Who's Not Returning 2013-2014

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

wblhcky24

Post by wblhcky24 »

Jake Wahlin will be returning for his junior year at WBL http://www.thehornwbl.com/news_article/ ... _id=603623
2012 pond hockey All Star
Hockey guy1486

Post by Hockey guy1486 »

Hey "Oldschoolpuckster".......what about Sheehy? I am the "dumb one"......look in the mirror or quit talking about every rumor you hear on the street. Out!
Tenoverpar

r

Post by Tenoverpar »

"Jake Wahlin will be returning for his junior year at WBL"

Look for the Bears to be a predominant favorite to win their conference with the top player in the league and a solid netminder. The only question will be if they can get past HM when it matters
norcon

Post by norcon »

Have heard from a very good source that Avery Peterson will be back for his senior season. Plans to play at Sioux City this fall and next spring.
herbst20

Post by herbst20 »

Hockey guy1486 wrote:Hey "Oldschoolpuckster".......what about Sheehy? I am the "dumb one"......look in the mirror or quit talking about every rumor you hear on the street. Out!
I would assume this is just confirmation what other already believe. Yesterday the All American prospects roster was released. Waterloo potentially had 2 players on the list in Warner and Sheehy. The Blackhawks released a press release only acknowledging Warner. With this and Sheehy being on an Elite League roster, it is safe to say he will be staying in MN this year.
observer

Post by observer »

Two years ago Benny Walker played in the Elite League and then went off to Victoria of the WHL after the Elite League season. Not sure why it worked out that way but that is my recollection.
BP

Post by BP »

observer wrote:Two years ago Benny Walker played in the Elite League and then went off to Victoria of the WHL after the Elite League season. Not sure why it worked out that way but that is my recollection.
Yes, I think he left after first day of tryouts at Edina
The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One »

Ouch. Poor Irondale.

Anybody know who the other two prep players are? Cline maybe? They drafted a player out of Michigan HS, so that's probably the third player.
Deep Breath

Post by Deep Breath »

2013 NAHL ENTRY DRAFT --- MINNESOTA WILDERNESS
2. Canon Pieper (Indiana)
52. Billy Exell (Thunder Bay AAA)
76. Phil Boje (Dubuque)
101. Connor Girard (Sioux City)
123. Stu Pomeroy (Culver Academy)
140. Nick McCormack (Minnesota Wilderness)
156. Blake Winiecki (Waterloo)
169. Ted Pieleta (Kingsford HS)
181. Kyle Hayton (Sioux City)
189. Jacob Uglem (Winkler)
196. Joe Drapluk (Minnesota Wilderness)
202. Tyler Cline (Blaine HS)
207. Chris Buchanan (Fargo)
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Looking at USHL's Sept 1st protected Rosters and affiliate protected list I can only Assume the Sheehy will be playing HS Hockey - he is protected on the Affiliate list though

Dittmer (G) wasn't protected on the Lincoln roster or affiliate - I assume he will play for the Spuds for sure. Also, since Perry isn't playing on the Elite League, I assume he is gone. Looks like to the Wenachee Wild - NAHL

http://www.scribd.com/doc/164943962/Sep ... cted-Lists
The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One »

