7AA Semifinal: #4 Cloquet vs. #1 Duluth East

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

And the winner is...

Cloquet
34%
East
66%

Total votes: 47

pipersniper12

Post by pipersniper12 »

TheHockeyDJ wrote:
allstatebenders wrote:
TheHockeyDJ wrote: Just like Rapids was gonna lose in quarterfinals? I can't wait to be cheering with the CEC fans on Saturday.
Did you watch the quarterfinal game...? St. Francis could've easily stole that game if they just played one more period of good hockey. I called that upset because I thought the tendy would've had a huge game again (and he did) they just let it get away from them in the third. And yes I think East wins easily because they have the best D in the state and I think Parker is starting to find his groove again, and the lines are clicking at the right time. Don't forget this is a team that beat Minnetonka AND Edina 4-1 and the also beat Minnetonka again. I believe Randpolph won't let them take this too lightly and they will be ready to come out and play Saturday. So I really do think the #3 ranked Hounds can easily take care of a good but not great Cloquet team. But I do know that this is high school hockey and anything can happen, so I wouldn't be shocked if Cloquet can pull it off. But still I think DE has way too good of defense and scoring ability for Cloquet to win this game. Should be a great Saturday but I'm thinking DE and ER are going to play in the finals next Thursday night.
Easily stole that game? You are clueless. St. Francis was completely overmatched and it was like GR was on the power play the entire game. Hanson just stood on his head for the whole game, but even that wasn't enough this time around as the pressure Rapids put on was just too great for one player to win the game by himself like he did in December. Rapids is also a much different team being at 100% health and the lines are different and more potent.
Hate to say it but I agree with Disc Jockey. Last night was a very dominant game by GR. This game easily could have been 15-0 like the DE game.
Hunt|Fish|Hockey
WBLHockeyfan04

Post by WBLHockeyfan04 »

karl(east) wrote:
BodyShots wrote:
TheHockeyDJ wrote:
Out of curiosity, which rivalries would people rank ahead of this one? I wouldn't really argue with two: Warroad-Roseau (though that one has zero playoff significance) and WBL-Hill (which is, historically, much more lopsided than East-Cloquet). What else?
Never seen a game in the Cloquet/East rivalry. If they meet again in a section championship I'll definitely need to check that one out . I may be biased by my username, but some of the greatest games I've ever been to are some of the WBL/Hill games at the coliseum. Crowds are standing room only at times in the coliseum, OT, and multiple OT games are almost a given. Besides 2010, basically all of the games in recent history were decided by a goal. The 2011 and 2006 section finals game were two of the greatest games I've ever seen in person. With my favorite being the 2002 National championship game at the X!
allstatebenders

Post by allstatebenders »

TheHockeyDJ wrote:
allstatebenders wrote:
TheHockeyDJ wrote: Just like Rapids was gonna lose in quarterfinals? I can't wait to be cheering with the CEC fans on Saturday.
Did you watch the quarterfinal game...? St. Francis could've easily stole that game if they just played one more period of good hockey. I called that upset because I thought the tendy would've had a huge game again (and he did) they just let it get away from them in the third. And yes I think East wins easily because they have the best D in the state and I think Parker is starting to find his groove again, and the lines are clicking at the right time. Don't forget this is a team that beat Minnetonka AND Edina 4-1 and the also beat Minnetonka again. I believe Randpolph won't let them take this too lightly and they will be ready to come out and play Saturday. So I really do think the #3 ranked Hounds can easily take care of a good but not great Cloquet team. But I do know that this is high school hockey and anything can happen, so I wouldn't be shocked if Cloquet can pull it off. But still I think DE has way too good of defense and scoring ability for Cloquet to win this game. Should be a great Saturday but I'm thinking DE and ER are going to play in the finals next Thursday night.
Easily stole that game? You are clueless. St. Francis was completely overmatched and it was like GR was on the power play the entire game. Hanson just stood on his head for the whole game, but even that wasn't enough this time around as the pressure Rapids put on was just too great for one player to win the game by himself like he did in December. Rapids is also a much different team being at 100% health and the lines are different and more potent.
I don't think I'm clueless. As a former MN high school hockey goalie I can definitely say I've stole a couple of games as well. It happens. One more period of great goaltending from that kid and GR would've been sitting at home on Saturday. So I don't think I'm clueless when I say that great goaltending can steal games. I've been in his same exact position before. GR has a very great team this year though, and if they do make it to state ill definitely be rooting for 'em.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

