Section 3A (2012-13 Season)

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins Section 3A this year (2012-13)?

Hutch
18
27%
Marshall
10
15%
New Ulm Area
14
21%
Windom
1
2%
LDC
2
3%
Luverne
21
32%
 
Total votes: 66

Bettman's Bender
Posts: 165
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:18 am

Post by Bettman's Bender » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:37 pm

This is probably the ugliest season for section 3A hockey in quite a long time.

Marshall- falling apart at the seems. Lost Pearson, hired a babysitter. Talent has dropped considerably.

Luverne, good talent relative to.. SW conference but, dont know how to put it together and play hockey. lost to Marshall.

NU- Up and down. Lose to Dodge County?.... oh boy.

Hutch 2-10 is bad. Even though they play far better teams, still lost to Marshall and Litch.

Litch- Counted them out early, maybe they can make a run. Still not what they used to be.

Worthington held Marshall to 3 goals! MIGHT AS WELL PUT THEM IN THE RACE. Crapshoot.

Windom- Ammerman is a good coach, but I just don't think they have what it takes.

In these dog days of 3A maybe a SW conference team will make it to the tourney.... Not pretty.
Last edited by Bettman's Bender on Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

notTONIGHT
Posts: 1027
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:05 pm

Post by notTONIGHT » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:19 am

Bettman's Bender wrote:This is probably the ugliest season for section 3A hockey in quite a long time.

Marshall- falling apart at the seems. Lost Pearson, hired a babysitter (and a poor one even at that).

Luverne, good talent relative to.. SW conference but, dont know how to put it together and play hockey. lost to Marshall.

NU- Up and down. Lose to Dodge County?.... oh boy.

Hutch 2-10 is bad. Even though they play far better teams, still lost to Marshall and Litch.

Litch- Counted them out early, maybe they can make a run. Still not what they used to be.

Worthington held Marshall to 3 goals! MIGHT AS WELL PUT THEM IN THE RACE. Crapshoot.

Windom- Ammerman is a good coach, but I just don't think they have what it takes.

In these dog days of 3A maybe a SW conference team will make it to the tourney.... Not pretty.
Bettman!!! what up??
Luverne lost to Marshall early in the year withouth three of their top 9 forwards. , still a loss to garbage marshall! However, gut any team of three good players and its a tough task. Putting worthington in the race is hilarious. Curious for you to elaborate on how you would do things differently with the talent luverne has. ALSO what makes you think litch can make a run?

woodpencil
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:18 am

Post by woodpencil » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:43 am

kittykatattack wrote:Dave coudert=Busch league
thought he was the bantam coach and would make a smooth transition as the kids have already played for him??

Bettman's Bender
Posts: 165
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:18 am

Post by Bettman's Bender » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:48 am

woodpencil wrote:
kittykatattack wrote:Dave coudert=Busch league
thought he was the bantam coach and would make a smooth transition as the kids have already played for him??
From being around players it seems like the guy was never well liked or respected as a coach. A lack of applicants and smooth talk landed him the job even though his resume is questionable and he can hardly stand up on his skates.

They did hire a new Assistant who played college hockey, and he is likely the brains of the operation. IMO the job should have been Mellenthin's or this new assistant, but I'm not calling the shots.

Hard to blame it all on coaching, the kids still have to play regardless.

.............

Litch has a fighting chance due to goaltending. The kid has seen 45 shots or more 5 times already this season playing in the Wright County Conf. against much better competition. His save percentage is really good considering his work load. .908. He'll give them a chance to win every night. I wonder when it was the last time this section saw goaltending like that........
:lol:

CherryPicker99
Posts: 188
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:21 am

Post by CherryPicker99 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:52 pm

Bettman this forum just got 100% more entertaining to read now that your back. Thank you for making my work days better.

The Litch goalie has been playing good but if they continue to give up 40 plus shots a game it will be tough for them to win. New Ulm, Hutch and Luverne shouldn't have a problem with them come section time.

I'm still having a hard time wrapping my head around New Ulm's loss to Dodge County.

