7AA Semifinal: #4 Cloquet vs. #1 Duluth East

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

And the winner is...

Cloquet
34%
East
66%

Total votes: 47

karl(east)

7AA Semifinal: #4 Cloquet vs. #1 Duluth East

Post by karl(east) »

After a four year hiatus, one of the state's premier playoff rivalries resumes at noon at Amsoil Arena on Saturday.

Digging through the vault...
-Since 1975, East leads the playoff series 10-9. At least 8 of those games have been decided by 1 goal, including the last 3.
-In sections, Randolph is 5-6 vs. Cloquet; Esse is 4-2 vs. East.
-The lower seed has won five of the past six playoff meetings, though in some of those years the gap in talent was minimal to nonexistent.
-The last meeting took place in 2008, when David Brown scored 4 goals in a 6-5 CEC win, including the game-winner with 12 seconds to go. This game will take place five years to the day after that one. (Yes, I remember these things.) The Jacks also beat East 1-0 in 2006. East's last win was in a double-OT section final upset in 2005.

In more recent history, East has won ten in a row over the Jacks, though the last meeting--a 3-2 win in Cloquet--was probably the closest of the bunch.

More thoughts to come as the week goes on.
Duluth 4

Post by Duluth 4 »

Very excited to make a day out of this at the Amsoil arena and watch the premiere rivalry in Minnesota high school hockey!
Release the Hounds. Trek to the X.
C-dad

Post by C-dad »

Duluth 4 wrote:Very excited to make a day out of this at the Amsoil arena and watch the premiere rivalry in Duluth area high school hockey!
fyp
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

C-dad wrote:
Duluth 4 wrote:Very excited to make a day out of this at the Amsoil arena and watch the premiere rivalry in global high school hockey!
fyp
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine
BodyShots

Post by BodyShots »

TheHockeyDJ wrote:
C-dad wrote:
Duluth 4 wrote:Very excited to make a day out of this at the Amsoil arena and watch the premiere rivalry in section 7AA high school hockey!
fyp
kniven

Re: 7AA Semifinal: #4 Cloquet vs. #1 Duluth East

Post by kniven »

karl(east) wrote:After a four year hiatus, one of the state's premier playoff rivalries resumes at noon at Amsoil Arena on Saturday.

Digging through the vault...
-Since 1975, East leads the playoff series 10-9. At least 8 of those games have been decided by 1 goal, including the last 3.
-In sections, Randolph is 5-6 vs. Cloquet; Esse is 4-2 vs. East.
-The lower seed has won five of the past six playoff meetings, though in some of those years the gap in talent was minimal to nonexistent.
-The last meeting took place in 2008, when David Brown scored 4 goals in a 6-5 CEC win, including the game-winner with 12 seconds to go. This game will take place five years to the day after that one. (Yes, I remember these things.) The Jacks also beat East 1-0 in 2006. East's last win was in a double-OT section final upset in 2005.

In more recent history, East has won ten in a row over the Jacks, though the last meeting--a 3-2 win in Cloquet--was probably the closest of the bunch.

More thoughts to come as the week goes on.
WOW! This will be my first experience of a Cloquet vs. Duluth East section playoff game. I think my heart is going to explode from the anticipation and excitement brings to the table. So much respect for coach Randolph and the Duluth East Greyhounds. They need to get ESPN here for this one. People would be amazed for sure.
grandindian

Post by grandindian »

Saturday is gonna be fun. I am a GR fan but am really looking forward to seeing the DE and Cloquet game as well. Two quality hockey clubs and alot of history there for sure!
Duluth 4

Post by Duluth 4 »

C-dad wrote:
Duluth 4 wrote:Very excited to make a day out of this at the Amsoil arena and watch the premiere rivalry in Duluth area high school hockey!
fyp
Not quite sure what went through my mind at that moment, I was going for Minnesota.
Release the Hounds. Trek to the X.
allstatebenders

Post by allstatebenders »

East wins easily 5-1.
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

Duluth 4 wrote:
C-dad wrote:
fyp
Not quite sure what went through my mind at that moment, I was going for Minnesota.
You did say Minnesota. C-Dad changed it when quoting you, thus the "fyp" (fixed your post)

Actually, I would prefer Universe to Minnesota. :mrgreen:

It will be interesting to see who Cloquet starts in goal.