Code: Select all

Class Pos Player           HS Team              New Team             College
So    F   Jesse Gabriel    Eagan                Brandon-WHL
So    F   Jared Mickelson  St. Paul Academy     Omaha-AAA
Jr    F   Shane Gersich    Holy Family          NTDP                 North Dakota
Jr    F   David Brumm      Maple Grove          Omaha-AAA
Jr    F   Dylan Michaud    Cloquet/Esko/Carlton Omaha-AAA
Sr    F   Aaron Herdt      Moorhead             Fargo-USHL
Sr    F   Westin Michaud   Cloquet/Esko/Carlton Corpus Christi-NAHL
Sr    F   Jack Ramsey      Minnetonka           Penticton-BCHL       Minnesota
Sr    F   Karson Kuhlman   Cloquet              Dubuque-USHL         Minnesota-Duluth
Sr    F   Austin Poganski  St. Cloud Cathedral  Tri-City-USHL        North Dakota
Sr    F   Avery Peterson   Grand Rapids         Sioux City-USHL      Nebraska-Omaha
Sr    F   Connor Hurley    Edina                Muskegon-USHL        Notre Dame
Jr    D   Hayden Shaw      Woodbury             Waterloo-USHL
Jr    D   Nick Heid        Spring Lake Park     Omaha-AAA
Sr    D   Brandon Smith    Apple Valley         Gatineau-QMJHL
Sr    D   Logan Von Ruden  Northfield           MN Magicians-NAHL
Sr    D   Alex Fredberg    Irondale             MN Wilderness-NAHL
Sr    D   Hunter Warner    Eden Prairie         Waterloo-USHL        Minnesota State - Mankato
Sr    D   Teemu Kivihalme  Burnsville           Fargo-USHL           Colorado College
Sr    D   Jack Dougherty   St. Thomas           NTDP
Sr    D   Cole Bjugson     Roseau               Fargo-USHL
Sr    D   Blake Hillman    Elk River            Dubuque-USHL
Sr    D   Neal Pionk       Hermantown           Sioux City-USHL      Minnesota-Duluth
Jr    G   Darion Hanson    St. Francis          Omaha-AAA
Jr    G   Jake Kielly      Eden Prairie         Victory Honda-AAA
Sr    G   Chase Perry      Andover              Wenatchee-NAHL
Who did we miss? 26 so far. We recorded 19 early departures last season, 21 the year before that, 23 the year before that, and 10 the year before that. All of these tallies are unofficial, of course, but it's looking like this could be a record year for departures.

Here are some of the higher profile departures (with the benefit of hindsight)...

2009 - Schmidt, Forbort, Boyd
2010 - Reilly (to Shattuck), Skjei, Wilcox, Welinski
2011 - Fasching, Lucia, Lindgren

EDIT: I added a couple based on the USHL 25 Man Rosters. These roster slots are taken for the entire season, so there are rarely "before and after" players unless they are truly blue chip. Notably, I added Hayden Shaw from Woodbury and Aaron Herdt from Moorhead. Somebody please let me know if you believe either of those guys will be back for the HS season.
Last edited by The Exiled One on Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:23 pm, edited 5 times in total.
preferhockey

Post by preferhockey »

Should AAA transfer really be included in list. IMO, no.
The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One »

preferhockey wrote:Should AAA transfer really be included in list. IMO, no.
Feel free to make you're own list then. :)
preferhockey

Post by preferhockey »

I have. Top secret.

Just an opinion.
Immigrant Fan

Post by Immigrant Fan »

I didn't realize it was a foregone conclusion that Avery Peterson was not returning to Grand Rapids for his senior season. It has seemed like a number of clues have pointed to a chance he does return. But, perhaps the orange Kool-Aid is clouding my judgment.
Not born here...
...but, would hate to leave
IMHO

Post by IMHO »

The Exiled One wrote:
Gotta go with Prefer on that one. Going AAA after playing High School is a step backward to younger hockey. That's not leaving to progress, that's regressing to play with younger kids (and perhaps to build stats). In the past years you cite, how many of those departures were to AAA? My bet, ZERO. Let's see what the future holds for those 6 and particularly for the 5 playing U16 in Omaha.

That is of course IMHO. 8)
The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One »

IMHO wrote:
The Exiled One wrote:
Gotta go with Prefer on that one. Going AAA after playing High School is a step backward to younger hockey. That's not leaving to progress, that's regressing to play with younger kids (and perhaps to build stats). In the past years you cite, how many of those departures were to AAA? My bet, ZERO. Let's see what the future holds for those 6 and particularly for the 5 playing U16 in Omaha.

