in a tough spot now come seeding time.
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

Wow, thought ER would put themselves in a better situation with a win. Rapids has a far easier schedule than ER except for the East game. Elk River's seniors need to step up. Still have 2 with Blaine, BSM ect.
Long way to go, no need to panic
Traxler

Post by Traxler »

Slammer wrote:One question- does ER still have the number one seed if you're voting? What happens if East beats GR? Then ER has beaten East, GR has beaten ER, and East has beat GR.... I'm glad I don't do section seedlings! :D
I think if East beats GR then seeding comes down to overall record and/or state rankings to determine the top seed in section 7. I was cheering for GR last night because I felt it was the best thing that could happen for East in the section seedings.
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

Traxler wrote:
Slammer wrote:One question- does ER still have the number one seed if you're voting? What happens if East beats GR? Then ER has beaten East, GR has beaten ER, and East has beat GR.... I'm glad I don't do section seedlings! :D
I think if East beats GR then seeding comes down to overall record and/or state rankings to determine the top seed in section 7. I was cheering for GR last night because I felt it was the best thing that could happen for East in the section seedings.
It will come down to how the coaches vote and that only. If East wins then it would seem the top 3 are on even ground and the coaches will use common opponents in their arguments. Still it simply comes down to match ups the coaches desire and want to avoid. If Rapids wins then I think it's safe to say GR is 1, ER 2, East 3. Then East could be playing Cloquet in the first round.
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine
Slammer

Post by Slammer »

Based on the schedules and who I think will win those games, I'm guessing the seeding will probably end up 1. ER (small chance for DE) 2. DE 3.GR
norcon

Post by norcon »

Slammer wrote:Based on the schedules and who I think will win those games, I'm guessing the seeding will probably end up 1. ER (small chance for DE) 2. DE 3.GR
I expect if Rapids beats East, you will still have them as the third seed. Appears you're not a fan of the black and orange.
Slammer

Post by Slammer »

norcon wrote:
Slammer wrote:Based on the schedules and who I think will win those games, I'm guessing the seeding will probably end up 1. ER (small chance for DE) 2. DE 3.GR
I expect if Rapids beats East, you will still have them as the third seed. Appears you're not a fan of the black and orange.
No, East would be the third seed if they lost. Why would East still be the 2nd seed if they lost head to head to Rapids?

I was just saying the way I feel like things will play out I suspect East will beat GR and that's why they would get the 2nd seed. Just stating my opinion on how I think things will come out. Obviously there is still a long ways to go.
Edinahopkins

Post by Edinahopkins »

East beats rapids gets 1 seed
Gets upset In the semis by FL
Rapids beats ER agin then beats FL
To go to state #earlyprediction :D