Section 3A (2013-2014)

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT »

Found this article on 3A pretty good. If you want to read something about each team and a section preview check it out. Hes got Windom ranked third, which is a touch surprising. I didnt realize how little scoring Marshall has returning. Their top returning point scorer only had eleven points last year. Which is on par with Fairmont. I think Marshall finishing ahead of hutch, litch, and morris is a little zealous but you never know. It comes down to Campion. Cant wait for the season to start!

http://www.mnhockeycentral.com/section-3a
rbmuskiefishin

Re - article

Post by rbmuskiefishin »

Thanks for posting...The web page is a nice effort but I cant say much for actual section knowledge of the person. It appears inflated stats of teams probably factored into the rankings.
notTONIGHT

Re: Re - article

Post by notTONIGHT »

rbmuskiefishin wrote:Thanks for posting...The web page is a nice effort but I cant say much for actual section knowledge of the person. It appears inflated stats of teams probably factored into the rankings.
I agree the article may not have been written by a 3A faithful. However, Devils advocate here, What exactly is an inflated stat? Hear it all the time. Never agree with the term. If Willmar beats Worthington 8-1, and Marshall beats the same Worthington team 4-1, are those four extra goals Willmar scored a product of said inflation? Is that Willmar's fault they field a team with twice the offensive capabilty. Therefore their points don't matter as much because they are "inflated?"

But Maybe if Willmar wins 8-5 instead, these goals are no longer deemed "inflated," because they were more "necessary" in their winning effort?
A goal is a goal, a point is a point. In my opinion
bardown27

Post by bardown27 »

notTONIGHT wrote:
rbmuskiefishin wrote:Thanks for posting...The web page is a nice effort but I cant say much for actual section knowledge of the person. It appears inflated stats of teams probably factored into the rankings.
I agree the article may not have been written by a 3A faithful. However, Devils advocate here, What exactly is an inflated stat? Hear it all the time. Never agree with the term. If Willmar beats Worthington 8-1, and Marshall beats the same Worthington team 4-1, are those four extra goals Willmar scored a product of said inflation? Is that Willmar's fault they field a team with twice the offensive capabilty. Therefore their points don't matter as much because they are "inflated?"

But Maybe if Willmar wins 8-5 instead, these goals are no longer deemed "inflated," because they were more "necessary" in their winning effort?
I think it's due to the fact that if teams like Hutch or Litch or New Ulm played teams like Windom, Worthington, Fairmont or Redwood twice a year like Luverne does instead of Cathedral, Orono, Mound, and Chaska, kids like Tory Adams and Wyatt Peterson would be putting up 50-75 points a year like kids from Luverne do year in year out.
BP

Post by BP »

It's a nice looking website, etc, but has a lack of knowledge on any section. Go through all the other sections, I think they just look at last years stats and makes a guess. Doesn't consider new kids to the program, transfers, teams in wrong sections, etc. Not trying to hack on them, but I'd go by the Hockey Hub Encyclopedia before this site.
TheSiouxSuck

Post by TheSiouxSuck »

bardown27 wrote:
notTONIGHT wrote:

I think it's due to the fact that if teams like Hutch or Litch or New Ulm played teams like Windom, Worthington, Fairmont or Redwood twice a year like Luverne does instead of Cathedral, Orono, Mound, and Chaska, kids like Tory Adams and Wyatt Peterson would be putting up 50-75 points a year like kids from Luverne do year in year out.
Exactly. A kid like Joey Benik had inflated stats. Good talent, enough to land a D1 offer, but would have have scored 50-60 goals a year playing on Edina with their schedule? No.
BP

Post by BP »

TheSiouxSuck wrote:
bardown27 wrote:
notTONIGHT wrote: I agree the article may not have been written by a 3A faithful. However, Devils advocate here, What exactly is an inflated stat? Hear it all the time. Never agree with the term. If Willmar beats Worthington 8-1, and Marshall beats the same Worthington team 4-1, are those four extra goals Willmar scored a product of said inflation? Is that Willmar's fault they field a team with twice the offensive capabilty. Therefore their points don't matter as much because they are "inflated?"

