2023-24 Season Transfers

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

WestMetro

2023-24 Season Transfers

Post by WestMetro »

Never too early to start this thread .

One pretty interesting rumor floating around already of a private to public transfer
Brodziak Fan Club

Re: 2023-24 Season Transfers

Post by Brodziak Fan Club »

"Westy Vague Rumor Season" is one of my favorite times of the year! :lol:
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Brodziak Fan Club wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:40 pm "Westy Vague Rumor Season" is one of my favorite times of the year! :lol:
Ha! Gotta start a little entertainment for the off season !
blueblood

Post by blueblood »

Section 6?
Play Like a Champion Today
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

blueblood wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:37 amSection 6?
Yes, and No 🤣
East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy »

My cousin's ex-husband told me he had talked to a guy who was at a suburban bar who had overheard a conversation in which someone said his neighbor's nephew might transfer from a declining power to an up and comer. Something about being upset with the coaching situation.

But I'm not going to reveal any more than that, for now, because it's pretty easy to figure it out from there anyway.
Hockey Is For Everyone
slacsap

Post by slacsap »

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:01 am My cousin's ex-husband told me he had talked to a guy who was at a suburban bar who had overheard a conversation in which someone said his neighbor's nephew might transfer from a declining power to an up and comer. Something about being upset with the coaching situation.

But I'm not going to reveal any more than that, for now, because it's pretty easy to figure it out from there anyway.
I heard the same rumor.
yesiplayedhockey

Post by yesiplayedhockey »

Should we stop calling it season transfers and just start calling it what is really is? open portal !!!
westsidescout

Post by westsidescout »

WestMetro wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:33 pm Never too early to start this thread .

One pretty interesting rumor floating around already of a private to public transfer
Well...if he doesn't end up purifying himself in the waters of lake minnetonka he will be bathing in the hudson or east river.
The51

Post by The51 »

What are the transfer rules as they stand? How have they changed over the past decade or so
HockeyTalk2020

Post by HockeyTalk2020 »

If you have money or live in a divorce home anything is possible. Thats the transfer rules.
westsidescout

Post by westsidescout »

The51 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:25 am What are the transfer rules as they stand? How have they changed over the past decade or so
As I understand them (doesn't mean it's 100% accurate);

-You can transfer into any school your heart desires if doing so as an incoming freshman (i.e. Kid lives in Edina but enrolls at Eden Prairie as a 9th grader)

-You can transfer into any school at any time if you move outside of your current school district (i.e. someone moves from Edina to Wayzata)
*Now, if you have divorced or separated parents who live in different districts you could claim to be moving from dads house to moms house and transfer into another school (this happens more than you think)
**You could simply rent an apartment in another district and claim as permanent residence and transfer (I know kids who have done / currently do this)

-You could claim financial hardship and leave a private for a public (I am not sure what proof you have to offer to show said financial hardship)

-You could claim you're being bullied a a given school and need to transfer (I think they're cracking down on burden of proof these days)

There's a couple other options that escape me at the moment but you get the jist of it
westsidescout

Post by westsidescout »

HockeyTalk2020 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:32 am If you have money or live in a divorce home anything is possible. Thats the transfer rules.
This is a much more succinct answer than mine :D
headsupsticksdown

Post by headsupsticksdown »

westsidescout wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:37 am
The51 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:25 am What are the transfer rules as they stand? How have they changed over the past decade or so

-You can transfer into any school your heart desires if doing so as an incoming freshman (i.e. Kid lives in Edina but enrolls at Eden Prairie as a 9th grader)

-You can transfer into any school at any time if you move outside of your current school district (i.e. someone moves from Edina to Wayzata)
*Now, if you have divorced or separated parents who live in different districts you could claim to be moving from dads house to moms house and transfer into another school (this happens more than you think)
**You could simply rent an apartment in another district and claim as permanent residence and transfer (I know kids who have done / currently do this)

-You could claim financial hardship and leave a private for a public (I am not sure what proof you have to offer to show said financial hardship)

-You could claim you're being bullied a a given school and need to transfer (I think they're cracking down on burden of proof these days)

There's a couple other options that escape me at the moment but you get the jist of it
So, how does open enrollment work? If you are open enrolling into a school and reside outside of that school's boundary, do you need to sit (ie. for a year), before you are eligible to play for said school--much like at the youth level?
Fightinghawklover

Post by Fightinghawklover »

headsupsticksdown wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:14 am

So, how does open enrollment work? If you are open enrolling into a school and reside outside of that school's boundary, do you need to sit (ie. for a year), before you are eligible to play for said school--much like at the youth level?
Don’t need to sit if you open enroll and start day 1 at the new school as a 9th grader.
bardown27

Post by bardown27 »

Fightinghawklover wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:01 pm

Don’t need to sit if you open enroll and start day 1 at the new school as a 9th grader.
Correct, but if it is after your freshman year and you don't meet the above criteria, you are ineligible for varsity sports for a year from the day you open enroll.
headsupsticksdown

bardown27 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:07 pm
Fightinghawklover wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:01 pm

