2023-2024 New Section Alignment?

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

goldy313

Re: 2023-2024 New Section Alignment?

Post by goldy313 »

Obviously, this won’t affect the new alignment coming out in April but what happens in two years when there are no Free/Reduced lunch students?

You have to apply for the F/R lunch rate and that is how the state counts the F/R students but without a benefit to actually apply for it I can’t imagine the numbers will be accurate.
SpreadOut!

Post by SpreadOut! »

goldy313 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:01 pm Obviously, this won’t affect the new alignment coming out in April but what happens in two years when there are no Free/Reduced lunch students?

You have to apply for the F/R lunch rate and that is how the state counts the F/R students but without a benefit to actually apply for it I can’t imagine the numbers will be accurate.
I assume, because of demographics/census data, they’ll still have a pretty good idea of how many students at each school would qualify for free/reduced price lunch if that was still a program.

Another thing they could easily do is look at what the school’s related youth program does at the Bantam level. Tartan, for example, not only doesn’t field a AA Bantam team, they don’t even field a Bantam A team anymore. Their top Bantam team was B1 last season, finished .500, and is actually now called East Metro Stars as they co-op with North St. Paul, Johnson and Como at youth level. There is no way Tartan can compete anymore at AA level in high school. MSHSL needs to start using a little common sense, which I know the organization unfortunately is not known for.
ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy »

Hearing Tartan and Hastings appealed down some are saying they both got approved... I can understand Tartan but was surprised by Hastings ... If true would fill the giant hole in teams for 4A the section is down to 6 teams right now.
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

Trying hard to stay apolitical…. Inflation and Government at the State and state levels decreasing the income levels needed for Government support are changing the way the MSHSL qualifies things. (Is changing the poverty requirement for a family of 4, say, from $60,000 to $95,000 really an increase or a decrease?) The MSHSL needs to adapt quickly.

It is fairly obvious that the increase in people depending on Government helps the party passing the laws…..until they over reach.
East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy »

goldy313 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:22 am Trying hard to stay apolitical…. Inflation and Government at the State and state levels decreasing the income levels needed for Government support are changing the way the MSHSL qualifies things. (Is changing the poverty requirement for a family of 4, say, from $60,000 to $95,000 really an increase or a decrease?) The MSHSL needs to adapt quickly.

It is fairly obvious that the increase in people depending on Government helps the party passing the laws…..until they over reach.
Um, you didn't really try very hard to stay apolitical.

But I get your last point, someone in a casa blanca sent $12 billion in dependency-creating cash farm aid in 2020. (It worked!)
Hockey Is For Everyone
BP

Post by BP »

ClassAGuy wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:39 am Hearing Tartan and Hastings appealed down some are saying they both got approved... I can understand Tartan but was surprised by Hastings ... If true would fill the giant hole in teams for 4A the section is down to 6 teams right now.
Hastings never appealed down and are AA. Tartan tried to appeal down and got denied.
BP

Post by BP »

ClassAGuy wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:12 am Heard a rumor Tartan got approval for Class A any truth to that?

No. Denied.
The51

Post by The51 »

Brodziak Fan Club wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:05 pm I’m on spring break and have some time on my hands. Combine that with the fact that I’m a total dork about high school hockey and geography and I present to you… a 3-class high school hockey realignment. The classes are based on who I think “should” be in each class instead of pure enrollment numbers. Classes AAA and AA would each have 48 teams, leaving 49 for Class A. I know others have done similar things on here. This is just for fun… take it or leave it :mrgreen: .

