CJ SMITH LEAVES HS AND COMMITS TO UMASS LOWELL

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

fourthlinegrinder

CJ SMITH LEAVES HS AND COMMITS TO UMASS LOWELL

Post by fourthlinegrinder »

Today CJ Smith of the Austin Bruins commited to Umass-Lowell. CJ was hearing it from the MSHSL for leaving after the Holy Angels after his Sophmore season.Since than he has been playing against some of the best competition in the NAHL. he has commited to play for next season. CJ is still a senior this season in Austin.

I just think its funny that ppl dont understand why kids want to play against tougher competition. Would CJ commit if he played two more years of hs hockey??? yes, but he would not be playing at that high of a level next year, if he stayed.

would playing 60 HS games in 2 years help more???
or would playing 160 games with 20 yr olds help more??
The Best in the Bizz3

Post by The Best in the Bizz3 »

For him it worked, for Bianchi and Mork, they needed at least their junior seasons. Smith is an excellent player, and very deserving. He will play in the USHL next year.
The best, period
Mailman

Re: CJ SMITH LEAVES HS AND COMMITS TO UMASS LOWELL

Post by Mailman »

fourthlinegrinder wrote:Today CJ Smith of the Austin Bruins commited to Umass-Lowell. CJ was hearing it from the MSHSL for leaving after the Holy Angels after his Sophmore season.Since than he has been playing against some of the best competition in the NAHL. he has commited to play for next season. CJ is still a senior this season in Austin.

I just think its funny that ppl dont understand why kids want to play against tougher competition. Would CJ commit if he played two more years of hs hockey??? yes, but he would not be playing at that high of a level next year, if he stayed.

Don't know; maybe ask his dad...... :P
grandmeadowhockeyfan

Austin Bruins

Post by grandmeadowhockeyfan »

Been watching him play for the Bruins and think he will do real well at the next level. Maybe he can finish his career with the Bruins with a championship. They have all sorts of great minnesota talent on that team. AJ Reid, Wahlin, Smith and there are others. Great to see kids from Minnesota do well at the next level.
fourthlinegrinder

I have heard he may stay in junior for another year but KUDOS to CJ
Wallyworld

Post by Wallyworld »

fourthlinegrinder wrote:Today CJ Smith of the Austin Bruins commited to Umass-Lowell. CJ was hearing it from the MSHSL for leaving after the Holy Angels after his Sophmore season.Since than he has been playing against some of the best competition in the NAHL. he has commited to play for next season. CJ is still a senior this season in Austin.

The kids I know that stick around for their last years of HS hockey don't play 30 games a year like you always hear.. They also play 20-25 games in the Elite League each fall which is against other top High School talent, probably at least as talented as the NAHL.

So that's like 55 games a year for top high school kids though depending on school, their actual HS schedule is likely to be against lesser talent but not so for Elite League. - Plus if you are a Hill or Edina kid, you are almost always playing against top 10-15 teams for 2/3 of your HS season so even that knock is debatable.. USHL is another story..
fourthlinegrinder

AJ Reid will be the next Bruin to commit I would imagine. He was once a commit to West Point, My friend says that he has seen many scouts in Austin talking to him but he dosent know where he is planning on playing next season.
grandmeadowhockeyfan

Post by grandmeadowhockeyfan »

AJ Reid has been a standout since the first day he played for the Bruins. I tell you what I was impressed by him in the state tourney and became even more impressed when he outplayed Jr players immediately. Great player. I would say he is even better than Smith.
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

Great for Smith, but leaving hs is nothing unique anymore.
Puckguy19

Post by Puckguy19 »

I am sure he's been "hearing it" from the coaches association, not the MSHSL. They normally don't care. 8)
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

I think the biggest factor would be to have athletic parents that have some size and fast muscle twitch fibers!
keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup »

Really doesn't matter, just another path to the same goal. Look what Toninoto, Guentzel and Kloos are doing in what is considered a superior league. If you can play chances are pretty good they'll find you.