Lastly, I'm curious how the Princeton vs Luverne match up will go today. We need some 3A teams to be competitive against teams like this.

rollCARDSroll
Posts: 64
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:54 pm

Post by rollCARDSroll » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:58 pm

CherryPicker99 wrote:Bettman this forum just got 100% more entertaining to read now that your back. Thank you for making my work days better.

The Litch goalie has been playing good but if they continue to give up 40 plus shots a game it will be tough for them to win. New Ulm, Hutch and Luverne shouldn't have a problem with them come section time.

I'm still having a hard time wrapping my head around New Ulm's loss to Dodge County.

Lastly, I'm curious how the Princeton vs Luverne match up will go today. We need some 3A teams to be competitive against teams like this.
The cards showed up today! Princeton tigers.....CAGED! Big win for Luverne and Section 3A.

ROLL CARDS ROLL!

notTONIGHT
Posts: 1027
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:05 pm

Post by notTONIGHT » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:20 pm

Im glad i was wrong about Blake beating New Ulm. Good day for 3A. Surprised to see a 3A team cannot only compete with a team ranked 10 in state, but beat them. Good job cardinals and eagles.

CherryPicker99
Posts: 188
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:21 am

Post by CherryPicker99 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:11 am

Both New Ulm and Luverne get good quality wins this weekend. I have a feeling these two will be the top two seeded teams in the section. The question is which team gets number 1? Doesn't really matter but just want to hear people's thoughts.

notTONIGHT
Posts: 1027
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:05 pm

Post by notTONIGHT » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:57 am

CherryPicker99 wrote:Both New Ulm and Luverne get good quality wins this weekend. I have a feeling these two will be the top two seeded teams in the section. The question is which team gets number 1? Doesn't really matter but just want to hear people's thoughts.
I think we all know how this will end up. The Belichick (so he thinks) of section 3A will claim Luverne has no wins and doesnt deserve it. No one but his eagles deserve the claim to #1, and he will probably get it.
How it should go? If luverne beats hutch and dodge county in early february, How do they not get the #1 seed?
I think it matters more this year than usual. Usually top 4 teams are capable of winning it, this year, only 3 really can make a run I think. Unless Litch can put something together.
Also, I'm interested to see what Hutch does with Blake tomorrow, after seeing NU take them down by 3.

Goonbro33
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:40 pm

Post by Goonbro33 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:02 pm

Luverne is the best team in section. They have the best players in the state. Come on Skyler Wenninger is like god. Kendall Meyer he is basically going to the NHL after next year. That Toby kid will go to the NHL just cause of his flow. GO LUVERNE!!!

computerguy
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:24 pm

3a

Post by computerguy » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:37 pm

I think if NU wins out its section games they get the #1 seed. That would leave them undefeated in section play and no other team is undefeated. Dodge county shoudnt have anything to do with it since they actually split with them. If NU cant win out the #1 go's to Luverne or Marshall. IF NU wins out, Belichick would be right in this case because Luverne lost to Marshall. I also think there are 4 teams that could win the section this year. Dont count Hutch out. Biggest sleeper at 2-10.

CornontheCobb
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:29 am

Re: 3a

Post by CornontheCobb » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:52 pm

computerguy wrote:I think if NU wins out its section games they get the #1 seed. That would leave them undefeated in section play and no other team is undefeated. Dodge county shoudnt have anything to do with it since they actually split with them. If NU cant win out the #1 go's to Luverne or Marshall. IF NU wins out, Belichick would be right in this case because Luverne lost to Marshall. I also think there are 4 teams that could win the section this year. Dont count Hutch out. Biggest sleeper at 2-10.
well i don't think there is any way that marshall should be the number 1 seed. they lost to litch on saturday 2-0. so pretty much it is a complete toss up for who is the first seed depending on what new ulm does. if new ulm wins out they get it, if not then well the coaches will have fun picking the number 1. i don't think there is a true number 1 this year.

PuckU126
Posts: 3769
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:52 pm
Location: Minnesota
Contact:

Post by PuckU126 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:11 pm

Goonbro33 wrote:Luverne is the best team in section. They have the best players in the state. Come on Skyler Wenninger is like god. Kendall Meyer he is basically going to the NHL after next year. That Toby kid will go to the NHL just cause of his flow. GO LUVERNE!!!
](*,)

Let's put them up against STA at the X.

