The Rise of the North in Coming Years?

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

ClassAGuy

The Rise of the North in Coming Years?

Post by ClassAGuy »

Northern Hockey appears to be fighting its way back looking at the Youth hockey results from today's state championships

Hibbing won both the Pee Wee A and Bantam A State Titles today

Moorhead won the Pee Wee AA and is currently tied with Edina in the 3rd period of the AA Bantam Title Game.

This is a positive sign for our outstate posters as Northern Hockey appears to on the rise and could be winning titles again soon at the High School level?
The51

Re: The Rise of the North in Coming Years?

Post by The51 »

With a win over Edina here, Moorhead would go back to back in PWAA and Bantam AA. Would be great if somewhere in there they could finally breakthrough and capture that elusive HS title
BlueLineSpecial

Post by BlueLineSpecial »

Depth will be the biggest hurdle to overcome for northern teams. Many can assemble a great top line, or have an amazing goaltender. But an ability to have 4 lines playing at the level you can find in the metro is going to make it tough. Not saying it can't happen. Look at a Roseau, for example. They may produce a fantastic top line periodically, or even a couple of very good to great lines. But is that going to hold up in the Tourney when you go up against an Edina or Hill where they can roll 4 lines? Not sure. Moorhead and even Duluth are slightly different stories IMO. They are big enough communities to produce a team with good depth.
The City of Hill Murray is beautiful this time of year
ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy »

BlueLineSpecial wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:53 pm Depth will be the biggest hurdle to overcome for northern teams. Many can assemble a great top line, or have an amazing goaltender. But an ability to have 4 lines playing at the level you can find in the metro is going to make it tough. Not saying it can't happen. Look at a Roseau, for example. They may produce a fantastic top line periodically, or even a couple of very good to great lines. But is that going to hold up in the Tourney when you go up against an Edina or Hill where they can roll 4 lines? Not sure. Moorhead and even Duluth are slightly different stories IMO. They are big enough communities to produce a team with good depth.
Yes which is why the above is promising for the the north as them winning at both the Pee Wee and Bantam Levels is huge means they have lots of good players from their 9th, 8th, 7th and 6th grades coming in.

Winning at both the Bantam and Pee Wee level should mean depth this is not just one small group it is across 4 age groups winning which would translate at the High school level to depth right?

Doesnt that scream depth?
BlueLineSpecial

ClassAGuy wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:56 pm
BlueLineSpecial wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:53 pm Depth will be the biggest hurdle to overcome for northern teams. Many can assemble a great top line, or have an amazing goaltender. But an ability to have 4 lines playing at the level you can find in the metro is going to make it tough. Not saying it can't happen. Look at a Roseau, for example. They may produce a fantastic top line periodically, or even a couple of very good to great lines. But is that going to hold up in the Tourney when you go up against an Edina or Hill where they can roll 4 lines? Not sure. Moorhead and even Duluth are slightly different stories IMO. They are big enough communities to produce a team with good depth.
Yes which is why them winning the at both Pee Wee and Bantam Levels is huge means they have lots of good players from their 9th, 8th, 7th and 6th grades coming in.

Winning at both the Bantam and Pee Wee level should mean depth this is not just one small group it is across 4 age groups winning which would translate at the High school level to depth right?

Yeah, sort of. I think it’s easier to win at the PeeWee or even Bantam level with high end talent and less depth. And I’m speaking from a place of ignorance - I don’t know anything about Moorhead’s PeeWee and Bantam teams. Mostly I was just making a general statement that there have been a number of really good northern AA teams in the last 10-15 years that could compete with any metro team when comparing top line or goaltender, but that got beat due to depth.
ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy »

BlueLineSpecial wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:09 pm
Yes which is why them winning the at both Pee Wee and Bantam Levels is huge means they have lots of good players from their 9th, 8th, 7th and 6th grades coming in.

Yeah, sort of. I think it’s easier to win at the PeeWee or even Bantam level with high end talent and less depth. And I’m speaking from a place of ignorance - I don’t know anything about Moorhead’s PeeWee and Bantam teams. Mostly I was just making a general statement that there have been a number of really good northern AA teams in the last 10-15 years that could compete with any metro team when comparing top line or goaltender, but that got beat due to depth.
Rapids was able to do it recently so not impossible.... Again I know AA is a different animal but Moorhead has been a machine over the last 4 years in youth hockey they will have depth this is not just a one line group.

Great to see what Hibbing is doing and awesome to see traditional Range School back on Top and contender again in Class A
BlueLineSpecial

ClassAGuy wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:13 pm
BlueLineSpecial wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:09 pm

Rapids was able to do it recently so not impossible.... Again I know AA is a different animal but Moorhead has been a machine over the last 4 years in youth hockey they will have depth this is not just a one line group.

