St. Francis 3, Grand Rapids 2

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

TheHockeyDJ

St. Francis 3, Grand Rapids 2

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

:oops:

Shots 53-27 in favor of Rapids. A. Peterson got denied on a penalty shot with under a minute left.
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine
CB00

Post by CB00 »

I don't think shots matter. Isn't winning or losing a hockey game determined by goals?
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

Big 7AA win for SF !!!!! Wow, 7AA is a mess. :? :?
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

CB00 wrote:I don't think shots matter. Isn't winning or losing a hockey game determined by goals?
Are you serious? You think I posted shots because I think Rapids deserved to win on shots on goal? Shots simply tell part of the story. Good grief!
CB00

Post by CB00 »

TheHockeyDJ wrote:
CB00 wrote:I don't think shots matter. Isn't winning or losing a hockey game determined by goals?
Are you serious? You think I posted shots because I think Rapids deserved to win on shots on goal? Shots simply tell part of the story. Good grief!
Be Paul Harvey and tell us all "the rest of the story,"
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

old goalie85 wrote:Big 7AA win for SF !!!!! Wow, 7AA is a mess. :? :?
I know, how do you seed a team that has beat Elk River, yet lost to Forest Lake and St. Francis and been otherwise solid. Forest Lake made me think they'd be a top 4 team after they beat Rapids, I don't know what happened to them after that game. I did see St. Francis has defeated Denfeld earlier in the year and Denfeld beat Hermantown. This is just the biggest mess I've seen in 7AA in many years.
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

CB00 wrote:
TheHockeyDJ wrote:
Be Paul Harvey and tell us all "the rest of the story,"
Kinda hard to do that since I simply followed minimal updates on twitter
eviemags

Post by eviemags »

A VERY slow start for Grand Rapids, which seems to be a theme as of late. It seems they were over-confident going into the game, as they started their third line. GR took some bad penalties in the second, which caused St. Francis to score its goals and get the momentum going. Third was all Rapids; St. Francs only got 5 or 6 shots all period while GR had at least 25. Got to give the SF goalie a lot of credit, made so wicked saves and kept GR pretty frustrated. Something needs to be done to motivate this squad; they have the talent but shouldn't be underestimating their opponents.
Mr Hockey

Way to go Saints!!!

Post by Mr Hockey »

The second biggest win in school history!!! The first was when Benik scored an OT goal against Totino Grace at Parade Ice Gardens to give the Saints their first ever win against the Eagles. (They also tied that year) Overall they are like 1-34-1 against Totino.

Many of the players on the Saints played for the Minnesota Owls Jr Team before the High School season began and were key members of the team. I wish the Saints well in hopefully a rematch against the Grand Rapids Indians (always) in the sections!!!!
Bigcat99

Post by Bigcat99 »

eviemags wrote:A VERY slow start for Grand Rapids, which seems to be a theme as of late. It seems they were over-confident going into the game, as they started their third line. GR took some bad penalties in the second, which caused St. Francis to score its goals and get the momentum going. Third was all Rapids; St. Francs only got 5 or 6 shots all period while GR had at least 25. Got to give the SF goalie a lot of credit, made so wicked saves and kept GR pretty frustrated. Something needs to be done to motivate this squad; they have the talent but shouldn't be underestimating their opponents.
Pretty much spot on, although letting the third line skate the first shift for one night isn't the biggest deal. Maybe that meant to be a motivator for the team?

Oh well, at least my fantasy b-ball team cleaned house again last night!
It is what it is!
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

DJ, They'll be able to beat St. Francis when they get their big gun back.

:wink:
MNhockey29

Post by MNhockey29 »

I believe their big gun was back
PASTRAPIDSFAN

Post by PASTRAPIDSFAN »

Yes bischoff was playing
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

We kept hearing about the up-coming return from DJ. I was just bursting his bubble. :D
slyer

Post by slyer »

wow, can't use that excuse anymore
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

Looks like the Elks are #1 to start Jan. Should be a great two and a 1/2 mnths. One thing I think we can all agree on is Highschool hockey is the best.
Usthockey13

Post by Usthockey13 »

How are the elks #1?
old goalie85 wrote:Looks like the Elks are #1 to start Jan. Should be a great two and a 1/2 mnths. One thing I think we can all agree on is Highschool hockey is the best.
HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher »

Usthockey13 wrote:How are the elks #1?
old goalie85 wrote:Looks like the Elks are #1 to start Jan. Should be a great two and a 1/2 mnths. One thing I think we can all agree on is Highschool hockey is the best.
It'll be very tough for them to be #1 going into sections in my opinion, even if they won out.

They beat Andover 4-1, lost to Rapids 2-3 in OT, and play Andover again. They play Blaine twice and Benilde, but no other big games and no other 7AA opponents. No Cloquet or East even on their schedule.
Top 3, maybe even 2, but I don't see them being the top seed.
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

No way Elk River is #1 right now. Duluth East has a firm hold on the top seed and that cannot be argued in any way. Elk River? I get that GR has two ugly losses in 7AA. Yet the argument could be Elk River lost to a team that lost to St. Francis. :shock: If Elk River gets seeded higher than GR at this point, I can't be too angry with that. Realistically all that looks clear is East is 1 for now, Forest Lake is 6, and probably Andover at 5. Seedings aside, results to this point aside, give me Jake Bischoff, Avery Peterson, and Hunter Shepard in the play-offs and lets play!
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

Elk River and Rapids look to very evenly matched with any game going either way. East is the favorite even if not seeded #1. Can someone explain again why East and ER don't play a regular season game. I recall them playing for most of the Sars era?
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

alcloseshaver wrote:Elk River and Rapids look to very evenly matched with any game going either way. East is the favorite even if not seeded #1. Can someone explain again why East and ER don't play a regular season game. I recall them playing for most of the Sars era?
Irregardless of how the seedings go, what I desire for the semifinals is Duluth East vs. Cloquet and Grand Rapids vs. Elk River. Those are the match ups I want every season. Those are the 4 best fan bases in the section and being able to watch a great rivalry game like East/CEC as the appetizer for the GR/ER game is a perfect semi-final Saturday for me.
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

It does sure look like a GR/ER semi is the most likely. There is hope for everyone with East looking like they have come back to the pack this year.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

alcloseshaver wrote:Elk River and Rapids look to very evenly matched with any game going either way. East is the favorite even if not seeded #1. Can someone explain again why East and ER don't play a regular season game. I recall them playing for most of the Sars era?
I think the story goes like this: East and Elk River had played regularly for years, and were planning to play again last season, but several of the Lake Conference teams were having trouble filling out their schedules last season. Because of that, the MSHSL forced Elk River into a meeting with Eden Prairie, and they had to drop East. Apparently they weren't able to get together and work out a meeting this year, either.

It's very unfortunate, since that is such an important section game, year in and year out.
old goalie85

Post by old goalie85 »

Forest Lake ana Andover can be switched as well. Like I said The One thing we can all agree on is this is the best 2.5 mnths of the year !!!! Go Rangers !!!!
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

old goalie85 wrote:Forest Lake ana Andover can be switched as well. Like I said The One thing we can all agree on is this is the best 2.5 mnths of the year !!!! Go Rangers !!!!
I'm not sure how Andover and Forest Lake can be switched. Forest Lake has had one bad loss after another with no rebound game. Andover has been inconsistent, but they did beat Eden Prairie. I wouldn't call Forest Lake inconsistent, they've been consistently bad since the game vs. Rapids. What is your line of reasoning for Forest Lake even having a shot to be higher that Andover, I'm curious as to your explanation.