Section 7AA

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

kniven

Post by kniven »

The Insider wrote:
east hockey wrote:
karl(east) wrote: Maybe, maybe not. The score from the first meeting was bad, but looking back at the gamesheet, it stayed reasonably close for a while: http://www.mnhockeyhub.com/game/game_sheet/3584148

(Also, an EN goal with over 4 minutes to go?)

FL has been playing pretty good hockey lately; CEC, on the other hand, has hit a few bumps in the road. The Jacks should be the favorites, but I think Flake has a fighting chance.
Cloquet is distracted right now and possibly ripe for a Flake upset.

Lee
Heard something about the coaching in Cloquet.. What is going on up there?
http://mobile.duluthnewstribune.com/pag ... id/258424/
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

The FL wins over Rapids and CDH, must have carried some weight.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

I never remember parents being involed w/highschool sports like this. It is like every year you hear about a couple of these deals. Would they go cry to college coach ? Boss ? Drill sargent ? These people need to take a step back and let the kids handle it themselves.
allstatebenders

Post by allstatebenders »

pipersniper12 wrote:
allstatebenders wrote:Excited to watch the STMA vs. GR game. I'm thinking GR will choke again. East vs. ER in the final!
It appears to me that you do not like GR. You might want to get your info right before you make such remarks. Think before you speak (write)!! STMA can only play GR in the finals hence, if STMA upsets GR then ER and DE will not be in the finals. GR did indeed blow it in their shorts last year in the quarter finals but they will not make that mistake twice. GR is the team to beat in this section, as this group has proved in both peewees and bantams. :idea: :roll:

CHALK IT UP!!!
I like GR a lot. But history has shown this year and the past few, that they can't get it done in big games (in indoor ice) a team that lost to STMA and has other losses against mediocre teams and has lost to the #1 seed isn't the "team to beat". Maybe GR will finally win a big game in this section playoff who knows, but they definitely aren't the "team to beat". The team to beat would have to be the team that has wins against Minnetonka (twice), Edina, and other AA powerhouses and that's DE.
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

For one, they didn't lose to St. Michael Albertiville, they lost to St. Francis (St. Francis beat STMA 6-2), and oh by the way, St. Francis beat Duluth Denfeld who beat Duluth East. So even the Hounds are capable of losing to an inferior opponent. If I were East having only beat Cloquet by one goal recently and given their semi-final history vs Cloquet, I would be very worried as an East fan staring at a 3rd game with the Jacks at Amsoil Arena Noon next Sat. Another thing is Rapids suffered from illness/injuries the first half of the season unlike anything I have ever seen before. Just when you thought a couple guys would be back and they'd be 100% then 4 more players got the flu. Since being back to 100% the only game they lost was 2-1 to East. Another thing is this group of kids for GR went to the state championship game as pee wees and as bantams. They have a Gopher and NHL draft pick at D, and a future NHL draft pick at center. Anyone who really understand HS hockey knows Rapids fans have very good reasons to be optimistic even though last year is not forgotten, but again that was LAST year. There were a couple warning signs with that Rapids team, lost their top scorer and as a result they lost at home to Hibbing in OT right before the playoffs. This year there isn't that concerning game going into the playoffs. In the end we all know upsets can happen, and my bet is the big upset in 7AA happens at the semifinals game 1.
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine
Usthockey13

Post by Usthockey13 »

That upset wont happen. With all the BS that is going on in Clouqet right now I could see them losing to Flake. And didnt Rapids have their full roster vs STF?
TheHockeyDJ wrote:For one, they didn't lose to St. Michael Albertiville, they lost to St. Francis (St. Francis beat STMA 6-2), and oh by the way, St. Francis beat Duluth Denfeld who beat Duluth East. So even the Hounds are capable of losing to an inferior opponent. If I were East having only beat Cloquet by one goal recently and given their semi-final history vs Cloquet, I would be very worried as an East fan staring at a 3rd game with the Jacks at Amsoil Arena Noon next Sat. Another thing is Rapids suffered from illness/injuries the first half of the season unlike anything I have ever seen before. Just when you thought a couple guys would be back and they'd be 100% then 4 more players got the flu. Since being back to 100% the only game they lost was 2-1 to East. Another thing is this group of kids for GR went to the state championship game as pee wees and as bantams. They have a Gopher and NHL draft pick at D, and a future NHL draft pick at center. Anyone who really understand HS hockey knows Rapids fans have very good reasons to be optimistic even though last year is not forgotten, but again that was LAST year. There were a couple warning signs with that Rapids team, lost their top scorer and as a result they lost at home to Hibbing in OT right before the playoffs. This year there isn't that concerning game going into the playoffs. In the end we all know upsets can happen, and my bet is the big upset in 7AA happens at the semifinals game 1.
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

Usthockey13 wrote:That upset wont happen. With all the BS that is going on in Clouqet right now I could see them losing to Flake. And didnt Rapids have their full roster vs STF?
TheHockeyDJ wrote:For one, they didn't lose to St. Michael Albertiville, they lost to St. Francis (St. Francis beat STMA 6-2), and oh by the way, St. Francis beat Duluth Denfeld who beat Duluth East. So even the Hounds are capable of losing to an inferior opponent. If I were East having only beat Cloquet by one goal recently and given their semi-final history vs Cloquet, I would be very worried as an East fan staring at a 3rd game with the Jacks at Amsoil Arena Noon next Sat. Another thing is Rapids suffered from illness/injuries the first half of the season unlike anything I have ever seen before. Just when you thought a couple guys would be back and they'd be 100% then 4 more players got the flu. Since being back to 100% the only game they lost was 2-1 to East. Another thing is this group of kids for GR went to the state championship game as pee wees and as bantams. They have a Gopher and NHL draft pick at D, and a future NHL draft pick at center. Anyone who really understand HS hockey knows Rapids fans have very good reasons to be optimistic even though last year is not forgotten, but again that was LAST year. There were a couple warning signs with that Rapids team, lost their top scorer and as a result they lost at home to Hibbing in OT right before the playoffs. This year there isn't that concerning game going into the playoffs. In the end we all know upsets can happen, and my bet is the big upset in 7AA happens at the semifinals game 1.
No, they did not have their full roster for St. Francis, they did have Bischoff, but if my memory serves me right they were w/o Simonson and R. Holum, maybe one other. Another thing, that St. Francis game was very similar to East/Denfeld in terms of shots on goal and controlling the game. Their goalie made 27 saves in the 3rd period alone, so it was a night a goalie stole a game, it happens.
Usthockey13