Correct, but if it is after your freshman year and you don't meet the above criteria, you are ineligible for varsity sports for a year from the day you open enroll.
OK, so that's consistent with the youth level where you are not eligible for the top level team for a year. Although, I am sure there have been several situations where this rule did not apply....
blueline_6

Post by blueline_6 »

From the MSHLS site (https://www.mshsl.org/eligibility):

If I transfer to a new high school, will I be eligible for varsity competition?
If you transfer to a new high school, you will be eligible for varsity athletic competition if:

1. You are enrolling in 9th grade for the first time;

2. Your entire family moves to a new residence in a different attendance area;

3. Your residence is changed pursuant to a court order;

4. Your parents are divorced or separated and you move from one parent to another. (This option may be used just one time after you enroll in 9th grade); or

5. You and your family have moved to Minnesota from another state or country.

If none of the above apply, you will be ineligible (for one calendar year from the date of the transfer) from participating in interscholastic varsity athletic competition. You will, however, be eligible to participate in varsity tryouts, practices, scrimmages, jamborees, etc., and non-varsity (JV, B-squad, etc.) competitions. You will not be eligible for varsity competition.

What happens if none of the five provisions above apply and I am determined ineligible?
If none of the five provisions set forth above apply and you are determined ineligible, you can request that the MSHSL review the determination of ineligibility.

There are seven circumstances with which you can request a review:

1. You are transferred to a new high school within the same school district;

2. A change in family circumstances such as adoption, abandonment, or death of a parent.

3. A substantial negative change in your family’s economic status. For example, if one or both parent(s) loses their job or other means of income.

4. School student Bullying or Harassment as identified in Minnesota State Statutes 121A.03 and 121A.031.

5. Administrative error. For example, the receiving school misapplied MSHSL bylaws or policies.

6. You have completed a licensed program for chemical dependency or mental health (provided all other eligibility rules are followed) and the receiving school will better serve the student’s needs.

7. The principals and activities directors from both the sending and receiving schools agree that circumstances exist which warrant a review of varsity eligibility by the MSHSL.
StanleyCup55

Post by StanleyCup55 »

So basically what Tonka did, and many other teams, was against the rules unless those 9 kids’ parents actually all got divorced. Why even have the rule if you’re not going to police it?
headsupsticksdown

StanleyCup55 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:31 pm So basically what Tonka did, and many other teams, was against the rules unless those 9 kids’ parents actually all got divorced. Why even have the rule if you’re not going to police it?
Well, I think the loophole here (and it's not really a loophole, people just use it as one) is the address piece. Go rent a place, use that as an address and nobody can really do anything about it, right? In contrast to a lot of other areas, Minnetonka surprisingly has very little apartment communities, so there's either someone offering up each room of their house/investment property or whatever on Airbnb for all these kids to use or there are a few dark and empty houses in Tonka being rented just for the address.. 8)
blueblood

Post by blueblood »

Time to lock this up
Play Like a Champion Today
slacsap

Post by slacsap »

To be fair to the MSHSL (it's almost painful to write that), they have neither the budget nor the personnel to police rule enforcement. they have to rely on the school administrators to self enforce and, obviously, some will do that better than others.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

I'll come to BlueBloods defense here .

Kids come and kids go . Three of Tonkas recent biggest association/ high school stars elected to not finish their high school career at Tonka : Beckett Hendrickson , Drew Stewart and Kam Hendrickson . Things worked out well for all of them , each kid and family's decisions are unique . Ironically it was Hendrickson that helped take Chan to 2 OTs against Tonka in section finals .

Then when they got to state , Tonkas first round opponent Hill draws from a number of different associations , and one of second round Andovers biggest stars was a high school transfer from out of district . Again each kid and family's decisions are unique.
yesiplayedhockey

Post by yesiplayedhockey »

The rules only applies to those who are dumb enough not to figure out that there truly ain't no rules

If a coach yells at your kid for going offsides once, you can claim the bully rule...The AD will be more than happy to sign any paperwork.

If you have a little spare money, sign a six month lease for a studio apartment and just have your kid drive from your current house to the new school every day. You won't ever step foot in that rental property so don't even bother buying furniture

If you're wanting to move, just call one of the bigger schools or smaller towns with a great manufacturing facility..They will gladly hire mom and you can move there

The bottom line - The coach, parent captain and AD knows every trick in the bag to make this as smooth as possible for your kid

The fat are getting fatter
FlinFlonBomber

Post by FlinFlonBomber »

How many transfers did Minnetonka bring in? I heard they had transfers but not sure who they are, how many or where they came from. Furthermore. I thought it was interesting how the Tonka boys program was not mentioned in the Trib article a while back on transfers but the girls program was. My bet is the Skippers that were let go and their parents aren't going to let this fly, and a hornet's nest is a brewing. Tonka's BS is so wrong for high school hockey. C'mon MSHSL!