Exactly. A kid like Joey Benik had inflated stats. Good talent, enough to land a D1 offer, but would have have scored 50-60 goals a year playing on Edina with their schedule? No.
Bad example.....he's been pretty damn good the last 2 years for SCSU. But there are others that you could say that for though.
TheSiouxSuck

Post by TheSiouxSuck »

BP wrote:
TheSiouxSuck wrote:
bardown27 wrote: I think it's due to the fact that if teams like Hutch or Litch or New Ulm played teams like Windom, Worthington, Fairmont or Redwood twice a year like Luverne does instead of Cathedral, Orono, Mound, and Chaska, kids like Tory Adams and Wyatt Peterson would be putting up 50-75 points a year like kids from Luverne do year in year out.
Bad example.....he's been pretty damn good the last 2 years for SCSU. But there are others that you could say that for though.
He's doing ok for SCSU but I wouldnt say he's been tearing it up. What I meant is that he currently sits #2 all time for career goals scored, yet I bet not a single person who's ever watched HS hockey would include him in the top 100 all time. His inflated stats were a product of his above average talent and below average competition.
rbmuskiefishin

Post by rbmuskiefishin »

BP wrote:
TheSiouxSuck wrote:
bardown27 wrote: I think it's due to the fact that if teams like Hutch or Litch or New Ulm played teams like Windom, Worthington, Fairmont or Redwood twice a year like Luverne does instead of Cathedral, Orono, Mound, and Chaska, kids like Tory Adams and Wyatt Peterson would be putting up 50-75 points a year like kids from Luverne do year in year out.

You all pretty much nailed down the definition of what I consider a inflated stat.

I think this leads into what makes this section compelling. The teams do not play equal schedules so when tournament time comes around one mans cinderella may be anothers favorite.
fastncrash

Post by fastncrash »

At EVERY level of Hockey, Stats mean squat if you don't come to play!

Should be an entertaining year! :D
notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT »

Anybody see New Ulm play Albert Lea? Scrimmages don't mean squat, but getting only one shot from the red line is alarming. Anyone know if that's true? Luverne played pretty evenly with Albert Lea this afternoon. Couple of goals from the 8th grader. Anyone see anyone else play?
Section 3A HockeyScout

Post by Section 3A HockeyScout »

notTONIGHT wrote:Anybody see New Ulm play Albert Lea? Scrimmages don't mean squat, but getting only one shot from the red line is alarming. Anyone know if that's true? Luverne played pretty evenly with Albert Lea this afternoon. Couple of goals from the 8th grader. Anyone see anyone else play?
Wow Luverne just does NOT GET IT!?!?!? Last year all their gloating had them as easily the most hated program in the section. With the post like the one above they are right back at it this year.

Luverne Booster (AKA notTONIGHT).... It's a SCRIMMAGE it means nothing

Got this from another Thread
"45minute running time scrimmages. No power plays...refs would blow whistles on penalties, but kid just sent to the bench. Some of the better forwards either didn't play or saw limited action. I saw some great goalie saves, but nothing that far out of the ordinary.

If you look at the schedule, you see that many of the teams played back-to-back, and had 3 scrimmages within three or three and half hours. There were a lot of tired legs and few odd-man rushes (especially as day went on).

Finally, all of the coaches were mixing up line combinations, so not much chemistry within lines. The fact that the JV teams were playing in the same location made it even easier for coaches to shuttle bubble kids up/down and mix/match

Over all, about what you expect for first weekend scrimmages. I wouldn't put much faith in the level of play and the reported "scores" as being good predictors of the different teams' success this season

Also, its not New Ulm its NEW ULM AREA... Why I say this if New Ulm had just their town schools they would be middle of the pack this year. They were missing all their Sleepy Eye Kids. Without SE NEW ULM would be way down this year. But now that SESM lost in the DOME at football look for the Eagles to be at full strength this next weekend at the Section 3A Scrimmages.

Hutch is going to the STATE FINAL again for Football which is not until after Thanksgiving.... THAT IS JUST STUPID! Come On Football!! It's the STATE of Hockey figure out a way to end your season faster... Why would you not play it this next weekend just dumb!