Lemming.

8)
The Puck
LGW

no5hole
Posts: 57
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:48 pm

Post by no5hole » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:15 am

Most teams have 8-12 games left, so there is still a lot of time for things to happen, but here is how I see it as of right now. #1 and 2 are pretty locked. #3 - 6 are toss ups still. and #7 -9 no one really cares too much about. Some adapted floor hockey teams would have a chance against them.
#1 - New Ulm: still has to beat st.peter to win their conference which would be extremely crazy if they don't win it. I don't think they have had a conference lost in forever. Also games against Marshall and Litch, but should remain on top..... unfortunately.
#2 - Luverne: Just smoked Marshall and a good win against Princeton. sitting at 11-2-1 is good also being as every other team is hovering around .500 They still have a big game against Hutch, but I have said from the beginning this could be there year... Hopefully (anyone over NU is good with me)
#3 - Litch: Sitting at 7-6 with 12 games still, they have to most potential to move down. Good wins against Marshall (struggling) and Hutch, but still have to face NU and Hutch again.
#4 - Marshall - Has beat Hutch and Luverne, but has also lost to Luverne, Litch and NU. Big games against Windom who they lost to earlier in the season and NU. If they lose those two, I would slide them down to 6. If they split, put them at 5. If they win both, put them at 4.
#5 - Hutch - This team is sitting at 2-10. What other team would be possible 4/5/6 at 2-10. Lost to Litch and NU by a goal. The strength of their schedule is the only reason I don't put them at 6 immediately. Still have to play Litch and Luverne. If they don't win both, put them at 6. Split, put them at 5. And only at 4 if they win both and Marshall keeps imploding.
#6 - Windom - Good way to start the season with win over Marshall, but that was at home and almost 2 months ago. Big game against them again, lets see what happens. Sitting at 8-5, with games against Marshall and Luverne still, not much going on with them. Week schedule really hurts this team. This team could really only move up though with a win against Marshall and a strong showing against Luverne.
#7 - 9 Redwood, Worthingtong, Fairmont - in that order - like I said doesn't really matter. Only wins for most of these programs are against each other. There have been miracles on ice, just don't see it here (prove me wrong)

Goonbro33
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:40 pm

Post by Goonbro33 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:15 am

Luverne has a chance at winning it all this year! STATE CHAMPS

CherryPicker99
Posts: 188
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:21 am

Post by CherryPicker99 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:05 am

Goonbro33 wrote:Luverne has a chance at winning it all this year! STATE CHAMPS
Thanks for your great insight. I thought Redwood was going to win this section. Isn't that what you said in your own thread on Section 3A?

notTONIGHT
Posts: 1027
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:05 pm

Post by notTONIGHT » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:05 am

PuckU126 wrote:
Goonbro33 wrote:Luverne is the best team in section. They have the best players in the state. Come on Skyler Wenninger is like god. Kendall Meyer he is basically going to the NHL after next year. That Toby kid will go to the NHL just cause of his flow. GO LUVERNE!!!
](*,)

Let's put them up against STA at the X.

Lemming.

8)
Both of these statements are absurd.
Put any Class A team up against STA and you will be banging your head off the wall. STA is a joke in Class A, but thats for another thread.

Teak
Posts: 1859
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:27 am

Post by Teak » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:06 pm

I'm going to the Marshall - Windom game tonight. Going to see how Windom's frosh scoring phenom does against Marshall's defense. Maybe he'll get a hat-trick like the Smedsrud kid did for Luverne.

:?

notTONIGHT
Posts: 1027
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:05 pm

Post by notTONIGHT » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:01 pm

Teak wrote:I'm going to the Marshall - Windom game tonight. Going to see how Windom's frosh scoring phenom does against Marshall's defense. Maybe he'll get a hat-trick like the Smedsrud kid did for Luverne.

:?
Let us know how it turns out, not only the frosh comparison, but the game too. I think it will be close.

