MN Lakers 14U to Nationals

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

The51

Re: MN Lakers 14U to Nationals

Post by The51 »

The D6 all-stars keep their dreams alive with a 1-0 win over ValleyForge

Pittsburgh Pens Elite up tomorrow who defeated the Boston Jr. Eagles 5-0. Seems like the minny boys have their work cut out for them tomorrow but we'll see what they can do
The51

Post by The51 »

Final game of pool play the Lakers suffered a 5-3 loss the Pittsburgh Penguins Elite

that combined with Boston's 3-0 win over Valley Forge eliminates the D6 all-stars from championship contention.

As far as my research can tell, no Minnesota team has made it out of pool play since Tier 1 began here.
westsidescout

Post by westsidescout »

The51 wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 1:13 pm Final game of pool play the Lakers suffered a 5-3 loss the Pittsburgh Penguins Elite

that combined with Boston's 3-0 win over Valley Forge eliminates the D6 all-stars from championship contention.

As far as my research can tell, no Minnesota team has made it out of pool play since Tier 1 began here.
What a shame, Lakers outplayed the Pens but ultimately too many penalties did them in. I felt the officiating was a little whistle-happy...looked like they were reffing a pee wee game.

Shattuck takes down Dallas yesterday and Little Caeser's today to secure spot in playoff round. They will face off with Bishop Kearney who they swept earlier this season.
The51

Post by The51 »

westsidescout wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:02 am
The51 wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 1:13 pm Final game of pool play the Lakers suffered a 5-3 loss the Pittsburgh Penguins Elite

What a shame, Lakers outplayed the Pens but ultimately too many penalties did them in. I felt the officiating was a little whistle-happy...looked like they were reffing a pee wee game.

Shattuck takes down Dallas yesterday and Little Caeser's today to secure spot in playoff round. They will face off with Bishop Kearney who they swept earlier this season.
Their bed was made with the slow start and eventual loss to Boston on day 1. Seems as if they underestimated them and couldn't come back from the 3-0 deficit. Once that game was lost, they were going to need some help to make it to the bracket round
The51

Post by The51 »

I know I'm starting to sound a little bit like a broken record... but after watching the 15O championship game between the LA Jr. Kings and Shattuck, I can't help but think what a disappointment and disservice to the kids it is that the Blades 15's this year weren't eligible to be competing with these teams.

Here is how they did against teams that made it to the bracket part of Nationals:

Little Caesars (1 seed): DNP
Chicago Mission (2): 7-4 win, 8-1 loss, 6-5 win
Shattuck, runner up (3): 3-3 tie, 2-0 loss
Bishop Kearney (4): 6-1 win, 4-4 tie
LA Jr. Kings, natl champions (5): 3-2 win
Mount St. Charles (6): DNP
Long Island Gulls (7): DNP
Pittsburgh Penguins Elite (9): 3-2 loss

That's a record of 4-3-2 against teams that made it out of pool play

They also played 3 teams that made it to nationals but didn't make it out of pool play

Mid-Fairfield Jr. Rangers (8): 3-2 loss
Team Wisconsin (11): 8-4 win
Dallas Stars Elite (14): 2-0 win

For a total record of 6-4-2 against teams in the 15O national tournament

Those kids had a right to be participating this past week/weekend and would have been right in the mix of bringing a title back to MN
OldManRiver

Post by OldManRiver »

The51 wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:45 am
Those kids had a right to be participating this past week/weekend and would have been right in the mix of bringing a title back to MN
I guess after reading this thread, I don't know who is keeping them from participating? It sounds like making a request and following whatever rules are in place would allow this to happen (or at least be considered)?
The51

Post by The51 »

OldManRiver wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:06 pm
I guess after reading this thread, I don't know who is keeping them from participating? It sounds like making a request and following whatever rules are in place would allow this to happen (or at least be considered)?
That has been stated and could be true, I am skeptical.

Would be very happy to be wrong however.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

The51 wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:11 pm

Just curious, why so much interest in the Blades?
The51

Post by The51 »

elliott70 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:30 am

They're the only ones I know of that were around when I was playing (graduated '09) that are still around today.

I had looked at their roster/results for the 15's and then when I learned about MN adopting Tier 1 while I was out of state (with the Lakers at-large nationals bid), my mind went back to them. So basically, they were the starting point for this entire learning process & discussion time I've spent on this thread the past month.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

The51 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 12:21 pm
elliott70 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:30 am

They're the only ones I know of that were around when I was playing (graduated '09) that are still around today.