1AAA
Northfield
Lakeville South
Lakeville North
Eastview
Rosemount
Hastings

2AAA
Holy Family
Eden Prairie
Chanhassen
Chaska
Shakopee
Prior Lake

3AAA
Holy Angels
Cretin-Derham Hall
St. Thomas Academy
Woodbury
East Ridge
Park of Cottage Grove

4AAA
Hill-Murray
Stillwater
Mahtomedi
White Bear Lake
Gentry Academy
Mounds View

5AAA
Totino-Grace
Champlin Park
Maple Grove
Rogers
St. Michael-Albertville
Buffalo

6AAA
Wayzata
Orono
Benilde-St. Margaret’s
Blake
Minnetonka
Edina

7AAA
Rock Ridge
Grand Rapids
Hermantown
Duluth East
Andover
Centennial

8AAA
Elk River
Moorhead
Bemidji
East Grand Forks
Roseau
Warroad
Kyle,

I agree with your thoughts on adding a third class. I know one commenter replied saying 24 teams at the state tournament would make it feel watered down, which is true, but I think the good it would do outweighs that negative. I just think you made AAA a little too big. Here is how I would break it out
Attachments
sects.PNG
sects.PNG (37.63 KiB) Viewed 25437 times
jg2112

Post by jg2112 »

I would really like that 3 section alignment, with this caveat:

The team that finishes last in each AAA section is "relegated" to the relevant AA section the following season, with the corresponding section champion being "promoted" to AAA.

Same thing for A and AA. This would stop the constant lobbying for sections and would place teams into sections by merit.

Now, it might cause some player movement, but that player movement already happens with the current stale, predictable format.
BSUBeaver

Post by BSUBeaver »

jg2112 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:35 am I would really like that 3 section alignment, with this caveat:

The team that finishes last in each AAA section is "relegated" to the relevant AA section the following season, with the corresponding section champion being "promoted" to AAA.

Same thing for A and AA. This would stop the constant lobbying for sections and would place teams into sections by merit.

Now, it might cause some player movement, but that player movement already happens with the current stale, predictable format.
I think you have to do a longer period of time than a one year look back period. Teams have "one off" years where they can either be extremely successful or extremely dreadful. I posted on Page 2 a "Success Points" system that looks back at the past four years and moves teams up. I also think changing everything every year will create scheduling nightmares for some ADs who want to try and keep their games within the proper class at the non-conference level. A lot of scheduling agreements are two year agreements so each team gets a home game out of it.
East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy »

It's starting to sound like a convention of Trekkies around here.

Has anybody seen my Spock ears?
Hockey Is For Everyone
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

bardown27 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:58 am
ClassAGuy wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:57 am From Youth Hockey Hub Twitter
BHS

YHH hearing the following information on section realignment for next year.

New Prague and Northfield to 1AA
Waconia to 2AA
Two Rivers to 3AA
Cambridge to 7AA

Teams petitioned to go from AA to A but denied:

Armstrong/Cooper, B-ville/AV, Osseo, St. Cloud

Things are going to be interesting some movement Class A Sections are gonna need to be fixed 4A right now only has 6 teams curious to see some more major movement than normal in a 2 year cycle
If the above is true (I'm skeptical on NF, as someone on twitter pointed out the MSHSL enrollment sheet for 23/24 and 24/25 has NF 100 students below the AA cutoff of 1202), I see the sections as follows:

2 (9): Chan, Chaska, EP, HF, Jefferson, PL, Shakopee, Tonka
That's 8?
bardown27

Post by bardown27 »

Slap Shot wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:16 am
bardown27 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:58 am
ClassAGuy wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:57 am From Youth Hockey Hub Twitter
BHS

YHH hearing the following information on section realignment for next year.

New Prague and Northfield to 1AA
Waconia to 2AA
Two Rivers to 3AA
Cambridge to 7AA

Teams petitioned to go from AA to A but denied:

Armstrong/Cooper, B-ville/AV, Osseo, St. Cloud

Things are going to be interesting some movement Class A Sections are gonna need to be fixed 4A right now only has 6 teams curious to see some more major movement than normal in a 2 year cycle
If the above is true (I'm skeptical on NF, as someone on twitter pointed out the MSHSL enrollment sheet for 23/24 and 24/25 has NF 100 students below the AA cutoff of 1202), I see the sections as follows:

2 (9): Chan, Chaska, EP, HF, Jefferson, PL, Shakopee, Tonka
That's 8?
Missed adding Waconia
StanleyCup55

Post by StanleyCup55 »

It would be nice if the league just said “here fill out this form and you’re eligible to compete at state” that way it’s more fair because then all 175 teams will make state every year. Play the tourney over a two week period with games everyday. If you lose in the first round you get demoted to the Wisconsin state tournament for the next 5 years.
blueblood

Post by blueblood »

](*,) ](*,)
Play Like a Champion Today
Brodziak Fan Club

Post by Brodziak Fan Club »

lol at the snark and vitriol coming from ESPG and StanleyCup, respectively (blueblood, not sure what your emojis are referring to). How dare people think and talk about high school hockey on a high school hockey message board?