Scrimmages are not where scores are to be reported and really you cant take much out of them.

Its A TWO HORSE RACE IN 3A
Hutch & NEW ULM AREA... Dont sleep on Willmar or Campion i mean Marshall :wink:
notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT »

Section 3A HockeyScout wrote:
notTONIGHT wrote:Anybody see New Ulm play Albert Lea? Scrimmages don't mean squat, but getting only one shot from the red line is alarming. Anyone know if that's true? Luverne played pretty evenly with Albert Lea this afternoon. Couple of goals from the 8th grader. Anyone see anyone else play?
Wow Luverne just does NOT GET IT!?!?!? Last year all their gloating had them as easily the most hated program in the section. With the post like the one above they are right back at it this year.

Luverne Booster (AKA notTONIGHT).... It's a SCRIMMAGE it means nothing

Got this from another Thread
"45minute running time scrimmages. No power plays...refs would blow whistles on penalties, but kid just sent to the bench. Some of the better forwards either didn't play or saw limited action. I saw some great goalie saves, but nothing that far out of the ordinary.

If you look at the schedule, you see that many of the teams played back-to-back, and had 3 scrimmages within three or three and half hours. There were a lot of tired legs and few odd-man rushes (especially as day went on).

Finally, all of the coaches were mixing up line combinations, so not much chemistry within lines. The fact that the JV teams were playing in the same location made it even easier for coaches to shuttle bubble kids up/down and mix/match

Over all, about what you expect for first weekend scrimmages. I wouldn't put much faith in the level of play and the reported "scores" as being good predictors of the different teams' success this season

Also, its not New Ulm its NEW ULM AREA... Why I say this if New Ulm had just their town schools they would be middle of the pack this year. They were missing all their Sleepy Eye Kids. Without SE NEW ULM would be way down this year. But now that SESM lost in the DOME at football look for the Eagles to be at full strength this next weekend at the Section 3A Scrimmages.

Hutch is going to the STATE FINAL again for Football which is not until after Thanksgiving.... THAT IS JUST STUPID! Come On Football!! It's the STATE of Hockey figure out a way to end your season faster... Why would you not play it this next weekend just dumb!

Scrimmages are not where scores are to be reported and really you cant take much out of them.

Its A TWO HORSE RACE IN 3A
Hutch & NEW ULM AREA... Dont sleep on Willmar or Campion i mean Marshall :wink:
Can you read english?
Scores dont matter in scrimmages. Your answer about missing sleepy eye kids would have sufficed. I said SCRIMMAGES DONT MATTER!!! RIGHT IN THE POST! it was only a few words, even your simple mind should have been able to find it.
computerguy

3a

Post by computerguy »

New Ulm to vote on new conference
November 19, 2013
Jim Bastian - Journal Sports Writer (sports@nujournal.com) , The Journal
Save | Comments (4) | Post a comment |
NEW ULM - This Thursday, the District 88 School Board will vote on whether or not to join the new Big South Conference (a combination of both the South Central Conference and the Southwest Conference) will be taken.

And by all indications, New Ulm will vote to join the conference.

And why it is probably good for most sports, there are two sports - and in fact two of New Ulm's most successful sports the past few years - that may take a direct hit from it.

Both boy's and girl's hockey have expressed concerns about the new conference.

NUHS boy's hockey coach Erik Setterholm has been very outspoken about the new conference and it's long-range impact on the hockey program.

"I will be honest and say that it is the wrong direction for the hockey program to go," he said. "It is not good for us all at. What has been built here over the years of New Ulm having high school hockey and trying to get us better."

That has meant that over the years New Ulm has tried to schedule tougher non-conference opponents. It is no secret that in order to get better you need to play the best competition that you can.

It has meant knowing that you will probably get beat. But the reverse side of that is the fact that you are giving your kids the chance to improve by playing up a step.

"We have teams like Orono and Providence Academy and The Blake School wanting to play New Ulm is a testament to you doing the right thing for your program," said Setterholm. "Us playing in the new Big South Conference is a step backwards and probably 10 steps back. It is wrong for New Ulm hockey."