Post by Usthockey13 »

Ture. Well all teams play with injuries and sickness, East has had their fair share as well. But outside of the Denfeld game they havent lost since Breck game in Dec beating teams like Edina and Tonka twice, Blaine, Maple grove. They will be ready and I think we all want an East GR final
TheHockeyDJ wrote:
Usthockey13 wrote:That upset wont happen. With all the BS that is going on in Clouqet right now I could see them losing to Flake. And didnt Rapids have their full roster vs STF?
No, they did not have their full roster for St. Francis, they did have Bischoff, but if my memory serves me right they were w/o Simonson and R. Holum, maybe one other. Another thing, that St. Francis game was very similar to East/Denfeld in terms of shots on goal and controlling the game. Their goalie made 27 saves in the 3rd period alone, so it was a night a goalie stole a game, it happens.
TennJed

Post by TennJed »

GR may have had their full roster vs. SF. I can't remember that FAR back. Bottom line is....goalie played phenomonal. If he does again, any team could be in trouble. We can play the "who beat who" game all day. This is a different game ,on a different day, with a different GR team playing much better. I know it is not possible (or legal), but if so- I would gladly accept all wagers made on SF. The true test...."put'n my money where my mouth is".
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

I don't want to see a East-Rapids final.
Usthockey13

Post by Usthockey13 »

Guessing you wand an East/ER final?
old goalie85 wrote:I don't want to see a East-Rapids final.
GPGT

Post by GPGT »

So what are the match ups? Is it east vs stma?
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

Usthockey13 wrote:Guessing you wand an East/ER final?
I'm guessing he wants a Forest Lake/Grand Rapids final.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

:lol:
Usthockey13

Post by Usthockey13 »

HA that wont be happening..
TheHockeyDJ wrote:
Usthockey13 wrote:Guessing you wand an East/ER final?
I'm guessing he wants a Forest Lake/Grand Rapids final.
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

Curious why the seedings are done with some teams having 2 games left on their schedules? Is this because it the most convenient time to meet?
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

QRF has it
1 East
2 GR
3 ER
4 CEC Basically a tie with ER
5 FL
6 St. F
7 And
8 STMA
9 CI
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

alcloseshaver wrote:Curious why the seedings are done with some teams having 2 games left on their schedules? Is this because it the most convenient time to meet?
It probably has to do with the fact the coaches want at least 5 full days to prepare for their quarterfinal games. Some coaches think part of that preparation is playing a game or two before, others think it's better to stop the regular season before the seed meeting and keep all the focus on that first playoff game.
MNhockey29

Post by MNhockey29 »

I think the Flake/Cloquet game will be a good one. Forest Lake had played one of their worst games of the season when they played Cloquet earlier in the season so look for them to come out a stronger team in this game. Last year Rapids beat Flake 6-0 at the beginning of the season then Flake beats them in sections, could this happen again this year against Cloquet? Look out.
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

The Krach ratings are spot on with the actual. Appears they became more relevant as the season went on. Coaches must use these for guidelines.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

FL plays Eastridge tonight a win over them wouldn't have changed anything for the Rangers. I'm not so sure a loss would have either.
grandindian

Post by grandindian »

IMO there is just nothing better than a day watching two good semifinal games in Duluth in February! I love the matchups as they seem to present themselves but looking past the first game in the quarters is a HUGE mistake. Someone is gonna get burned and I am hoping Rapids learned that lesson last year and buries its chances! Throw that yoke off boys!
GPGT

Post by GPGT »

karl(east) wrote:Official:

1. Duluth East
2. Grand Rapids
3. Elk River
4. Cloquet
5. Forest Lake
6. Andover
7. St. Francis
8. STMA
9. Cambridge

If anyone has a beef here, it's Andover; apparently the coaches decided that win over Cloquet wasn't enough to overcome an otherwise mediocre season.
So do the 1/4s and brackets look like this?

East-Stma
Cloquet - Forest Lake

Rapids - St Francis
Elk River - Andover

??
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

GPGT wrote: So do the 1/4s and brackets look like this?

East-Stma
Cloquet - Forest Lake

Rapids - St Francis
Elk River - Andover

??
Yes (if STMA beats Cambridge). Bracket here: http://www.mnhockeyhub.com/bracket/show ... son=100281
alcloseshaver wrote:Curious why the seedings are done with some teams having 2 games left on their schedules? Is this because it the most convenient time to meet?
The 8 vs. 9 game is on Saturday, so it had to be done before then--and with a reasonable amount of time beforehand for the home team in that game to prep the arena, one would assume.

I doubt any of the remaining games would have changed anything anyway. The meeting has been on the Wednesday of the last week forever, so teams should know not to schedule games with possible section implications for this Thursday or Saturday.
GPGT

Post by GPGT »

Seems like East is the only one with a cake-walk 1/4 final ( no pun intended ) , and the other 3 have a chance to go either way.. Semi final saturday at Amsoil should be a good one... So the Section Final is 2 weeks from today, with State Following 3 weeks from today, correct?