To paraphrase the great Allen Iverson: If you don’t like it, don’t read it.
The51

Post by The51 »

Brodziak Fan Club wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:08 pm lol at the snark and vitriol coming from ESPG and StanleyCup, respectively (blueblood, not sure what your emojis are referring to). How dare people think and talk about high school hockey on a high school hockey message board?

To paraphrase the great Allen Iverson: If you don’t like it, don’t read it.
I had fun with the exercise, appreciate you kicking it off
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

YHH tweet speculates we may get the MSHSL section change announcement this week
ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy »

WestMetro wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 7:25 pm YHH tweet speculates we may get the MSHSL section change announcement this week
Not Speculation as new sections will be out during the MSHSL Board Meeting this Thursday April 6th starting at 9:30 AM

Full Agenda Below the New Sections are part of the Action items.

https://www.mshsl.org/sites/default/fil ... %204.6.pdf
ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy »

New Section come out today at 9:30 AM at the MSHSL Board Meeting

However, information may not be public till tomorrow......
Smooth

Post by Smooth »

Cookster wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:28 pm I wish they would treat Private/Charter Schools similar to how they do it in Georgia. Every Private School has a multiplier ( was 2x, now I beleive it is 1.5. So if Mahtomedi's numbers are 1150, they would bump up to 1725, and they would move up to AA without a choice
You nailed Cookster. Good input
ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy »

From Youth Hockey Hub

MSHSL

Pending board approval, new competitive section maps will be available to schools later today (April 6), public will be able to see them tomorrow (April 7).
ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy »

New Class A Sections According to YHH

Section 1A
Albert Lea
Austin
Dodge County
Faribault
La Crescent-Hokah
Red Wing
Rochester Lourdes
Waseca
Winona/Winona Cotter

Section 2A
Breck
Delano
Hutchinson
Litchfield/Dassel-Cokato
Minneapolis
Mound-Westonka
Orono
Providence Academy

Section 3A
Fairmont
Luverne
Mankato East/Loyola
Mankato West
Marshall
Minnesota River
New Ulm
Redwood Valley
Windom
Worthington

Section 4A
Bloomington Kennedy
Chisago Lakes
Mahtomedi
Simley
South St. Paul
Southwest Christian
St. Paul Academy
St. Paul Highland Park
St. Paul Johnson

Section 5A
Becker/Big Lake
Little Falls
Monticello
Mora-Milaca
Pine City
Princeton
River Lakes
Sauk Rapids-Rice
St. Cloud Cathedral

Section 6A
Alexandria
Breckenridge
Fergus Falls
Morris-Benson Area
Northern Lakes
Prairie Center
Wadena-Deer Creek
Willmar

Section 7A
Cloquet-Esko-Carlton
Ely/Tower-Soudan
Greenway
Hermantown
Hibbing/Chisholm
International Falls
Moose Lake
North Shore
Proctor

Section 8A
Warroad
Bagley/Fosston
Crookston
Detroit Lakes
East Grand Forks
Kittson County Central
Lake of the Woods
Park Rapids et al.
Red Lake Falls
Thief River Falls
defense

Post by defense »

Just my opinion but Detroit Lakes should be in 6a. 8a has 10 teams, 6a has 8.
ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy »

defense wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 12:31 pm Just my opinion but Detroit Lakes should be in 6a. 8a has 10 teams, 6a has 8.
100 % agree also dont agree with moving Bloomington and Richfield to Metro East Section 4A but again they want to make as little changes as possible in a 2 year cycle.

Looking at new Map.... **IF** Northfield drops Randolph from Co-opt (Which is rumored not confirmed) they would be placed back in 1A most likely in October before the Winter season starts next year.