It is even more of a problem for the New Ulm girl's hockey program. New Ulm is the heavy favorite to repeat as Section champions again. And all of the teams in the section would be members of the Big South Conference. Look at the past scores of section games New Ulm has played in.

But what options does the hockey program have?

Setterholm said that there is the possibility of one of the co-op schools be the host school.

"We would be called New Ulm Cathedral or Sleepy Eye St. Mary's and they would be the host school," he said. "We would play in their conference and since they do not have hockey in their conference, we would play an independent schedule."

He said that he has not talked to anyone about that.

"Another option is that the school board when they vote will understand where we are at and let us not play in the conference for hockey."

Setterholm did say that potentially playing an independent schedule in hockey is "very feasible. It would be easy to do."

© Copyright 2013 The Journal. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Save | Comments (4) | Post a comment |
Section 3A HockeyScout

Coach Setterholm if you want play better teams then play AA like you should be....

Now he wants to o under a private school name wasn't this the same guy a couple years ago who said all private schools should be AA.

I understand a how he feels but airing it out in a local newspaper lacks professionalism. I didn't realize that he ran the school board over in NU?

Playing 3A teams in like 10 steps backwards?...... Well unless its for playoffs to go to state then its fine... right.

I can see now why New Ulm plays a limited 3A schedule. So many things wrong with that article.... I honestly didn't believe it was a true newspaper article at first.

I understand he is frustrated I guess but those comments should not be made in the paper. Especially when it sounds like from the article he hasnt even discussed it yet with his AD or Superintendent... Just confusing why he is airing out in a paper.

If you read the comments on the article he is getting bashed by other new Ulm people... Looks like a messy situation.
notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT »

Section 3A HockeyScout wrote:Coach Setterholm if you want play better teams then play AA like you should be....

Now he wants to o under a private school name wasn't this the same guy a couple years ago who said all private schools should be AA.

I understand a how he feels but airing it out in a local newspaper lacks professionalism. I didn't realize that he ran the school board over in NU?

Playing 3A teams in like 10 steps backwards?...... Well unless its for playoffs to go to state then its fine... right.

I can see now why New Ulm plays a limited 3A schedule. So many things wrong with that article.... I honestly didn't believe it was a true newspaper article at first.

I understand he is frustrated I guess but those comments should not be made in the paper. Especially when it sounds like from the article he hasnt even discussed it yet with his AD or Superintendent... Just confusing why he is airing out in a paper.

If you read the comments on the article he is getting bashed by other new Ulm people... Looks like a messy situation.
Oh u can read English.
TheSiouxSuck

Post by TheSiouxSuck »

Section 3A HockeyScout wrote:Coach Setterholm if you want play better teams then play AA like you should be....

Going into this conference is bad for New Ulm hockey. Really the only team that will compete with them for the forseeable future is Luverne. The drive times are long, NU would be much better off joining the misota or Big nine conference; better competition and equivalent drive times. More importantly, many of the teams in the southwest dont have enough kids in the program for a JV. That means either NU's JVers are SOL when it comes to playing any games, New Ulm High School can fund two seperate bus trips on Tuesday and Thursdays.
p_cku

WOW SECTON 3A Scout finally get it.

Post by p_cku »

p_cku

Post by p_cku »

Last edited by p_cku on Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
p_cku

Post by p_cku »

New Ulm always wants it their way. They knew they were going to be weak so they destroy another program so they could still be top dog in 3A. There size makes them a class "AA " program but they figure out a way to stay in 3A. At the same time they complain about not wanting to play 3A schools. I guess they forgot how hard it is to build a program and what it feels like to be looked down on all the time now that they are the BIG DOG in 3A. they should be one of the top teams every year because of their size! They have very talented players but so do many of the other schools in 3A they just don't have as many.
Section 3A HockeyScout

TheSiouxSuck wrote:

Going into this conference is bad for New Ulm hockey. Really the only team that will compete with them for the forseeable future is Luverne. The drive times are long, NU would be much better off joining the misota or Big nine conference; better competition and equivalent drive times. More importantly, many of the teams in the southwest dont have enough kids in the program for a JV. That means either NU's JVers are SOL when it comes to playing any games, New Ulm High School can fund two seperate bus trips on Tuesday and Thursdays.

