Where do they come from?

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

BadgerBob82

Where do they come from?

Post by BadgerBob82 »

With all the private school talk, I am curious where do the players come from? As in, where did they play their youth hockey? I don't think hijacking Bantam programs counts as playing their youth hockey.
C-dad

Post by C-dad »

In the case of Catholic schools, many come from other Catholic school programs that are k-8 and the student come in at 9th grade. For Blake they can start in elementary school. Not sure about the others.
BadgerBob82

Post by BadgerBob82 »

Rochester Lourdes: 1 lives/played in Winona. 1 lived/played in Red Wing. 1 lived/played in Texas. 1 lives/played in Kasson. The rest lives/played youth hockey in Rochester.
koolio

Re: Where do they come from?

Post by koolio »

BadgerBob82 wrote:With all the private school talk, I am curious where do the players come from? As in, where did they play their youth hockey? I don't think hijacking Bantam programs counts as playing their youth hockey.
Great question. Here are a few private schools at an initial glance (have not accounted for every player/association):

Hill - Roseville, Stillwater, Woodbury, St. Paul (Highland/Central; Como), South St. Paul, Cottage Grove, North St. Paul, White Bear Lake, Centennial, Hudson

STA - Cottage Grove, St. Paul (Highland/Central), WSP-Sibley, Eagan, Chaska, North Branch, Mounds View, Stillwater, Hudson, River Falls, Lakeville North, Milwaukee, Waconia

Cretin - Andover, Centennial, St. Paul (Highland/Central; Como), Eagan, Woodbury, Apple Valley, Stillwater
Chalk_Talk

Post by Chalk_Talk »

C-dad wrote:In the case of Catholic schools, many come from other Catholic school programs that are k-8 and the student come in at 9th grade. For Blake they can start in elementary school. Not sure about the others.
Catholic elementary schools have youth programs?
Mailman

Post by Mailman »

koolio wrote:
BadgerBob82 wrote:With all the private school talk, I am curious where do the players come from? As in, where did they play their youth hockey? I don't think hijacking Bantam programs counts as playing their youth hockey.
Great question. Here are a few private schools at an initial glance (have not accounted for every player/association):

Hill - Roseville, Stillwater, Woodbury, St. Paul (Highland/Central; Como), South St. Paul, Cottage Grove, North St. Paul, White Bear Lake, Centennial, Hudson

STA - Cottage Grove, St. Paul (Highland/Central), WSP-Sibley, Eagan, Chaska, North Branch, Mounds View, Stillwater, Hudson, River Falls, Lakeville North, Milwaukee, Waconia

Cretin - Andover, Centennial, St. Paul (Highland/Central; Como), Eagan, Woodbury, Apple Valley, Stillwater
So, another pandora's box is opened; out of state kids playing in the MN state tournament.

Might as well let Canucks in too, eh ?

Golden rule; person with the gold, makes the rules........
pekyman

Post by pekyman »

Mailman wrote:
koolio wrote:

So, another pandora's box is opened; out of state kids playing in the MN state tournament.

Golden rule; person with the gold, makes the rules........
Wow, can’t believe the size of these private school communities;
out state even! Impressive!!
:roll:
pekyman

Post by pekyman »

koolio wrote:

HERMANTOWN VARSITY 2012 - 2013
20 PLAYERS:

19 Players played for Herm from Peewees and earlier.
Most as toddlers...
1 Player from Virginia as a Bantam.
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

Mailman wrote: So, another pandora's box is opened; out of state kids playing in the MN state tournament.
Nothing new there.

Remember Huffer Christensen?

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
celly93

Post by celly93 »

BSM
Armstrong/Cooper, Orono, Edina (9), Wayzata (4), Hopkins, Minneapolis Park (2), Eden Prairie (2), and Cabridge-Isanti.

The only real outlier is the last one. The rest paint a pretty solid picture of where BSM students come from, although I would've expected the Wayzata and Edina numbers to be flipped. I also would've expected at least one Minnetonka.

Also, I think the creator of this thread needs to realize that just because a player plays for a youth program doesn't mean the player ever attended a public school.
WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus »

pekyman wrote:
koolio wrote:

20 PLAYERS:

Most as toddlers...
This is off topic. What is your point?
Froggy Richards

Post by Froggy Richards »

pekyman wrote:
koolio wrote:

20 PLAYERS:

Most as toddlers...
How many moved there or open enrolled there when they were young. Their Bantam program this year is 25% Proctor and Duluth kids.
WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus »

Froggy Richards wrote:
pekyman wrote:
koolio wrote: Great question. Here are a few private schools at an initial glance (have not accounted for every player/association):

20 PLAYERS:

Most as toddlers...
How many moved there or open enrolled there when they were young. Their Bantam program this year is 25% Proctor and Duluth kids.
Please stay on topic.
BadgerBob82

Post by BadgerBob82 »

The topic was started after seeing Bruce Plante's press conference. So if Hermantown imports players, might be fair game for discussion. I am just curious how many players played their youth hockey in a community far removed from the school they attend.