2) Grand Rapids 6, (7) St. Francis 2
GR: Avery Peterson 2g (1eng), 3a, Jonah Bischoff 2g, 2a
GR: Eli Mangni 1g, Reid Holum 1g, Jake Bischoff 3a
GR: Hunter Shepard 12 saves
SF: Cameron Kaehler 1ppg, Zach Foesch 1g
SF: Darion Hanson 27 saves
GWG: Avery Peterson 3rd period 0:37
pipersniper12

Post by pipersniper12 »

allstatebenders wrote:
pipersniper12 wrote:
karl(east) wrote:
Out of curiosity, which rivalries would people rank ahead of this one? I wouldn't really argue with two: Warroad-Roseau (though that one has zero playoff significance) and WBL-Hill (which is, historically, much more lopsided than East-Cloquet). What else?
Moose Lake and Pine City/Rush City
Did moose lake forfeit their last game? Wasn't sure if that was a rumor.
Thats what the 10 o'clock news stated. Due to injuries.
Hunt|Fish|Hockey
allstatebenders

pipersniper12 wrote:
allstatebenders wrote:
pipersniper12 wrote: Moose Lake and Pine City/Rush City
Did moose lake forfeit their last game? Wasn't sure if that was a rumor.
Thats what the 10 o'clock news stated. Due to injuries.
Feel bad for that team. Very bad year for them
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

I went in search of old pictures...forgive the shoddy photography, but this should give some idea.

This is the East side of the old DECC during a regular season game in 2008.

And this is the Cloquet side in the 08 semifinal meeting:

The old DECC held about 5,000 people. We'll see what we can get into Amsoil.
WBLHockeyfan04

Post by WBLHockeyfan04 »

karl(east) wrote:I went in search of old pictures...forgive the shoddy photography, but this should give some idea.

This is the East side of the old DECC during a regular season game in 2008.

And this is the Cloquet side in the 08 semifinal meeting:

The old DECC held about 5,000 people. We'll see what we can get into Amsoil.

This is awesome! I love the atmosphere in those old venues come section playoff time.
Nostalgic Nerd

Post by Nostalgic Nerd »

karl(east) wrote:
BodyShots wrote:
TheHockeyDJ wrote:
If I remember right the East-Cloquet is closest in terms of margin-of-victory. The Moorhead-Roseau rivalry in sectionals is fairly even in terms of who wins but can be a bit lopsided in score as one is usually down in talent. I believe the WBL-Hill one is still second best.
I can splash in the rink puddles!
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

allstatebenders wrote:
TheHockeyDJ wrote:
allstatebenders wrote:East wins easily 5-1.
Just like Rapids was gonna lose in quarterfinals? I can't wait to be cheering with the CEC fans on Saturday.
Really out on limb here, are you picking both teams like Sid Hartman?
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

From 2006:

YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine
CB00

Post by CB00 »

TheHockeyDJ wrote:
allstatebenders wrote:
Did you watch the quarterfinal game...? St. Francis could've easily stole that game if they just played one more period of good hockey. I called that upset because I thought the tendy would've had a huge game again (and he did) they just let it get away from them in the third. And yes I think East wins easily because they have the best D in the state and I think Parker is starting to find his groove again, and the lines are clicking at the right time. Don't forget this is a team that beat Minnetonka AND Edina 4-1 and the also beat Minnetonka again. I believe Randpolph won't let them take this too lightly and they will be ready to come out and play Saturday. So I really do think the
ranked Hounds can easily take care of a good but not great Cloquet team. But I do know that this is high school hockey and anything can happen, so I wouldn't be shocked if Cloquet can pull it off. But still I think DE has way too good of defense and scoring ability for Cloquet to win this game. Should be a great Saturday but I'm thinking DE and ER are going to play in the finals next Thursday night.
Easily stole that game? You are clueless. St. Francis was completely overmatched and it was like GR was on the power play the entire game. Hanson just stood on his head for the whole game, but even that wasn't enough this time around as the pressure Rapids put on was just too great for one player to win the game by himself like he did in December. Rapids is also a much different team being at 100% health and the lines are different and more potent.[/quote

Can't wait to hear the excuses DJ has on Saturday night after ER BEATS THUNDERCHICKENS. That will get him going!
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

DJ: I found myself in your 2006 picture. :)

Question for those of you who have been to a Semifinal Saturday at Amsoil before: how do they arrange the seating? At the old DECC they just stuck one team in each game along one side, but since Amsoil isn't symmetrical, I assume it isn't that easy...
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

From two years ago they had the student sections for the semi-finals assigned this way: East 120,121. Elk River 106,107. Rapids 102,103. Cloquet 116,117. I believe the rest was all a free-for-all. At the section final in 2011 it was split down center ice on both sides, lower and upper level. Rapids was on the Lake half of the ice and East on the hillside half.
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine
GPGT

Post by GPGT »

I dont know why , but section playoffs are more nerve racking to me than state.. Seems like East does better down at the X than they do against rivals in the section.. Between CEC and GR its always a little to close for comfort, with ER lingering as well
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

Questions I have heading into Saturday that will likely affect the outcome of this one:

-Is Ketola in net again for CEC? He started the first game against East and let in 5, while Strom started the second and let in 3.
-Esse has gone back and forth all season with his line match-ups. What does he go with in their biggest game of the year? Does he concede the edge in depth to the Hounds and load up on the top line? Or does he try to create more depth? If it's the former, does that top line have enough in the tank to put the team on their backs, and can the lower lines hold even? Or if it's the latter, can any one line generate enough offense?
-Considering that the East PP is running at about 75% over the past month, can the Jacks stay out of the box?

-Is Hogan Davidson cleared to play for East, and if so, how does he fit into the game plan?
-How aggressive will the Hounds be on the forecheck? Breakouts can be an issue for Cloquet, but if they press too far forward, they could be vulnerable in back, and the Jacks have the talent to burn them.
-Does Randolph use the last change to do any line-matching, or does he roll with what he has?
GPGT

Post by GPGT »

karl(east) wrote:Questions I have heading into Saturday that will likely affect the outcome of this one:

-Is Ketola in net again for CEC? He started the first game against East and let in 5, while Strom started the second and let in 3.
-Esse has gone back and forth all season with his line match-ups. What does he go with in their biggest game of the year? Does he concede the edge in depth to the Hounds and load up on the top line? Or does he try to create more depth? If it's the former, does that top line have enough in the tank to put the team on their backs, and can the lower lines hold even? Or if it's the latter, can any one line generate enough offense?
-Considering that the East PP is running at about 75% over the past month, can the Jacks stay out of the box?

-Is Hogan Davidson cleared to play for East, and if so, how does he fit into the game plan?
-How aggressive will the Hounds be on the forecheck? Breakouts can be an issue for Cloquet, but if they press too far forward, they could be vulnerable in back, and the Jacks have the talent to burn them.
-Does Randolph use the last change to do any line-matching, or does he roll with what he has?

Im sure any team in the state would love CECs first line, but when Esse took on of the Michaud boys and put him on the second line, it seems like it was actually adding a bit of depth to 3 lines now, with a solid 1st and 2nd... Nerve racking time, and its still 2 days away!!
allstatebenders

karl(east) wrote:Questions I have heading into Saturday that will likely affect the outcome of this one:

Is Hogan a really coming back? That kid was a stud for the games he played. Has great hands and is one of the fastest players I've seen on high school hockey.
GPGT

Post by GPGT »

allstatebenders wrote:

Is Hogan a really coming back? That kid was a stud for the games he played. Has great hands and is one of the fastest players I've seen on high school hockey.

This, Almost forgot about him... WHat happened again?
GPGT

Post by GPGT »

has he been at practices?
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

allstatebenders wrote:Is Hogan a really coming back? That kid was a stud for the games he played. Has great hands and is one of the fastest players I've seen on high school hockey.
He was going in for tests yesterday to decide if he was fit to play. He has been skating with the team (no contact, of course--the original injury was a ruptured spleen), and they did use one of their playoff roster spots on him. I haven't heard whether he'll be playing on Saturday or not.

He had a hat trick in the first game against Cloquet. If he's healthy and able to jump right back in, that's a nice bonus for the Hounds' depth.
GPGT

Post by GPGT »

Best of luck to him.. Hope he can make it back!
BodyShots

Post by BodyShots »

GPGT wrote:

Im sure any team in the state would love CECs first line, but when Esse took on of the Michaud boys and put him on the second line, it seems like it was actually adding a bit of depth to 3 lines now, with a solid 1st and 2nd... Nerve racking time, and its still 2 days away!!
OMG, are they going to have white tape or black tape on their sticks.... :P
GPGT

Post by GPGT »

BodyShots wrote:
GPGT wrote:

OMG, are they going to have white tape or black tape on their sticks.... :P

Black of course , didn't you get the memo?

"Section 7AA Semifinal Saturday at Amsoil Arena is 49hrs 29 minutes away from puck drop between the Duluth East Greyhounds (22-4) and RIVAL Cloquet Lumberjacks (16-8-2) in what will be a great action packed game! Hounds fans wear all Black to the game! 12pm Saturday!"
allstatebenders

Actually getting a little nervous for this game... It's hard to beat a team three times in a season. Even more nervous that after East loses in the playoffs (if they do) their dominance is essiently over for a while until they rebuild. Hope they can make it through this game!