CherryPicker99
Posts: 188
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:21 am

Post by CherryPicker99 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:34 pm

I just read on twitter that the glass broke during the Windom vs Marshall game and a kid had glass in his neck. Is this a true story? If so, is the kid ok? Hope nothing to bad occurred.

woodpencil
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:18 am

Post by woodpencil » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:49 pm

puttin it out there; i may be wrong, but here goes.
1 New Ulm - easily beatable. worst they have been in years. good first line, and drops off from there but because the section is weak, I give them the number 1
2 Luverne good athletes but not good coaching. many kids playing summer hockey with quality coaching has helped this program. they rely on their athletes but not hockey knowledge
3 Hutch - even though they won't get this seed, I think this is where they actually belong. Lacking solid goaltending, but better quality players than other teams below them
4 LDC - good goalie, good first line- they need better system play but program has good numbers and they should get better. i question why they can't put it together a little better with the number of kids and the quality of some of their skaters. Anyone from LDC out there?

drop off from here
5 Marshall - barely beats Windom. Not sure how this program has fallen apart so fast. they have some talent, but most obviously are lacking any sense of coaching. Coach M must be going crazy down in Marshall. this is a pathetic drop from last year
6 Windom - now here is the quality coaching with a program that lacks numbers. some really good players but just not enough depth. He should be coaching Luverne - then they would have something to brag about.
7 Redwood. kids try hard hopefully they are having fun
8. Worthington give them an A for effort
9. Fairmont hope they enjoyed their season. hard to play with limited numbers

Bettman's Bender
Posts: 165
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:18 am

Post by Bettman's Bender » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:09 am

Blake Beat Hutch tonight 4-3.
Good win for Marshall squeaking out Windom 2-1.

Note. The Blake New Ulm game. New Ulm was outshot 59-26 and won 7-4. Not exactly what I would consider deserving to win, but, they got the W. Props for good goaltending.

CherryPicker99
Posts: 188
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:21 am

Post by CherryPicker99 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:37 am

woodpencil wrote:puttin it out there; i may be wrong, but here goes.
1 New Ulm - easily beatable. worst they have been in years. good first line, and drops off from there but because the section is weak, I give them the number 1
2 Luverne good athletes but not good coaching. many kids playing summer hockey with quality coaching has helped this program. they rely on their athletes but not hockey knowledge
3 Hutch - even though they won't get this seed, I think this is where they actually belong. Lacking solid goaltending, but better quality players than other teams below them
4 LDC - good goalie, good first line- they need better system play but program has good numbers and they should get better. i question why they can't put it together a little better with the number of kids and the quality of some of their skaters. Anyone from LDC out there?

drop off from here
5 Marshall - barely beats Windom. Not sure how this program has fallen apart so fast. they have some talent, but most obviously are lacking any sense of coaching. Coach M must be going crazy down in Marshall. this is a pathetic drop from last year
6 Windom - now here is the quality coaching with a program that lacks numbers. some really good players but just not enough depth. He should be coaching Luverne - then they would have something to brag about.
7 Redwood. kids try hard hopefully they are having fun
8. Worthington give them an A for effort
9. Fairmont hope they enjoyed their season. hard to play with limited numbers[/quot

Thanks for your predictions. However, I do have a question. Why do people knock the coaching in Luverne? I have seen that comment several times. Their record has continually gotten better in the last five years. Just curious.

Bettman, how do you consider a win against Windom "good." Were you at the game? If so, fill us in on the glass incident please.

Hockeyislife09
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:10 pm

Post by Hockeyislife09 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:34 am

Bettman's Bender wrote:Blake Beat Hutch tonight 4-3.
Good win for Marshall squeaking out Windom 2-1.

Note. The Blake New Ulm game. New Ulm was outshot 59-26 and won 7-4. Not exactly what I would consider deserving to win, but, they got the W. Props for good goaltending.
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't new Ulm have 10 penalties? That Would be my guess why the shot differential was a wide margin..

notTONIGHT
Posts: 1027
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:05 pm

Post by notTONIGHT » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:13 pm

Is there no one who can tell us about the glass incident in Marshall last night? Was someone sliced in the neck? How did this happen?

Locked