For instance, I am told some players have 40-50 mile drives and that seems crazy. I can understand Edina kids going to BSM or Holy Angels. Would basically be their "neighborhood" private school. But say a Rosemount kid driving to BSM, seems like a long way to play hockey. Errr, I meant for a good Catholic education.
Bonehead

Post by Bonehead »

If you want to be cynical you could argue that pulling kids from your own section serves double duty come playoff time. If you wanted to be cynical.
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

east hockey wrote:
Mailman wrote: So, another pandora's box is opened; out of state kids playing in the MN state tournament.
Nothing new there.

Lee
HAHA...no they don't. You and I are but a few that recall that FF name.
pekyman

Post by pekyman »

WarmUpTheBus wrote:
pekyman wrote:
koolio wrote: Great question. Here are a few private schools at an initial glance (have not accounted for every player/association):

20 PLAYERS:

Most as toddlers...
This is off topic. What is your point?
Sorry, it asked where players come from and as there has been so much bs on here about Hermantown, I thought I would clarity for the current Varsity team.
They come from..... HERMANTOWN.
14 actually born there.
All except 1 played PeeWees or earlier.
Everybody is aware of the 1 from Virginia that came for way more than just Hockey.
Sorry if I was off topic, I did not think I was.
observer

Post by observer »

You were perfectly on topic. He was just messing with you and forgot the rolling eyes dealeo.
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

northwoods oldtimer wrote:
east hockey wrote:
Nothing new there.

Lee
HAHA...no they don't. You and I are but a few that recall that FF name.
Yeah, when I saw the Canucks comment, his name was the first one which jumped up. Bet it made for some entertaining games between the Falls and FF, huh? :)

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
Froggy Richards

Post by Froggy Richards »

BadgerBob82 wrote:The topic was started after seeing Bruce Plante's press conference. So if Hermantown imports players, might be fair game for discussion. I am just curious how many players played their youth hockey in a community far removed from the school they attend.

For instance, I am told some players have 40-50 mile drives and that seems crazy. I can understand Edina kids going to BSM or Holy Angels. Would basically be their "neighborhood" private school. But say a Rosemount kid driving to BSM, seems like a long way to play hockey. Errr, I meant for a good Catholic education.
Thank you, I thought so too. I just think it's important for those outside of the Duluth area to know the whole story. Nobody needs to feel sorry for Hermantown. I'm not saying Hermantown actively "imports" players. The fact is, they don't have to. They are the most attractive school district and hockey program within 50 miles of Duluth. They deserve a lot of credit for that, they have a good school and have built a great hockey program. Also, the city of Duluth and the Duluth school District has more problems than we could discuss in a week, much less on a forum. Proctor is in rebuilding mode at the Bantam and High School level and will be for a few years, which makes it natural that top players there would look into their options. If Hermantown increases their school capacity which is being proposed, and open enrollment is open again, we could see a pretty mass Exodus there. They may be dominating the AA tourney before too long, there are a lot of good hockey players up here.
Mailman

Post by Mailman »

east hockey wrote:
Nothing new there.

Lee
New to me, thanks for the info. Unbelievable.........

Sorry, never heard of HC. Must be a canuck :)
observer

Post by observer »

This season's Warroad girls team had three sisters from Canada. One will graduate.
HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher »

BadgerBob82 wrote:The topic was started after seeing Bruce Plante's press conference. So if Hermantown imports players, might be fair game for discussion. I am just curious how many players played their youth hockey in a community far removed from the school they attend.

Many parents know where they want to eventually send their child to high school, which plays into their discussion of buying a house. If that high school is private, their options are wider, while if it is public, they generally will choose to live in proximity to it (although they don't have to with open enrollment).

A far drive does not imply anything directly, simply that there is no requirement to live near a private (or public) school. If you are a Benilde alumnus, want to send your children to the school if they get in and also want to live in Rosemount, you are able to do that.
observer

Post by observer »

I think he's suggesting although not impossible it's nutty. It's why the privates end up with a lot of players, and parents, with issues.
HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher »

observer wrote:I think he's suggesting although not impossible it's nutty. It's why the privates end up with a lot of players, and parents, with issues.
My point that many people often ignore is that many people make a decision about high school 10 or more years before a child gets to the school. One of the top things people look at in buying a house is where their child will go to [high] school. This goes the same for public and private schools.
Until recently it was easier for people to change their mind to attend a private school than a public, which has changed.

This is the part of the "recruiting debate" that is interesting for discussion and one that many are in denial about. All communities everywhere recruit (or don't) to get people to move to their community by providing a good community. Some do a better job than others.

Many that end up "leaving their community hockey programs" to go play at a private school had chosen to live in that community because they could be a part of the community and attend the private school they wanted to, not to "hijacking Bantam programs" as was suggested.