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
BodyShots

Post by BodyShots »

east hockey wrote:
Duluth 4 wrote:
C-dad wrote: fyp
You did say Minnesota. C-Dad changed it when quoting you, thus the "fyp" (fixed your post)

Lee
You will find out real quick, when he turns around to fish the puck out of his net. :wink:
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

allstatebenders wrote:East wins easily 5-1.
Just like Rapids was gonna lose in quarterfinals? I can't wait to be cheering with the CEC fans on Saturday.
Usthockey13

Post by Usthockey13 »

Im takin East 4-2 with an ENG
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

One thing myself and most other 7AA fans have complained about is that the DECC/Amsoil Arena has only opened their doors 50-60 minutes before the first game and the lobby gets way too crowded. I think we should all email or Facebook message the DECC and let them know they should open at 10:30 am because we'd all like to get in and get something at concessions and reserve our seat rather than stand in line in the lobby forever.
Lumberjack

Post by Lumberjack »

east hockey wrote:
Duluth 4 wrote:

Lee
I am a little baffled by this goaltending routine at Cloquet. Ketola started the season and eventhough they won a few games, he made some poor decisions when playing the puck (costing them the Jefferson game in my opinion), then Strom enters the picture and looked pretty solid. All of a sudden Ketola is back.
Anyone have any insight on this?
If they run with Ketola against East, my hope is he sticks to the basics, controls his rebounds and plays it simple. He seems to get in trouble when he tries to do too much.
allstatebenders

TheHockeyDJ wrote:
Just like Rapids was gonna lose in quarterfinals? I can't wait to be cheering with the CEC fans on Saturday.
Did you watch the quarterfinal game...? St. Francis could've easily stole that game if they just played one more period of good hockey. I called that upset because I thought the tendy would've had a huge game again (and he did) they just let it get away from them in the third. And yes I think East wins easily because they have the best D in the state and I think Parker is starting to find his groove again, and the lines are clicking at the right time. Don't forget this is a team that beat Minnetonka AND Edina 4-1 and the also beat Minnetonka again. I believe Randpolph won't let them take this too lightly and they will be ready to come out and play Saturday. So I really do think the #3 ranked Hounds can easily take care of a good but not great Cloquet team. But I do know that this is high school hockey and anything can happen, so I wouldn't be shocked if Cloquet can pull it off. But still I think DE has way too good of defense and scoring ability for Cloquet to win this game. Should be a great Saturday but I'm thinking DE and ER are going to play in the finals next Thursday night.
thebluemamba

Post by thebluemamba »

Does anyone thing that Cloquet's goaltending uncertainty could alter how East prepares for the game?
Usthockey13

Post by Usthockey13 »

no
thebluemamba wrote:Does anyone thing that Cloquet's goaltending uncertainty could alter how East prepares for the game?
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

He looked good vs FL Tues.
allstatebenders

thebluemamba wrote:Does anyone thing that Cloquet's goaltending uncertainty could alter how East prepares for the game?
No
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

BodyShots wrote:
TheHockeyDJ wrote:
Out of curiosity, which rivalries would people rank ahead of this one? I wouldn't really argue with two: Warroad-Roseau (though that one has zero playoff significance) and WBL-Hill (which is, historically, much more lopsided than East-Cloquet). What else?
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

allstatebenders wrote:
TheHockeyDJ wrote:
Did you watch the quarterfinal game...? St. Francis could've easily stole that game if they just played one more period of good hockey. I called that upset because I thought the tendy would've had a huge game again (and he did) they just let it get away from them in the third. And yes I think East wins easily because they have the best D in the state and I think Parker is starting to find his groove again, and the lines are clicking at the right time. Don't forget this is a team that beat Minnetonka AND Edina 4-1 and the also beat Minnetonka again. I believe Randpolph won't let them take this too lightly and they will be ready to come out and play Saturday. So I really do think the #3 ranked Hounds can easily take care of a good but not great Cloquet team. But I do know that this is high school hockey and anything can happen, so I wouldn't be shocked if Cloquet can pull it off. But still I think DE has way too good of defense and scoring ability for Cloquet to win this game. Should be a great Saturday but I'm thinking DE and ER are going to play in the finals next Thursday night.
Easily stole that game? You are clueless. St. Francis was completely overmatched and it was like GR was on the power play the entire game. Hanson just stood on his head for the whole game, but even that wasn't enough this time around as the pressure Rapids put on was just too great for one player to win the game by himself like he did in December. Rapids is also a much different team being at 100% health and the lines are different and more potent.
Bonehead

Post by Bonehead »

[/quote]

Out of curiosity, which rivalries would people rank ahead of this one? I wouldn't really argue with two: Warroad-Roseau (though that one has zero playoff significance) and WBL-Hill (which is, historically, much more lopsided than East-Cloquet). What else?[/quote]

Not even close historically but BSM Tonka since Pauly switched has been fun. Would be really fun if BSM students represented like Tonka's do!
pipersniper12

Post by pipersniper12 »

karl(east) wrote:
Out of curiosity, which rivalries would people rank ahead of this one? I wouldn't really argue with two: Warroad-Roseau (though that one has zero playoff significance) and WBL-Hill (which is, historically, much more lopsided than East-Cloquet). What else?
Moose Lake and Pine City/Rush City
Hunt|Fish|Hockey
allstatebenders

pipersniper12 wrote:
karl(east) wrote:
Moose Lake and Pine City/Rush City
Did moose lake forfeit their last game? Wasn't sure if that was a rumor.