Does the Missota even exist after this year???? I think that conference is no longer there. Red Wing and Northfield are going to the Big Nine so that conference has way too many teams now and New Prague went the Wright County leaving that conference full. Farmington and Shakopee are going to a new metro conference.

For every sport besides hockey New Ulm is a perfect match for the Big South Conference. That is why there school board will vote to joining the new conference tonight. If they don't they would have no one to play in other sports.

Mr. Setterholm needs to realize this and not be bad mouthing is superiors in the paper. I feel for him but this is really New Ulm's only option.

Hey honestly if you sit down and look at it. They already play Waseca, Fairmont, St Peter and Marshall. They games they add are Windom, Worthington and Redwood Valley which are all not a bad drive at all. Luverne is the only "long" trip but that game. They would still have room to play the Providence and Orono and Lourdes.

I just think it is not professional of a coach to put those kind of quotes in a paper.
notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT »

Section 3A HockeyScout wrote:
TheSiouxSuck wrote:

Does the Missota even exist after this year???? I think that conference is no longer there. Red Wing and Northfield are going to the Big Nine so that conference has way too many teams now and New Prague went the Wright County leaving that conference full. Farmington and Shakopee are going to a new metro conference.

For every sport besides hockey New Ulm is a perfect match for the Big South Conference. That is why there school board will vote to joining the new conference tonight. If they don't they would have no one to play in other sports.

Mr. Setterholm needs to realize this and not be bad mouthing is superiors in the paper. I feel for him but this is really New Ulm's only option.

Hey honestly if you sit down and look at it. They already play Waseca, Fairmont, St Peter and Marshall. They games they add are Windom, Worthington and Redwood Valley which are all not a bad drive at all. Luverne is the only "long" trip but that game. They would still have room to play the Providence and Orono and Lourdes.

I just think it is not professional of a coach to put those kind of quotes in a paper.
Professionalism expert: Section 3A hockeyscout
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

Many conferences are merging and not many will have less than 10 schools and it all revolves around football and football scheduling. The MSHSL should have gone to sectional scheduling in football with the option given to some northern schools to opt out given the travel.

For the guy whining about New Ulm being in A, give it a rest. If the MSHSL is about opportunity to participate, and it is, schools shouldn't be punished for giving kids from schools without that sport a chance to participate. New Ulm isn't a co-op because they all of sudden merge with programs that were sustainable without the co-op. It would be nice if Sleepy Eye was able to maintain their own program but they can't. Minneapolis is in A, Como Park is in A and both of those programs are substantially larger than New Ulm. LeSeuer also was moved back to A.
notTONIGHT

Post by notTONIGHT »

goldy313 wrote:Many conferences are merging and not many will have less than 10 schools and it all revolves around football and football scheduling. The MSHSL should have gone to sectional scheduling in football with the option given to some northern schools to opt out given the travel.

For the guy whining about New Ulm being in A, give it a rest. If the MSHSL is about opportunity to participate, and it is, schools shouldn't be punished for giving kids from schools without that sport a chance to participate. New Ulm isn't a co-op because they all of sudden merge with programs that were sustainable without the co-op. It would be nice if Sleepy Eye was able to maintain their own program but they can't. Minneapolis is in A, Como Park is in A and both of those programs are substantially larger than New Ulm. LeSeuer also was moved back to A.
Then why does he whine about competition when he had a chance to attain excellent competition? If Lord Setterholm put his money where his mouth is he would be playing AA wouldn't he?
TheSiouxSuck

Post by TheSiouxSuck »

notTONIGHT wrote:
goldy313 wrote:Many conferences are merging and not many will have less than 10 schools and it all revolves around football and football scheduling. The MSHSL should have gone to sectional scheduling in football with the option given to some northern schools to opt out given the travel.

Then why does he whine about competition when he had a chance to attain excellent competition? If Lord Setterholm put his money where his mouth is he would be playing AA wouldn't he?
There's a difference between scheduling opponents you can be competitive with and being put in a class you simply don't have the resources for. New Ulms coop enrollment is inflated because of the number of schools involved, only two of which they have any players from.