Actually, there have been several in the past. It doesn't really matter if you think it's a step backwards, the kid thinks it's a step forward. Therefore, it's an early departure.

Honestly, the criteria is even simpler than that: if the kid could have played MSHSL but decided not to, they are "not coming back". I once even listed a kid who would've been the starting goalie but decided to just hang them up instead.
Bluewhitefan

Post by Bluewhitefan »

The Exiled One wrote:
IMHO wrote:
The Exiled One wrote: Feel free to make you're own list then. :)

Actually, there have been several in the past. It doesn't really matter if you think it's a step backwards, the kid thinks it's a step forward. Therefore, it's an early departure.

Honestly, the criteria is even simpler than that: if the kid could have played MSHSL but decided not to, they are "not coming back". I once even listed a kid who would've been the starting goalie but decided to just hang them up instead.
True. The list is about "Who is leaving High School Hockey" not "Who will regret leaving High School Hockey."
IMHO

Post by IMHO »

Bluewhitefan wrote:
True. The list is about "Who is leaving High School Hockey" not "Who will regret leaving High School Hockey."
Fair point. Perhaps we should start that thread. :roll:
preferhockey

Post by preferhockey »

Bluewhitefan wrote:
Like it, also is it the kids decision or parents that think their kid is great and decide to leave HS early.
knutzf

Post by knutzf »

You guys crack me up, I bet half of you are the ones constantly complaining about your own programs and would burn rubber leaving your association given the opportunity. Maybe you should just shut up and be thankful that someone left so little johnny actually gets a sniff of varsity this year.
Pretty sure if you put a little more effort into your own kid and a little less in bashing others you might enjoy the results.

But I guess thats just IMHO
Bluewhitefan wrote:
The Exiled One wrote:
IMHO wrote: Gotta go with Prefer on that one. Going AAA after playing High School is a step backward to younger hockey. That's not leaving to progress, that's regressing to play with younger kids (and perhaps to build stats). In the past years you cite, how many of those departures were to AAA? My bet, ZERO. Let's see what the future holds for those 6 and particularly for the 5 playing U16 in Omaha.

The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One »

knutzf wrote:You guys crack me up, I bet half of you are the ones constantly complaining about your own programs and would burn rubber leaving your association given the opportunity.
I'm in the other half. I'm a college hockey fan who likes to keep tabs on prospects from Minnesota. This list helps me do that. I don't have a kid in the MSHSL.
Bluewhitefan

Post by Bluewhitefan »

knutzf wrote:You guys crack me up, I bet half of you are the ones constantly complaining about your own programs and would burn rubber leaving your association given the opportunity. Maybe you should just shut up and be thankful that someone left so little johnny actually gets a sniff of varsity this year.
Pretty sure if you put a little more effort into your own kid and a little less in bashing others you might enjoy the results.

Bluewhitefan wrote:
The Exiled One wrote: Actually, there have been several in the past. It doesn't really matter if you think it's a step backwards, the kid thinks it's a step forward. Therefore, it's an early departure.

Knutz

You're making a huge leap in assuming we care that much about what HS kids do. I'm not sure what 50% I fall in, but for some it's the right decision and some may look back in a few years and wish they'd done it differently - that's life. The bottom line is it's their decsion to make and good luck to them.
Bluelightspecial

Post by Bluelightspecial »

Knutzf, guessing by your first post your going to Omaha? Good luck to your son.
preferhockey

Post by preferhockey »

knutzf wrote:You guys crack me up, I bet half of you are the ones constantly complaining about your own programs and would burn rubber leaving your association given the opportunity. Maybe you should just shut up and be thankful that someone left so little johnny actually gets a sniff of varsity this year.

Not for me. My son had offers to go elsewhere his senior year. No way would we as parents let him regret not spending his senior year with his buds. Was it the right decision, definitely. Did it hurt his hockey development, probably, but that was not our top priority. Graduated, he is now playing juniors.