Great to see what Hibbing is doing and awesome to see traditional Range School back on Top and contender again in Class A
Yeah, I threw in the Moorhead and Duluth disclaimer in there. They’re big enough communities where I think a team can produce the depth necessary to win it all
ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy »

ClassAGuy wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:21 pm Northern Hockey appears to be fighting its way back looking at the Youth hockey results from today's state championships

Hibbing won both the Pee Wee A and Bantam A State Titles today

Moorhead won the Pee Wee AA and is currently tied with Edina in the 3rd period of the AA Bantam Title Game.

This is a positive sign for our outstate posters as Northern Hockey appears to on the rise and could be winning titles again soon at the High School level?
Edina knocked off the Defending AA Bantam Champs Moorhead in Double OT still promising times for both Moorhead and Hibbing
Goose21

Post by Goose21 »

One thing to note is that some of the better A high school programs play AA in youth hockey.
Forecheck, Backcheck, Paycheck
ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy »

Goose21 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:45 pm One thing to note is that some of the better A high school programs play AA in youth hockey.
Yes, Goose 5 Class A schools play AA in Youth for Bantams & 4 for Pee Wee AA
Alexandria, Hermantown, East Grand Forks, Mahtomedi & Waseca (for Bantams)

Hibbing went at Bantams went (52-4-0) swept Alex AA in Bantams lost to Hermantown in OT and lost to EGF by 1 goal.

Mahtomedi AA Bantams were a struggle many of the top kids in that age group going to or already on Hill Murray. The Zephyrs AA PW is legit but heard that might be lots of future Pios also.

Waseca went AA Bantams this winter and beat Maht actually have a good group coming up that will be a force in 1A in 2 years keep an eye on the Bluejays

Hibbing has closed the gap significantly on the Hawks in the Youth ranks at these ages should be some classic battles in the future for 7A.

This Hibbing Bantam group won at PW's two years ago they will be a force in Class A.... Good enough to break through and beat the Hawks... I dunno but they will be a top tier Class A team for sure.

rainier can add more but to win both the Bantam & Pee Wee State Title at A this weekend very impressive and bright future for the Bluejackets.
Mite-dad

Post by Mite-dad »

Great to hear about Hibbing. In my mind, I was wondering if anyone besides Mahtomedi, Hermantown or EGF/Warroad would have a chance to win in single A in the coming years. Maybe Hibbing or SCC could have a prayer.
OldManRiver

Post by OldManRiver »

I think you give Hibbing a year or two to get bigger and stronger (hard to play against guys three years older than you are) and they're going to have a couple year run near the top for A. Like any smaller program (in the city or out-state) they will need to hold all of the players for the full run.
ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy »

OldManRiver wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:12 am I think you give Hibbing a year or two to get bigger and stronger (hard to play against guys three years older than you are) and they're going to have a couple year run near the top for A. Like any smaller program (in the city or out-state) they will need to hold all of the players for the full run.
Agree! Next year I have heard they going to go young let these young guys play as 9th graders and Sophomores. The group behind them has a few studs also. They will learn next year but the years after next winter they will be a serious contender. I think even this coming winter they make noise but will be very young... As always should be noted the Hawks look strong at these age groups as well. However, if Hibbing can breakthrough they could win a title at the X.
WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus »

I don't watch much Bantam hockey but since the Bantam A and AA tournament was held close by I went this weekend. Hibbing was deep and talented. I think they might have been the best team I saw this weekend.
StanleyCup55

Post by StanleyCup55 »

Don’t worry Hermantown will steal a Hibbing player or two and make their annual trips. It’s what they do
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

Seeing Hibbing/Chisholm Bantams at Christmas and then hearing the Pee Wees are good too led me to anoint them The Next Warroad.
Be kind. Rewind.
Puckguy19

Post by Puckguy19 »

I believe you can still get by with 3 lines and two sets of D, but that is still a challenge for northern teams. Maybe if they started the year committed to depth development, it wouldn't be a stretch come tourney time.
rainier2

Post by rainier2 »

ClassAGuy wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:25 am
OldManRiver wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:12 am I think you give Hibbing a year or two to get bigger and stronger (hard to play against guys three years older than you are) and they're going to have a couple year run near the top for A. Like any smaller program (in the city or out-state) they will need to hold all of the players for the full run.
Agree! Next year I have heard they going to go young let these young guys play as 9th graders and Sophomores. The group behind them has a few studs also. They will learn next year but the years after next winter they will be a serious contender. I think even this coming winter they make noise but will be very young... As always should be noted the Hawks look strong at these age groups as well. However, if Hibbing can breakthrough they could win a title at the X.
Will be a lot of fun to watch these kids come up the next few seasons. I'd be surprised if any freshman played varsity next year. There are a couple kids who could get varsity minutes, but IMO I think they'd be better off playing a billion minutes over 55 games as bantams and make another run to state.