I had looked at their roster/results for the 15's and then when I learned about MN adopting Tier 1 while I was out of state (with the Lakers at-large nationals bid), my mind went back to them. So basically, they were the starting point for this entire learning process & discussion time I've spent on this thread the past month.
Thanks
InThePipes

Post by InThePipes »

Obviously a little different, but the girls seem to have little difficulty with the model, MN Hockey teams have won Tier 1 National Championship 3 of the last 6 years and the past 2 back to back (D10 last year followed by D3 this year) and the the D6 Tier II team also won that National Championship this year.
The51

Post by The51 »

InThePipes wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 7:08 pm Obviously a little different, but the girls seem to have little difficulty with the model, MN Hockey teams have won Tier 1 National Championship 3 of the last 6 years and the past 2 back to back (D10 last year followed by D3 this year) and the the D6 Tier II team also won that National Championship this year.
They send their elite league teams which is a huge help. The boys don't make their elite league teams eligible for the tournament (per Elliott)

I wonder if that is because they have some kids play that are age level 16's and a few 15's? I know a handful of years back USA hockey started emphasizing more to not have kids play up but instead stick with their age group, so they may not like the idea of 15's and 16's going to the 18 nationals.

What is probably a bigger reason though is that for it to make sense they would have to start playing other teams from outside their league to get enough other games for at-large purposes. Which from a cost perspective isn't really necessary. Sure the experience may get a little better but the cost would go way up comparatively.
InThePipes

Post by InThePipes »

The51 wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:43 am
InThePipes wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 7:08 pm Obviously a little different, but the girls seem to have little difficulty with the model, MN Hockey teams have won Tier 1 National Championship 3 of the last 6 years and the past 2 back to back (D10 last year followed by D3 this year) and the the D6 Tier II team also won that National Championship this year.
They send their elite league teams which is a huge help. The boys don't make their elite league teams eligible for the tournament (per Elliott)

I wonder if that is because they have some kids play that are age level 16's and a few 15's? I know a handful of years back USA hockey started emphasizing more to not have kids play up but instead stick with their age group, so they may not like the idea of 15's and 16's going to the 18 nationals.

What is probably a bigger reason though is that for it to make sense they would have to start playing other teams from outside their league to get enough other games for at-large purposes. Which from a cost perspective isn't really necessary. Sure the experience may get a little better but the cost would go way up comparatively.

No, they send MN Hockey District teams at U14's, Elite League teams doesn't start until U16 and U19.
The51

Post by The51 »

InThePipes wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:21 pm
The51 wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:43 am

No, they send MN Hockey District teams at U14's, Elite League teams doesn't start until U16 and U19.
Sorry I was talking about the boys and why they don’t send the elite league teams to the U18 nationals
The51

Post by The51 »

This comment on the Tier 1 FAQ page from MN Hockey's website does not make it seem like they have any interest in registering other Tier 1 teams. It doesn't even look like there is a spot on the website to apply
Attachments
FAQ.PNG
FAQ.PNG (15.14 KiB) Viewed 15504 times
InThePipes

Post by InThePipes »

The51 wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:16 am This comment on the Tier 1 FAQ page from MN Hockey's website does not make it seem like they have any interest in registering other Tier 1 teams. It doesn't even look like there is a spot on the website to apply
It's seems that way because they indeed have no interest in that.
The51

Post by The51 »

InThePipes wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:04 pm
The51 wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:16 am This comment on the Tier 1 FAQ page from MN Hockey's website does not make it seem like they have any interest in registering other Tier 1 teams. It doesn't even look like there is a spot on the website to apply
It's seems that way because they indeed have no interest in that.
Which has been my suspicion pretty much the whole time
HockeyTalk2020

Post by HockeyTalk2020 »

elliott70 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:58 pm I have requested the financial records regarding tier 1 and plan on reviewing it to determine if it is a money grab.
Elliott-

Is it true that MN Hockey is shutting down all Tier 1 hockey, including U16 even if kids don't have bantam eligibility, starting in 2024 (not this upcoming year)?

Heard (not validated) MN Hockey will not be signing off on the necessary paperwork to allow programs like Blades, BA, Lakers (NW area), etc...ability to field U16 teams in 2024. So any player 16U or below Must play MN Hockey Tier 1 teams if they want to play other programs like SSM, Caesars, Gulls, etc...

If so, did MN Hockey send out a notice of the upcoming change and how it was decided and reasons behind the decision? If true of course, as I haven't seen/heard of anything official.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

HockeyTalk2020 wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:59 am
elliott70 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:58 pm I have requested the financial records regarding tier 1 and plan on reviewing it to determine if it is a money grab.
Elliott-

Is it true that MN Hockey is shutting down all Tier 1 hockey, including U16 even if kids don't have bantam eligibility, starting in 2024 (not this upcoming year)?

Heard (not validated) MN Hockey will not be signing off on the necessary paperwork to allow programs like Blades, BA, Lakers (NW area), etc...ability to field U16 teams in 2024. So any player 16U or below Must play MN Hockey Tier 1 teams if they want to play other programs like SSM, Caesars, Gulls, etc...

If so, did MN Hockey send out a notice of the upcoming change and how it was decided and reasons behind the decision? If true of course, as I haven't seen/heard of anything official.
I am out of the country and not at the the meeting going on right now.
I did not see any such vote on the agenda and d16 rep has not brought it to my attention as he has with other issues.
I remember reports earlier, contrary to this thread.

When back I will find out and update.