AA Rankings for 2/3/13

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

Slap Shot wrote:Were either of those odd losses played without Bischoff? Having him back has made a huge difference.
He was out for the Forest Lake loss, but was back in time for St. Francis.
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

Slap Shot wrote:Were either of those odd losses played without Bischoff? Having him back has made a huge difference.
They had him for the St. Francis game, but they were missing 3-4 guys every night, mostly due to the flu, through mid January. Rapids has only been at 100% for a couple weeks and they are starting to play like it. Cody Mann took a vicious hit vs Moorhead on Sat. and went to the hospital, he got a hat trick tonight vs. Hibbing.
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine
Ogie

Post by Ogie »

9. Prior Lake (13-7)
-After giving Eagan a much better run than Burnsville did this past week, I’ve slipped the Lakers ahead of Burnsville in anticipation of their meeting this Tuesday. Despite the lack of overwhelming talent, this pesky team has been doing a very good job of hanging in there with everyone they play, and they show no sign of abandoning that trend. A win over the Blaze should lock up the 2-seed in 2AA, while a loss would leave them at #3.
This week: Tues at #10 Burnsville, Thurs vs. St. Michael-Albertville
And they skunked 'em 4-0

Looks like the 2AA sectionals are going to be interesting to watch.
Buy ya a soda after the game!
Laker Guy

Post by Laker Guy »

Ogie wrote:
9. Prior Lake (13-7)
-After giving Eagan a much better run than Burnsville did this past week, I’ve slipped the Lakers ahead of Burnsville in anticipation of their meeting this Tuesday. Despite the lack of overwhelming talent, this pesky team has been doing a very good job of hanging in there with everyone they play, and they show no sign of abandoning that trend. A win over the Blaze should lock up the 2-seed in 2AA, while a loss would leave them at #3.
This week: Tues at #10 Burnsville, Thurs vs. St. Michael-Albertville
And they skunked 'em 4-0

Looks like the 2AA sectionals are going to be interesting to watch.

Prior Lake looked very good at Burnsville last night. Despite having 7 losses, those losses do not look too bad - a 1-goal loss to Edina in the final minute of the game; an early season loss to Lakeville South, who they have beaten twice since; an early season loss to Jefferson who they have beat since; an OT loss to Eden Prairie; 2 losses to Eagan; and the only "bad" loss - a 1-0 OT loss to Eastview. They are on a bit of a roll now and will be dangerous in 2AA.
almostashappy

Post by almostashappy »

Laker Guy wrote: Prior Lake looked very good at Burnsville last night. Despite having 7 losses, those losses do not look too bad - a 1-goal loss to Edina in the final minute of the game; an early season loss to Lakeville South, who they have beaten twice since; an early season loss to Jefferson who they have beat since; an OT loss to Eden Prairie; 2 losses to Eagan; and the only "bad" loss - a 1-0 OT loss to Eastview. They are on a bit of a roll now and will be dangerous in 2AA.
I would be quicker to label the first Eagan loss (6-3) as "bad" than the 1-0 OT loss to Driscoll. Neither are all that horrific, though.
Ogie

Post by Ogie »

Really liked what I saw from PL in the Schwan cup and a couple of the other games I watched this year...A shame I was out of town and missed the Burnsville skunking.
scorekeeper

Re: AA Rankings for 2/3/13

Post by scorekeeper »

karl(east) wrote: 5. Eagan (17-3-1)

6. Edina (16-5)

7. Wayzata (17-4)
I imagine this will solidify now after Wayzata's loss to #13 EP and Edina needed OT to squeak by #18 CDH. Good call Karl.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

scorekeeper wrote:

6. Edina (16-5)

7. Wayzata (17-4)
I imagine this will solidify now after Wayzata's loss to #13 EP and Edina needed OT to squeak by #18 CDH. Good call Karl.
Looks like it, yes...with Blaine on a tear, they may climb into the picture at #7 now, too. Of those three, Eagan is certainly playing the best right now. Not sure what else the Wildcats have to do to move up in the LPH rankings.

I also need to figure out how far Eden Prairie should climb after beating Wayzata, though they have another big game looming on Saturday that I'll need to factor in.
scorekeeper

Post by scorekeeper »

karl(east) wrote:
scorekeeper wrote:

6. Edina (16-5)

7. Wayzata (17-4)
Looks like it, yes...with Blaine on a tear, they may climb into the picture at #7 now, too. Of those three, Eagan is certainly playing the best right now. Not sure what else the Wildcats have to do to move up in the LPH rankings.

I also need to figure out how far Eden Prairie should climb after beating Wayzata, though they have another big game looming on Saturday that I'll need to factor in.

Not sure Eagan can climb based on remaining schedule. Will do wellto hold onto #5. I guess blowouts of Lakeville North and East view would help, but even then would need to be coupled with a Tonla let down I would think.
Ogie

Post by Ogie »

scorekeeper wrote:

Not sure Eagan can climb based on remaining schedule. Will do wellto hold onto #5....
Nuts&Bolts

Post by Nuts&Bolts »

I like my weekends but am hurrying this one along to see Karl's Sunday morning rankings with bonus coverage of the likely section seedings. Karl, might we see a Duluth East slip for doing nothing overy wrong? Most won't hold it against you but Tonka staying clean in the Lake is solid. I'm sill mystified how BSM got back to #2 so quickly after the loss to Grand Rapids and think Tonka gets the #1 seed in Section 6 ahead of BSM.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

Nuts&Bolts wrote:I like my weekends but am hurrying this one along to see Karl's Sunday morning rankings with bonus coverage of the likely section seedings. Karl, might we see a Duluth East slip for doing nothing overy wrong? Most won't hold it against you but Tonka staying clean in the Lake is solid. I'm sill mystified how BSM got back to #2 so quickly after the loss to Grand Rapids and think Tonka gets the #1 seed in Section 6 ahead of BSM.
As impressive as Tonka's run through the Lake has been, and as unsettled as I am personally by having East as high as I do, it's hard to justify putting the Skips ahead of East when they've lost to the Hounds twice this year, with one of those losses coming very recently. Likewise, they didn't just lose to BSM, they got pounded 5-1. And while the Lake schedule is nasty, Benilde and East both play fairly comparable schedules. According to PS2, at least, the gap between Benilde and Tonka's SOS is negligible, and BSM is 18-5 while Tonka is 17-5-1. When you add up the similar records and schedules with the head-to-head result and Benilde's more impressive computer ranking due to their more explosive offense, I'm not sure the Skippers can dislodge Benilde from the top spot.

Though really, with EP the likely 4-seed and Wayzata the likely 3-seed, it might actually be better for Tonka to be #2, considering how each of those teams are playing right now.

As for the last question, Benilde certainly did get some benefit of the doubt when they jumped back up to #2, though I think they validated that decision with the win over Shattuck this week.
tonkafan77

Post by tonkafan77 »

karl(east) wrote:
Nuts&Bolts wrote:I like my weekends but am hurrying this one along to see Karl's Sunday morning rankings with bonus coverage of the likely section seedings. Karl, might we see a Duluth East slip for doing nothing overy wrong? Most won't hold it against you but Tonka staying clean in the Lake is solid. I'm sill mystified how BSM got back to #2 so quickly after the loss to Grand Rapids and think Tonka gets the #1 seed in Section 6 ahead of BSM.
As impressive as Tonka's run through the Lake has been, and as unsettled as I am personally by having East as high as I do, it's hard to justify putting the Skips ahead of East when they've lost to the Hounds twice this year, with one of those losses coming very recently. Likewise, they didn't just lose to BSM, they got pounded 5-1. And while the Lake schedule is nasty, Benilde and East both play fairly comparable schedules. According to PS2, at least, the gap between Benilde and Tonka's SOS is negligible, and BSM is 18-5 while Tonka is 17-5-1. When you add up the similar records and schedules with the head-to-head result and Benilde's more impressive computer ranking due to their more explosive offense, I'm not sure the Skippers can dislodge Benilde from the top spot.

Though really, with EP the likely 4-seed and Wayzata the likely 3-seed, it might actually be better for Tonka to be #2, considering how each of those teams are playing right now.

As for the last question, Benilde certainly did get some benefit of the doubt when they jumped back up to #2, though I think they validated that decision with the win over Shattuck this week.
I totally agree. Give BSM the #1 seed so they can have a rematch against EP in the semis- now that would be an insane match up. Minnetonka has handled Wayzata twice now without much difficulty so I think they have a better shot at winning that semifinal game.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Tonka is going to need better play in net imho to get out of sections. Not conceding anything at all, but I don't have a lot of faith in either goalie and the shutdown D we thought they'd have when the season began was severely tested against both DE and BSM.
minnscout

Post by minnscout »

Benilde will get the #1 see based on section record and head to head against Tonka.
Metrohockeyfan

Post by Metrohockeyfan »

I see the top 4 6AA seeds as 1. BSM 2. Tonka 3. Wayzata 4. EP regardless of the last two games of the season. What I am actually interested in is #5. By skill, Holy Family deserves it. However, with the HF loss to Mound, Hopkins has an arguement due to their OT game with EP and now a 2-0 (EN) loss to Edina.