This varsity coaching staff has been a breath of fresh air since they took over and they have gotten the most out of the talent they've had. Three years ago if you would have told me this year's Hibbing team would be ranked in the top ten almost all season and come within 15 seconds of taking Hermantown to OT at sections, I'd have said you were insane. Shows what I know. #-o

Yes, Hermantown, EGF, Mahtomedi, etc., will all be tough to beat, but Hibbing has competed well with them through youth, and with the talent and coaching I've seen, I like our chances. 8)
OldManRiver

Post by OldManRiver »

rainier2 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:10 pm
ClassAGuy wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:25 am
Will be a lot of fun to watch these kids come up the next few seasons. I'd be surprised if any freshman played varsity next year. There are a couple kids who could get varsity minutes, but IMO I think they'd be better off playing a billion minutes over 55 games as bantams and make another run to state.

This varsity coaching staff has been a breath of fresh air since they took over and they have gotten the most out of the talent they've had. Three years ago if you would have told me this year's Hibbing team would be ranked in the top ten almost all season and come within 15 seconds of taking Hermantown to OT at sections, I'd have said you were insane. Shows what I know. #-o

Yes, Hermantown, EGF, Mahtomedi, etc., will all be tough to beat, but Hibbing has competed well with them through youth, and with the talent and coaching I've seen, I like our chances. 8)
This is a good point. I think the often overlooked "X Factor" is the coaching. For a team that has less depth, how that depth is deployed and getting all of the kids to buy into it is important to success.
WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus »

The Hibbing defenseman #2 rushed the puck up ice in the championship game and ended up behind the Delano net from where he then scored a "Michigan" goal. The Hibbing defensemen really stood out.
rainier2

Post by rainier2 »

WarmUpTheBus wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:39 pm The Hibbing defenseman #2 rushed the puck up ice in the championship game and ended up behind the Delano net from where he then scored a "Michigan" goal. The Hibbing defensemen really stood out.
https://twitter.com/JasonFi64253527/sta ... 8985003008 8)
mnmouth

Post by mnmouth »

It's all well and good to consider a Rise of Northern hockey on the horizon, but Class A always has at least one Northern team in the conversation for a State title. Hibbing sweeping Class A in Bantams and Pee Wees at State this year really indicates nothing – except maybe a welcome return to prominence for Hibbing hockey. But at the Class A level.
IMHO a true resurrection of Northern hockey would mean becoming more prominent – and more Northern teams consistently relevant - at the AA level. Get back to me on a Rise in Northern hockey when more Northern Class A programs actually opt up to AA.
ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy »

mnmouth wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:40 am It's all well and good to consider a Rise of Northern hockey on the horizon, but Class A always has at least one Northern team in the conversation for a State title. Hibbing sweeping Class A in Bantams and Pee Wees at State this year really indicates nothing – except maybe a welcome return to prominence for Hibbing hockey. But at the Class A level.
IMHO a true resurrection of Northern hockey would mean becoming more prominent – and more Northern teams consistently relevant - at the AA level. Get back to me on a Rise in Northern hockey when more Northern Class A programs actually opt up to AA.
I was trying to point out that Hibbing did the A Bantam & PW sweep and Moorhead another Northern School almost did the same at the AA level.

EGF won back to back A Bantams titles before Hibbing this year. Last Year Moorhead did sweep both the AA Pee Wee and AA Bantam Title.

This year at the Pee Wee Level Hibbing defeated a very good Warroad Team in the A Title game.

I thought it was promising that over the last 2 years the Titles have been going to Northern Schools which could bold well in a few years instead of seeing the all Metro Final in High School or no Outstate team even in the AA Semis the last 2 years. Again, small sample size but I thought seeing the Northern names emerge at the Youth level could be promising for High School.

Agree with your overall assessment at the AA level

I know the Class A Level 7A/8A with EGF, Hermantown, Hibbing, Warroad all should be very good in the coming years.
Corn Cobb

Post by Corn Cobb »

mnmouth wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:40 am It's all well and good to consider a Rise of Northern hockey on the horizon, but Class A always has at least one Northern team in the conversation for a State title. Hibbing sweeping Class A in Bantams and Pee Wees at State this year really indicates nothing – except maybe a welcome return to prominence for Hibbing hockey. But at the Class A level.
True to this!!
Corn Cobb

Post by Corn Cobb »

ClassAGuy wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:16 pm
I was trying to point out that Hibbing did the A Bantam & PW sweep and Moorhead another Northern School almost did the same at the AA level.

EGF won back to back A Bantams titles before Hibbing this year. Last Year Moorhead did sweep both the AA Pee Wee and AA Bantam Title.

This year at the Pee Wee Level Hibbing defeated a very good Warroad Team in the A Title game.

I thought it was promising that over the last 2 years the Titles have been going to Northern Schools which could bode well in a few years instead of seeing the all Metro Final in High School or no Outstate team even in the AA Semis the last 2 years. Again, small sample size but I thought seeing the Northern names emerge at the Youth level could be promising for High School.

Agree with your overall assessment at the AA level

I know the Class A Level 7A/8A with EGF, Hermantown, Hibbing, Warroad all should be very good in the coming years.
FYP.....Has nothing to do with Matt BOLDy. :mrgreen: