Duluth Marshall (7-4) @ Hermantown (8-1-1) 1-3-13 7pm

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins?

Poll ended at Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:27 pm

Duluth Marshall
21%
Hermantown
79%

Total votes: 19

HShockeywatcher

Duluth Marshall (7-4) @ Hermantown (8-1-1) 1-3-13 7pm

Post by HShockeywatcher »

Hermantown won last year's Lake Superior Conference meeting 5-1 in Duluth and is doing similarly well this season. Two good northern teams atop their respective section meet to give us a much better idea of who the top teams in the state really are.
starmvp

Post by starmvp »

Hermantown 5-2
HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher »

Hermantown almost outshoots Marshall 2:1 and wins 4-3.
News from anyone there?
shooter803

Post by shooter803 »

Hermantown has a good group of Jr/Sr that can play with anyone but goaltending is going to be the liability. Hermantown makes a coscious effort to block anything going to net - Hermantown could have tallied 1-2 more goals but the same could be said for Marshall. Also, the 1st period goal scored 5sec into game I'm sure Murry wants back.
Hockey North

Post by Hockey North »

HShockeywatcher wrote:Hermantown almost outshoots Marshall 2:1 and wins 4-3.
News from anyone there?
The person keeping track of shots on the scoreboard was having issues.
Because I noticed the shots for Marshall were stuck at 5 (when I counted at least 4 additional shots during this period) until they scored the first goal. The announcer said after the 2nd period, shots were 31-21 in favor of HT and the scoreboard said 12. Hermantown D did a great job of keep Marshall to the outside. Their first line was good. Marshalls young D had their hands full from the start. The Hawks came out flying and were very determined. The goal 10 seconds into the game kind of shocked them and then the Hawks score another 7 seconds into the 3rd period to break the tie. Hawks deserved the W. They came to play and Marshall didnt. Marshall had 2 JR, 3 SOPH and a Freshman on D, they are a young group that will get better as the season goes on..
Last edited by Hockey North on Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cooperalls4ever

Post by cooperalls4ever »

shooter803 wrote:Hermantown has a good group of Jr/Sr that can play with anyone but goaltending is going to be the liability. Hermantown makes a coscious effort to block anything going to net - Hermantown could have tallied 1-2 more goals but the same could be said for Marshall. Also, the 1st period goal scored 5sec into game I'm sure Murry wants back.
Note: woulda...coulda...shoulda

very early in the game with score 1-0, Hermantown fired a shot on net, the rebound bounced a foot in front of him and was slapped in...ref was standing behind goalie in the corner (had absolutely no view of the puck from his vantage) and had blown it down at the point the puck hit the pads of the goalie. Later in the 3rd, same ref in a much better position let the puck lie 2" from the line when neither goalie or players for either team realized it was there... seemed like 5 seconds.

Not whining, taking sides or anything...just wanted to contribute it as a sidenote... it's a game of bounces.

For those at the game... was it just me or was the ref making the blueline calls extremely quick on the whistle? To me he was dictating the pace of the game, no touch-ups on offsides, no transition game because of some of these quick calls he hurt the team on defense who had possession of the puck and ready to head the other direction. He wasn't the one who was quick on the whistle noted above.
joris016

Post by joris016 »

@cooperalls4ever

totally agree with you about the ref. There were many offside calls that didn't appear to be offside. I also thought that Murray (Marshall goalie) was freezing the puck way too much. I think the first goal rattled him a little bit. He also made some spectacular saves but he will want that 1st goal, as well as the one in the 3rd (7 seconds in) back. Marshall had several key players injured that would have helped them. But, the pucks bounced Hermantown's way. Hermantown was just bigger and faster than the Toppers. Good game though, fun to be at.
nota612er

Post by nota612er »

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/event/ ... up/Sports/
Link to the DNT story on the game. Some nice comments on the Koepke line...great kids, students and hockey players.

After one of the odd offside calls, I actually heard the linesman say "I hate this new system". Not sure what they were modifying but it did lead to an odd flow from a group of officials who tend to call a pretty good game.

Having seen both of these teams play several times this year, they both looked a little "flat" last night...odd for a good rivalry game. HTown started the game with great intensity/physical play, then seemed to take their foot off the gas. Marshall D-men worked very hard and for the most part limited the really good scoring chances.

I've seen all of HSHW current top 9 teams play this year with the exception of EGF. No science, but IMO; STA clear #1, Breck a close #2, then the rest are somewhat interchangeable.
HawkeyPower

Post by HawkeyPower »

joris016 wrote:@cooperalls4ever

totally agree with you about the ref. There were many offside calls that didn't appear to be offside. I also thought that Murray (Marshall goalie) was freezing the puck way too much. I think the first goal rattled him a little bit. He also made some spectacular saves but he will want that 1st goal, as well as the one in the 3rd (7 seconds in) back. Marshall had several key players injured that would have helped them. But, the pucks bounced Hermantown's way. Hermantown was just bigger and faster than the Toppers. Good game though, fun to be at.
Besides Klassen who are the several players missing? The younger McKenzie would not ha ve made a bit of difference in the game. Was there anyone else?
joris016

Post by joris016 »

McKenzie wouldn't have made a difference? Right. Klassen in that game would probably have made a huge difference. McKenzie has more experience back on D than the others that have been playing in his replacement. Other than those two, no I don't think there are any other injuries.
HawkeyPower

Post by HawkeyPower »

joris016 wrote:McKenzie wouldn't have made a difference? Right. Klassen in that game would probably have made a huge difference. McKenzie has more experience back on D than the others that have been playing in his replacement. Other than those two, no I don't think there are any other injuries.
Totally agree with Klassen. I will have to disagree on McKinzie.